FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   WED ride (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5018)

Skyway Scott 11-06-2007 07:34 AM

WED ride

Tomorrow looks possible. Is anyone interested in heading out "up North" to try it?
I am thinking as far North as someone would like to go.

bigairal 11-06-2007 09:22 AM

scott

i would like to go...check my schedule tonight let you know when i can go....cant wait to try out my aggression board. allen (al-kite- ah)

Skyway Scott 11-06-2007 09:27 AM

Sweet board. :)

Let's just post the stuff up here in case someone else wants to join in.

inferno 11-06-2007 09:45 AM

how far north you plan on going????
i can DP up here and head into work late....
or were you thinking more of a DW at sandkey???

Skyway Scott 11-06-2007 10:00 AM

I was thinking maybe DW around SK or maybe riding Honeymoon or something.
I know I won't be DPing it, since the heat of the day should help reinforce the sea breeze (I hope, anyway) and I don't really want to freeze my butt off. :)

Sean B 11-06-2007 10:02 AM

I'm in. Wednesday= no work, no school. Let me know the where you guys want to meet up. :)

Scott, Honeymoon is gonna be side-off on a due north so maybe CW would be better if the seabreeze doesn't put enough west in it.

Skyway Scott 11-06-2007 10:29 AM

Okay. Thanks. I have never riddent Honeymoon and wanted to.
Doesn't sound like it's a possibility though.
Oh well. Maybe DW from Sandkey or so.

bigairal 11-06-2007 10:32 AM

scott

looks like i am in...i am up for DP with danny then a downwinder with you....
i just want to kite. so post where you want to go and call me tonight with details. al-kite-ah

Sean B 11-06-2007 11:09 AM

Sand Key sounds good to me. I guess just post up a meeting time tomorrow morning when you find out what the wind is doing...

Danimal8199 11-06-2007 02:12 PM

Looks like its gonna be NNE at Clearwater. I want to do a DP down winder perhaps. What time are you guys going out there? Are you guys thinking SK to IRB?? Jolly Trolly it back?

Do any of you guys have to be at work in the morning? I need to be in by like 9ish.

Danny

inferno 11-06-2007 02:23 PM

NNE wont work for a DW...
if it has any east in it i will be heading to SW
straight north and i might do SSW
any west and ill head to sand key
(but it has to be over 15mph since my biggest kite is a 12m waroo)
ill post it on here.....

Danimal8199 11-06-2007 02:58 PM

well now its showing straight N. Guess I will have to check when I get up in the morning, never done a DP so I guess I have to learn these things on the fly

Skyway Scott 11-06-2007 04:42 PM

Danimal.
I would shoot for the SW on a DP.
Even if it's N or NNE, it's gonna be the strongest wind there at the SW, most likely. The beach and the morning don't usually go hand in hand.
N and NNE aren't ideal at the SW, but better than not riding.

I am planning on waiting til a tad later.
See how that seabreeze kicked today, and the last several days?
I am hoping for the same effect tomorrow :) (fingers crossed)

Skyway Scott 11-06-2007 09:39 PM

It's currently blowing zero.
Hmmm.... LOL.....

A-Bomb 11-07-2007 04:27 AM

It's on now. I'm hitting the SW for DP.

inferno 11-07-2007 04:47 AM

see ya there al-kite-ta

bigairal 11-07-2007 04:49 AM

sw now

Unimog Bob 11-07-2007 06:53 AM

I drove by at 7:30 sensor was saying 23, but it looked more like 14. Spotted Al on his 14M and one large green Waroo. I've got to do a few things at work, but if it holds I may bail and charge it.

Skyway Scott 11-07-2007 07:37 AM

Thanks for that real life info, it's a lot more useful than a sensor.
The surrounding sensors are quite a bit lower than 20, especially the one over by Raul.

Hoping it shifts more North in a while to go to the beach for a DW'r.

Is anyone in on this idea? If so, where do you want to start?

Skyway Scott 11-07-2007 09:16 AM

iKan'tsurf is broken (worse than usual).

Here is a link that updates the wind every 5 minutes at CLW (if anyone cares).

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=cwbf1

We are going to shoot up there today, around noon or so and hope for the best. It looks like 15 or so, right now. I am hoping for more.

It might come in at the SW from the NE as the sun sets.

BigAirAl got totally skunked out there this a.m. , despite the sensor saying 20 plus for SW.... :-?

Skyway Scott 11-07-2007 03:58 PM

Well. It switched to more NW and spiked up real good at about 2pm at Sand Key.
Looks like the same happened at PaG, maybe a little earlier there.

The baynews9 beach cam is perfect right now (zoomed in) for seeing whitecaps. You can even see kites up at PaG.

http://www.baynews9.com/Sky9.html

Magnum T.I. 11-07-2007 05:46 PM

More North in it here(4-6 PM), wind quality sucked, but wuz fun anyway hangin wit da homies.

Skyway Scott 11-07-2007 08:41 PM

We rode inside Sand Key park. No one seemed to care. I heard it is off limits.
It probably will be, next time :rolleyes:

I don't think there are any "real" rules against kiting in there, but it does seem like on some days "they" will kick us out and on others they won't.
At one point I think there were six of us riding. The patrol guy drove up to Wolfie by the life guard station while Scott was taking a break and was talking to him (nicely) about any dangers of kiting, etc. Scott was saying how safe it was. I was standing immediately upwind of the security golf cart, with my kite in the sky. I debated faking getting dragged across the sand in front of him, and screaming for help, to see how the security guy would react (it would have been funny as hell) but opted to be more mature.

Just then, I saw Al-kite-ah coming out of the water and he was like "Scott.... watch out", pointing to the security dude.
He seemed a tad nervous.
I knew the security guy, or whoever it was, was there and seemed friendly, yet I still got worried for about a half a second when I glanced back at him.
Al and I got threatened with an arrest a few years back.. it apparently scarred us for life ;)
Any time we have a kite up and an "official" comes by, we start to wonder and sweat a little.

Magnum T.I. 11-07-2007 09:34 PM

T.I. Schmolice rolled up to G-Munnie and I and seemed a little interested in kiting. He even said "Is it not windy enough?". I took that as a positive sign, and explained that it was too North for here and pointed out the buildings and lay of the land so he could understand. I am starting to believe that bringing the authorities to "The Darker (windy-er) Side" is our best bet for preserving access. A friend told me that any person wearing a uniform,(Po-Po, Fire, EMS,Parkz & reck) can get free instruction and gear rental from those Kyte Fur Lyfe dudez. Spred de wurd to doze catzz, and thay be our homeezz fo sho.

.........esreveR ygolohcysP, yM sdneirF
.........Reverse Psychology, My Friends
.I.T. mungaM~

Skyway Scott 11-08-2007 07:22 AM

Okay, will keep that in mind. Definitely talking to these guys and being cool is the ticket. Offering a free lesson is a great idea.