FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Wednesday - Cold and Gale Force (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5416)

Skyway Scott 01-01-2008 04:30 PM

Wednesday - Cold and Gale Force

Is anyone interested?
I am thinking about TI. It has a HUGE beach for launching (more) safely.
The last time it blew 35 to 40 I rode there and it was good.
Nice waves and not too gusty.
Obviously every day on the water is different, but I am thinking TI might be the place.

Post up here if you are interested. You will need a 5 or 7m probably, unless you weigh more than 220. :)

Skyway Scott 01-01-2008 05:42 PM

I just looked at the forecasts.
Apparently it won't be TOO windy. That's good.
Solid 25, gusts to 30, it sounds like.

I will be at TI by 10 am if anyone wants to show.

Rodan'sWings 01-01-2008 06:27 PM

Nope, ill be doing a down winder from NL to SL if it stays N wind. finaly going to test my OR PYRO drysuit.

Have fun and Smack some lips (h2o) Scott.

Skyway Scott 01-01-2008 07:00 PM

Are the waves good there?
The tide is incoming at some point, does that matter?
Pm. :)

JK Kite 01-01-2008 07:15 PM

I'm definitely game for riding tomorrow morn to early afternoon.
If you are going to ride Treasure Island, where will you guys launch?

Skyway Scott 01-01-2008 07:17 PM

Philthy,

You decide. Downwinder or just stay at TI. I am okay either way.
Rob Hassle didn't return your call? I couldn't return his, cuz he didn't leave a number.

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 01-01-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 27087)
Philthy,

You decide. Downwinder or just stay at TI. I am okay either way.

hey scott could we meet up tomorrow so i can demo your flexifoil? -Thanks, Ross

Skyway Scott 01-01-2008 07:31 PM

Yep. It sounds like Phil is leaning toward TI.
He will post his choice of downwinder or staying put, soon, I hope.

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 01-01-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 27090)
Yep. It sounds like Phil is leaning toward TI.
He will post his choice of downwinder or staying put, soon, I hope.

cool, what time are you guys thinking of?

BigR 01-01-2008 07:37 PM

early is best with me , no downwinder please

Rodan'sWings 01-01-2008 07:54 PM

NL likes a NW w/ low and incoming so its not lookin good down south, ill know fer sure 8 am wednesday:) call me

Skyway Scott 01-01-2008 08:15 PM

Okay. Danny and a couple others are tied into to this too, now.
Because of that (which is good) let's just meet at the Treasure Island public parking beach.
It's across the street from a new building they are putting up (was TI fun center for 30 years... gone now cuz of Big bucks).
I will be there by 10 and probably stay a few hours, depending on how freezing it is.

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 01-01-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 27095)
Okay. Danny and a couple others are tied into to this too, now.
Because of that (which is good) let's just meet at the Treasure Island public parking beach.
It's across the street from a new building they are putting up (was TI fun center for 30 years... gone now cuz of Big bucks).
I will be there by 10 and probably stay a few hours, depending on how freezing it is.

I cant wait, see you guys at 10.

BigR 01-01-2008 08:38 PM

earlier the better, brrrrrrrrrrrr

inferno 01-01-2008 08:41 PM

ill be doing a DP, i cant wait till 10...

depending on the wind direction, either SW if it has some east in it, or IRB if it is more North/NNW...
i dont think TI will work unless it is NW.....

ill try to post in the morning
-danny

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 01-01-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR (Post 27097)
earlier the better, brrrrrrrrrrrr

how early is early?

JK Kite 01-01-2008 08:51 PM

I'm game for whenever and wherever.
I suppose I'll be at Treasure Island at 10:00 unless you guys post otherwise.
Probably won't be using the 12 bow, if anyone needs it tomorrow.
The water is going to feel sooooo warm.

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 01-01-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK Kite (Post 27100)
I'm game for whenever and wherever.
I suppose I'll be at Treasure Island at 10:00 unless you guys post otherwise.
Probably won't be using the 12 bow, if anyone needs it tomorrow.
The water is going to feel sooooo warm.

i might want to demo it cuz i only have a 16 and when scott leaves i might want to try some others

Skyway Scott 01-01-2008 09:01 PM

Demo as much as humanly possible.
I will be there at 10. :)

JK Kite 01-01-2008 09:07 PM

Yes, with a 16, that's probably a good idea.
Feel free.
I plan to ride from morning until early-to-mid afternoon.

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 01-01-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK Kite (Post 27103)
Yes, with a 16, that's probably a good idea.
Feel free.
I plan to ride from morning until early-to-mid afternoon.

sweet ill see you guys there at 10, ill look for the guy with the 12m bow, ill be the big kid with the slingshot manta lol. thanks a lot

Skyway Scott 01-01-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) (Post 27096)
I cant wait, see you guys at 10.

Because I know that statement isn't figurative, but literal.... I would switch with you in a heartbeat, Ross.
New to the sport, it's exciting, you are young....you have it made!

See you tomorrow.

JK Kite 01-01-2008 09:22 PM

Actually, a gal.
But you're right about the 12 bow.

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 01-01-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK Kite (Post 27106)
Actually, a gal.
But you're right about the 12 bow.

lol sorry

Skurban Surf 01-01-2008 09:41 PM

Oh baby I'm excited, hopefully I'll get to pop the cherry on my new 10m vegas tomorrow. Woop Woop!

I'm in Orlando, and I don't mind making the drive to treasure island. I'm pretty sure thats what I'm going to do. However I'm curious, are chances it may be just as good out at the 520 slick? I'd actually rather get a flat water sesh as apposed to riding waves.

Also if anyone wants to ride share from the Orlando area hit this Seattle boy up. Cheers and see you all at the beach tomorrow.

253-334-1202

-Tyson-

JK Kite 01-01-2008 09:55 PM

Does anyone know if the Treasure Island Public Parking Beach is south or north of Treasure Island Causeway?
(I assume it is on Gulf Blvd.)

The lots I see north of TI Causeway include Municipal Beach lot (112th Ave.) and Sunset Vista lot (120th Ave.).

Lots south of TI Causeway include Pinellas Cty lot (104th Ave.) and Sandpiper lot (100th Ave.).

Thx.

bigairal 01-01-2008 10:00 PM

kiting tomorrow

i am most likely up for something at ten. scott and anyone else give me a call 727 420 0598 allen

toby wilson 01-02-2008 01:27 AM

Does anyone think it will slow down any tomorrow? My 12M is down and all I have to ride is a 16M Thruster. So looks like tomorrow is out for me unless the wind dies down a bit... :(

JK Kite 01-02-2008 06:59 AM

Sounds like there will be at least two 12's out there that you and RossBond(Swtchblde) can share.

Skyway Scott 01-02-2008 07:20 AM

It's nuking dudes. At least 30. Not sure about the 12m kites at this point.

I just talked with Danny. He is at NB. He decided not to ride (alone) for safety reasons.... good call.

He said the trees were screaming for mercy and the sand was getting blown like (....) He also said he wasn't sure about TI with N winds.
Right now it is NNW. Google maps looks okay for that.

BigAirAl just called. He just got off a ship and had a bird's eye view.
He is saying NNE at the SW and NNW or N for the beaches.

Does anyone know for certain if TI isn't so hot on due N?

I thought it was. We will ride today, I just am trying to figure out the best spot and am factoring in new rider's abilities and safety concerns.

Inputs appreciated. Let's try to keep it close to TI (within 20 minute drive) so that Philthy and some others from Sorrysota don't drive for 2 hours.

Thanks. Have at it, going to Skyway Jack's to eat with Al.

toby wilson 01-02-2008 07:25 AM

I'm out. I've had a few loaner kite offers, thanks for that but I am not comfortable using someone else's gear, especially in this kind of wind...have fun and be safe if you go out guys and gals!!!

Tom Stock 01-02-2008 07:37 AM

I can do a short session if it's early... need to be back a little after lunch time to do some work around the house.

Skurban Surf 01-02-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 27117)
It's nuking dudes. At least 30. Not sure about the 12m kites at this point.

I just talked with Danny. He is at NB. He decided not to ride (alone) for safety reasons.... good call.

He said the trees were screaming for mercy and the sand was getting blown like (....) He also said he wasn't sure about TI with N winds.
Right now it is NNW. Google maps looks okay for that.

BigAirAl just called. He just got off a ship and had a bird's eye view.
He is saying NNE at the SW and NNW or N for the beaches.

Does anyone know for certain if TI isn't so hot on due N?

I thought it was. We will ride today, I just am trying to figure out the best spot and am factoring in new rider's abilities and safety concerns.

Inputs appreciated. Let's try to keep it close to TI (within 20 minute drive) so that Philthy and some others from Sorrysota don't drive for 2 hours.

Thanks. Have at it, going to Skyway Jack's to eat with Al.

so if not treasure island, wheres the place to be?

Tom Stock 01-02-2008 08:01 AM

Well, it's due north all day... T.I. is going to be side off shore and ultra gusty which means if you go down and get slammed in a 40mph gust and hurt you are going out to sea.

It's a tough call today... big wind, big shop and seriously strong currents. Backside is not too bad on a North, but you could still go down in the flats and get dragged into the channel and out to sea also (or at best, to the rocks and sharks 5 miles away). The launch is pretty dangerous there (surrounded by trees) so I am not going to recommend it on a day like today.

There is Indian Rocks where the beach faces slightly North but the current and chop is going to be seriously ripping and eventually you will end up down wind with side off conditions.

If you do a down winder along the beaches just hope to god to don't get into a situation where you can't relaunch because if you do you're screwed! Swim to your kite and try to use it as a sail to get back to shore.

Not sure where I am going to go yet...not even sure if I can hold down my 9 if it climbs to 40 today.

Ideas? Careful out there.

Tom Stock 01-02-2008 08:16 AM

I think we (Scott, Al, and me) are going to TI after all... not the best spot but I got a call that there was no water at backside so we are low on options.

May or may not ride when we get there... need to have a look and decide on the spot.

bryanleighty 01-02-2008 08:18 AM

what time you guys meeting at TI?

Skurban Surf 01-02-2008 08:32 AM

k, thanx for the response.

looks like I wont be making the drive from Orlando then. I think I'm going to head to Cocoa, and check to see if anyones riding the 520 slick.

If anyone from the Orlando area wants to hook up out there gimme a call. 253-334-1202

thanks guys,
Tyson

Rodan'sWings 01-02-2008 10:43 AM

NL down in SARAsota is blowin NE (offshore) with tiny waves. Tide or the angle is killing these waves....i never seen the tide so low. Maybe i should have brought my 7m up north to TI......:( ......hoping it switches to NW

Tom Stock 01-02-2008 12:06 PM

TI was not very fun slightly side off,cold, and very very gusty 10-30.

Doable but not too good. Heard a report later that backside is it's own continent... no water anywhere.

Good luck guys... I'm done for the day.

bryanleighty 01-02-2008 02:17 PM

ya.. TI was a bit of a mess.. beach was nukin.. sand flying across the beach.. looked to be EPIC!... rigged 9m and hit the water.. and .. nothing.. was odd.. seemed there was tons more wind closer to ground than up in the air.. was able to keep upwind enough to have fun.. but was work.

after about 1 hour or less we had all put the kites down ..

backside was super low tide when we got there.. i saw while rigging that my 9m front bridle was tearing.. UGH.. so i thought that a 12m would be ok..

bad call. 12m was WAY too big. once out in the flats the wind came up about 5 more knots.. maybe more.. and i was not having fun of any sort.

made it safe to the beach and put up the 7m and had a good time.. rode for about another 30 to 45min and called it a day.. tired from yesterday.. lots of work from the earlier sessions..

no complaints tho..

cbs news interviewed me for a bit.. they kept asking "so how DANGEROUS is this sport???" "can you really be SAFE out there??" crap like that... i probably pissed them off when i said that we go to accuweather to get our forecast info.. ahhahaha...

6pm tonight..