FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Saturday Downwinder (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5531)

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 07:53 AM

Saturday Downwinder

This weekend is looking good.

Time for a downwinder, if not in Naples or somewhere else, then here. :)

Maybe one at the beach on Saturday and then one from Gandy mimicking this year's race, Sunday.

Saturday
Southwest winds around 20 knots becoming northwest 20 to 25 knots by afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet in the afternoon. Bay and inland waters choppy. Showers likely.

Sunday
Northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 4 to 7 feet.

BigR 01-17-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Saturday
Southwest winds around 20 knots becoming northwest 20 to 25 knots by afternoon.
Thats what you call a Roundwinder , with showers at the switch time

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 08:25 AM

Yep. That'd be nice. You in?

Donna was working on some stuff yesterday (riding toeside and carving into heelside, and carving out of heelside into toeside) that should increase her comfort and fun in the waves. :p
She was looking pretty great on her new kite (purple, of course).

BigR 01-17-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Yep. That'd be nice. You in?

I dunno, it's a real tricky situation. Does Dunedin work on both SW and NW? I assume so. But I gotta make sure a windsurfer is set up to go and alright in a flattish water area

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 08:45 AM

Oh. I don't know.
We will be doing John's Pass to PaG, most likely.

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 09:22 AM

Can't you convince the windsurfer to ride in the Gulf? :)http://www.scottfears.com/online_sto...ges/turtle.jpg

Kev 01-17-2008 09:22 AM

it's not going to be that strong..... :( it will likely drop more as this weekend gets here......

Saturday
South winds around 15 knots becoming northwest by afternoon. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Showers likely.
Saturday Night
North winds 15 to 20 knots. Bay waves 2 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Chance of showers in the evening.
Sunday
Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Bay waves 2 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy.

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 09:32 AM

Maybe. But I have faith.
Accuweather is saying wind and they are correct most of the time.
http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-...ay=3&hbhhour=8

15 is more than plenty for me, anyway. :)
I won't be a bit surprised if it's solid 30. This is guessing game type stuff.

Danimal8199 01-17-2008 03:15 PM

I'd love to do a roundwinder! thats one helluva day up the coast and back!

I'll probably start at IRB with some folks, head up to clearwater/dunedin and then come back, maybe take a break for some food and a cold beer!

bryanleighty 01-17-2008 04:31 PM

USAirnet is typically quite accurate.. usually on the low-end side of forecast..
its showing super strong winds from SSW-SW on Sunday thru the mid day.. tapering in the afternoon/eve...

Fun fun fun..

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 05:23 PM

It's showing SSW on Sunday? Man, their forecaster needs to get off the crack pipe, as in before he loses ALL his brain cells and dies.

How can most forecasts be saying NE AFTER a NW coldfront and another be saying SSW? That's pretty bad. :confused:

Chad085 01-17-2008 06:08 PM

i want a job as a weather forecaster. What other occupation allows you to be WRONG more than 50% of the time and still get a paycheck???? sounds pretty good to me:rolleyes:

vstone511 01-17-2008 07:27 PM

i guess you could also be become the president hes usually wrong about 50% of the time

BigR 01-17-2008 08:29 PM

looks like South down south or SW all day up north so far on the forecasts, we'll see. after that NW in the evening.

LOL! but my father in law won't windsurf anything too rough, hey, he's pushing 70. fred howard park would'a been good.

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 08:34 PM

He can ride EB until it switches. We can all take turns jumping over him! :p

Kev 01-18-2008 08:45 AM

It's up again!! fingers crossed. :)

Saturday
South winds around 20 knots becoming west in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms.
Saturday Night
Northwest winds 20 to 25 knots becoming north after midnight. Seas 4 to 6 feet near the coast and 6 to 8 feet from 20 to 60 nm offshore. Bay and inland waters choppy. Showers likely in the evening...then slight chance of showers after midnight.
Sunday
Northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet near the coast and 6 to 8 feet from 20 to 60 nm offshore. Bay and inland waters choppy.
Sunday Night
Northeast winds around 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy.
Monday
East winds around 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Slight chance of showers.
Tuesday
Southeast winds 15 to 20 knots decreasing to around 10 knots in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 09:12 AM

Gotta have faith, Kev.

These guys at Imitesurf use a stupid computer model, I believe. No real person even looks at the output. And the guys at USAirHeads are known crack abusers. You wouldn't take financial advice from a computer model or a dude strung out, would you?

Just having fun :) ... but those sites do suck, imo. SSW after a coldfront?
Yeah, right.

Accuweather is usually right, and they have it blowing 3 days, SOLID, no worries. :)

Tomorrow looks like S to SSW to SW all day. That's cool. EB, I guess.

BigR 01-18-2008 09:16 AM

hopefully there'll be waves on the outside @ Dunedin.

I know it rocks on W or NW...

can anybody confirm waves in dunedin on a S, SSW or SW direction?

bryanleighty 01-18-2008 09:17 AM

i meant Saturday..
sorry. :)

ugh.. sickness coming on.. new kites will be in my mitts in a couple hours and i prob wont get to ride this weekend.. (or prob SHOULD NOT ride but will anyway..)

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 09:19 AM

Oh... well. Maybe they aren't on crack then. :mrgreen:
(I was just joking around, anyway).

Whitey 01-18-2008 10:12 PM

We get a very nice play groung of waves just south of Hurricane Pass off the north end of Calidisi Island on a S, SSW, & W and glass on the inside of the sand bar just east of the waves.
Will be there all day tomorrow. If the forcast is even close tomorrow should be stellar. Hope to see you.

BigR 01-19-2008 04:18 AM

Thanks Whitey!

thats what I was hoping for, see you there!

:D

inferno 01-19-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey (Post 27993)
We get a very nice play groung of waves just south of Hurricane Pass off the north end of Calidisi Island on a S, SSW, & W and glass on the inside of the sand bar just east of the waves.
Will be there all day tomorrow. If the forcast is even close tomorrow should be stellar. Hope to see you.

do you plan on launching from honeymoon of the causeway?

BigR 01-19-2008 06:55 AM

I have no choice, from the causeway then upwind out the pass

should be windy by after 10am?

Steve-O 01-19-2008 07:09 AM

What is with the north wind at Clearwater and building? Seems all forecasting is f'd up at this point.

BigR 01-19-2008 07:13 AM

actually we just found a 2nd car for the polesmurfers ( they'll go fred howard ), so we'll launch from honeymoon, Danny, you in?

Whitey 01-19-2008 07:16 AM

yep if you look at the current forcast for Ikite and then the current conditions they are 35 mph off and 180 degrees.

FH sensor confirms the wind is blowing out of the north though which is not what I expected.

Whitey 01-19-2008 07:21 AM

I'm gona take the boat out and set up just off the north end of Caladisi Island. Too many sail boats and people to safley use Dunedin Causeway as a launch during the weekend with an onshore situation. Much safer and easier on your gear to go just east of the vollyball net and west of dog beach on Honeymoon Island to launch.

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 07:22 AM

Yeah. Weird stuff. I was not expecting to see absolute zeros at every sensor in the bay, either.

I am going to wait this one out until the wind God's figure out what they are doing. Weird.
I hate to pull a Debbie Downer, especially with all the great forecasts for today, but fog and wind don't usually go hand in hand.
I can't see my own back yard right now. :(
Things better change!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11...-lowham_family

inferno 01-19-2008 07:25 AM

raul, why not launch from the west side of honeymoon? that was my plan....
more launch space, safer, and bathrooms :)

btw doppler doesnt look nice :(

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 07:37 AM

Danny, check this out.

http://www.vimeo.com/618676

BigR 01-19-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

raul, why not launch from the west side of honeymoon? that was my plan....
more launch space, safer, and bathrooms :)

btw doppler doesnt look nice :(

Danny, look at my last post, thats what I said

I think any showers will pass quickly before it clears then the big showers really hit tonite

BigR 01-19-2008 07:39 AM

Quote:

What is with the north wind at Clearwater and building? Seems all forecasting is f'd up at this point.
its gonna clock around really quick!

inferno 01-19-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 28006)
Danny, check this out.

http://www.vimeo.com/618676

thats what my goal is....
but its tough when we so rarely get 20+....

im pretty sure he can do those in 15-20...

im sure my additional 50lbs doesnt make it any easier :)

my main concern is breaking my board again, i cant afford another one... hey tom, if i break my board trying those can i buy one off you??????

kiteUSF 01-19-2008 07:56 AM

WTF??!!! The wind is everywhere. It sucks when you are trying to have a comp., lol. Oh, well....it will come through sometime today. Keep our fingers crossed.

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 08:01 AM

I think it is blowing 40 in that vid.
I don't think anyone but Ruben can get parallel with his kite at 40 feet up!!
I will enjoy seeing it though, if it happens. That'd be sick.

http://www.hanglos.nl/media2/news/ne...19C7anGVXM.JPG

inferno 01-19-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno (Post 28009)
im pretty sure he can do those in 15-20...

i meant to say that he probably cant do those in 15-20

i came close to landing some that night at LP on my 12m, im sure if i had my 8m in 35-40 i could have chance......

Kev 01-19-2008 09:10 AM

I think you in that video it is only blowing 15knots. That's just how good the fuels are......... heehee ;)

Wolfie 01-19-2008 11:32 AM

Yeah kev...you're on Fuels, why don't I see you doing that?