FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Northeast Florida (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Some thoughts after my first trip to Matanza Inlet (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2254)

BizGuru 10-09-2006 02:00 PM

Some thoughts after my first trip to Matanza Inlet

It was nice to be at a true kiting beach for a change. It really was a great place to ride. It seemed as if everyone respected that area as being for the kiters and did not come and set up to close. This is something I wish we had around here. However they were a few things that bothered me and I have to ask if I am in some confused about the interactions between kiters. Please someone let me know what is right and give me your thoughts on the situations below.

The first was disaster waiting to happen. We set up on the beach leaving some room between us and the other kiters, knowing we are inexperience we wanted to make sure we had plenty of room to rig and launch without interrupting anyone. Some other kiters came in a bit later and park fairly
No issue so far. However they go to launch and rather than walk close to shore and launch where we were not 10 feet downwind of kite right in the power zone from where the guy was standing. If the kite where to roll on the launch it would run though the power and into me, my girlfriend and my grill. Ok not a good practice but not THAT stupid. Then with his kite launched and up overhead he picks up the bar to his partners kite and holds it in one hand. Now his partner lifts the second kite at the edge of the wind and attempts to keep it stable with one hand. This kite too was launching in a spot the left us right in the hot zone. I seeing a disaster coming begin to stand up, sure enough the first time he lets go of the kite to go grab the bar it attempts to roll into the power zone and take off. I run over right as he catches the kite and pulls it back to the edge of the wind. I inform him that I will be happy to launch him and let him run to his bar and safely launch his kite. I have seen someone with a kite launch hold a kite until his partner is ready witch seems risky but holding the bar seems far more stupid. Thoughts?

The second thing I noticed I have seen several times and that is a lack of support from kiters unless they are there with you. I mean I am not asking someone to fetch my board they I had to down my kite and chase 300 yards down the beach and swim out and get but it is little stuff. I have watch kiters sitting around watching people struggle self launch, I mean your just standing there how hard is it to hold a kite so someone does not have to self launch or land there kite. Another example I was moving my kite down the beach to place it next to my car and I watch a guy crash his 20m Aero 2 with 5th Line. Not the easiest of kites to relaunch. As I sat my kite down I watch several kiters 20 yards away watch him struggle to relaunch as his kite ended up right at shore. Since no one else seemed to care I walked over signaled land and launch to the guy in the water. He signaled launch so I tipped the kite up and he was quickly back on his way. I got a yelled THANK YOU, and I went back on my way. I read about how close the kiting community was but I really didn't see the support for each other I was expecting. I mean this was a small act from me but it I know it saved a world of effort on the other end. Is my hospitality to much? Is it not appropriate to help other kiters out? I just know if I was on the other end I would great appreciate the help.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Don't get me wrong I love the beach and there were some helpful people around however, stuff like this seemed to bother me and I just wanted to get others thoughts on this subject and find out what types of things they have noticed. Here is a nice pic from that day (sorry pic to big, I will edit tonight and post some pics. I have one nice pic with 15 kites in the air.

Here is the link

http://74.238.64.35/FULLBEACH.JPG

JoshTaylor 10-09-2006 02:37 PM

i love it there.

BizGuru 10-09-2006 04:17 PM

NO NO NO, I ment community as kiters in general not local or non local.

I had my best day kiting ever at the beach there on saturday, do not take it as I had a bad day.

The locals seemed very nice and gave plenty of good advise. Like don't launch here go closer to inlet after a wave ate me when we first got there. The stupid launch I described and the lack of helpfulness where from some non locals.

I just really wanted your thoughts on my actions and find out why this is not more common. I was non local, but helped several people inluding the mentioned relaunch.

Also I did see you guys pick up some downed kiters on the far south side of the inlet. That is great to see. The local community seems to be fantastic. I will be back without a doubt, it was just some general ideals and one style of partner launch I wanted some experienced kiters opinion of.

BTW Scott and Rick, it was your talk of the spot that got me that and I OWE you guys a huge thanks look forward to kiting with you guys.

Skyway Scott 10-09-2006 04:25 PM

I love it too, Josh and love the local crew. Heck, I moved my entire life over here and Donna is moving as well. Most of the reason for the decision is the beauty of the area, the great wind, and the hospitality of the local crew. The job is fun too!

Biz, there were mainly out of town riders there that day with about 6 locals from what I heard.
So, you weren't the only "visitor".
I rode Matanzas all day Sunday and it was sweet :)
I didn't see anything odd and everyone was getting along great, as usual.

I don't know exactly about the situations you described, but I personally always speak up when I see something fishy.
It sounds like you weren't sure if it was acceptable or odd behavior.
In that type of situation, I think some advice would be to have asked the guys involved- - "Hey, is it really safe to launch that way?" or "Hey, why aren't you helping that guy?" etc. That's how I do it. Doesn't mean it's right, but you seem to be asking for advice. I have found 99% of kiters are exceptionally nice, cool and not really "turf or clique" oriented, at least here and in St. Pete, where I have kited mostly.

Well, it is STILL blowing here and Daryl and I are wrapping it up and gettin ready to ride!
Matanzas is a cherry spot for sure. Trust me Biz, if something jeopardizes it, the locals (including me) won't allow it.

ricki 10-09-2006 07:53 PM

We should try to help each other whenever we can. This doesn't always happen, still most of us find ourselves needing a hand at one time or another. Helping out only makes sense.

Your instincts are sound, trying to fly two kites particularly with bystanders in the hot zone is a real bad idea. People won't cause avoidable injury and havoc from this practice all the time. Just often enough to make it a bad approach, obviously enough.

If you ask kiters for assistance I find they usually will at most launches both here and abroad. It is good to ask however, i.e. you want to land so signal by patting your head while they are looking at you. Don't expect them to read your mind as seems to be all too common.

Matanzas has a good crew in my experience.

Skyway Scott 10-09-2006 07:54 PM

The order of the last two posts got mixed up. (?) Mine is first (lol) followed by Biz. He is responding to mine in his second post.

Yes, Dale "saved" a guy on Saturday (more than once) and on Sunday as well.

Matanzas is a great spot for sure. I didn't ride tonight but instead talked with 3 locals who were there Saturday. They were just as frustrated if not more than you, Biz.

When I first read your post I was a little upset because I took it as a knock on the local crew. Now I realize that you were just concerned and that you just want what most of us want: to have a great time, hang out with good folks and protect our sport and launches. That all sounds pretty damn good to me.

Scott

(Edit.. funny... now Rick posted)

JoshTaylor 10-09-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BizGuru
NO NO NO, I ment community as kiters in general not local or non local.

I had my best day kiting ever at the beach there on saturday, do not take it as I had a bad day.

The locals seemed very nice and gave plenty of good advise. Like don't launch here go closer to inlet after a wave ate me when we first got there. The stupid launch I described and the lack of helpfulness where from some non locals.

I just really wanted your thoughts on my actions and find out why this is not more common. I was non local, but helped several people inluding the mentioned relaunch.

Also I did see you guys pick up some downed kiters on the far south side of the inlet. That is great to see. The local community seems to be fantastic. I will be back without a doubt, it was just some general ideals and one style of partner launch I wanted some experienced kiters opinion of.

BTW Scott and Rick, it was your talk of the spot that got me that and I OWE you guys a huge thanks look forward to kiting with you guys.

yeah i agree, everyone theres cool. especielly skyway scott!!! but he needs to get his ass back here! ha

BizGuru 10-09-2006 08:11 PM

Sounds good guys, I have not been in the sport very long and I am very aware of the need to preserve spots and maintain safety. Out of curiosity what types of activities frustrated the local riders? I made sure to stay clear of everyone knowing I would need the room being unexperienced. Last thing I want to do is make the locals restless. 8)

Skyway Scott 10-09-2006 08:47 PM

Funny stuff. I don't think you were a problem. What I was saying is that you weren't the only one frustrated with what you saw that day. I heard a story of a straight downwind launch and other things tonight from the guys.

I wasn't there, so I don't know the who's. It doesn't even matter.
The fact is that on a daily basis more people that truly care about the sport and our spots (like yourself) enter the sport than people who jeopardize either/both and the majority will rule.

See you here soon, I hope (on a Sunday or windy weekday) :wink:

Hey, all this serious talk requires a breather!! Take a healthy break.

http://www.extremekiteskiteboarding....opic.php?t=391

BizGuru 10-09-2006 09:22 PM

Ahhhh, thank you

I might be up there again this weekend pending wind, Looks like manataza may be the best place in the state, Anyone know a good campsite in the area. Any good flat spots bbetween west palm and st augustine that might be worth it?