FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Session Report! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Where is the wind? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8941)

urjc22 11-18-2009 04:47 PM

Where is the wind?

Will be down in the Keys from Nov. 23 to Nov. 29 and it seems like the wind season has been slow to start?

noel 11-18-2009 09:24 PM

Actually this is pretty normal. Winds usually start @ middle to end of November. Been kind of dead for a week or two but a few morning sessions if you are ready for it. We're waiting for you to bring the wind with you.

Otherside Boardsports
www.othersideboardsports.com

troubleshooter 11-18-2009 09:55 PM

Actually, last year we had our first big wind front the 3rd day of September. 3more back to back 20 knot fronts through September and 3 more in October followed. That was sweet. This sucks.

noel 11-19-2009 12:04 AM

I'm only saying that on average, this is normal. Last year was probably the exception. Of course when was the last time you remember (hurricanes don't count) a high pressure system giving us 30-40 mph winds for 4-5 days so early in the season?

urjc22 11-19-2009 11:45 AM

How many days out do you guys generally look at the forecast? As of now, doesn't look like any wind within the next week.

troubleshooter 11-19-2009 07:42 PM

This time of year (frontal season) if you see a blip on the long term forecast (usually a week out) that means something is coming. The day it comes may be delayed a day or move up a day. Look for the blips that start with a wind shift with light variable winds the day before then a 15-20 knot forecast usually E to NE starting the following day. Forecasyt are usually solid 3 days and earlier.

Last year was an exception but we can only hope. This seasons frequency really does suck so far. I think it all got packed into that 30+ system.

jim 11-20-2009 06:55 AM

Interesting that we have had more seabreezes this season in sarasota than usual so far.Rideable at 15+many days of the week.Supposedly this is a strong el nino year and from what I'm told that means more west winds-maybe thats shutting down the prevailing east wind you guys in the keys get? Hope your season gets going!

Safe_Cracker 11-21-2009 09:12 AM

I come down every year and there is usually wind, what happened didn't you guys do your wind dance lol ? I will start my dance maybe if we all do it together haha...:p

Polo...

noel 11-21-2009 10:18 AM

And all of a sudden, BAM! The forecast changes and there's 20 knots for tuesday afternoon and wednesday and more for friday.

troubleshooter 11-21-2009 05:32 PM

I see a blip comin in Thursday to Friday with a wind shift and increase but what do you see Tuesday and Wednesday?