FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Cleaning your kite (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4667)

Woodson 09-20-2007 08:46 PM

Cleaning your kite

I've got some down time now that I'm back home in the good ol state of Alabama visiting my family. Brought my kite gear just in case it blows in the Panhandle and I drop in midweek to visit Roy in PC on my return.

Question:

I have to repair a leak in the LE bladder and figured I'd just locate it by putting it in the pool.

It terms of cleaning it is there anything non abrasive I should use? Looks like I was victim of a sea gull attack in the last couple sessions and need to clean it off.

Thought I'd see what you guys use, if anything to remove it.

Thanks for the info.

popeye 09-20-2007 09:30 PM

DO NOT PUT IT IN THE POOL.

DO NOT WASH IT WITH FRESH WATER.

The salt prevents mold from eating the seams, and the chlorine will destroy the fabric and the thread.

Skyway Scott 09-20-2007 09:55 PM

It does seem like chlorine is a bad idea.
I would clean off that bird shit soon, it could hurt the kite too I think.

<jason 09-20-2007 10:00 PM

What do u plan on using to repair the LE bladder?

Gui 09-20-2007 10:16 PM

Tear-aid patch Type A

If it's too big i would use some tear-aid patch Type A to fix the LE

http://www.tear-aid.com/

toby wilson 09-21-2007 07:40 AM

I am not sure if I would discourage the use of just fresh water Bryan. That is how I clean mine...Just make sure you leave it out to dry for a while, I do this with my kites and have not ever had a problem with mold. You just have to make sure you leave it time for the seams to dry as well as Tom made a good point of above but you really should be doing this even with salt water, I have seen kites grow mold from being wrapped up with salt water too...otherwise, wouldn't everyone who rides regularly in fresh water (Lakes, Rivers, etc) have their kites falling apart because of mold??? Just a thought...

amber 09-21-2007 10:26 AM

the guano is ammonia based and can definitely break down your kite. Good idea to clean it asap. is the pool chlorine based or salt, like a lot of the ones around here? I watched Dimitri spit all over a bladder once to make sure it had a good seal. I'm sure a little fresh water wouldn't be too bad unless it was wrapped up wet like Toby mentiond.

shogun1204 09-21-2007 11:56 AM

What!!!!

Man Bryan, you must not have the FULL addicition to kiting yet. You should never have to worry about cleaning or fixing your kites at all!! You should be running up your credit card to buy new kites like every 6 months!!!!!

Woodson 09-21-2007 11:59 AM

Thanks as always!

Can't find the leak and t is holding air so maybe it was somewhat under inflated in high winds the other day. The bird droppings left a stain so beware of the seagull... Not much I can do for it at this point...

Hope everyone has a great weekend, already feeling land locked! All this wind up here and no water... What a waste!

shogun1204 09-21-2007 12:06 PM

Kite repair

Well if it still is leaking and you want to change out the bladder. Call up Extreme Kites and ask for the full Cabrinha set for your 16 that is leaking. (Your 16 is the one that is leaking right?) The Cabrinha Bladder are usually pretty cheap for a full set as crazy as it sounds. I bought a full set for my 9 meter 06 switchblade a while back for super cheap.