FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Yello (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=1450)

Z-Type 05-08-2006 03:45 PM

Yello

Hi every1
Just wanted to announce that after almost a year of lurking around and checking out kitesurfing I finally bought all the equipment, and last sunday took the class, flew the kite and body dragged.
Just wandering what are good begginer's beaches around.
and what's the minimum wind speed I can kite?
The biggest kite I have is 20 m 04 Rhino, I'm around 220 lbs, and the board is 158cm x 39cm

toby wilson 05-08-2006 03:57 PM

I DELETED MY POST IN HOPES THAT YOU NEED TO COME BACK TO IT FOR REFERENCE. LISTEN TO THE GUYS AND TAKE LESSONS, YOU WILL HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE YOU NEED ONCE YOU HAVE TAKEN THEM.

-TOBY

JoshTaylor 05-08-2006 05:05 PM

Who taught you?

they shuold have taught you this stuff.

and body dragging through the water isn't enough, you need more instruction then that.

check out www.tampabaykiteboarding.com

Z-Type 05-08-2006 08:40 PM

heheheh I appreciate your concern Taylor but I'm not your average couch potato, I am prety good surfing, wakeboarding, wakeskating and I can do some freestyle magic on my stand-up like u never seen before :-)

So I doubt that getting up and jumping will be an issue, besides, many many moons ago I used to fly two line stunt kites and traction kites act exactly the same but with a gas pedal.
Anyway, I understand your concern as I have read about the ban in howard park and the necessity to keep this sport from being banned from any other beaches.

Having said that, watch out for me doing 900's on next windy day
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Big G 05-08-2006 08:40 PM

Welcome....now heres some free advise.....consider taking no less than 3 water lessons. It will be money well spent! A single injury could suspend your kiting experience for several months not to mention the possibiltiy of injuring someone near you.

Also, your new kite will thank you! Its going to be crashing many times...with you connected might I add. Consider additional lessons if this concerns you.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Big G

Optionryder420 05-08-2006 09:47 PM

Many factors in kiting man... should've taken more lessons before buying gear... I wish I would've.

I FINALLY got the right gear for me about a month or two ago... within those two months I started doing kiteloops, frontrolls, backrolls, raleys, deadmans, and a few other tricks...

Before that, I was riding upwind left foot forward and BARELY going upwind right foot forward...

JoshTaylor 05-08-2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-Type
heheheh I appreciate your concern Taylor but I'm not your average couch potato, I am prety good surfing, wakeboarding, wakeskating and I can do some freestyle magic on my stand-up like u never seen before :-)

So I doubt that getting up and jumping will be an issue, besides, many many moons ago I used to fly two line stunt kites and traction kites act exactly the same but with a gas pedal.
Anyway, I understand your concern as I have read about the ban in howard park and the necessity to keep this sport from being banned from any other beaches.

Having said that, watch out for me doing 900's on next windy day
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Yes, that doesn't mean anything though. I too am good at surfing, used to waterski, snowboard, skateboard, and skimboard... i still got hurt because i didn't think i "needed" as much lessons as i did, and i learned my lesson.

trust me.. you may not think you need it but you do.

also, if you come out there and do something stupid and get even close to hurt or put someone in danger, us locals will GO OFF on you and you will probably never want to be seen in the kiteboarding scene agian. Thats how strict our locals are about kooks like you who think they only need one lesson and they can learn the rest themself.

Don't let me scare you off though, everyone out there are awesome people and always willing to help you. don't be afraid to ask for help.

Optionryder420 05-08-2006 10:29 PM

Josh's reply FTW!

Good stuff.

Skyway Scott 05-08-2006 10:48 PM

Well, good luck

toby wilson 05-08-2006 11:20 PM

Josh is one of our best riders in the area and the way he learned was through hanging out with one of the local instructors here. I did not use good judgement in my first post and for that I apologize to the rest of the locals.

Kiteboarding is not like any other sport out there and I agree with Gary that you need at least 3 water lessons. Don't be too proud and get your board shorts all up in a bunch man, take lessons. It takes a bigger man to admit that they might need instruction than it does one that wants to prove how tough he is or how much he knows from other experiences in life.

If you were an airplane pilot, would you just get into a helicopter and get behind the wheel of a helicopter and fly it? Probably not, this is exactly the same, take some lessons and you will see! We have had a lot of issues with new kiters just trying to put kites in the air and learning the hard way by getting injured. Do the right thing and don't be the next one...