FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Sunset Beach FYI (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8411)

Brian360 06-23-2009 05:50 AM

Sunset Beach FYI

FYI,

We had a furious patron call Tarpon PD and FWC regarding kiters kiting in the swim area. Two kiters were kiting well onshore near a few kids in the swim area. It's bad publicity for us to get complaints and if it goes on we'll be banned from kiting there. If anyone rides here, launch and land on the northside, and stay out of the swim area. The launch spot on the north side has no swim area, the swim bouy ends around 150 feet from where we launch at, giving plenty of space to launch/land and ride out to the north. So far this is really the first time we had a major complaint to where FWC came to talk to us, hopefully the last. Enjoy the wind.

Brian

Danimal8199 06-23-2009 08:23 AM

Brian,

Thanks for posting about this.

This is a very VERY important subject.

With the ban at honeymoon and other parks, and city rules in places like Dearfield Beach (I believe thats where it is) and many other places where the hammer is coming down, is there any reason to piss anyone off when we have the entire area to ride in?

Think about the damage you do to the sport and the access you can lose before you launch and ride.

At sunset it is a small launch but unlimited riding.

Don't launch by a small child or family standing or sitting on the beach. The water is 90 degrees out there, walk out into the water and safely launch away from people if you must.

and above all, don't get the cops called by riding in swim zones, crashing on someones head, riding to close to people even if they are outside the swim zones, and use common sense if you have it.

Good job Brian and others who follow the rules up there.

I know there are some new faces there but I encourage the experienced riders to positively encourage these other rides to follow the rules.

Thanks,

Danny

Todd RT 06-23-2009 08:35 AM

I guess the time has come that we have to 'self police' @ Sunset Beach.

With all the newbies being told that "it's a great place to learn", we need to be sure that they are being safe. Yesterday's problem was a newer rider. I guess I should have said something to him on a previous day, it's just not an easy conversation. But NOW I understand the importance of these kind of chats.

Unimog Bob 06-23-2009 12:50 PM

It is unfortunate what is going on. This stuff has been going on for years, and it can be frustrating. I am surprised we haven't lost more beach access. I think we have just been lucky.

Steve, in all fairness, it's impossible to compare EB to any of the Gulf Beaches or most other places we ride. EB receives very little beach-goer usage. It's sort of mucky, etc. So for the most part, when we kite there, there are not many non-kiters there for us to interfere with.
There are zero swim zones at EB. Much of the Gulf Beaches have a marked swim area.
In addition, EB is probably the only spot that has future access nearly guaranteed.It will be damn near impossible to lose access at EB (hopefully).
EB is the opposite of most other spots. SPB, for instance, is crowded as hell with beach-goers and has no guarantee of continued access.
So in my opinion, yeah, send 'em all to EB and keep them away from spots that are in jeopardy. I mean that. It makes sense to me.
Do you actually think EB is in jeopardy? It's not.
Any place along the (Gulf) beaches is fair game to be lost though.
Those of us who constantly say "go to EB, it's the best" say it to keep new riders from jeopardizing other spots. I always thought that was pretty obvious.

Back to the problem of riding too close to beach-goers. One suggestion is that all instructors (as role models) agree to follow some minimal riding guidelines (not excessive, minimal). Riding 100 feet from shore for starters. Once the locals see that all the instructors are taking this seriously, it'll be easier to convince others to respond and be responsible.

The opposite is that if instructors pay no attention to basic standards, it's unlikely anyone else will feel obligated to.

Danimal8199 06-23-2009 01:48 PM

The thing that is so simple about sunset park is that the swim zone is so small and not even near the launch site...

I don't know if the person that did this reads the forum or not, but it is just an easy concept and if you want to be able to continue to ride, long term that is, everyone has to do their part.

Basic stuff, check your lines, use a safety leash, don't ride by swimmers (even if outside the swim zone), don't jump close to the beach, use common sense, if you have a question don't be afraid to ask.

Unimog Bob 06-23-2009 02:21 PM

Does seem simple. A basic principle that overpowers common sense (for some) is the "mob see me" concept. It's simple too -- some ego driven riders will go out of their way to get as close to people as possible so they can be seen. After all, for these types, if they weren't seen that day, they didn't ride. :rolleyes:

Seen this principle play out for years now. I don't even know the layout of Sunset but would bet this guy did this to be seen.
I see this out by PaG often. As opposed to riding North about 200 yards (where there is no one, literally empty) many prefer to ride "in the action" among the bathers. It's unreal.

Danny, rule out common sense. We are talking ego here.
Many riders ride just to be seen.

Sorry to come off so negative, but this, and always will be THE problem in this sport. No solution to it, except maybe laws/fines.
If I am off base, someone explain to me why anyone would ride close to people? other than to be seen. I can't think of one reason.

Whitey 06-23-2009 09:44 PM

The young new rider that caused the cop call was not alone in riding in the swim zone yesterday.

However I did talk to him and his mother and they did not know the rules. They know now, and completley understand. He was out there today and acted like the swim zone was a sure case of the swine flu.

There are others that are regulars at sunset that need to be advised of the situation and obviously do not read this forum, as they were riding right thru the swim zone today. Lead by example, and if you see someone riding in there make a note and have a nice talk with them when they land, this is a very manageable situation, as everyone there has to launch and land thru a 45' space.

The "small group" at sunset was 23 kites yesterday! Close to that today.

Danimal8199 06-23-2009 10:15 PM

Whitey, Thanks for having a talk. I believe I have talked to this kid about other issues as I was once a newbie and he does not come off as the "screw you i'll do what I want type", so I'm glad that situation was remeded.

It should also be noted that 3 florida deaths from swine flu have actually originated in the swim zone at sunset park! :)

As far as the small crew, I didn't get out until about 5:45 today and there was still a "small crew" there! Glad to see everyone making good use of this summer wind!

Huntersirg 06-23-2009 10:34 PM

This is all good info but in reality not many people are on these forums. The best way would be to get some signs at these spots (sunset, honeymoon) so there's none of this oh I didn't know. I ride both these spots from time to time and would be willing to donate towards some signs or help build some if it will help us keep our access.

ricki 06-24-2009 03:01 AM

Good suggestion. Guidelines aren't rocket science, they're easy to put together. Best advice, just do it. Getting permission to put signs up from authorities can be a major undertaking at times however. One solution is to put them up and take them down when the wind's on. Pain but it may beat having no signs. The FKA will put in $50. for signage once you've got the info to put on them. Good luck, sorry to hear about the complaint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntersirg (Post 40942)
This is all good info but in reality not many people are on these forums. The best way would be to get some signs at these spots (sunset, honeymoon) so there's none of this oh I didn't know. I ride both these spots from time to time and would be willing to donate towards some signs or help build some if it will help us keep our access.

Steve-O 06-24-2009 11:04 AM

That kid has been spoken to by just about everyone up there. It finally took a cop to get him to listen. IMO kid had poor training with no specific info of how to ride local spots. With that said it is up to local riders of their cherished spot to

1. Show the best example of how they want their spot to be ridden.
2. Be ready to confront and educate about any issues they see from new or experienced riders.
3. Don't be afraid to be a dick if needed. Get your point across!!!

I'm all for signage, but actual "lead by example" and "confronting issues head on" are going to have the most impact.

Doug Widmann can give a great clinic on working and dealing with riders that effect access. When this guy spots an issue, he is in the face and makes his point absolutely clear.

Starting a new org.

KAKK
Kiters Against Kooky Kiting

uchuche 06-25-2009 08:57 AM

Wow I feel safer already. Some people need to accept the fact that self policing has never worked and probably will never work, and come up with another solution.

You simply cannot be everywhere at once, and when our best kiters rip through the swim zones themselves, there is no example to follow.

As it stands now, the whole group is responsible for one person's actions.

If that's how you want it, then expect to get banned (again) in the near future when one person does something serious and gets someone hurt.

No amount of BBQs and beach cleanups is going to have an effect on that.

The fact that these "look what happened we need to self police" posts are so frequent supports my opinion that self policing is not working. In this case law enforcement made the guy finally listen... wow imagine that!!

Alex 06-25-2009 10:04 AM

People like this kid probably don't even know that riding in swim zones is frowned upon, its assumed that everyone knows but the first time i rode any of the beaches 5 years ago i had no clue i was supposed to stay out of them. The only thing you can do is approach and ask but be stern like Doug. That dude is a stand up guy for sure, and he'll be stern yet respectful. You can't go up to anyone on the beach and act like a dick, its as simple as that. People no matter the age or skill level deserve respect. IF you see someone coming down to rig that you don't recognize, just go approach them and ask about the conditions and make small talk etc. if they dont seem like they know what's up then mention the whole swim zone issue. Its easier than everybody is making it out to be. we dont need huge meetings and harness tags and stuff like that.

highly doubt this kid that is new to kiting rode through the swim zone because of his ego

Unimog Bob 06-25-2009 01:48 PM

Good points.

Regardless of this guy, newbie or not, he is not in isolation. I see many people ride well within 100 feet of shore (less than a line's length) on a regular basis. Many come in to carve their turn within 20 feet of people. I do view this as ego (but am open to hear other reasons anyone would do this).

To me it seems like just staying out another 80 feet is so easy. It literally doesn't register in my mind why/how some can knowingly come so close to bathers. It's like an equation in my head that doesn't add up.
(Coming close to bathers : Negative to them= Possibly huge.. Positive to you= ego stroke). That's not a very well balanced equation and has always bothered me.

The only reason I even care (as do many others) is that riding too close to shore appears to be the number 1 threat to our access along the beaches, and obviously, I don't want a little kid hurt. It's a real threat, not just me being a granny. Several of us know this. The problem is that for many, this concept is totally foreign.
It's easy to get caught up in what you are doing and having fun, but as a group, I think we need to wake up a little better to our surroundings.

This type of behavior is obviously widespread. Otherwise we wouldn't hear about so many issues.

Alex, I see jeopardizing others along the beach and our access as pure ego. Maybe this newbie wasn't behaving that way, but that's what I believe to be the source of most of the problems.

Whitey 06-25-2009 02:15 PM

You are dead on Alex. He did not know. His mom had been bringing him up to ride at sunset while she would sit on the beach. They watched other kiters riding in that area on every occasion that they had been there. Common practice.

Hell I didn't know I was considered a vessel (once under way, powered by the kite) until a County sheriff showed me in the code book.

The day the cops came there were many passes made thru the swim zone. Alex (the new rider's name also) just happen to be the one that flipped the switch on the man on the beach that made the call.

I have know Alex and his family since he was 8 years old, it was no problem to let him know what was going on and how to fix it. He is good to go now.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

Unimog Bob 06-25-2009 02:25 PM

Craig, that's brings up an important point. Monkey see, monkey do.
That's why (imo) instructors and vets should set a better example. When they don't, it's obvious how new riders will act.
Did he take lessons? Was staying a certain distance out not covered?

Anyway, this kind of stuff has been discussed for oh so long. You guys have fun with it. :)

H 06-25-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntersirg (Post 40942)

I'd add that a good idea might be to print up some cards for this forum and keep them with us to hand out. That way we can get more people to the board. Let them know that it can be a great resource for spots, weather, and riding tips. Not everyone will remember the site from just being told, but a card would help, and I imagine anyone just starting out will want as much info as they can get.

Jake 06-25-2009 05:54 PM

Proposed Rules

1 Attachment(s)
How about the attached for starters? Any changes/additions? I'll repost any submitted.

Thanks!

Gui 06-25-2009 08:22 PM

The sign has been ready for over a year now !

Cost... about 200$ to have it done

If anyone has a better deal. Post about it.

Huntersirg 06-26-2009 12:28 AM

Should make the stay out of swim zones more pronounced on that sign considering that is the main concern with johnny law. Do this and I've got 20 on sunset and if we can get one on honeymoon Ill match that! Approval for a sign shouldn't be to hard it's for public safety can't see them complaining. Kiteboarding is not a crime!

jetpack 06-26-2009 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntersirg (Post 40992)
Kiteboarding is not a crime!

AGREED! :D

So what about a sign like this. I pulled this from a vid from a kitesurfing location. I mean if we have to have a sign with 10+ ways asking us
how to behave, why not 1 simple sign for non-kiters?

"The Cooler"

Steve-O 06-26-2009 09:45 AM

I feel like I am on a merry go round and I can't get off.

Gotta agree with Scott 1000% (unimog bob)

#1 issue in kiteboarding is poor examples set by veteran riders
(I too have been guilty from time to time)

Forums, signs, self-policing all can have a positive impact, but none will have more impact than the good and bad riding habits that veterans display at their local spots.

On another note I have seen self-policing be effective, however, it can all get thrown out the window if riders that know better don't police themselves.

It's human nature to learn the hard way. That will always be the battle IMO.

I ride Sunset and I hope that this will be a wakeup to us all that ride there to step up and lead by example. Mistakes get made, but if we choose not to learn from them, then we have no one to blame but ourselves for losing this jewel of a spot.

I think the essence of what Scott is saying is make the signs if it makes you feel better, but you better be ready to back it up. Be careful what you wish for.

Todd RT 06-27-2009 05:45 AM

Can the local shops help us out by sharing this info with the students in their "intro to kiteboarding" classes? Steve-O?

When I was in Wrightsville Beach and asked the local shop about riding locations (there were only a few), the shop spent about 1/2 hour with me discussing the launch areas and what all the rules were. They made it very clear that if I broke these rules that I was risking THEIR ACCESS.

Then when I hit the beach, the local riders explained these rules AGAIN (but of course I ASKED, like most experienced riders would).

If we are PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE, we hopefully shouldn't have any more problems.

What if:

1. FIRST, the shops/instructors explain the rules and the REASON for these rules.....
2. PLUS we all lead by example....
3. AND we watch out for new riders/non-locals and politely explain the local rules to them...

Hopefully we shouldnt' have any more issues and can PROTECT OUR ACCESS!

:cool:

Steve-O 06-27-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd RT (Post 41007)
Can the local shops help us out by sharing this info with the students in their "intro to kiteboarding" classes? Steve-O?

When I was in Wrightsville Beach and asked the local shop about riding locations (there were only a few), the shop spent about 1/2 hour with me discussing the launch areas and what all the rules were. They made it very clear that if I broke these rules that I was risking THEIR ACCESS.

Then when I hit the beach, the local riders explained these rules AGAIN (but of course I ASKED, like most experienced riders would).

If we are PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE, we hopefully shouldn't have any more problems.

What if:

1. FIRST, the shops/instructors explain the rules and the REASON for these rules.....
2. PLUS we all lead by example....
3. AND we watch out for new riders/non-locals and politely explain the local rules to them...

Hopefully we shouldnt' have any more issues and can PROTECT OUR ACCESS!

:cool:

It is definately within our best interest as a business to keep access open to the sport. Just for that reason, I think we take that responsibility more seriously than most. We do not advertise galore all over the internet to come to Tampa Bay and ride. We don't really want that for our local scene. Tampa Bay is the best kept secret and we would like to keep it that way. Furthermore, we have designed a 3 hour lecture for each student to take them through the basics of riding a spot, which include detailed insight on Sunset Park and East Beach. Emphasis on launching kites in the water vs. on land, keeping a good safe distance from the beach, not riding in swim area, ect. is all covered. Lots of time is spent on the reality of bans and what can be done to prevent them. Again, a great deal of detail is being spent on these topics. I can't think of one kite school that is going to this length to educate their students about these topics. Our students don't even see a kite until after 3 hours of instruction. I think that is unheard of in the industry. Quite the exception and not the norm unfortunately.

I will however, post a riding map of Sunset Park for any visiting kiter to inform them of that space. Sunset is unique in that if you kite there, you will definately be sharing space with the public unlike many other flat water spots around the greater Tampa Bay area. However, be careful what you wish for, as posting a riding map will only push folks towards that location. Its a double edge sword IMO.

With all that said, your 2nd and 3rd suggestion will go along way as well. If we all work together, then we can hopefully spot potential problems from turning into bans.

Like I said earlier, I am not perfect and have made my share of mistakes, but I can only improve and try to set a better example as each session passes. By the way, I offered to put together an informative handout for everyone to have and distribute as needed, but it did not get much response. I don't think something like that could hurt. Thoughts????

Steve-O 06-27-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

3. Don't be afraid to be a dick if needed. Get your point across!!!
Just wanted to clarify as I did say "if needed". Yes be polite and respectful, but if you feel your point isn't being taken seriously, then you might need to step it up.

What sucks is if you are the one to try and explain the rules to someone, and riders are off in the distance breaking these all over the place, then who looks like the dick??? Maybe that is the reason why folks are afraid to self police, and why self policing isn't as effective as it could be. Just something to think about.

I know I preach stuff to my students all the time, and in the same breath someone is off doing something completely crazy. I taught in the public schools, and rules don't really work if there is no punishment for those that break them.

Sure cops come out and pounce on one guy. But is that going to change the behavior of others??? Part of me believes nothing will change and eventually we WILL lose access, part of me hopes that we can change.

This I do know.....I can only control what I can do and others that work with me. Hopefully our actions will effect the sport in a positive way and we can only hope others will follow.

Be on the lookout for www.kitesafe.net a website solely dedicated to safer kiting and protecting access.

Gui 06-27-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-O (Post 41011)
I will however, post a riding map of Sunset Park for any visiting kiter to inform them of that space. Sunset is unique in that if you kite there, you will definately be sharing space with the public unlike many other flat water spots around the greater Tampa Bay area. However, be careful what you wish for, as posting a riding map will only push folks towards that location. Its a double edge sword IMO.

Yes Steve-O as you mentioned It's a double edge sword.

Being a local at SB I strongly disagree about doing any advertising regarding this location
We will self police the spot ourself.

uchuche 06-27-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey (Post 40980)
Hell I didn't know I was considered a vessel (once under way, powered by the kite) until a County sherrif showed me in the code book.

Nobody has mentioned this but I consider this info from Whitey the most important piece of information in this thread.

WE ARE VESSELS therefore we are prohibited from swim zones, period.

We have been arguing this point for years... now here the county sheriff just set us straight yet again. The coast guard and beach police did the same thing about 9 months ago when they threatened to fine us at T.I. if we rode through the swim zone after we launched. In fact they told us we could not ride through the swim zone period, even to get out past it. If we wanted to ride we had to launch outside the swim zone (further down the beach). Seems someone earlier (around TI, PAG or Sunset) had royally pissed someone off and the police were notified. We had just arrived so it was not us.

If you are still riding through swim zones you are seriously jeopardizing our access.

-tom

Steve-O 06-27-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

If you are still riding through swim zones you are seriously jeopardizing our access.

Just thought that should be stated again.

Was out at IRB having a nice sunset session after work today. God was it beautiful out there. Anyway, saw a rider a couple 100 yds up the beach tacking about 10 feet from shore with kite over heads. Went up to see who it was and it was a rider I regularly see from Sunset Park. Was so bummed. He looked at me and gave me a big smile as if I was going to stay and sesh with him, I however just took off and went about a mile south. Couldn't really address the problem there, but I will address it next time I see him at Sunset Park. I hope he gets it. One rider at a time I guess will be my approach.

Couldn't imagine not being able to get off work, drive 5 minutes down to the beach and not being able to ride ever again. That would really be a dark day for me personally.

It is so blantantly obvious to me now what I must do.

Is it obvious to you????

Todd RT 06-28-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-O (Post 41011)

Nope... didn't wish for that bro. My point was... if you're going to tell people it's a good place to ride and send them up there, you guys could help us by explaining the rules. Sounds like you are.

Personally, I wish we could go back in time 2 years when SB was THE "secret spot". :D

Steve-O 06-28-2009 07:51 AM

Alright then. I think an understanding has been struck. Keep in mind Todd that most folks that ride Sunset live near the place. Call it their local spot if you will.

Any new riders you see there for the most part started the path to kiteboarding by seeing kiteboarding at Sunset. Those same folks have never heard of Watersports West. In their journey to wanting to get into the sport, they find us. It is only natural for them to want to use the spot as they learn.

Kiters too often forget that it is the kites themselves that drive people to the sport, certainly not a shop.

Yes, however you look at it, the sport is growing, and "the secret is out". Sunset is a classic example of that growth.

If there is one place that I have faith that a group of folks can work together to keep a spot under control, it is Sunset Park. I have not witnessed such a tight knit group like the "Sunset Crew".

Let's keep doing what we are doing and set an example for others to follow.

1. Keep communicating about issues and find solutions
2. Treat each other with respect
3. Not play the blame game

You have my word that you can rely on myself and the others that teach up there to work with you all to preserve that space. Brian, Doug, Sarah, and myself will do everything in our power to preserve access there. We will set a good example, we will make sure our students understand the "rules", and we will be the first to get our hands dirty if need be. If you would like us to do something, just ask.

With that said, I would like for you all to consider how you as locals ride the spot, and consider what kind of effect that riding behavior has on others, especially new and/or visiting kiters.

If you would like a sign up there, come together as a group, decide what you want on it, and let's get it approved, made, and installed. If there is one place that I can see a group coming together and making this happen, I believe it is "the Sunset crew".

Whatever, you all decide, you know I will support.

dpfly 06-28-2009 04:40 PM

Hey Ya'll, after reading the thread, and reflecting on my experiences over the last 2 years, I believe imprinting students from the first day is paramount. We all learn the technical aspects of rigging and riding on our first lesson, but students should also be taught to find out what the local spot practices are before opening the bag. It needs to become an integral part of kiteboarding. If standard practice were to meet and quickly discuss where to ride and local dangers, there would never be a need to engage in "after the fact education". I think teaching riders from day one, that a briefing is as much a part of the sport as pumping up the kite, we can go a long way in preservation efforts worldwide. I also agree that the actions with the greatest consequences need to be listed first if local signs are used as part of the solution.

jakester 06-28-2009 08:23 PM

No good for newbies

I wouldn't suggest sunset beach for newby riders.
Imo east beach is better suited for newbies.
There have been alot of problems with sea lice lateley biting many of the riders in private places. I've also heard some reports of sea lice in nasal cavities and ears. They tend to like the algae that blooms in the summer. If you are not an experienced rider, you will be spending alot of time under water...

jetpack 06-29-2009 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great session there yesterday. Filled in great around 5pm. More
experienced kiters where able to get out earlier. By the evening about
8 kiters where on the water.

The Father & Son team where there and I saw and heard a great attitude
versus my first impression. The father was directing the kid out into
the water and making sure the kite was at the edge of the water and not
on the top of the beach. Kudos!

Two guys where asking about what we were doing and interested in
lesson. I overheard Sarah, selling two guys on the importance of the 3hr
class at WSW.

Also someone came in and wanted to land too close on top of beach.
A kiter, loudly, firmly but polite yelled out to "take it out further to the water".
The guy got the point. I think self "regulation" is the only way to go. A sign
doesn't have a brain and can't make anyone behave a certain way.

I hear ya about sea lice, and I'm getting better and better each session.
However driving to East Beach is just not an options for some.
I'm only 12 miles from Sunset and 56 from EB. Can't justify going that far.

Attached pic- Can you spot the 2 kites that seem a little "high"?

Todd RT 06-29-2009 08:58 AM

The sea lice is horrible this year. I wonder why it's so bad this year?

Maybe because so many people are stirring up the bottom... which is their home.

Steve-O 06-29-2009 10:42 AM

Here is a can of worms.....

You ready.......

Maybe its time to look at Howard Park, and putting together a proposal to ride the park.

We have every right to be there when it opens IMO.

Thoughts???

I know I would like to ride the place.

Whitey???? You up for a meeting with the park ranger?

Steve-O 06-29-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd RT (Post 41033)
The sea lice is horrible this year. I wonder why it's so bad this year?

Maybe because so many people are stirring up the bottom... which is their home.

When was the last time anyone rode this much is JUNE? :)

Todd RT 06-29-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-O (Post 41035)
Here is a can of worms.....

You ready.......

Maybe its time to look at Howard Park, and putting together a proposal to ride the park.

We have every right to be there when it opens IMO.

Thoughts???

I know I would like to ride the place.

Whitey???? You up for a meeting with the park ranger?

That place sucks as bad as SB. Sea lice everywhere, too many windsurfers... I don't think it's a good kiting location. :D

Brian360 06-29-2009 11:59 AM

In regards to Howard park, the parks in pinellas have been disamated with budget cuts, there's hardly a staff of 3 in every park now. Once the new budget year goes in in October, the parks may only have one person working their during the day. I'd like to set something up to ride there but in years past Howard was for the windsurfers and sunset for kiters. Howard Park isn't going to open till December now. But if it alleviates the congestion at sunset I'm all for it.
As for sunset beach, just a reminder, riders should be out the launch area, I seen alot of kites hogging the beach area and not riding. Either land the kite or launch upwind of the beach and away from the swim area and go.

Danimal8199 06-29-2009 01:36 PM

Brian, I wish everyone could see how whale harbor operates. That is an example where not having proper etiquette is not tolerated and it seems that things run pretty smoothly there especially for having such a small launch area.

noel 06-29-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal8199 (Post 41040)
Brian, I wish everyone could see how whale harbor operates. That is an example where not having proper etiquette is not tolerated and it seems that things run pretty smoothly there especially for having such a small launch area.

Your kidding right? There were more accidents at Whale Harbor this year than anywhere in the keys. Kites in the trees all the time, a girl lofted to the top of a tree after no body told her the kite was too big. An out of control kite from one of the instructors death looping and hitting a model in the resort next door. Riders hitting sliders that are parked on the beach so know one will hit them. Kiteloops 10 ft. off the beach. The best close call I remember was a pro kiter (no names) going under the WH bridge with the kite still in neutral, he unhooked and let go of the kite. He went under the bridge and his kite went over the bridge and under the powerlines. Do I need to go on.

If anyone models their beach off of WH, don't expect it to remain open for long. I love riding at Whale Harbor but it still has alot of problems. The locals there try to police the beach but the people in charge of the beach don't say anything to anyone even when asked to say something.