FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   New Wetsuit (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5576)

LSUkiter 01-21-2008 08:19 PM

New Wetsuit

Its time for me to get a new wetsuit since my current one's near dead from years of diving(and I may have gained some weight). From searching the forum, it seems like 3/2 is the preferred thickness for our area but I still have a coupla questions. I'm considering getting both a shorty and a full suit since I dive, snorkel, and now kite, I can use both. Would you guys go for 3/2 in the shorty and 4/3 in the full, or stick with same thickness for both? Keep in mind I'm a newb, still finishing up my lessons, so I'll be spending plenty of time in the water instead of on the board through the rest of the cold weather. Also, I'm not quite that hardcore yet, so I won't be out in anything too crazy cold. I'm not quite at the level to control a kite through shivers.

My other question is, searching the threads, pretty much everybody recommends a different brand or particular suit. Can anyone recommend some shops to check out different wetsuits. I've been to WSW and checked out what they have, but before buying I wanted to check out a couple other of the brands I've read about that they don't carry, so I can decide what I like best. I dont want to just order something off the internet and have to send it back because it doesn't fit me well

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Skyway Scott 01-21-2008 08:36 PM

My view on suits is it's better to overdo it a tad. You can always fall in and to cool off. Once you're cold though, you are cold.
I wear a 4/3 and I wear a steamer top underneath. That top underneath is the deal maker. Without it, I get cold, with it, I am totally warm.
I also wear a hoodie gig when it's sub 60. Without it, my head gets real cold and that's where you lose a lot of heat.

I can't imagine only wearing a 3/2 full. That's me. Let's see what the others guys say.

Chad085 01-21-2008 09:40 PM

i currently only have a 3/2, and sometimes it's just not enough. I will say, however, that if you wear gloves, booties and a hood you will be as warm as you possibly can be in a 3/2. I'll be getting a 4/3 or maybe even a 5/3 in the near future and probly one of those kick-ass Gill windbreakers too. Just talking about this makes me cold, can't wait to 'trunk it in a nice spring seabreeze:cool:

Steve-O 01-21-2008 09:43 PM

I think if your gonna get a full, a 4/3 is the way to go, so when it does get really cold your covered. I have talked to some guys lately who are wearing a wind breaker pullover to help keep the chill off from the wind. Wetsuits are really designed for underwater use, but with the introduction of slick skin technology that can also help insulate against the wind. However, I have seen these slick skin suits not hold up so well over time. The rubber gets dry and cracks, and are just not as durable as straight up neoprene.

My advice is invest in something that really stretches as 4/3 tend to be a bit inflexible. On those really nutty cold days, wear a wind breaker over the top and you would be surprised the difference it makes in your warmth.

We have been carring these pullover tops by Gill that are really designed for sailors, but have been getting really good feedback. Hell, they can make a 3/2 feel a lot better.

Just some thoughts.

pebbles 01-22-2008 07:26 AM

4/3 works for most cool days for me. Check out the Neilpryde website for fit.

They have alot of different measurements. I ordered mine from Darryl and he said just pick my size online and let him know. 2 days later I had my perfect sized wetsuit. So much easier than trying on wetsuits!

Later

pebbles

Skyway Scott 01-22-2008 07:40 AM

I failed to mention the slick skin and the flexibility of the suit, like Steve mentioned. I wouldn't even bother getting a suit without both. It might add some to the cost, but man, it's worth it, imo.

Before the flexible material came out, I use to fatigue really fast, even just pumping up the kite. It was ridiculous.
The slick skin makes a huge improvement on keeping the wind from blowing thru the neoprene.

toby wilson 01-22-2008 08:03 AM

I hear the Mystic suits are kick @$$. I personally am fine in the $40.00 3/2 I bought used at a dive shop in the Keys with a top underneath in most conditions. I probably need to upgrade to a nicer 4/3 but just don't really get out all that much on the SUPER cold days. The frozen fingers and face just really isn't worth it to me. But when I do go out on those cold days I make sure to bring along my hoodie top and neoprene gloves just like the others have said on here.

WindRyder 01-22-2008 08:32 AM

Yes, the Mystic and Maui Magic wetsuits are great. I have a 4/3 Maui Magic Hana steamer (Mystic's line for women) and Roy has a Mystic Crossfire 5/3. Both of these suits are made with Metalite which resists both water and wind. I don't like the skinning, as it breaks down more easily and can limit mobility. These suits off great flexibility with wind and water protection. I know Emerald Coast Kiteboarding has the Crossfire on special.

LSUkiter 01-22-2008 08:54 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I asked because it sounds like the concensus is 4/3 not 3/2 like I thought. I'm definitley looking for something that is flexible, because most of my time in suits is diving, and I know how it feels to come on the boat after kicking your legs in a thick suit. It tires you out and can make your knees hurt. I've looked at what they carry at WSW and saw some definite possibilities, but I aslo looked at the Neil Pryde and Mystic websites and just wish there were local spots to actually check 'em out in real life, cuz I'm always worried if I'm just reading too much into the advertising.
Thanks again

shogun1204 01-22-2008 11:39 AM

Last season I had the full Skin 4/3 Neil Pryde 3000 series suit. Very nice suit and very warm. Not the most flexiable thing, and the skin on it started to crack after 6 months. The cracks are not that big of a deal just get some Wetsuit repair stuff to fix them. Go to Water Sports West and try one on they are very nice Wetsuits, just remeber if you get one to get the repair stuff too. If you start to see a crack fix it quick or it will just get bigger. This year I got a 5/3 Mystic Crossfire and that suit is freaking sweet! Very warm and super flexible. When I first got it I thought I it was too thin! I thought there is no way it is a 5/3, this thing feel so much thinner than my 4/3 Neil Pryde. Nope very warm in it and it feels like I have a 3/2 suit on because it is so flexible. They are expensive, but I think they are worth every penny! Was ridding in it this weekend when it was 35 with wind chills in the teens up in Ft. Walton. Was nice and warm, but my feet where frozen! Have to order some thicker booties now dang it!

LSUkiter 01-22-2008 12:15 PM

Tried the Neil Pryde and really liked it, but I wanted to try the Mystic first since I've read several good reviews

Tom Stock 01-22-2008 02:57 PM

Try suncoast surf shop... they usually have decent sales on suits. I picked up a 3/2 for like $40 and I've been using it for 3 years now. My body doesn't usually get cold, but my hands and feet do when it's in the 50's and blowing 25+.

I'll probably replace it soon though...

I prefer a good surfing wetsuit.. lots of flexibility and stretch.

Rodan'sWings 01-22-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSUkiter (Post 28194)
Tried the Neil Pryde and really liked it, but I wanted to try the Mystic first since I've read several good reviews

I wouldnt spend $300 on any of those fancy kite-brand wetsuits yet.......shop around 1st, any surfing style wetsuit with 3-4mil thickness will work about as good as any overpriced Mystic or Neil Pryde. Yes the Neil Prydes have alot of rubber-top neoprene to act as a wind barrier which is nice but check this out:
At WSW I found a 4mm Quicksilver MX fullsuit for $35, the retail price tag on it was $289! It had alot of black rubber up top and fit me perfectly. I liked the wetsuit so much i went back and bought two more, one in 3mm and the other 2mm.....BTW..The nice thing about Surfing wetsuits is that you can also use them for other sports like surfing or skin diving, Neil Prydes are too thick in the armpit region for paddling or swimming IMO (designed for windsurfers)
WSW consistantly has the best deals on wetsuits, everywhere else you have to wait for the Sales days, and even then only odd sizes are left by the time you get there in my experience.

Hope this helps

E-Bone 01-24-2008 12:04 AM

C'mon, scrow, don't be a pussy. I kite the coldest days around here wearing nothing but a thong and a bow tie. You can't impress the ladies wrapped up like a pig in a blanket.

Rodan'sWings 01-24-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Bone (Post 28293)
C'mon, scrow, don't be a pussy. I kite the coldest days around here wearing nothing but a thong and a bow tie. You can't impress the ladies wrapped up like a pig in a blanket.

Promise me you'll never try the hello-kitty-rainbow-slide trick in that thong.
PROMISE ME!

kent 01-24-2008 10:43 AM

buy what ever suit fits your budget, however the assumptions on kite specific suits are totally incorrect. Neilpryde and NPX are good examples of suits designed with a specific purpose in mind. Just think about it, you spend $1200 - $1600 on a great new kite. you want to extend your session as long as you can and be comfortable doing it. In truth it is the very tight surf suit that limits your flexibility while kiting, not to mention that they are cold as hell. Surfers spend most of their time in the water and are not affected by evaporation like kiters and windsurfers are. a nice, flexible smooth skin upper keeps you far warmer. Additionally, the reenforcements around the harness area keep you suit intact in areas with rubbing. NPX and NP for example do loosen up the arm area to allow for good movement. Additionally, these suits are blind stitched where the suit that you are going to get for $35 is probably a flat lock suit with wet seams allowing for cold water flush. How many times have you been bolting along in your surf suits on a kite and you end up with "kankles"? The water jets up your leg and stays there adding 20 lbs. of weight to you body. This sucks and is another example of using the wrong tool for the job. Things like water sheding material, blind stitching, arm and ankle closures, mesh skin, and apex flex material are very, very important to having a good ride to me. Once again, if it's just budget, get what ever will get you through, but if you can spend a bit more it will come back to you.

Kent

inferno 01-24-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent (Post 28305)
Just think about it, you spend $1200 - $1600 on a great new kite. Kent

do people actually spend that much on a new kite :)
thats almost my whole quiver :) (one 2008 and two 2007's)

bryanleighty 01-24-2008 01:26 PM

danny dont even start..
:P

bryanleighty 01-24-2008 01:31 PM

$300 for BARE drysuit. no frills.. not the uber-deluxe brand or model.. but does the trick and does it well.

for the limited uses it gets, i am certain it will last for many many seasons. repairs on these types are simple as well..

i bought my shorty at Sams club for 25 dollars.. that was 4 years ago.. its perfect still.

bought my full at WSW for 100$ 3 years ago.. again.. perfect.

Dan just got a semi-dry full .. might be able to chime in on its comfort compared to a standard wetsuit.

luckily we dont have the serious cold severe weather that everyone else at this time has to deal with.. the drysuit is a bit overkill.. but damn its nice to wear on those chilly days.

i think the bigger problem is finding the perfect pair of gloves.. have not found them yet.
my hands are always the first to go on the cold days.

BigR 01-24-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

i think the bigger problem is finding the perfect pair of gloves.. have not found them yet.

Neil Pryde makes the ultimate cold water gloves for windsurfing and kitesurfing. They are called open palm neoprene gloves and allow you to directly grip the bar without sacrificing protection from the cold.

inferno 01-24-2008 01:57 PM

semi dry's are nice... well worth it...
i have a 4/3 semidry, i can sit in the water for about 10 seconds, come out and still be completely dry.....

kent 01-24-2008 02:00 PM

Inferno,

I don't doubt that that's as much as your whole quiver. I guess that the difference is depending on what kite you get, you don't need a "whole quiver". If you aren't getting any range out of your kites, maybe you should switch. Ha ha ha... just kidding. have a good one.

Kent

WindRyder 01-24-2008 02:25 PM

Bryan,

Check out Mystic's gloves, the ones that have the index finger separated from the rest of the fingers. They don't have the open palm like the Neil Pryde ones, but they have little rubber grippers and the material doesn't feel like it interferes with your grasp. I like the index being separated compared to the full mitt, as it makes it easy to grab a line or emergeny release if necessary.The back side of the glove is fully skinned for wind protection. Roy and I wore ours last weekend in 30 degree temps with wind chills in the 20's, and our hands were just fine.

inferno 01-24-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent (Post 28315)
Inferno,

I don't doubt that that's as much as your whole quiver. I guess that the difference is depending on what kite you get, you don't need a "whole quiver". If you aren't getting any range out of your kites, maybe you should switch. Ha ha ha... just kidding. have a good one.

Kent

:)

atleast we arent like Tom Stock in the C kite days......
lets see (correct me if im wrong tom) he had a 9m,11m,13m,15m,18m,and a 21m :confused:

Rodan'sWings 01-24-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent (Post 28305)
buy what ever suit fits your budget, however the assumptions on kite specific suits are totally incorrect. NPX and NP for example do loosen up the arm area to allow for good movement. Additionally, these suits are blind stitched where the suit that you are going to get for $35 is probably a flat lock suit with wet seams allowing for cold water flush. How many times have you been bolting along in your surf suits on a kite and you end up with "kankles"? The water jets up your leg and stays there adding 20 lbs. of weight to you body. This sucks and is another example of using the wrong tool for the job.

Kent

Blind stitching has been on the market for years. Not only does my $35 Quicksilver have blindstitching, it's seems are welded on the inside. This is the warmest suit ive ever had, and ive gone thru alot of wetsuits.
These $300 kite suits are marginally better.....id rather put that $$$ into kites. ive been buying wetsuits since the 80's and its comical how these companys come out with gimmicks to outsell the competition, remember "titanium injected neoprene"? Rip Curl claimed "Titanium is 200% warmer than regular neoprene" well if titanium worked why dont we see titanium dust used in wetsuits anymore?. Then one year it was the copper inner lining thing that would make your skin turn green LOL.....
But If i were rich man id buy the top of the line stuff too, and not have to worry about shopping around which is a PITA and id drive a Ferrari Testossarosa Gucci sunglasses etc......

kent 01-24-2008 04:52 PM

Whoa there buddy. Ease off on the coffee. I just said to do what your budget lets you do. If you want something significantly better, get the better suit. I can tell you that the difference is large when using a specific suit. If you want to use a dive suit it will work too, but your experience will be different. Today’s suits are all better. Neilpryde builds suits for Quick Sliver, Hurley, and Billabong. All of these are good suits, but NP and NPX just build suits that are more "suited" for what we do.

Those gimmicks you're speaking of also gave us far lighter and flexible neoprene, better closures, and killer wicking materials that keep the clam off of your skin. If you have been using older suits, you probably wouldn't have tried this stuff, and therefore you don't know what you’re missing. It’s kind of like a dog that has been beaten all of its life. It really doesn't know anything different; it just expects the beating everyday and thinks nothing of it.

It used to be that wetsuits were a commodity, but there is a difference. I dare you to hop into a Neilpryde Elite or 5000 series suits and say they're not far better. Obviously, it is over kill for where we live, but it will weigh less than your thinner suit and feel like it is a part of your skin. Water sheds off the suit like nothing else. The inner liner is awesome and you can stand on the beach all day if you want to without getting all clammy.

In short, get the surf suit if you want. It will be fine, but don't try a 5000 series, a Zealot, or Elite; because you will know that tomorrow beating is coming...

Kent

BigR 01-24-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

It used to be that wetsuits were a commodity, but there is a difference. I dare you to hop into a Neilpryde Elite or 5000 series suits and say they're not far better. Obviously, it is over kill for where we live, but it will weigh less than your thinner suit and feel like it is a part of your skin. Water sheds off the suit like nothing else. The inner liner is awesome and you can stand on the beach all day if you want to without getting all clammy

trust me, the 5000 Neil Pryde series is some seriously warm and flexible as heck suit. sure the cheap surf suits will do the job ( if thick enough ) , but they will never be as warm and manueverable with the quality neoprene that gives you yoga like flexibility with neoprene that shrugs off the wind chill like it didn't exist. thats important for early mornings when it blows most.

BTW, who is doing dawn patrol fri morning? Danny? I got a nice NP 5000 5/3 that I know I'll be cozy in even at 44 deg, just need my op gloves and I'm set.

DP, NE body?

inferno 01-24-2008 06:46 PM

sorry raul, cant make it... im watching my son tomorrow AM...
have fun...

Rodan'sWings 01-24-2008 06:55 PM

See ya out there Raul

Kent, That Neilpryde Elite/5000 sounds like the real deal, but ill put off testing one untill the day my OceanRodeo Pyro Surf drysuit starts wearing out.......which i hope aint soon. You see, im a featherweight and once it gets down to a certain temp i just dont believe in wetsuits, for me its gotta be my Drysuit or its just not worth the hypothermic pain. Drysuit and Dishwashing Gloves.....the blue ones. The O.R PyroSurf Drysuit is awesome and worth the $$ IMO but thats another topic

BigR 01-24-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Drysuit and Dishwashing Gloves.....the blue ones

LOL!!! on both hands too???!!! LOL!!!:D