FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2008 Waroos (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5533)

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 11:12 AM

Scott I didn't read the whole kiteforum thread, but I did like this one quote. It was pretty darn funny:

Quote:

toast has it right - the more you pay for your kite, the better kiter you are - that is just simple economics! you need to spend at least $1000 per kite to back roll and $1500 and up to handle pass. For $500 you are lucky to stay upwind.

bryanleighty 01-18-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stock (Post 27941)
Scott I didn't read the whole kiteforum thread, but I did like this one quote. It was pretty darn funny:

Quote:
toast has it right - the more you pay for your kite, the better kiter you are - that is just simple economics! you need to spend at least $1000 per kite to back roll and $1500 and up to handle pass. For $500 you are lucky to stay upwind.

that was posted in early 2007...

Can anyone who is good at math get me today's numbers factoring in inflation?

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 11:20 AM

$1579 to do a backroll, 1,100 to stay upwind. Sorry Bryan, you won't be able to stay upwind anymore. LMAO.

That guy was joking with Toast and poking fun at him.
It is a pretty ridiculous concept and deserves to be harassed.

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 11:24 AM

Hmmm... doesn't seem to be working.

Man I screwed up the other night and misjudged my landing when we were riding in the dark. Dove the kite hard way too early because I misjudged my landing (thought I was a lot lower than I actually was). Dropped the last 10 feet with no lift at all in a foot of water and landed hard as hell.

My knee is a wreck today. I can hardly walk on it. Crap!

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 11:26 AM

Yeah. I am use to riding at night and even jumping, no worries.
But, it was trying to land an unhooked move that was a joke. I couldn't see the water and also ate one bad. I realized once we were out, we had no glo sticks on our boards. I barely found my board after the teabag.
I won't do that again.

inferno 01-18-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 27945)
Yeah. I am use to riding at night and even jumping, no worries.
But, it was trying to land an unhooked move that was a joke. I couldn't see the water and also ate one bad. I realized once we were out, we had no glo sticks on our boards. I barely found my board after the teabag.
I won't do that again.

looks like someone needs little blinking lights :)

do glow sticks come standard on SB3's :confused:

BigR 01-18-2008 12:32 PM

Well since Tom refuses to see that comparisons between apples and oranges are invalid, I wish to substitute the cabrinha OMEGA for my kite pricing in all the above threads.

Please subtract $200 off all cabrinha prices listed in the above discussions ( but you still get the bar/ lines and single pump inflation )

LOLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 12:39 PM

That's an 07 kite!

BigR 01-18-2008 12:42 PM

then sub the cabby CONVERT!

double LOL!!!!!!!!!:D

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 12:43 PM

hah

But what can you expect from a guy who rides directionals. One way thinking.

:D

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 01:01 PM

The best value in kites is the close outs on 2007 kites, imo. You can get some sick deals on some kites right now. Then ride it for a season, sell it for 200 less than you bought it while it's in good shape, and buy a 2008 kite (new) at closeout this time next year.
Repeat the process every year. You end up literally only paying 200 to 300 (max) a year for a kite that way.

Some of the most heavily marked up kites are the most discounted (makes sense, because they clear them out just a tad above cost the longer they sit around) so you can get deals on all brands this time of year. Cars are the same way.
Some people like brand new cars. Some wait for the price to depreciate at the end of the year before buying.
The beauty is, the kite doesn't rust or truly deteriorate while sitting inside, not in my experience anyway.

Steve-O 01-18-2008 01:07 PM

I can agree with that. We have all kinds of stuff on clearance. Anyone buying an 07 kite or board is getting a killer deal and a half.

Like some....I am just a peace loving hippie!!!!!!

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 02:03 PM

no kidding.. I got my 06 waroos in 07 for $350-$400 each brand new, never inflated, valves still sealed with foam!

bryanleighty 01-18-2008 02:44 PM

i considered waiting for the 2008's to go on the used market.. was not interested in the 2007's ...but with the bridle failures of my old kites and since Ive been thinking this over for a while i figured it was time to take the plunge.

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 03:06 PM

I obviously did the same thing. I think the 08 'roo smokes the 07 and it was worth it for me to pass on the 07 bargains.

I doubt from here on out the SLEs can outdo themselves at such a fast pace as they have been the last couple of years though.
Even if they do, I would be happy riding my current 9m and 15m forever, if it came to that.

Next year I will be buying 08s, most likely. :)

Whitey 01-19-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stock (Post 27927)
I think you did your math wrong.

08 Waroo quiver (15M, 11M, 9M + bar and lines (who needs 3 bars): $2696.00 + tax
08 SBIII quiver (16M,12M,8M): $4817.00 + tax

5154.00 SB3s after tax
2884.00 WAROOs after tax
======
2270.00 less expensive quiver.

Why would you waste your time even posting something like that?

If anyone reading this crap walks into their local shop that carries inventory any where in Florida ( in our case WSW) and tells them you want to buy the above mentioned SBIII quiver you will quickly find out what BS this is.

I have purchased my Best Waroo, my Cabrinha 8, 10, 12, 14 SB3's & 17 Contra at WSW along with my Ozone Edge 13, Slingshot B3, 8, 12, & 16 Octains there. I recieved the best of customer service on each of the brands. If the manufacture wouldn't cover it or WSW came up with a fare and accecptable solution every time, even if it was at their expense.

Yes I have some overlap in my quiver. I like kites more than money. Kites turn money into fun for me. That does not make me stupid, after all I'm smart enough to make the money to buy the kites.

I'm not dumb enough to buy into the above post, and only take the time to post this to help out someone new to our sport that is reading this forum to learn something and might take it for true.

I have purchased kites not listed above from several shops in Florida. Met really nice and helpful people in each of the shops from the panhandle to Ft. Lauderdale. Just like I did at WSW.

When we have a race or event here in the Bay area our local shop is the first to step up with prizes, sponsership and resources to help.

Support your local shop so that when you need a part or peice to ride the next day you can walk in, dig through tens of, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of inventory and get it.

Just an OGs opinion. Enjoy the power of the wind.

BigR 01-19-2008 08:57 AM

I don't think Tom was actually bieng serious when he made those posts,
he just wanted to play with me. Guess I was easy to bait, huh Tom?

Oh , and thanks for playing our game Tom!!!! LOL!

Whitey 01-19-2008 09:06 AM

Oh, never mind

Steve-O 01-19-2008 10:36 AM

Yeah, I didn't bite. But thanks for the nice words anyways Whitey!!!!!!

Tom Stock 01-19-2008 05:13 PM

I was playing games with Raul. But those are the actual retail prices.

Of course no kite is actually sold at retail when you show up with cash in hand.

Whitey 01-19-2008 05:37 PM

Big R that sure is a beautiful surf board you were on today. I was riding behind you on a couple of tacks and that thing just looks so nice. Sorry you didn't get any real waves it just didn't have any time to crank up. Boy I'm glad we left when we did, just as we got to the dock it went to full gale with lots of electricity in the air, we put the boat away in 45 plus.

Tom Stock 01-19-2008 05:45 PM

I got 15-20 minutes at Backside before the storm came in. Lit and jumping to the moon on my 9m. I worked my way up wind and did one continuous series of jumps and kite loops that made me grin ear to ear. Too bad there was noone else there to enjoy it with. Self landed just as the storm rolled in.

Ready for tomorrow!! Gandy->SW

BigR 01-19-2008 07:30 PM

Thanks Whitey!

It was a blast out there, I should'a rigged bigger, a 12m instead of the 9m, But it was lotsa fun! We'll definitely be back for more.

Yeah, there was a real buzzz in the air at the very end, a little electrifyng even. LOL! Chad sure felt it as he landed his kite.....

Steve-O 01-19-2008 07:48 PM

Just talked to Gabe....he got sparked twice up there at Honeymoon. I think that makes 5 hits for him since I have been riding with him.

If he ever joined the forum I think "Sparky" would be the perfect screen name.

Chad085 01-20-2008 08:06 AM

yep i got zapped pretty good that was nuts. I heard some thunder on my tack out, then on the way in went for "one more boost" when i landed it arc-ed about 2 feet from the water to my leg and hurt like hell. Just goes with my shocking personality i guess;)

<jason 01-27-2008 04:10 PM

first session on the 13m 08 roo

Was at nb today first time on my new roo...and although i have no (new kite) basis for comparison that thing smokes....imo
Does anybody know what it was blowin there?
Even boosted a little air off of a wave..( Good for me cause i totally suck )
Port tack upwind like a mofo starboard not happening yet...my legs hurt from walking so much :)
Jason

Skyway Scott 01-27-2008 04:25 PM

Cool. I am trying to figure out what it was blowing out there and in other areas. An educated guess averaging a couple sensors would give you around 18 to 20 most of the day. But, the current shit cans some of it out there, so probably felt more like mid to high teens (?) on the water. What did it seem like?
Got a wind meter? (I know I don't!)

I can tell you that kite smokes last year's waroo. Not even close. Last year's is a pig by comparison.

Tom Stock 01-27-2008 05:45 PM

No kidding... since I was riding my 9m 08 waroo today, jumping and going upwind with no problem... last year I would have never rigged a 9m in 15mph.