FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   At east beach (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8676)

hobiekanobie 09-20-2009 08:03 AM

At east beach

A guy out on a GK 14m with a surf board, battling abit to get going, a Kahoona 13.5 inflated, a LF Havoc 16m inflated and a waroo 13m busy being inflated. Wind is about 10 to 12 with very few gusts. Big boards, big kites a must! Mostly out of the east.

hobiekanobie 09-20-2009 08:19 AM

Guy on the GK gave up, Kahoona went out with a big crazyfly board 2 min and he was done, had to work the kite but couldn't get on a plane. Couple ppl standing around. Feels like breeze wants to pick up, but I don't think it is forcasted to.

hobiekanobie 09-20-2009 08:21 AM

GK getting ready to go back out now.....

hobiekanobie 09-20-2009 08:25 AM

Going out with a crazyfly cruiser, wind is probably at a good 12. Wanna see how the 16m LF would do?

hobiekanobie 09-20-2009 08:31 AM

Can see 2 kites across at north skyway, both being work realy hard. Guy on GK is doing kiteloops to try and get moving. Think he is giving up already.... Yup, kite coming down.

hobiekanobie 09-20-2009 08:46 AM

IMO, unless u have a massive kite and a big board, use your Sunday to do something else. I have a lawn to mow, but I'd rather be kiting! I'm out....

al-kite-ah 09-20-2009 09:00 AM

thank you for onsite wind readings

i appreciate someone posting onsite wind readings or commentary similar to yours to describe the wind. i hope more people will follow your example and post. i will follow your example this year and post often. you just saved a lot of tampa people a ride over for nothing. sincere thank you!!! hit the mccormick cable park today!!! have a great day!!! allen

LSUkiter 09-20-2009 09:40 AM

Very Cool. I kept checking the sensors and almost went early but called it off, because it didn't look worth the drive. Great to have confirmation

Whitey 09-21-2009 06:12 AM

I hope this thread stays alive and well, saved me a very long drive. Thanks for taking the time to post from the seen. The question is......if it is cranking in the heat of getting ready to join the fun will anyone take the time to post?

Tony 09-21-2009 07:30 AM

With the technology we have today - Iphone's, Blackberry's, etc - most phones can access the net and it is very easy to post. Hope the trend continues.

Tony

Unimog Bob 09-21-2009 07:40 AM

True. Would a Twitter site be even easier?

Tony 09-21-2009 08:19 AM

Great idea Scott. I have not used Twitter but I would definitely use it for this. Let us know how we would do it if you have ideas.

Tony

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay 09-21-2009 09:21 AM

There's something already in place that is perfect for this, but needs some 3g users for testing. (both Iphones and Crackberry). I believe it may work better than Twitter, (which is being over-run by spammers) and definitely includes some better features.;););)
Please contact me if you have 5 or 10 minutes to try this thing out. Pretty sure you'll be stoked!

BTW, T-Mobile has MyTouch3g (Android) phones for 99 bux thru Sept. 24th. Order thru customer service and mention promo (KICKOFF-24)

On another note, the TBKA site is about to get a few updates and will be down for a while.
Members watch your mailbox for a newsletter coming soon.....;)

Steve S. (813) 389-3683

Unimog Bob 09-21-2009 11:03 AM

We should figure out something easy. Whether it's on Steve's site, Twitter, or whatever.
Rick (or Steve) could very easily put a simple "display box" on their forum or site to a Twitter feed dedicated to only local real time wind observations shared amongst local riders.

Here is an example. ---- (went to show, then found out following).

Ugh... Steve is right. Twitter is getting attacked by stuff lately and won't allow sites like Joomla to have direct access to Tweet feeds to display on your own site.

Anyway, something for sharing real time wind info would be cool. Steve will probably figure it out. :D
Maybe just a simple link, like this.
http://twitter.com/Scotts_Demo

A "box" on the forum would be cool, but just accessing a twitter feed is still pretty simple. I honestly don't know how twitter works, cuz I don't care. But for up to date wind stuff, it might prove useful.

Steve, is your idea pretty easy? I only have a simple phone and have texted 3 times my whole life. Do you need a fancy phone to access this stuff? I would prolly just call someone and have them enter the tweet from work (cruel... I know)
"Dude... you are the only one working". "We are riding". "Can you tell everyone else NOT working to come out?" "Thanks. " :(

hobiekanobie 09-21-2009 12:06 PM

I only did this yesterday as it takes me 45min to an hour, depending on traffic to get to East Beach. If those of us with iPhones/Blackberrys could just do a simple post like that about launch conditions, it would be a major help to all Kiteboarders in the area. (especially those with long drives or those still on the fence about making the drive). It only takes a few minutes to log on and and make a quick post..... and it will make it easier for those of us to decide weather or not we can leave work early!!

Not sure about the whole twitter thing, i personally havent used it... dont you all need to be friends to get responses? I have enough trouble with FB!

Lets maybe give this a try and see how it works?
was easy enough for me... im sure there are enough of us around with hi-tech phones to give it a go.

pdfox 09-21-2009 12:39 PM

Danny "Inferno" had something worked out with Gmail last year. Tampawindreports It looked pretty simple and free! Twitter in my opinion just needs to go away.
http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?p=35782#post35782

hobiekanobie 09-21-2009 12:48 PM

The thing with that is ( if you can find it ) is that you still need to go online, so why not keep it here where everybody can find it?

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay 09-21-2009 12:53 PM

What I have is already set up and sitting there. It includes live video, pics, and live chat. It is also possible for each beach to have its own "channel"
(It need testing and input to speed up the process, kinda like the rest of the site.;))
here's how it works:
shoot the viddy, pic, or text update to an email address.
-or-
view the site for update (or pics/ video), or to chat with the person on the beach.
That's about it...

Will check it out more after my phone shows up and I re-learn how to use a telephone.:confused:

Unimog Bob 09-21-2009 01:21 PM

Something will get figured out.
I agree, Paul, Twitter is for twits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobiekanobie (Post 41963)
If those of us with iPhones/Blackberrys could just do a simple post like that about launch conditions, it would be a major help to all Kiteboarders in the area. (especially those with long drives or those still on the fence about making the drive). It only takes a few minutes to log on and and make a quick post..... and it will make it easier for those of us to decide weather or not we can leave work early!!

This makes sense. But, the wind is St. Pete is so on/off that often by the time a post is read, a person drives out and rigs... it's often over.
So, just keep that in mind and don't hold it against the guy that made the post if the wind dies. :D

Posts can alert of false positives though. Like if the Skyway sensor is saying 18 and it's only 7 (this happens a lot on NE).
Posting this info could save several people a drive.

bryanleighty 09-22-2009 09:16 AM

I think for it to really work it needs to be something very simple and available to anyone that can receive txt messages. There has to be a simple way to build a mailing list with everyone's txt address and have folks at launch sites simply send one email to one email group and it will in turn respond to all mailing list members. Everyone would get a txt back to their cel phones w/ up to the minute info and smiles and hi-fives commence!

would be great to have the hi-tech stuff there too.. but all i need is "Its f**king nuking at EB!!!" sent to my txt inbox and I would be a happpy camper.

ricki 09-22-2009 11:14 AM

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=991

Has been around for three and a half years on that and in other forums. Easy to put in updates via net phones from the beach. Not all that active because ... ? Twitter, phone ap's or through whatever tech dejour, all that is needed is user input from the beach and all is good.

bryanleighty 09-22-2009 01:49 PM

Rick.. I am thinking that there needs to be something that even low-tech users can benefit from. I have a fancy new blackberry and its web app is pretty crappy at best. (I have an Ipod touch at home and its web browser functionality is 10 times better)..

that being said.. I think we need something that will send an alert out to those that want to be alerted instead of those that come looking for updates.

I can watch the wind all day if I sit at my pc and keep hitting refresh.. I have missed a number of sessions because I have been at home doing day to day chores/work/call of duty mele/etc and did not notice that there was some movement in the trees...

If there was an email distribution group that was setup and someone at the beach posted a quick update "Its going off at Skyway!" .. then I would have put down my PS3 controller and jumped in my car w/ my gear.

:)

anyone familiar with setting up a mailing lists?

action jackson 09-22-2009 02:08 PM

seabreeze kickin in at Clearwater!:).............aj

ricki 09-22-2009 02:14 PM

There are lots of ways of doing it. Looking into some approaches now. Still, the limiting factor is folks uploading wind info, hopefully accurate stuff too. If we build it, will they come? One way to find out I guess.

hobiekanobie 09-22-2009 03:54 PM

looks like some wind might be coming Thursday according to the forecast! If I head out, I will post an update about conditions here in FKSA.... also if I come in between sessions I will post an update. Might be a little something tomorrow morning too...

ricki 09-22-2009 08:25 PM

one approach is up ...

I am not sure how well this will work but checkout http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Part of the problem is vBulletin is so powerful, full of features that I am not aware of many of them. Anyway, I've set up one approach that might serve ... or not! Anyway, pools open, lookover the instructions and let's give it a whirl if you want to. There are dozens of different ways of doing this, this is just one.

Steve-O 09-22-2009 08:57 PM

Bryan and others

iKitesurf has a email alert system built in for its members.

You choose what sensors you want to watch, how often you want them checked, and at what wind speed you want an email alert triggered.

It's pretty sweet IMO, but it does not make up for innaccurate wind sensor activity. I use the Egmont sensor for East winds and the Clearwater sensor for West winds. I have them both set for 12mph.

The only bummer is with my iPhone, there is no sound when an email arrives. I still have to check it manually.

I agree, that an email alert would be best, however, I have found text alerts to be able to reach the widest audience. Regardless if you phone is internet capable, even low cost phones get text messages and at the lowest cost. I have ditched my land line due to the low cost and convenience of text messaging. Its like email on the go.

I am interested to see how this idea develops. I have set up a text group on my iPhone for all of my students. It currently is 55 strong and took some time to set up. I can send a text to all of them rather simply, but it does take my phone awhile to do it. A great communication tool. I have always wondered if mass texting can be done through the internet, I imagine it would be much faster. I haven't found anything.

Whatever gets set up, make sure Randy knows whats going on as he is out there all the time.

kiteUSF 09-22-2009 10:11 PM

site up next week!

I have been developing a site that is geared towards exactly what everyone has been talking about in this thread. Just talked with my friend who is a web designer. We will have the site up by the beginning of next week. The template is going to be very user friendly and will keep everyone from missing sessions or making long trips to the beach only to get skunked! Stay tuned for more info!

Whitey 09-23-2009 06:33 AM

Steve O go into settings - sounds - new text message and change it from none to the tone you want to hear when you get a text message.

Steve-O 09-23-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey (Post 42002)
Steve O go into settings - sounds - new text message and change it from none to the tone you want to hear when you get a text message.

Email. Doesn't warn me when one arrives. Got to check it manually. Wish ikite had text alert.

Danimal8199 09-23-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-O (Post 41997)
I have always wondered if mass texting can be done through the internet,

My buddy developed a web application that does mass texting. We use it for a charity group to send out texts blasts about events...

Danny

Unimog Bob 09-23-2009 09:54 AM

This might work as well. Not my area of expertise and I don't have much time today, but looks like it holds promise. You might have to read an ad, but...

http://www.textmarks.com/

Unimog Bob 09-23-2009 10:08 AM

This might actually work. I am almost done.
If it works on my phone, I might need you Danny (or someone) to see if it works on yours. I don't think we will have to manually enter a long list, so might be pretty easy. I will know soon.

http://www.textmarks.com/WINDY

I think you just put your phone number in the space provided, check off the "Agree to Terms", and then hit the "Subscribe" button on the above link. You will then get a PassWord sent via text message that you enter to confirm.
No need to enter a bunch of phone numbers manually. Anyone that wants to join just does so.

Then for anyone to call and enter current wind observations, we .... (still figuring this one out, but it's not hard I don't think). :p

Unimog Bob 09-23-2009 10:50 AM

Ok. It works.

To register, go to this link.

and follow the instructions in the prior post.

When wishing to enter an update to send out to others, the phone number to call is 41411.

In your text message, the FIRST word texted is 'windy'.... followed by a space and then the actual message. That first word (windy) clues the program as to which textmark group to send the text to. Don't forget it. :)

That message is instantly sent out to all that subscribe to the group "windy".
If someone wants to setup a different mark with a different name, that's fine. Or if you guys don't like this, again, that's fine. I don't even have text messaging as an option on my phone (had to borrow buddy's phone for this), so I obviously don't care. But this approach works.
Not sure of the charges. It says standard charges apply. Also, you can very easily unsubscribe if it becomes a pain.

There is an API for web-designers to put text messages onto their site and provide a text box to upload text messages (semi-Twitter like).

Unimog Bob 09-23-2009 11:12 AM

One last post, then have to leave.
On this mark's "homepage" it has a twitter like text feed toward the bottom on the right.
So, you could check that page from work and not need your phone on to "be in touch". Kind of a neat added feature.
IMHO, this app seems to really nail it.

bryanleighty 09-23-2009 11:46 AM

perfect!!! can you (as admin) manage users if someone abuses the system? Just asking....

also could be good for something like :

"crazy asshat is flying his kite too close to shore in Clearwater.. need everyone to meet in 10 minutes to help puncture his kite!"

Unimog Bob 09-23-2009 11:54 AM

LMAO. I am still reading about it.
I was supposed to be at Derby Lane in a tourney... but..... I actually find this app quite good and want to learn about it.

I think this app holds a ton of promise for quickly getting out real wind info, not just iMight stuff.

Like you said Bryan, it's going to require that people use it accordingly. I don't think that will be a problem, actually.

One reason. When people text a report, their username is associated with the report, as shown on the bottom right of the "twitter like feed".
Yes, I do believe that membership can be limited, if need be.

Bryan, can you register and attempt to make an observation?
Maybe say "no wind in office". Thanks. Bob made an observation and the report was sent literally instantly.

This app has widgets for FaceBook, websites.. you name it.
It's very well thought out, imo.
Oh. All the times of the reports will be 3 hours off initially on the twitter like feed.
To change that, update "Your Profile" to reflect the correct time zone. Otherwise this app isn't very accurate with times. :eek:

Unimog Bob 09-23-2009 12:20 PM

HobieK,

Got it on phone and on homepage. :)

hobiekanobie 09-23-2009 12:20 PM

this is pretty awesome, could you maybe also link it up to a page in FKSA so it updates here too? im in!

Unimog Bob 09-23-2009 12:23 PM

There are widgets for it that can be placed just about anywhere.
It's just HTML. ;)
Here is an example of a widget on a demo site (top right)

http://www.scottfears.com/