FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   ** KITER BUZZ ** (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Any way to unwind bar by ourself out on a sandbar? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2312)

AEsco48 10-16-2006 01:29 AM

Any way to unwind bar by ourself out on a sandbar?

so you rig....wrap up the lines up...then have to walk up wind and then out to a sand bar (waist deep water)...you are alone...once on the sand bar is there any way to unwind the bar if you are alone...and then just do a water relaunch....

BigR 10-16-2006 05:22 AM

put the lines in a bucket instead of winding them up, then just pull them out when ready to launch

ricki 10-16-2006 08:42 AM

Re: Any way to unwind bar by ourself out on a sandbar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEsco48
so you rig....wrap up the lines up...then have to walk up wind and then out to a sand bar (waist deep water)...you are alone...once on the sand bar is there any way to unwind the bar if you are alone...and then just do a water relaunch....

The approach could differ with C kites vs. flat kites. In either case most methods that come to mind dictate calm water and carry a higher level of risk. I would say not to do it this way if you have any other choice at all.

One way that comes to mind involves taking out the kite fully inflated with lines attached, attaching the kite to an holdfast, buoy secured to an anchor, etc.. Then unwinding the lines and attaching your chicken loop to another anchor. Then walking back, releasing the kite from its anchor and dropping a C kite leading edge down and hope it doesn't drag your anchor attached to the chicken loop or in the case of a flat kite lay it up on one wing tip ready to launch.

Complicated and best avoided.

AEsco48 10-16-2006 11:06 AM

yea...its risky...if the kite powers up while you are untwisting the lines from the bar...you have no control....

kabo123 10-16-2006 11:44 AM

setting up

get a small dansforth anchor, atach a piece of line with a snap clip to it and a float.

you well be able to set the anchor, clip off the kite, take care of lines what ever.

then with the float come back and get it when your done.
________
E Cigarette

ricki 10-16-2006 02:22 PM

There are quite a few other variants for drifting launching that have been around for a while, securing a C kite with yarn, etc.. Still, I would avoid them particularly if new to kiting. It is easy to tangle a finger and bye bye finger. There have been a number of digits gone missing while kiting.

LarryCouch 10-17-2006 09:19 AM

Check out the Turbo Launcher from http://kitelauncher.com
I love mine ... great for boat and drift launching. I also use the Line Manager on my everyday setup. Takes lots of time off your setup by eliminating the need to walk out your lines.
With both of these devices, make sure you become aquainted with them on the beach before you use them in real situations, especially the Turbo Launcher. Set it up and run back with your bar in hand to get used to the feel and to make sure your winding your lines on correctly. After a few tries with it, you'll get the hang. With the line manager, just make sure your lines are good before flying - that should be common practice anyway. I sell these in the shop and can offer any advice if you're interested.
Good luck.

kiwiar2000 10-17-2006 11:42 AM

larry couch,
Im just curious, how can I create my OWN Turbo Launcher??/and/or Line Manager??

AEsco48 10-18-2006 07:09 AM

only thing with the turbo launcher is what do i do with the turbo launcher once i have the kite in the air and i am 100 yards from shore...

C. Moore 10-18-2006 08:22 AM

Maybe leash it tothe back of your harness. Just a thought.