FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Am I Seeing things???? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6847)

Kitespear813 07-15-2008 08:39 AM

Am I Seeing things????

Check out thurs
http://www.windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=42063

If this forcast holds I am taking off work all day.

BigR 07-15-2008 08:49 AM

I wouldn't count on it Sean,

Most prolly the computer is just forecasting thunderstorms,

But we can always keep our fingers crossed for quality consistent wind...

Danimal8199 07-15-2008 08:55 AM

I was just about to make this post...

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwher...orecast+Graphs

Ikite was right fo rsunday night for me at IRB...

To me it would be hard to forecast thunderstorms all day at a consistent wind speed and direction, this is just my wishful thinking that we get some wind!

BigR 07-15-2008 09:05 AM

I just looked at a detail analysis,

appears there will be a strong low pressure center a few hundred miles to the NW of us on thursday morning moving to the north of us on thursday afternoon.
http://ruc.noaa.gov/disp2.cgi?/w3/ra...2_surf_wind+se
Nothing tropical is associated with it ( YET ), but it does look rainy IRB and north on Thursday, may be a lot less showers to the south of IRB, too early still. I guess we'll find out...

Steve-O 07-15-2008 06:49 PM

Will definately be interesting to see how it pans out.

Ikite showing solid wind all day....

Accuweather showing not a damn thing.

I know Scott is a big fan of Accuweather. We'll see.

IKite is very accurate in other parts of the country, but in general more inconsitent down here. I have always thought that the latitude we live in is a very difficult area to forecast.

But at least there is hope for something. I hope we get some wind cuz a crispy new Switchblade 4 just arrived.

Skyway Scott 07-15-2008 07:46 PM

Yea, I like AW. I can't relate to IK. :)

Wolfie 07-15-2008 08:51 PM

Now the crazy Doppler makes sense. Maybe we will have a little storm form over us with some wind in it. Hopefully it is so close to land it can't cause too much damage...if anything forms of course.

Steve-O 07-15-2008 08:51 PM

Hey its not called IMight surf for nothin.

I like Accuweather too. I like to look at a bunch of models. My top three are NOAA, AW, and Ikite. NOAA and IKite call for wind. 2 out of 3 aint bad.

This time of year, anything goes. The sky looked very different tonight. Very tropical stormish. Somethings up.

Cborges 07-16-2008 07:12 AM

crossing our fingers

Hope to get in a session Thursday...still lookin good...

CJ

inferno 07-16-2008 08:19 AM

thats just wierd.. check out the radar in motion right now...
its actually spinning around us.. pretty cool

Danimal8199 07-16-2008 08:25 AM

Steve-O, we can add two more sources that are calling for wind:

1) Weather.com is showing 16 or 18 out of the south depending on when you look.

2) The Danimal is also calling for wind from any direction, mostly based on the fact that he is taking the day off and wants to kiteboard.

So thats 4 out of 5, 5 out of 6 if you count wind guru

BigR 07-16-2008 08:34 AM

I can almost for sure say there'll be NO wind, since the Low decided to make its Center on top of us instead of to the NW of us.
NW of us would'a given us wind but it is tracking instead over us s,,,, so rain here we come....:(

Steve-O 07-16-2008 09:08 AM

Hate to say it but I think Big R is right. This low is just sitting on top of us and doesn't show any signs of going anywhere at the moment.

Well at least my grass is green and my car is clean.

Speaking of green I have made some changes in my daily routine. I have been riding my bike to work and running errands. Gas is just crazy. I am lucky that I have just about everything I need within a 10 minute ride of the house. Last week I went 4 days without driving. Cool stuff.

Erick 07-16-2008 10:42 AM

I'm not looking into any scientific weather model. I'm just using the "it is too good to be true" model but You guys are better forecasting wind than I. however, I don't want to be seen as a negative rider with low expectations so I hope it blows 25 knots all day. iF SO That would be SUPER AWESOME!

WindRyder 07-16-2008 11:30 AM

Ola, Mexico!! We Panhandlers are hoping that it tracks toward the big bend and pushes wind our way. I am developing a cough as we speak!! I'm surprised you guys aren't getting anything, you must be in the vortex!!!(sorry, local joke) In any case, I hope we all get something outta this. If not, there's that wave moving south of the Virgin Islands soon!!!......

BigR 07-16-2008 12:26 PM

if anything , it'll track to the NE towards jacksonville, but it does "suck" to be stuck in the middle of the vortex

Kitespear813 07-17-2008 07:45 AM

Yeah, I guess I was seeing things:-(

inferno 07-17-2008 01:28 PM

is it windy????

i got solid 10knots at my job in st pete... anyone know if its blowing at the SW???

BigR 07-17-2008 01:37 PM

I think its about right, seems around 10-12 kts at the SW as well,

Prolly an odd passing shower or two, let us know if it was any good :D

BigR 07-22-2008 03:39 PM

You might get your wish after all Sean,

I don't know where its coming from or why but this thurs and fri afternoons looks like a breeze outta the west

Kitespear813 07-22-2008 03:45 PM

sweet!! But Im not getting my hopes up

Kitespear813 07-27-2008 09:16 AM

anyone wnat to weigh in on today...or for the rest of the week for that matter

BigR 07-27-2008 09:50 AM

The Crystal Ball shows much precipitation...................

Skyway Scott 07-27-2008 10:07 AM

I think it might blow SSW to SW today at a decent enough clip to ride (13 or so)

TBKA 07-27-2008 10:12 AM

Going to try TI today (101st) cooking burgers & swimming at my house after- all are welcome
(813) 389-3683

Todd RT 07-27-2008 11:25 AM

Thursday
west winds around 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Bay and inland
waters a moderate chop. Isolated thunderstorms.

:)

Chedder 08-08-2008 10:36 AM

Hey Sean, it's Chesta

I don't have your number any more and I can't PM you because I don't have enough posts. PM me your number. Board looks really good. I'm in Australia right now and I'll be back in 2 weeks. I'll talk with you about when I get back, but don't wait up for me. Thanks.

Skyway Scott 08-09-2008 04:20 PM

Man I got frickin' roasted out there today. Really dehydrated too... too much sun.
Where did everyone ride? :cool: There were about 6 of us at TI.
I was hoping Steve-O could show up so I could demo something, but he was stuck at the shop.

Just curious what the wind was everywhere.
We had some weird current at the beach, making getting out tricky (moderate shore break for here too).
Once out though, it wasn't too bad. Thanks again Bryan, for letting me demo your O.R. Rise (and then keep riding it). :)

Sean B 08-09-2008 04:41 PM

The causeway was okay. I saw a few kites out off caladesi, including what I think was Craig's Speed 2, but I can't be 100% sure of it. Just enough wind to get back to your starting point and do a little roll or jump here and there. Not too exciting, but just great to be back on the water after a few months.

Skyway Scott 08-09-2008 04:43 PM

yeah. It was about 12/13 knots most of the time at TI. It was really good for about a half hour, then another 20 minutes there, but most of the time less than 15. I mainly did sightseeing runs on my surfboard. I had a great time though, especially considering what a beautiful day it was and that I haven't ridden in forever.

Was it crowded (beach goer wise) out there? TI had a lot of people out sunbathing.

Sean B 08-09-2008 05:17 PM

Well I can only speak for the causeway, since that's where I rode off of. Honestly, it was the least crowded I've ever seen it on a Saturday..especially this time of year. I was able to lay my lines in an area that's normally lined with cars. I'm not sure what was keeping everyone at bay this weekend, but I wish it would happen more often! lol

On another note, I was out at honeymon last weekend just enjoying the day at the beach and they were flying red flags. I spoke with the park rangers and they mentioned high bacteria levels (fecal matter) were present off honeymoon and the surrounding area. I'm wondering if that was still in effect this weekend?

Whitey 08-09-2008 05:59 PM

Yep that was the Speed II out there . Great day at Caladisi. Rode all day out there. Four of us. Two days in a row. I am burnt like a french fry also.
Were you on a green and orange waroo?

Sean B 08-09-2008 06:01 PM

Yeah, I call that one my christmas kite. (red/green)

Skyway Scott 08-09-2008 06:28 PM

Yikes, no one likes poopy in the water.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-Baby_Ruth.jpg

rigger 08-09-2008 07:04 PM

I was near Upham , and it was up and down from about11 am to 3pm. Id say 13 to 17, but was able to ride the whole time on my 11. The gulf has been like a washing machine. Went home, had lunch, and then hit the SW for some flats. Sw was up and down, but ride able for the 3 hours I was there.

Kitespear813 08-10-2008 06:15 PM

Yeah yesterday was my first time at sunset...realy cool place, cool people, jealous as hell of whitey cruzin around in 8knts. light day still had lotsa fun.