FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's happening? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   How about this weekend, June 7, 2008 (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6625)

ricki 06-05-2008 03:18 PM

How about this weekend, June 7, 2008

I can't believe I am actually asking about this and at this time of year. Still, the forecast looks pretty good with no tropical systems involved either. What do you think? Could be good for the Lower Keys? My company secured some digs down there for a while to service some projects, might as well take advantage of it.

greg meintjes 06-05-2008 06:08 PM

this weekend,June 7

Hey Ricki, we will be at Smathers the whole weekend if the wind is good, give us a call if you want to meet up.

Greg

platypus 06-05-2008 08:19 PM

Today looked pretty good for wind, but when I went out there to scope it out no one was out, presuming because of low tide? I saw a couple people out late in the afternoon but it was too late for me to head out.
I just moved down to Key West and I didn't really feel comfortable going at it with no one out there so I chose to wait. Plus I'm not a big fan of being out solo anyways. But if anyone is out tomorrow or Sunday I would be happy to go along.
Any advice about the area would be greatly appreciated too.
I already got a good bit of hints from Paul the other day. Thanks Paul!

Little background:
Been kiting since 04, started in NJ with Island Surf and Sail, then moved down to Kailua and now here. So I'm not knew to kiting, but am unfamiliar with the area and am usually overly cautious until I get a feel for the water/reefs/wind in the area.

Hope to see you all out there!

~Pedro

ricki 06-05-2008 09:50 PM

Thanks Greg, that is what we were thinking to hit Smathers with the E to SE winds. Fingers crossed the forecast comes through. Welcome to Florida Pedro. The Keys seem to have more wind, more of the year than the rest of the state. So, you've landed in a good spot.

conchxpress 06-05-2008 09:57 PM

forecast

Forecasted to be 18 to 20 E on Friday, Sat, with a little less on Sunday. Might have to come down if I can get out of work early tomorrow and the afternoon thunderstorms aren't too widespread.

Frank

greg meintjes 06-06-2008 04:51 AM

how about this weekend june 7 2008

hope you can make it down Frank, welcome to key west Pedro, give me a call at 305 407 6748 and I will be glad to help you, I should get down to the beach round about noon today, and I will introduce you to some of our local riders.

Greg

b-rad 06-06-2008 11:10 PM

Hey guys- Rick, I would come down planning to ride!!! Today was sooo nice on 10s...warm summer goodie...

I think the whole Islamorada crew got out today at one time or another...the Whale was packed all day...

Yes...low tide was in the afternoon and will be tomorrow...dropping all day...that makes it fun up here...you ride all the channels wherever you want to go...and the flattest water all around...

ricki 06-07-2008 07:50 AM

Hey Brad,

I saw a bunch of guys off Whale Harbor driving down last night. They seemed to be well powered. The tide looked unusually low in spots down the Keys. Lots more land in the water than I am used to seeing. Hope today delivers more of the same sans many squalls.

b-rad 06-07-2008 09:34 PM

yeah...someone forgot to pay the water bill...

ricki 06-07-2008 10:30 PM

Great to see the guys at Smathers today, Paul, Greg, Frank, Mike and quite a few more. Nice wind and clear skies pretty much. Hope tomorrow comes through with good conditions again.

conchxpress 06-08-2008 12:18 PM

Iron Man

Rick, Nice seeing you and your wife at Smathers. Finally got to put the picture and the man together. When I arrived at the beach, Greg told me that you were there and he'd introduce us. You were already on the water when I got there. Four hours later when we were all packing up, you finally decided to come ashore. Old guys Rock. I can say that since I'm an old guy.
Hope today was good. I had to leave early to dodge a line of thunderstorms that were already developing north of the Keys, to get home early enough in the day to dodge the summertime build-ups in the Tampa area.
You missed a good time at the Bottlecap last night, but the female contingent came up with a place in Key West that may be up your alley. Talk to Greg about Club Zoo.

Frank

greg meintjes 06-08-2008 06:10 PM

how about this weekend ,june 7

Glad you made it back safe Frank,you did not miss anything today as the wind died off.Hey I know about as much as you or Mike about ZOO, it is the women who are curious, but we will wait for you.

Greg

ricki 06-09-2008 10:52 AM

Thanks again guys for a good weekend down there. It was good to meet you as well Frank. Paul had his rig setup for wakestyle riding, major bar pressure, whooped my butt. Missed out on Bottlecaps, hope to make it next time. Glad you made it back to Tampa ok. I've been impressed by the intensity of storms you have in the Bay area. It can be a problem both for pilots and kiters at times.

BigR 06-09-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Glad you made it back to Tampa ok. I've been impressed by the intensity of storms you have in the Bay area. It can be a problem both for pilots and kiters at times.

Never fails, Middle of june thru september we'll get huge afternoon thunderstorms pop out of nowhere that soak us with torrential rains and strong gusty winds and a good chance of a hail component associated with these thunderstorm cells as well

conchxpress 06-10-2008 11:10 AM

Father's Day at Smather's

Rick, Greg, Mike, Paul . Forecast looks good again for Smathers for this weekend. Not as good as last weekend, but then again the forecasted winds were lighter than the actual. Fri, Sat, Sun, forecasted to be East 16-17 mph with a little lighter on Sun. Can we blame this on global warming?

Frank

onthefritz 06-10-2008 11:43 AM

My buddy and I will be heading down this coming weekend to chase some wind, Im seeing E/NE winds 13 gusting 18-20. Seems Key West always has more wind. From what I understand the location is on the edge of the trade winds correct? If the wind directions not working for Smathers, does anyone besides the kitehouse go to the flats as an alternative? Well prob want to go out to the flats either on Sat. or Sun. not sure yet.

Cheers,

Fritz

conchxpress 06-10-2008 03:06 PM

Key West

The forecast wind direction is looking good for Smathers. Kitehouse is still best bet for flats. When checking Key West on ikitesurf, use the Sand Key model. If there's wind from the East, Greg will be on the beach. If you've never ridden there, he can give you the 411. Look for the Full Throttle Eclipse Kites.

Frank

greg meintjes 06-10-2008 04:36 PM

this coming weekend

Hi Fritz, give us a shout when you get in and we can meet up, I don,t know what the winds will do this weekend, but if it blows we will be out there, either at Smathers or on the flats. tel 305 407 6748.

Hey Frank ,don,t know if we can thank global warming for the winds yet, but who knows what the future will bring,are you coming down this weekend if it blows ?.

Greg

onthefritz 06-10-2008 06:45 PM

Thanks, Ill definitely give you a call. Ive ridden smathers a hand full of times and once out in the flats. Ill see you this weekend.

Fritz