FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Back to the Bay test run! (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5546)

Steve-O 01-18-2008 01:12 PM

Back to the Bay test run!

Talked with Chris Moore in the shop today. Looks like Sunday may very well be a great day to do a practice run of the race from Gandy to Skyway.

The way my body feels today, there is no way in hell I am gonna be able to pull off the Extreme downwinder this weekend. Just not enough time on the board in the last few months.

Hopefully, we can put all our differences aside and enjoy some wind.

Anyone interested? I have never done the run, so any advice would be helpful here.

Who's in???

Danimal8199 01-18-2008 01:38 PM

I'm down to ride Steve-O!

Lets do it!

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 01:59 PM

I would like to do it for sure and was hoping someone would bring it up.

If it is due N or NNE, what is that run like?
I did a roundwinder from Lassing to there and back on ENE, it was great.
I wonder what N or NNE would be like?
I will do it either way.

It almost looks like waiting a while in the day and hoping it switches more NE might work.
Still 2 days out, so forecasts are sorta iffy.

BigR 01-18-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

If it is due N or NNE, what is that run like?
pretty much straight downwind

CrazyJay 01-18-2008 02:47 PM

Sunday is going to be a great day for a practice run. It will be a little chilly but the water is still pretty warm.
I've done this run when the wind is blowing N and NNE. In actuality is is usually more like NE because near shore the land tends to pull the air in so it is always more side-on than sideshore.
The best time to do it is when the tide is coming in and at about 1 foot. This keeps it deep enough to ride in the flats but also shallow enough that it is like glass. Looks like Sunday around 11am - noon should be perfect.
I'll probably be at Gandy around 10. Anyone want to leave a vehicle at the Skyway?
jay

Kev 01-18-2008 05:12 PM

I'd like to make the run too.

Gui 01-18-2008 05:36 PM

Let's practice ( I need it )

I'll be there as well.

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2) 01-18-2008 06:06 PM

I will too, we'll have a way back right?

hauss 01-18-2008 06:23 PM

I am heading down south for the ft. myers race tomorrow & will be back in town on sunday & I would love to join all of you, count me in!

Hauss

Steve-O 01-18-2008 08:23 PM

Jay,

I think there will be quite a few involved in this practice run. Any concerns with gear failure? I know you have jet ski support planned for the real thing....but do you see a problem with doing this practice run without boat support?

Hate to bring it up, but doing downwinders in the gulf has so many outs if you run into problems.

Not having done the run before.....are you totally screwed if you have gear failure or something of that sort?

Just trying to look at all the angles.

Also, how many are looking to go as fast as possible, or simply enjoy the ride?

CrazyJay 01-19-2008 06:44 AM

There may or MAY NOT be jetskis during the real race. Each rider is resonsibile for their own safety and security. Riders who are not capable of self rescue should not be racing in this, or any, race.

With a low tide you can pretty much walk in from most spots. Albeit it may be a very LONG walk.
The main place you need to be careful is near downtown because there it is deeper and the wind tends to get lighter.

I plan on running full speed the whole way from Gandy to Pinellas Point. The last 4 miles to the SW is kinda boring and choppy so I'll probably stop at the Point.

Anyone else running full throttle?

C. Moore 01-19-2008 06:52 AM

jet ski

We plan to have a jet ski out there. We just don't have complete commitment for a driver. See ya out there.

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 07:16 AM

I am going to bring two 50's.
One to bribe a boater to take their time rescuing me.
One to pay for the cab ride back from Bay Vista park, should I break down.
Knowing me, the 100 buck fee will encourage me to swim back in and then walk all the way back (or hitch a ride).

In terms of racing or chilling, my plan is to race up to the point Jay talks about, then pretend to chill, but keep racing, so it looks like I won to anyone watching from the SW. ;) :D

CrazyJay 01-19-2008 08:16 AM

scott, do u want to leave a car at P Pt or SW? I'll drive us to gandy.

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 08:48 AM

Sure. We can figure out sumtin' :)

I was thinking. You seem kinda down on the last 4 miles, and that's where a real problem could happen with a break down.
Maybe we can land somewhere in P Pt to avoid that possibility?
Is there a spot we can land other's kites that is reasonable in that area?

CrazyJay 01-19-2008 09:07 AM

Bay Vista Park

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 10:15 AM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Maybe put a game plan together and announce it on another thread.

Steve-O 01-19-2008 10:31 AM

Jay,

I started the thread, but would like you to spearhead this thing.

Meet time, start and end point. Scott's providing 100 dollar bills for everyone.

Sounds like the plan is to burn speed. I'm in for whatever. Just want to do the run before the race.

Let us know the plans and we'll be there.

RM3001 01-19-2008 05:03 PM

Drop vehicle

I would like to do that run tomorrow. I have a pimp wagon, aka minivan, that could hold 4 guys and gear.

Rob 813 368-4417

Tom Stock 01-19-2008 05:48 PM

There is a lot of shallow water once you get past the pier. This is one of my favorite down winders.... I'm not gonna go for speed I'm gonna milk this one and enjoy the big rollers around the pier! There is also some incredible flat glassy water if you know where to look.

Fun as heck to boost from the face of a wave and land on the same wave!

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 05:51 PM

I am gonna sort of milk it too. Donna is gonna go, so I will go whatever speed she goes.
What time are we shooting for and what is the dealio on the cars, in terms of where we plan to meet and finish?

Steve-O 01-19-2008 06:09 PM

I may be out now. I have some crazy students that don't mind the cold and want to do some lessons tomorrow. I normally don't have anyone that wants to go out in tomorrow's temps, but of course I have two guys willing to rock and roll.

Quick question....does East Beach work on a NNE wind. It seems that would still be side shore conditions. Can anyone confirm?

Also, will you guys wait later in the day to do the run once things go more NE?

I would love to do this run, but it seems work is calling.....and to tell you the truth I thought for sure no one would want to go out in tomorrow's temps. Oh well. I would love to do the run early in the am, and teach in the afternoon, but from the way it sounds, a north wind is not that great for the run.

I'm not counting myself out yet. We'll see.

Unimog Bob 01-19-2008 06:15 PM

I can haul two others in the cheese wagon with gear. Have you all looked at the temps? At 10AM it is 51 with a real feel of 48 Brrrrr. By 12PM it is at least up to 55. The wind drops a bit but it has some East in it by then.

Bob

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 06:30 PM

51 isn't cold. What are you guys, from FL or something? :)
I think Jay is thinking about waiting until 11 or noon, not positive.

Steve, I think once you get them out to the sandbar, NNE will be fine.
It might be a bit weird on the inside launching, but out from sure you are good to go, as far as I know. Maybe a little gusty but not too bad, I don't think. The problem with NNE is it has a tendency to switch N and then NE as you know.
It's my least favorite direction for trying to figure out where to ride.

Gui 01-19-2008 06:39 PM

Gonna use the 5/3 tomorrow :-)
Hey Bob, I could use a ride back to Gandy...
Any time set for the meeting tomorrow ? 9 AM ?

C. Moore 01-19-2008 06:56 PM

Steve-O East Beach works on a NE. I wish you could join us.

Here are the tides.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Su 20 Low 7:34 AM -1.5 7:21 AM Set 5:44 AM 90
20 High 11:38 PM 2.9 6:00 PM Rise 4:04 PM

We should look at meeting around 10:00 am with the low tide and take off around 11:00. This way we can make sure everyone is ready to go and accounted for. I think we will let Jay make the final call on the time.

-Chris

Skyway Scott 01-19-2008 07:12 PM

Are we meeting at Bay Vista Park or SW?

Tom Stock 01-19-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-O (Post 28041)
I may be out now. I have some crazy students that don't mind the cold and want to do some lessons tomorrow.

Is Paul one of those? I hope so because he keeps putting it off.

Steve-O 01-19-2008 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

Will you guys do the run on a north wind? Can it be done on a north?

That could make the difference in me doing the run tomorrow or not.

Let me know. Would really like to make it out.

How long do you think it will take. Hour and half or less???

Tom Stock 01-19-2008 08:17 PM

I would figure a couple of hours... because you'll probably stop and hit the butter in between. Everyone loves real butter.

CrazyJay 01-20-2008 06:44 AM

The tide is low right now, the winds are low, and MY GOD the temps are low!!!
I'm hoping to head up to the Gandy around 10. Hopefully everyting will pick up by then.
I gotta get done by 1 so I can head over to Ft Laudy for the big run tomorrow.

Skyway Scott 01-20-2008 07:03 AM

It's actually blowing really good, isn't it?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KSPG.html

CrazyJay 01-20-2008 07:44 AM

We are heading to the gandy in about 45 min. Be there at 10 am.
Jay

Gui 01-20-2008 08:11 AM

going to stay in the north county
Have fun guys.
- Gui