FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Session Report! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Do you Kiteboard in South East Florida? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3526)

HIGHFLYN 03-14-2007 08:42 PM

Do you Kiteboard in South East Florida?

Stand up and be counted!

Perhaps the lack of chat here in the South East section is due to the FABULOUS March winds we've been having.

But it shouldn't take flat spells to bring us together. I know we all check the forum Often ~ Thanks Rick

So~ Do it, Show some support for the site and your section of the state.

Lets keep it easy, Add any ideas or thing(s) you'd like to see:

Beach/Lake/River
Quiver

Palm Beach County ( mostly kite from Lake Worth to Boynton Beach)
Been kiteboarding 3.5 years (Tried back in 2001 & I'll NEVER forget those frightfull days)
Mostly beaches (although I picked up a landboard)
All BEST Equipment :D
13 Waroo Pro
11/9 Waroo 07
135 X 44 Float
127 X 41 Float

kabo123 03-15-2007 04:56 AM

keys here

Happy hanging out in Marathon. I can usually be found between Anns beach and key west. Looking for a place to launch in a north wind? look me up.

been kiting for about 2 years

flying cabrina swithblades and riding an old mako board and imperial 138
________
EVELINES

kiwiar2000 03-15-2007 07:10 AM

wow, finally. I got the "Chills" when there was a new post on the SE forum. Amazing. Yea, really. The forum in SE was insipid for about a while now. Your right, its those nukin' days we've been having in March(best month so far in the season)

Years kiting: 2years
Beache/s: Matheson Hammocks and Crandon
Quiver: What quiver? I own a '05 best yarga and a Cabrinha prodigy 158. Damn right I'm a cheap, prodigal college student!

HIGHFLYN 03-15-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabo123 (Post 17100)
Happy hanging out in Marathon. I can usually be found between Anns beach and key west. Looking for a place to launch in a north wind? look me up.

Anns Beach, Now thats a GR8 place to ride!
I had the chance to ride @ Bahia Honda (but I haven't had a chance to kite the surf, I've heard about on a STRONG south wind)

Sombrero Beach, Good spot on the weekdays. Too busy on the weekends

And Anns Beach, I thought that place what the chit! Tight on the parking which is cool as long as your there first. Keeps the crowd down

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwiar2000 (Post 17102)
Wow, finally. I got the "Chills" when there was a new post on the SE forum. Amazing.

What quiver? Damn right I'm a cheap, prodigal college student!

Crandon, I'd like to hit that spot up. I tried to set up my IKO level III cert w/Miamikiteboarding @ Crandon back in Dec.

Matheson, nasty little launch. But GR8 place to ride. I was actually there ALL day Tues 3-13 and had a BLAST!

Glad to see that there are someother Kite junkies in the South East section of FL.

Keep the posts going!

kiwiar2000 03-15-2007 03:25 PM

Yea, Matheson can get way out of hand. There are many inexperienced riders(no offense to anybody) and they can potentially cause problems.
But its shallow, and I love it.
Yea, go by down to Crandon. When its sunny and windy, man, your in for a treat!
-Danny

waffles 03-15-2007 09:00 PM

Location: Mainly Crandon, I just got a weekend job with Miami Kiteboarding so I spend my weekends there making some extra cash and riding a bit. If you guys might need anything, I work there so feel free to ask. Also,
My girlfriend has a place in the Keys (mile marker 64) so I ride there when I can.

Years Kiting: a little under 1. Had my first takes in Oregon (the gorge)

Beach/Lake/River: beach. Im not too much of a freshwater lake kind of guy.

Quiver: North Rebel 12m 07 and Slingshot Link 15m 07. Naish THorn 134 07. North Jamie 126 06.

ricki 03-16-2007 03:01 PM

Great idea Mike, thanks for posting this!

Anyway, I started kitesurfing in Boca Raton and have been trying to figure it out for the last 8 1/2 years. I spend most of my time at the beach in the waves by choice. I've gone through almost 50 kites since the summer of 1998. These days I split my time between a 14 m Contra, 11 m Waroo Pro and a 9 m Switchblade. Looking for one of those jet-assisted kites for my next quiver.

We have more riders in SE Florida than the rest of the State I think. Come on guys, step up and be recognized. Tell us about yourself.

HIGHFLYN 03-16-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffles (Post 17131)
Location: Mainly Crandon, I just got a weekend job with Miami Kiteboarding so I spend my weekends there.
My girlfriend has a place in the Keys (mile marker 64) so I ride there when I can.
Had my first takes in Oregon (the gorge)

Another Crandon rider & one that PT's at Miamikiteboarding, Perhaps you could tell me the best time to hook up w/ Christophe so I could take/complete my IKO III cert and ride Crandon w/you all :D

Mile Marker 64: Long Key? Wherever it is in the Keys, it's gotta be good

The Gorge: Heck of a place to have your first try @ Kiteboarding, I'll bet the scenery is incredible

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickI (Post 17163)
I started kitesurfing in Boca Raton and have been trying to figure it out for the last 8 ½ years. I spend most of my time at the beach in the waves by choice. I've gone through almost 50 kites since the summer of 1998.
Looking for one of those jet-assisted kites for my next quiver.

My pleasure Rick, Anything to breath some life into the SE section and perhaps bring a few fellow kiters together for some GR8 riding & Memories

8.5 years ~Right On~ your defiantly from the school of hard knocks then. Glad your still here and riding with us!

I'll NEVER forget my hot launch days on a 2 line Cab Co2 :eek: (That’s what they told beginners in those days (2001), 2 line kites were easer to learn on) I'm glad I'm still here and riding w/you.

I also prefer the Ocean & Surf. I can't say that was the case in the beginning.
Although Butter flat water is nice every now and then.

Jet assisted kite~ That WP11 should be pretty darn close :p

kiwiar2000 03-16-2007 08:00 PM

well, we got to give thanks and appreciate the founders of kitesurfing that went into arduous times( broken bones, deep sea swiming, getting tremendously dragged, and tons of countless bruises) to get us where we are right now.
Right on, founding fathers, right on.
-Danny

jimb 03-16-2007 08:54 PM

Kiting about a year, mostly in Pompano, prefer the waves but have hit Matheson a few times. Started out on "C" kites switched to Waroos 7 months ago, have a 9, 12 & 16. Recently switched from Cabrinha "vari" 158 to a North sky pro 137 board. Although not ready to get rid of the Vari yet, it's a smooth ride. Also have an F-one 128 X 35 that rocks when it's nuking. Finally, after reading Rick's accident write up's, an impact vest and helmet are mandatory for me. Thanks Rick, keep up the good work, While I may not post often, I read yours religiously.

Jim

tommyboy 03-18-2007 01:58 PM

New to FLA kiting. Rode most of the season at Delray Beach, but now ride on Palm Beach Island.
First learned on a two line in Kite Beach Maui, back in 2002. Then Bought first 4 liner from Flash Austin at Kite Beach DR in 2003.
Mostly rode lakes in MI, Lake St. Clair, and Lake MI. I llove not having to rinse my gear off in the lakes! But I also love riding in the ocean.
I am on a 12m Flexi Atom
9m Best Yarga
141 Hana Crew
128 Stretch and Nobile Skim for Light wind

I came down here to finish my last year of school and it turns out I have to go back to michigan for the summer to take some more classes that arent offered here. I get to follow the wind!! Be back when the fall frontals start to kick!!:cool:

waffles 03-18-2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN (Post 17170)
Another Crandon rider & one that PT's at Miamikiteboarding, Perhaps you could tell me the best time to hook up w/ Christophe so I could take/complete my IKO III cert and ride Crandon w/you all :D

Mile Marker 64: Long Key? Wherever it is in the Keys, it's gotta be good

The Gorge: Heck of a place to have your first try @ Kiteboarding, I'll bet the scenery is incredible

Any time you want to get certified is a good time. I just work for him during the weekend to make some extra cash. I have a full time job at NBC.
Long Key is correct. Ive been going for about 20 years. Nice place, but the wind isnt always great.
And yes, the gorge was great. It was a bit intimitating but awesome nonetheless.
Feel free to reach out to me at Miami Kiteboarding if there is anything I can help you with.
Thanks
Alan

JustinZ 03-19-2007 09:30 AM

I live on Miami Beach right on the ocean on 50th street and I occassionally kiteboard right there in my backyard. It's a pretty good spot because it is a private beach with no lifeguards and there is a nice shallow sandbar about 50 yards out. Unfortunately some of the new high rise condo buildings on the ocean make weird wind shadows which can be frustrating when rising close to shore. Also, when it is windy enough it is also too wavy and choppy for me so I usually can be found at Matheson or Crandon. I do however see a lot of kiters passing my building while doing downwinders. I assume they come from 87th street and head down to South Beach or Virginia Key/Crandon. Maybe I'll go to 87th street one day and join in on one of these downwinders.

KITE: Yellow Cabrinha Contra Bow 12M
BOARD: Cabrinha prodigy 158
KITING SINCE: June 2006
SPOTS: Crandon, Matheson, Miami Beach

HIGHFLYN 03-19-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimb (Post 17177)
Kiting about a year, mostly in Pompano, prefer the waves
Started out on "C" kites switched to Waroos 7 months ago

Finally, after reading Rick's accident write up's, an impact vest and helmet are mandatory for me. Thanks Rick, keep up the good work, While I may not post often, I read yours religiously.

Waves are loads of fun IMO, Not the best for learing in. But you'll soon (if you like surf) be looking for them all the time.
I also switched to SLE's this past year and couldn't be happier, It's improved my confidence and riding 10 fold
RickI definatly puts a lot of time into helping us all out when it comes to safety #1 and event's through out our state!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyboy (Post 17214)
New to FLA kiting. Rode most of the season at Delray Beach, but now ride on Palm Beach Island.

141 Hana Crew

I get to follow the wind!! Be back when the fall frontals start to kick!!

Welcome to FKA, Rick's got a get Forum here, With Loads of INFO
Palm Beach, A North county rider. Hope to see you on the water
HanaCrew boards where some of my Favorid boards of all time
See you again in the Fall ~

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinZ (Post 17240)
I live on Miami Beach right on the ocean on 50th street and I occassionally kiteboard right there in my backyard.

I usually can be found at Matheson or Crandon.

I do however see a lot of kiters passing my building while doing downwinders. I assume they come from 87th street and head down to South Beach or Virginia Key/Crandon. Maybe I'll go to 87th street one day and join in on one of these downwinders.

Ahh to be able to kite in my own backyard. Oh wait I do, since all of FL is my backyard. Seriously though Justin you are lucky and I'm sure your able to get in a few more sessions then most ~cheers~
I have got to get to Crandon Park some day soon
Downwinders are a blast, as well are Roundwinders ( I do these often )

Great to hear from everyone so far http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/image...icon_thump.gif

BizGuru 03-19-2007 01:02 PM

Years kiting: <1 Year with a 3 month break during learning (WORK SUCKS)

Beaches: Boynton / Pompano (I love to travel and don't mind driving so you will find me all over the state chasing wind on weekend) Road Trip Anyone?

Quiver: Cabrinha prodigy 158 - (adding Underground XXXL as soon as I can get to St Augustine) 9m switchblade, 11m GK sonic, 16m Switchblade.

Experience: Not much, still learning and I can't go upwind yet, Hoping to get that fixed soon (I just switched from C kites, I have only been on the water with the BOW kites once)

I see wind outside, might hit commercial tonight.

BigR 03-19-2007 02:02 PM

What can I say? Kiting around crandon , BB, matheson, rickenbacker, MB, islamorada, jupiter etc the last 10 years but mostly Tampa the last 6 yrs
with a one year stint in Mexico:D and Cali coast in between. I gotta say SFla has some of the best spots when it is on. When its not, hey go hand to hand for some hogfish or snapper!
all my toys are xbow II's except my biggest is the 14 contra.
Hey, waves rule and ft pierce rocks!

HIGHFLYN 03-20-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BizGuru (Post 17246)

Years kiting:1 Year with a 3 month break during learning (WORK SUCKS)

Road Trip Anyone?

Experience: Not much, still learning and I can't go upwind yet, Hoping to get that fixed soon (I just switched from C kites, I have only been on the water with the BOW kites once)

I see wind outside, might hit commercial tonight.

Oh I so agree with your "Work sucks" comment, Defiantly gets in the way of my kiting.
But~ No workie No NEW kitie

Road Trip? Ken are you driving?? :D

Up wind abilities will come and not long after that the curve starts to accelerate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR (Post 17249)
What can I say? Kiting around crandon , BB, matheson, rickenbacker, MB, islamorada, jupiter etc the last 10 years but mostly Tampa the last 6 yrs
with a one year stint in Mexico:D and Cali coast in between. I gotta say SFla has some of the best spots when it is on. When its not, hey go hand to hand for some hogfish or snapper!

Hey, waves rule and ft pierce rocks!

What can I say, But....... Damn BigR you've been there!!! Good for you, I bet you've seen some chit in those places & over the years.

Nice to hear that South FL ~IYO~ has some of the best spots when it's on. I know w/1350 miles of FL coast line we do have it good, But I personally can only speak for South FL & it Definatly makes me smile!

Ft Pierce does ROCK and so do the waves on the inside of the North Jetty!

Good Luck w/your East Coast Venture this week BigR!

BigR 03-22-2007 11:33 AM

HIGHFLYIN wrote:
Quote:

oops! Almost forgot, yeah the scenery and kiting there always rocks! we go there 2 weeks every summer to get away from the FL july doldrums...

HIGHFLYN 03-22-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR (Post 17393)
oops! Almost forgot, yeah the scenery and kiting there always rocks! we go there 2 weeks every summer to get away from the FL july doldrums...

Now your just rubbing it in BigR :p

I lived in Oregon back in 94 for a 6 months, That has to be one of the most Beautiful places (Besides Colorado) that I've had the pleasure to Flyfish w/in the states.

So did you hit up the East Coast for some wave action?
if so do tell......

It's been GOOD down this way 3-5ft and CHUNKY, Loads of fun in the blue water. Well murky blue that is

kiwiar2000 03-22-2007 02:31 PM

I never been to 87 street and collins, where most of the kitesurfers kite in Miami Beach. I bet its awesome.
My friend Jota went from 87 street and collins, did a downwinder, and came to Matheson Hammocks yesturday. Wow, how strong the winds were, and I was completely overpowered with my 13 meter yarga weighing at 160 pounds.
All in all, yesturday was fun, regardless of the disruptive, irregular rains.
-Danny

HIGHFLYN 03-23-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwiar2000 (Post 17403)
Wow, how strong the winds were, and I was completely overpowered with my 13 meter yarga weighing at 160 pounds.

I'd say so, I'm 170lbs all geared up and have been flying my 9m 07 Waroo the last few days on a 127 and have been well powered.

kiwiar2000 03-23-2007 06:37 PM

there some good winds coming up for the weekend
buckle up everyone.
-Danny

nwheatstone 03-23-2007 08:32 PM

Delray Beach Saturday

Ok folks...
Its my first post and its good news...
Delray prediction is:
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...
SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET BUILDING TO 4 TO 6 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON
So get yer 9s and 12s out and ill see you on the beach in the morning!
Glad to meet everyone...

kiwiar2000 03-23-2007 11:29 PM

sweet

kites4food 03-26-2007 10:34 PM

Matheson Regular

1 Attachment(s)
I've been riding Matheson and Crandon for the last 4 years. Jupiter and Stuart before that. Started in 1998 !

I teach for Skybanditz.com fulltime.

Lost a board last weekend at Matheson. OFFERING REWARD for anyone who can help lead me to:

2006 Airush X-Pact 127
Blue with Dragon-eye graphics

call Ken 305.321.8428

ricki 03-27-2007 06:28 AM

Welcome to the forums nwheatstone and kites4food! Riders from waves and flat water, quite a contrast. This has been a nice March for wind in both areas.

Hope you find your board Ken. What got you into kiting and way back in 1998? What sort of gear did you start on?

danpooler 05-29-2007 04:17 PM

First year Kiteing. I've been to Crandon, Stuart, Delray, Dania, and lately spending quite a bit of time in Pompano.
I ride all best equipment 16m, 13m, 11m

Cborges 05-29-2007 08:07 PM

Girly Rider...in S. Fla.

Aloha all...
Im CJ... I have been riding for about 3 yrs ...maybe a lil more...but not very aggresively in the begining...I ride Globerider kites Sonic/Trix and Litewaves 130cm '07 board. Love to ride in Ft. Pierce with my best friend Irma...or in St. Pete when I visit my folks...but, on an everyday basis (when its blowing) I am ay Matheson or Crandon. Now that Crandon is closed for the summer (as of May 25th)...this leaves me Matheson ...unless I drive south to the Keys... I live in Homestead...yup...HOMESTEAD Fla. and NO...I dont farm....
I love to push myself in kiting and learn something new everytime I pick up the bar. Hope to meet some of you out on the beaches of S. Fla!
P.S.
Thanks Rick...for holding us all together!

kiwiar2000 05-29-2007 10:13 PM

lol. Homestead---farming?
im going out tomorrow either at matheson or 87 ave.
Whose going out tomorrow?
-Danny

Cborges 05-29-2007 10:18 PM

mateson tomorrow?

well maybe Matheson...letcha know Danny tommorow!

suppose to be good...
CJ

kiwiar2000 05-30-2007 06:58 AM

Cj,
phones broken.
Send me a pm either here or myspace.
-Danny
Phones gonna be replaced by tomorrow.

HIGHFLYN 05-30-2007 08:16 AM

Welcome to the (South East Section) forum Dan and CJ!

It always great to see more kite junkies showing there stoke for our fantastic sport.

Has this MAY been the S*** or what ???? I'm on my 11th day str8 of kiting. It's almost like a kiting vacation except I've only had to travel less then 2 miles :p

Post your thoughts and ideas and lets see if we can't pull some/all the South East forum memebers together for an event

Cborges 05-30-2007 08:57 AM

aloha

where have you been ridin these last few weeks? Highflyn? Name?

yah feel like I am on a kiting holiday fo sho...

HIGHFLYN 05-30-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cborges (Post 19832)
where have you been ridin these last few weeks? Highflyn? Name?

yah feel like I am on a kiting holiday fo sho...

~n~ tonight's session makes #12 in a row

Name: Michael

I kite mostly in Palm Beach County (south end) From Lake Worth south to Boynton Beach. Bluewater (most of the time) and fun surf/waves.

kiwiar2000 05-30-2007 10:27 PM

yea!
yuppee.I got no number-of-sessions in a row cause I aint kitesurfing till i get my kite back.
Maybe tomorrow.
Anyhow, its kinda odd that there was packing wind at the end of may, dont you think?
-Danny

Grneyedloki 06-03-2007 09:38 PM

Well lets see. Im very new to KiteBoarding. Not so much the boarding part since ive been doing wakeboarding for about 15 yrs now. And not so much the Kite part since i have flown Stunt kites and foil kites for most of my life. But more on putting the two togeather. Only been twice now. But i learn fast. (got up withen the first 5 minutes on the water, and did my first mini kite loop on the second day) Took a lesson over at matheson just to get the feal down and learn the safty measures and were everything is and what it all does on the safty side of things.(always a good idea) Kinda dissapointed that this wind we were having went away. But could be worse. Am always looking to ride with better people so as to improve my rideing. Purchased my First kite today (North Vegas 10 w/5th element) Bar , and Harness (dakine Storm). Rideing a Super Squirt 128 wakeboard (has a continues rocker of only 1.9)(short wide and stiff board) with plate style straps. Most of the people i have meet thus far are very kewl and very helping of a new person to the sport. Hopefully By the time the winds come back strong ill be a much improved rider and be able to hit up some of the blue water and surf with some of you guys.....

ricki 06-05-2007 07:53 AM

Welcome aboard Grneyedloki. Hope you get some good winds for a while longer. As a rule gear might get packed away for days and even weeks in the SE this time of year. This year has been different so far. Yesterday with an unusual offshore breeze we were treated to a strong set of side shore thermal winds without the thermal squalls that frequently move seaward from the Everglades in such conditions. Our summer squalls can be among the more powerful ones on the continent so be sure to do proper weather planning and monitoring. Lots of guys have been slammed for weakening due to excess windlust and going out in or staying out too long with inbound bad conditions. There may be some more useable winds before the normal summer pattern sets in good and proper.

ricki 06-05-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cborges (Post 19819)
Aloha all...
Im CJ... I have been riding for about 3 yrs ...maybe a lil more...but not very aggresively in the begining...I ride Globerider kites Sonic/Trix and Litewaves 130cm '07 board. Love to ride in Ft. Pierce with my best friend Irma...or in St. Pete when I visit my folks...but, on an everyday basis (when its blowing) I am ay Matheson or Crandon. Now that Crandon is closed for the summer (as of May 25th)...this leaves me Matheson ...unless I drive south to the Keys... I live in Homestead...yup...HOMESTEAD Fla. and NO...I dont farm....
I love to push myself in kiting and learn something new everytime I pick up the bar. Hope to meet some of you out on the beaches of S. Fla!
P.S.
Thanks Rick...for holding us all together!

You're welcome CJ and thank you for the great shots! Just a few of many ...

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album259/CJ.jpg

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album175/23_G.jpg

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album58/19_G.sized.jpg

Grneyedloki 06-05-2007 06:17 PM

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album58/19_G.sized.jpg[/QUOTE]

Were can i get a hat like this one. Have been looking but they are scarce. LoL.:cool:

Blue skies

ricki 06-05-2007 09:49 PM

I heard two stories about what was happening in this shot. One had it that the lady had lost a contact lens and Neil was providing a leg, uh shoulder up in the recovery effort. Another story had it that Neil was in the throws of a severe undergarment constriction and the lady was giving his drawers a hearty yank rearward to aid relief? It seems to have come just in time from Neil's expression. Preserve us from line breaks and wedgies.

Anyway, this was shot in Ft. Lauderdale. Speaking from past experience as a resident there, if you look hard enough you can find almost anything there, even a "hat" like Neil's.

Hey SE Florida riders, stand up and be recognized. Tell us about yourself, ambitions, great rides, trips, new tricks, etc..