FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Events (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Now that the season is starting (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7252)

BigR 10-03-2008 10:29 AM

Now that the season is starting

Are there any plans to do the 2nd half of the 2008 Tampa Bay Kitemasters?

That is, the boarder cross or course race portion of it not the downwind part which was already done?

Or how about going out and just doing some course racing just for fuin? maybe wager a 6 pack of imported and winner takes all?

C. Moore 10-03-2008 11:54 AM

I think Jay wanted to do speed runs. I'm sure he will post soon on this.

BigR 10-03-2008 01:21 PM

I didn't know we had a radar gun,

How about some runs this weekend , just for fun? N E body in?

I've got a super fast quad swallow tail that blazes on a broad reach :D

C. Moore 10-03-2008 01:22 PM

GPS forerunner's.

Steve-O 10-03-2008 09:57 PM

I have a GPS if you guys need it. Let me know.

CrazyJay 10-07-2008 07:23 PM

The Tampa Bay KiteMasters SPEED RUNS will be held in St Petersburg this fall.
I am still deciding on the overall format.
There will be a limited number of spaces available (approx 25-30) as we only have 5 Garmin GPS's.
The location will be at the Skyway riding area and the conditions will need to be just right to make this work. 25-35 knots E to ENE and a mid to low tide.
I will keep y'all updated.
Thanks
Jay

toby wilson 10-11-2008 12:37 PM

Wish I didn't weigh so much sometimes... :)

kent 11-19-2008 06:23 AM

Jay,

you might want to check with Gebi as he has just returned from the speed event in Africa. He was training Rob Douglas to break 50knots. According to him, you really don't need 25-30 as even 20 will do. Due to the fact that you're not breaking any records, it's really just the fastest on that day that counts. While flat water seems nice, looking at the course in Fuerte shows pretty rough water and normal conditions. Hopefully Gebi can help with some ideas. I think that the speed idea is a great one, but from what i understand it is just as board specific as course racing.

I'm sure that if you host an event that he would be happy to give a clinic or something. Good luck. Gebi you out there?

KM

BigR 11-19-2008 06:56 AM

Jay wrote
Quote:

conditions will need to be just right to make this work. 25-35 knots E to ENE and a mid to low tide.

Another thing is that I don't think low tide is a good idea.
That would give people on twintips or no fin boards an advantage.
Mid to high tide would accommodate all board types and even out the playing field. I think Kent said it. 20kts and rough water will work just fine. No need to tilt the odds in the direction of heavyweights on twintips

kent 11-19-2008 09:34 AM

on another note, the course that we tried to run in Miami last weekend will work very well to get tons of people out racing. while i like windward leeward courses, this allows everyone, including twin tips to race and be competitive.

it's easy to run and set and would allow for 5 plus races in a day that would include a throw out. if you want to do any type of course racing let us know and we will bring a pretty large group from Miami.