FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   sea breeze (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5888)

Unimog Bob 03-01-2008 07:42 PM

sea breeze

looks like we had a sea breeze today. Did anyone get some? I missed out. Hope it does it again tomorrow!

Erick 03-01-2008 08:45 PM

Yeah, I went to Indian Rocks and did a mini-downwinder probably 7 miles down from were I parked my vehicle. I saw another rider on an Omega HD but I didn't recognize him. It blew probably 12-15 knots. I got back to the initial location by riding the trolley. Got love that trolley man!

LSUkiter 03-01-2008 10:24 PM

Kind of off topic, but how are you self-launching when you're on the beaches by yourself. I know there's been plenty of threads on it in the past, but I work near IRB and on a day I get off work early I'd like to do a little downwinder, but won't likely have anyone with me. Being a fairly new rider, I'm nervous to be out on the beach self-launching with nobody around. Always figured I would end up drift launching.

inferno 03-02-2008 07:05 AM

what kind of kite do you have?

Erick 03-02-2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSUkiter (Post 29842)
Kind of off topic, but how are you self-launching when you're on the beaches by yourself. I know there's been plenty of threads on it in the past, but I work near IRB and on a day I get off work early I'd like to do a little downwinder, but won't likely have anyone with me. Being a fairly new rider, I'm nervous to be out on the beach self-launching with nobody around. Always figured I would end up drift launching.

I personaly selflunch if I have to only in light wind and when flying my bow. If it's blowing more than 15 knots I require assistance.

Selflunching is all about practice, practice, practice (in light wind of course).
There are different techniques to selflunch so do your research before attempting.

bryanleighty 03-02-2008 05:34 PM

Dan B. and I got out on our sailboat in the early afternoon... wind really picked up a lot.. great sailing day for sure..

on those light days i'd rather be sailing..
;)
:)

LSUkiter 03-02-2008 09:40 PM

a waroo
lack of experience is waht keeps me from even trying for practice, cause there's so many different recomended ways

inferno 03-03-2008 07:18 AM

for a waroo, i can really only think of two main ways,
one is to anchor off the CL to a fixed object
two is to set up the kite, hook in and walk perpendicular to the wind till the kite spins around and rolls over and launches

but you definately want to practice these in sub 20 untill you get used to it, also with method two, use the scott technique of one hand on the QR and the leash on the outside line until you get the kite in the air and are sure its safe....

bryanleighty 03-03-2008 08:11 AM

self launch on a Waroo is pretty simple in medium wind conditions but if you are at all nervous about it.. dont do it..

practice in an open area.. set your leash to one of the outside lines for a full flag out in the case of a problem..

check some videos on how to self launch a bow..

using the leash to a fixed object method is BY FAR the easiest and safest.. for both launching and landing.. but not always possible..

really be careful with this as its a one-shot deal.. you cross a line, tangle a bridle and you are done.

Once you get comfortable with your kite you will see how easy it can be.. take your time, practice in light winds.. be safe..

bryanleighty 03-03-2008 08:17 AM

per scotts post.. video 2 is how i do it 90% of the time..

a BIG item to factor in is that your kite will slide on its leading edge a bit.. sometimes a lot depending on your angle to the kite when you put tension on the lines..

watch out for hazards in the launch area..