FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's happening? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Help! Where to kite on Friday afternoon? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7317)

troubleshooter 10-20-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR (Post 37181)
No , there really is no spot between matheson and whale harbor

except for Turkey point and long point maybe, but I wouldn't recommend those

Where is the launch for these places. I Google earthed the whole coastline along the bay from Matheson to Card Sound and did't look like any places to launch.

BigR 10-20-2008 06:43 PM

Sorry if I wasn't a little more descriptive,

Turkey point is exactly that, turkey point nuclear power plant on SW 344th Street. You will notice
that just past the nuc's there is a road that goes out to a point . it has picnic areas , BBQ's, beach , etc. I windsurfed from there back in 1990. Lotsa cool little islands and stuff with real pretty water. I don't know if homeland security will still let you there or not.

The other one is Homestead Bayfront park just to the north of there on SW 328th Street in Homestead, nice grass rigging area and park facilities, trees for shade , etc.

Long ways from nowhere but the water there is beautiful

troubleshooter 10-20-2008 07:15 PM

Nice. I just located the Turkey Point spot. I dont think they r gonna let you out there. You may very well get a chance to test out Eclipse's new "bullet proof" warranty.:D

Bayfront sounds like a spot to try. I didn't know they would let you kite there.

I grew up in miami. I used to Windsurf alot down a little dirt road just on the immediate south side of FPL Cutler plant. Not the dirt access road but the one you go through a little neighborhood first. The dirt road is still there. Used to go out to Chicken Key. Now maybe thats a spot to try out.

BigR 10-20-2008 07:33 PM

well, I think the FPL TP site was mostly for employees families to hang out and have picnics on weekends, I dunno. There were signs like donated picnic stands and BBQ grills around. But I just drove in like I belonged there and windsurfed away. I will tell you it is awesome out there with little flats and islands and turtlegrass + clear water.

NE day you could prolly get there from homestead, only a mile or two, if they don't scramble an F-16 from homestead AFB first :o

ricki 10-20-2008 07:40 PM

I agree, avoid Turkey Point. There is some local info regarding the Homestead launch at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2499

BigR 10-20-2008 07:46 PM

yeah , it is a longish drive from MIA and even longer from the other direction in the keys, WH.

I wouldn't recommend it , as I said , unless I lived actually in homestead.

plus you have no recourse to put in if the wind dies and you don't have boat support

troubleshooter 10-20-2008 08:41 PM

New perspective here. That would be a great NE downwinder from Matheson to either Blackpoint Marina (10 miles) or to Bayfront (15 miles).

Black point could be the mark and Bayfront could be the backup. I say that because if you miss Bayfront and cant get back up wind your pretty much SOL.

On that leg from Matheson to Blackpoint there are plenty of outs. I got a cell phone, waterproof pack, Garmin handheld GPS, and VHF if anyone wants to do a little experiment with me. I wont do it alone but Im game if I got company. PM me or give me a shout on the SE Florida forum. Im usually a Crandon/Marathon rider these days.

ricki 10-22-2008 06:58 PM

You should PM Kent, I bet he might be up for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troubleshooter (Post 37230)
New perspective here. That would be a great NE downwinder from Matheson to either Blackpoint Marina (10 miles) or to Bayfront (15 miles).

Black point could be the mark and Bayfront could be the backup. I say that because if you miss Bayfront and cant get back up wind your pretty much SOL.

On that leg from Matheson to Blackpoint there are plenty of outs. I got a cell phone, waterproof pack, Garmin handheld GPS, and VHF if anyone wants to do a little experiment with me. I wont do it alone but Im game if I got company. PM me or give me a shout on the SE Florida forum. Im usually a Crandon/Marathon rider these days.