FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Setting up kite leash on liquid force control bar (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2379)

TampaBay Noob 10-24-2006 04:53 PM

Setting up kite leash on liquid force control bar

Hey guys I'm having a bit of a problem setting up the kite leash on my control bar. I know how to hook up all the lines and everything...and understand how the trim strap and safety system works, but can't figure out how to attach the kite leash. On one end of the kite leash is a loop and on the other end of the kite leash is just a line coming out. I looked up online as much as I could about this control bar and it seems like the leash is supposed to connect to the chicken loop. The chicken loop has a velcro strap for completely detaching your loop from the kite. I can't figure out how to attach the kite leash. Maybe a larks head onto the chicken loop but what do I do with the line just coming out of the other side. I don't want to make some cheap knot and use a stopper to attach to the rear line. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I confused the hell out of you..lol fuc$in noobs.....

bryanleighty 10-25-2006 08:01 AM

not sure man.. typically a leash has a connector or clasp at each end. i had an old BEST leash that had a loop at one end and that connected to the ring on one of hte center lines.. the other end was a wrist strap tho..

bryanleighty 10-25-2006 08:02 AM

advice::

spend the 30$ and get yourself a good leash. one with a QR built in. dont skimp on something like this.

TampaBay Noob 10-25-2006 10:19 AM

think I could find one up at watersports west??

bryanleighty 10-25-2006 10:51 AM

call them..

if they dont have one with a QR .. got to oceanextreme.com and order one.. it will be at your door tomorrow..

toby wilson 10-25-2006 12:58 PM

GREAT advice Bryan!!! :D

tomstock 10-25-2006 01:10 PM

Re: Setting up kite leash on liquid force control bar

Quote:

Originally Posted by TampaBay Noob
Hey guys I'm having a bit of a problem setting up the kite leash on my control bar. I know how to hook up all the lines and everything...and understand how the trim strap and safety system works, but can't figure out how to attach the kite leash. On one end of the kite leash is a loop and on the other end of the kite leash is just a line coming out. I looked up online as much as I could about this control bar and it seems like the leash is supposed to connect to the chicken loop. The chicken loop has a velcro strap for completely detaching your loop from the kite. I can't figure out how to attach the kite leash. Maybe a larks head onto the chicken loop but what do I do with the line just coming out of the other side. I don't want to make some cheap knot and use a stopper to attach to the rear line. Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I confused the hell out of you..lol fuc$in noobs.....

You never mentioned which model bar or kite.

Is it this one?
http://www.kitesurfari.com/kite-liqu...trum2-bar.html

TampaBay Noob 10-25-2006 01:56 PM

Sorry about that.....Yeah tom it's the spectrum II. Same one in the picture. I understand how the kite leash attaches to the chicken loop....but I can't see from the picture how to go about attaching it to the rear line. I just came back from watersports west..they're all out of clip leashes. Funny thing is...john called up liquid force and spoke to one of the guys over there...and he said to just connect the leash from the CL to your harness.....Go Figure. My liquid force bar has a control line (left side) with a ring attached to the end of it if that helps at all.

tomstock 10-25-2006 03:27 PM

So noone at WW knew how to hook up the leash? Probably because they only sell one or two brands.

Ok, so the leash connects to the rear line. One end goes to the chicken loop and the other connects to a rear line which SHOULD be coming through a ring on the leader lines from the bar. That line connects to a second ring, which is where the leash attaches.

----line---O---0=====leash====()

The line passed through a ring on the bar, and then is connected to another ring. That ring acts as a stopper to keep the line from slipping through the 1st ring. The leash attaches to that ring.

In this scenario the chicken loop is the leash... when you pull the quick release the chicken loop stays on the hook, with leash attached to it.

Now, here's the problem. If you unhook, your leash is disconnected from you.

I strongly advise against using that setup, it's a bad design.

Get a leash with two clips and attach one to the line ring (which is going through another ring), and the other end to your harness.

I also recommend moving the ring which the line goes through to a front line... so if you accidentally pull on the leash, the kite does not turn or loop on you...

An even better and safer setup is to add a 5th line and use that as the safety instead.

TampaBay Noob 10-25-2006 03:36 PM

I took some pictures and I'm trying to figure out how to post them up so you guys can clearly see what I'm attempting to explain.

Tom...I understand what you're saying. If that's the case I have to get another steel ring for the rear line and a clip leash. There's only one ring now...and it's at the end of the leader. I have to rig up some new flexifoil lines and don't have a second ring.