FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Royal Era 14m (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6209)

jim 04-07-2008 02:48 PM

Royal Era 14m

I am thinking of replacing my 06 contra 14 m and Daryl at extreme is recommending a 14 m era. Pros/cons?

bigairal 04-07-2008 03:17 PM

i like mine

great low end, fast kite for its size..light bar pressure...good luck

BigR 04-07-2008 03:23 PM

have you tried the new 08' 14m Contra?

super powerfull kite and turns fast fast fast, jumps and goes upwind great too

totally much better improved than the 06'

Erick 04-07-2008 03:43 PM

I'm doing the same move. I liked the Era a lot because of its amazing low end, speed also goes upwind extremly well. My friends Roy and Bob have them i've been able to fly them several times.

I haven't flown the new Contra yet so I can't make a comparisson but I'm sure the Era is more affordable.

jim 04-07-2008 03:52 PM

How does the era self launch? I kite from a boat alot and am used to hooking the chicken loop to a shackle on the boat, placing the kite on its wingtip and it will sit there until it is launched. Trent has a 10 m era and said it will not sit stable like that and shot upwards when he tried it.

Also, how is it to relaunch? I am not looking for cabrinha easy but I don't want ridiculous either.
By the way Al I made it home in 4 hours from islamorada.

bigairal 04-07-2008 03:59 PM

great time islamorada

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim (Post 31478)
How does the era self launch? I kite from a boat alot and am used to hooking the chicken loop to a shackle on the boat, placing the kite on its wingtip and it will sit there until it is launched. Trent has a 10 m era and said it will not sit stable like that and shot upwards when he tried it.

Also, how is it to relaunch? I am not looking for cabrinha easy but I don't want ridiculous either.
By the way Al I made it home in 4 hours from islamorada.

you made excellent time. you can demo my kite if you want. dont really know how it will sit on its wing tip off the boat.

jim 04-07-2008 04:12 PM

Havent tried the 08 contra but i'm sure its really nice. I like my 06 contra but I wouldn't mind spending less $ for a similar kite. I would love to demo yours Al maybe this weekend if there's wind?

Sam 04-07-2008 06:57 PM

if you want to try an 08 contra ive got an 08 14 meter. just let me know its been a great lightwind kite and at least in my opinion is a bitbetter than the 06. definatly a bit faster and smoother. durability seems improved too.

jim 04-07-2008 07:07 PM

Thanks Sam I would like to try it.

bryanleighty 04-08-2008 08:18 AM

definitely take advantage of demo'ing some kites before your purchase..

i know that Paul Fox was out at Backside last week and he asked me to stay around (i was leaving) to give him a launch.. he stated that he didnt like to self lauch his Royal 14.. not sure of the reasons.. but i know that my Waroo 13 2008 self launches and lands with absolute ease.

possible that the royal might not be the right choice if you do a lot of self launching..

good luck man!