FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Northwest Florida (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who's Riding Where This Weekend??? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=34)

administrator 07-28-2004 12:50 PM

Who's Riding Where This Weekend???

Well?

administrator 07-28-2004 12:50 PM

Who's Riding Where This Weekend???

Well?

RushMarkRush 08-09-2004 09:58 PM

Alligator Point

Saturdy, Sunday and Monday we had ENE winds between 15-20 in the mornings....cool breeze for a change. Alligator Point was going off..it was all butter on the inside....only three riders on the water all weekend. Two new riders showed up....this IS NOT a beginners launch spot. The launch is very tight here, as it is a small public access.

I heard that northern Florida had some great conditions over the weekend. A repost from Eddie at St. Augustine appears at:

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=...asc&highlight=

Luck dogs, we had RAIN, well there is/was a drought, oh well. Glad you folks got a good session in.

RushMarkRush 08-09-2004 09:58 PM

Alligator Point

Saturdy, Sunday and Monday we had ENE winds between 15-20 in the mornings....cool breeze for a change. Alligator Point was going off..it was all butter on the inside....only three riders on the water all weekend. Two new riders showed up....this IS NOT a beginners launch spot. The launch is very tight here, as it is a small public access.

I heard that northern Florida had some great conditions over the weekend. A repost from Eddie at St. Augustine appears at:

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=...asc&highlight=

Luck dogs, we had RAIN, well there is/was a drought, oh well. Glad you folks got a good session in.

RushMarkRush 08-10-2004 08:12 PM

Wind

We had rain and lightning this morning along with South East winds around 15. The Gulf was going off and Beach Drive in Town was looking good. The President came to town in the afternoon and clustered the traffic........I am under the impression we need a kiteboarding President next go around.
Bonnie is on the move towards us......looks like wind for days with Charley close behind...might get to break out the 10 meter kites for a change. With gusty conditions on the way....everyone use caution....don't launch if you have any doubts.
Rush

RushMarkRush 08-10-2004 08:12 PM

Wind

We had rain and lightning this morning along with South East winds around 15. The Gulf was going off and Beach Drive in Town was looking good. The President came to town in the afternoon and clustered the traffic........I am under the impression we need a kiteboarding President next go around.
Bonnie is on the move towards us......looks like wind for days with Charley close behind...might get to break out the 10 meter kites for a change. With gusty conditions on the way....everyone use caution....don't launch if you have any doubts.
Rush

RushMarkRush 08-11-2004 05:19 PM

Bonnie & Charley

We thought it might start nuking today.....WRONG... we had some Southerly winds before noon mixed with rain...picked up to 18, rained and then dropped off to near nothing. The waves are only about 3 feet in the Gulf...tonight's forecast is South East 25-35 with gusts to 50 through tomorrow noon, then going west at 25-35. Friday and Saturday is North West 15-20. It's going to be a gusty few days here......

RushMarkRush 08-11-2004 05:19 PM

Bonnie & Charley

We thought it might start nuking today.....WRONG... we had some Southerly winds before noon mixed with rain...picked up to 18, rained and then dropped off to near nothing. The waves are only about 3 feet in the Gulf...tonight's forecast is South East 25-35 with gusts to 50 through tomorrow noon, then going west at 25-35. Friday and Saturday is North West 15-20. It's going to be a gusty few days here......

RushMarkRush 08-14-2004 09:38 PM

Wind No wind

While Charley smashes it way through Southern FLorida's gulf coast and on through Daytona, Panama City Beach had sunny, clear skys and some cooler temperatures. Northeast winds around 10-12 knots....we took the wave runner over to Shell Island and watched the wind fizzle as it heated up on Friday. Saturday had the same offshore winds...Carl Gray Park is the regular launch for Northerly winds, so we launched there...same old fizzle as the temperature heated up. I rode the 19.5 CONTRA on Friday and the Naish V4 on Saturday. The CONTRA has a light feeling and turns on a dime and seems to have a big wind range. The V4 has lower end grunt and pull but turns slower and has a smaller range. I weigh 205 so to be moving upwind in 10-12 is a good feeling. The V4 in ultra light wind is still my kite of choice. Once it picks up over 12 the CONTRA takes over.

RushMarkRush 08-14-2004 09:38 PM

Wind No wind

While Charley smashes it way through Southern FLorida's gulf coast and on through Daytona, Panama City Beach had sunny, clear skys and some cooler temperatures. Northeast winds around 10-12 knots....we took the wave runner over to Shell Island and watched the wind fizzle as it heated up on Friday. Saturday had the same offshore winds...Carl Gray Park is the regular launch for Northerly winds, so we launched there...same old fizzle as the temperature heated up. I rode the 19.5 CONTRA on Friday and the Naish V4 on Saturday. The CONTRA has a light feeling and turns on a dime and seems to have a big wind range. The V4 has lower end grunt and pull but turns slower and has a smaller range. I weigh 205 so to be moving upwind in 10-12 is a good feeling. The V4 in ultra light wind is still my kite of choice. Once it picks up over 12 the CONTRA takes over.

RushMarkRush 08-17-2004 09:24 PM

Tuning the CONTRA

Who has some tips for tuning the CONTRA fordifferent conditions?

RushMarkRush 08-17-2004 09:24 PM

Tuning the CONTRA

Who has some tips for tuning the CONTRA fordifferent conditions?

jeremiah 09-13-2004 10:20 AM

Who's riding today

Thinking about Ft. Desoto, conditions should be right today. Anyone thinking the same. See ya'll there!

jeremiah 09-13-2004 10:20 AM

Who's riding today

Thinking about Ft. Desoto, conditions should be right today. Anyone thinking the same. See ya'll there!

RushMarkRush 09-13-2004 10:25 AM

Wind

It is blowing 14 ENE today in Panama CIty Beach...waves are on the increase and rain, which is not associated with Ivan. It is looking like Ivan might go in to the west of us.....if we are lucky.....then again the guys in Pensacola won't be....someone is going to get it in the next few days...

RushMarkRush 09-13-2004 10:25 AM

Wind

It is blowing 14 ENE today in Panama CIty Beach...waves are on the increase and rain, which is not associated with Ivan. It is looking like Ivan might go in to the west of us.....if we are lucky.....then again the guys in Pensacola won't be....someone is going to get it in the next few days...

ricki 09-13-2004 02:11 PM

Re: Wind

Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMarkRush

Good luck Rush and to everyone in that part of the USA. This has been a rough hurricane season and it isn't over yet. Take good care up that way and take all the precautions that you can. Good luck!

Rick

ricki 09-13-2004 02:11 PM

Re: Wind

Quote:

Originally Posted by RushMarkRush

Good luck Rush and to everyone in that part of the USA. This has been a rough hurricane season and it isn't over yet. Take good care up that way and take all the precautions that you can. Good luck!

Rick

RushMarkRush 09-13-2004 03:07 PM

Ivan

Believe it or not, there is not a lot of wind today...been from 8 to 17 NE all day...sun then rain.....but it is coming! Evacuation should start soon...it will be total chaos as usual. Everyone be safe.....I will file reports throughout the big blast...as long as there is power.

RushMarkRush 09-13-2004 03:07 PM

Ivan

Believe it or not, there is not a lot of wind today...been from 8 to 17 NE all day...sun then rain.....but it is coming! Evacuation should start soon...it will be total chaos as usual. Everyone be safe.....I will file reports throughout the big blast...as long as there is power.

RushMarkRush 11-01-2004 07:51 PM

First cold front

After a couple of windless weeks in Panama City Beach, a cold front is on the way and has started pulling wind off the Gulf. Today was ESE 14-18 with four foot waves. Great downwind day here. There is wind for the next four days here with onshore conditions and going offshore on Thursday and Friday.
I hear that Slingshot has a new lightwind kite in the works that will blow everything else away,,,,show me! Most kite companies build the big beast last and put out the smaller kites first ...too bad...there is a huge market for light air kites in NW Florida....someone is paying attention...looks like it is Slingshot that wants our money.
This weekend we will finally drop into the 70's...with daylight saving's time
(what a joke) it gets dark here at five p.m. so ride time is limited unless there is a full moon.
www.rushkiteboarding.com

RushMarkRush 11-01-2004 07:51 PM

First cold front

After a couple of windless weeks in Panama City Beach, a cold front is on the way and has started pulling wind off the Gulf. Today was ESE 14-18 with four foot waves. Great downwind day here. There is wind for the next four days here with onshore conditions and going offshore on Thursday and Friday.
I hear that Slingshot has a new lightwind kite in the works that will blow everything else away,,,,show me! Most kite companies build the big beast last and put out the smaller kites first ...too bad...there is a huge market for light air kites in NW Florida....someone is paying attention...looks like it is Slingshot that wants our money.
This weekend we will finally drop into the 70's...with daylight saving's time
(what a joke) it gets dark here at five p.m. so ride time is limited unless there is a full moon.
www.rushkiteboarding.com

Dix 12-12-2004 09:06 PM

The right kite for NW FL?

I feel as if I have my own private kitesurfing spot. I'm usually the only one out cruizing, or surfing waves. It's great! No crowds or showboaters to get in the way.

My secret? Flysurfer foils. No I'm not a dealer, wish I was!

Dix 12-12-2004 09:06 PM

I feel as if I have my own private kitesurfing spot. I'm usually the only one out cruizing, or surfing waves. It's great! No crowds or showboaters to get in the way.

ricki 12-12-2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dix

Hey Dix,

I went through about 8 foils, years ago. The only ones that I ultimately liked were the land versions with open intakes without valves. You couldn't drop them for more than a second or two on the water but they were fun to fly for kitesurfing. The early water foils were a bit funky, to say the least!

I imagine that they have the valving down very well these days. What other performance attributes do you like with todays foils?

ricki 12-12-2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dix

Hey Dix,

I went through about 8 foils, years ago. The only ones that I ultimately liked were the land versions with open intakes without valves. You couldn't drop them for more than a second or two on the water but they were fun to fly for kitesurfing. The early water foils were a bit funky, to say the least!

I imagine that they have the valving down very well these days. What other performance attributes do you like with todays foils?

RushMarkRush 12-12-2004 10:17 PM

foils

It seems the foils and blimps are like IBM's and MAC's.....whatever you start on you stay on. A rider's weight and if they have a big board for light air determines if they are on the water in light air or not also.
I would like to at least try a giant foil sometime, to at least be able to make an honest comparison.
As far as crowds and showboaters go, Panama City beach has no such problems, as there are only a handful of kiteboarders here and there are so many launches. Most of us have a big kite in our quiver, so we are out in 10 knots crusiing as well on our inflatable kites. 2005 has a bunch of large kites in store for us.....

RushMarkRush 12-12-2004 10:17 PM

foils

It seems the foils and blimps are like IBM's and MAC's.....whatever you start on you stay on. A rider's weight and if they have a big board for light air determines if they are on the water in light air or not also.
I would like to at least try a giant foil sometime, to at least be able to make an honest comparison.
As far as crowds and showboaters go, Panama City beach has no such problems, as there are only a handful of kiteboarders here and there are so many launches. Most of us have a big kite in our quiver, so we are out in 10 knots crusiing as well on our inflatable kites. 2005 has a bunch of large kites in store for us.....

Dix 12-13-2004 12:45 AM

Foils have taken a leap in the last 3 years.

The 1999 Concept Air New Wave 9.0, valves were already good, and reverse relaunching even in waves was less than 5 seconds, but the lack of power control was very punishing. Basically a 2 liner with a third line for brake adjusting and reverse launch.
Needed 15mph to stay upwind on a BIG directional board. 20mph on a 183 TT

2003 FS 15.5m Psycho 1 turns as fast as the New Wave 9.0 and keeps a 220lb rider going on a 143 in 10mph, then ranges up past 20mph with all that 4:1 depower on tap when you pull the bar. Very relaxed upwind cruising with minimum edging effort, ideal for old people like me.
Turning speed is the same as the old Naish AR 15.5, but LOTS more power and range. Different flying style to get used to. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Interesting how some LEIs are going flatter with more projected area, and FS foils are getting more curved with less projected area, for example the 2004 FS Voodoo/Spirit 14m power and handling feels is very similar to a 2004 14m LEI. Both designs moving in the same direction?

Seen a Contra 19.5 doing really well in our lite conditions. I'm sure the big 2005 LEIs will be excellent.

I'd really like to check out Panama City, I promise to stay way upwind out of everyone's way. :)

Dix 12-13-2004 12:45 AM

Foils have taken a leap in the last 3 years.

The 1999 Concept Air New Wave 9.0, valves were already good, and reverse relaunching even in waves was less than 5 seconds, but the lack of power control was very punishing. Basically a 2 liner with a third line for brake adjusting and reverse launch.
Needed 15mph to stay upwind on a BIG directional board. 20mph on a 183 TT

2003 FS 15.5m Psycho 1 turns as fast as the New Wave 9.0 and keeps a 220lb rider going on a 143 in 10mph, then ranges up past 20mph with all that 4:1 depower on tap when you pull the bar. Very relaxed upwind cruising with minimum edging effort, ideal for old people like me.
Turning speed is the same as the old Naish AR 15.5, but LOTS more power and range. Different flying style to get used to. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Interesting how some LEIs are going flatter with more projected area, and FS foils are getting more curved with less projected area, for example the 2004 FS Voodoo/Spirit 14m power and handling feels is very similar to a 2004 14m LEI. Both designs moving in the same direction?

Seen a Contra 19.5 doing really well in our lite conditions. I'm sure the big 2005 LEIs will be excellent.

I'd really like to check out Panama City, I promise to stay way upwind out of everyone's way. :)

Dix 12-23-2004 06:52 AM

LeeSide Destin NW 15-20 !! Hwy 98 looks hungry. Watch those gusts!!!!!

Dix 12-23-2004 06:52 AM

LeeSide Destin NW 15-20 !! Hwy 98 looks hungry. Watch those gusts!!!!!

Dix 12-24-2004 08:36 AM

got off work early Thursday, and was on the bay by 1o'clock. Outside temp 40F,
winds N 15-20. (actually coming out of about 345' so almost a direct N, much less turbulence and more comfortable riding than the NW crap we've been getting.)

My best upwind track speeds were 15mph at 70' into wind, riding a 135 TT and flying a 14m foil.
Was making consitant 20mph tracks on a 90' broad reach with a top speed of 24mph, covering a total of about 16 miles, and maintaining 200m-300m from the shore (and Hwy 98 :) )

The wind strength varied quite a bit but was not turbulent so I could deal with that. Just had to quickly take advantage of the power to get jumps.
A few times, just as I sent the kite the wind backed off, resulting in not enough power to lift off the water. When I got the timing right, got some nice little floaty 2-3 second jumps.

So, where was everyone? Had the whole place to myself! :lol:

Have a Great Christmas,
Dix

Dix 12-24-2004 08:36 AM

got off work early Thursday, and was on the bay by 1o'clock. Outside temp 40F,
winds N 15-20. (actually coming out of about 345' so almost a direct N, much less turbulence and more comfortable riding than the NW crap we've been getting.)

My best upwind track speeds were 15mph at 70' into wind, riding a 135 TT and flying a 14m foil.
Was making consitant 20mph tracks on a 90' broad reach with a top speed of 24mph, covering a total of about 16 miles, and maintaining 200m-300m from the shore (and Hwy 98 :) )

The wind strength varied quite a bit but was not turbulent so I could deal with that. Just had to quickly take advantage of the power to get jumps.
A few times, just as I sent the kite the wind backed off, resulting in not enough power to lift off the water. When I got the timing right, got some nice little floaty 2-3 second jumps.

So, where was everyone? Had the whole place to myself! :lol:

Have a Great Christmas,
Dix

RushMarkRush 12-24-2004 09:11 AM

wind this week

I have been in the Keys for a month now and will be here through Februsary sometime.....this place blows like there is a giant wind machine on the horizon most of the time....lots of great launch sites on the ocean side....you can take a boat out to the sandbar at Holiday Isle and launch when it is offshore....I have found a couple of other launches here when it is NW and N but they are a bit more treacherous to launch from, but once you are out on the water, they are great. It is warm and windy here...I am not missing the 40 degree weather in Panama City Beach this time of year.....see you in the spring.
Rush

RushMarkRush 12-24-2004 09:11 AM

wind this week

I have been in the Keys for a month now and will be here through Februsary sometime.....this place blows like there is a giant wind machine on the horizon most of the time....lots of great launch sites on the ocean side....you can take a boat out to the sandbar at Holiday Isle and launch when it is offshore....I have found a couple of other launches here when it is NW and N but they are a bit more treacherous to launch from, but once you are out on the water, they are great. It is warm and windy here...I am not missing the 40 degree weather in Panama City Beach this time of year.....see you in the spring.
Rush

Dix 12-24-2004 09:22 AM

DUDE! I'm soo jealous!

You're not missing 40 degree weather, You're missing 21F freezing rain today!!

Thanks for the info on the Keys, awesome,

have a great one!

Dix 12-24-2004 09:22 AM

DUDE! I'm soo jealous!

You're not missing 40 degree weather, You're missing 21F freezing rain today!!

Thanks for the info on the Keys, awesome,

have a great one!

RushMarkRush 04-02-2005 06:58 PM

wind in Mexico Beach

We checked out the Gulf this morning and it was too off shore.....four of us loaded up and drove an hour east to Mexico Beach....the beach sticks out over there and catches the NW side on shore....small waves and blowing 18-25 with some gusts to 30.....10 and 12 meter kites and some big air. The beaches down in Mexico beach are wide open and waiting for kiters. A classic day, for sure.

RushMarkRush 04-02-2005 06:58 PM

wind in Mexico Beach

We checked out the Gulf this morning and it was too off shore.....four of us loaded up and drove an hour east to Mexico Beach....the beach sticks out over there and catches the NW side on shore....small waves and blowing 18-25 with some gusts to 30.....10 and 12 meter kites and some big air. The beaches down in Mexico beach are wide open and waiting for kiters. A classic day, for sure.