FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2008 Waroos (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5533)

bryanleighty 01-17-2008 09:33 AM

2008 Waroos

anyone have any quality time on the 2008 13m Waroo?

considering a 9/13 combo.. i know that the 9 has received rave reviews.

i think a 9 / 11 combo would be to tight of an overlap. i do love my 9/12 2006 overlap.. think 3 meters difference is spot on...but i'm playing the cards dealt ..

inferno 01-17-2008 09:36 AM

the 15 is nice, about as quick as last years 13m and thats not even on the fastest setting....

ricki 01-17-2008 10:02 AM

I have two sessions on the '08 13 m in over the last week. Going well so far. What sort of wind speed would you want to start using your 9 m in?

shogun1204 01-17-2008 10:39 AM

Warooo!!!

I have flown the 9 about 3 times, and I have to say that kite is the shiznizz! Fast, lots of range, loads of power, very stable unhooked! I have flow the 13 2 times and that kites is pretty sweet too! I thought it was a tad slow for my taste but I am not sure what settings it was on, but it still was fast enough I just would of liked it if it was a bit faster. Very smooth, it also had a lot of power too, and very smooth unhooked. Honestly if it was not for the Royal kites I have now I would be flying this years best kites. If you want to talk to someone that has flown the Waroo and the Hp a lot in each size you should talk to Wayne at www.pcbkitesurf.com. That is all he flys and has a lot of time on them. Also if you send a PM to a sandibottom on the forum, he has a lot of time on the 08 Best stuff too. He flys all Nemis, but has ridden the 08 waroo a lot too.

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 11:21 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with the 9m 'roo, Bryan.
In my opinion, it's the cherry in the quiver.

When I hopped on the 11m right after the 9m, I noticed a fairly obvious drop in "awesomeness". The 11m was still very good by most standards, but wasn't as sweet as the 9m, which is insane, imo.

Rick, if you are liking that 13, I strongly suggest you try the 9m for above stated reason.

Bryan, I would start by getting the 9m and figuring out it's low end. This will enable you to answer Rick's question.
I think you might be surprised. I am fairly confident Tom is dropping the 12m out of his quiver, hopping from 16m straight to 9m.
I know I did, and drop down from my big kite straight to the 9m at about 17 knots.
I don't see a need for a 12m kite anymore. Definitely DON'T get a 9 AND and 11m Waroo.

Is 13 as big as you are gonna go?!
Even Donna has a 15m Hyper... lol. :)
If a big kite is fast and performs like most 2007 11m kites, with an insane top end, may as well.

Anyway, free advice, from a guy who won't profit or lose from your decision.
I am sure my preferences are highly bias by my riding style, which is just a little bit of everything, all semi reasonable, but not great. :)

inferno 01-17-2008 11:33 AM

bryan, you should jump on my 15m one day, you might like it enough to go straight from the 15m to the 9m....
ive been on it in 20 and was perfectly good.......

ricki 01-17-2008 11:38 AM

I have a 9 m Switchblade that does well in higher winds. Think I did about 170 miles of distance races with it last year. It would be neat to get some new kites that overlap my current quiver but then there is the cost issue.

Tom Stock 01-17-2008 12:02 PM

I agree. I think anything between the 9 and 15 might be overlap. I do keep my 12 around though because if it's gusty, I find I have to work the little 9 alot to keep the power on so a 13 may not be a bad idea, especially since the low end of the 13 will probably cover the range of the 15 anyway.

If it's consistent, I can ride the 9 all the way down to 15 and still be jumping and having fun (well you saw it at EB that day).

I would start with just the 9m and ride it for awhile before you pick the next size. Everyone rides differently so the ranges can be different... for example some guys like to ride fast all the time and unhook a lot .. they will need less kite due to apparent wind than someone who likes to ride slow, locked down but still feel fully powered. I don't know where you fall in there so you'll have to try it out.

I can say though that without a doubt my unhooked riding as improved significantly since I got the 9m. Last I heard Daryl at extreme has been riding it exclusively... they can't pry it out of his hands. Thats sort of how I feel about it too. If I can't ride the 9 I almost don't even want to ride.

donster 01-17-2008 12:22 PM

I am loving my new kite. :)
It's a purple 9m Waroo, just like Tom's. Scott let me ride his a few weeks ago at North Beach and once I rode it, I really wanted one just for me. I usually don't get too excited about a kite, but this kite is different. It's made riding much more fun.
I honestly think I am improving on the kite as well, for two reasons.
I have confidence that the kite will go where I want it to go and it is very easy to power/depower and steer the kite. It doesn't take much effort at all.

Because it's so easy to use, I think my riding is getting better. I practiced carving turns for about an hour yesterday. Most kites would have worn me out too much to do that.

Thanks for the demo, Scott. ;-)

bryanleighty 01-17-2008 01:00 PM

my 12 is my bread and butter kite.. when i get to ride my 12, the conditions are (my preference) optimal.. ( i weigh about 195 to 200lbs)

my 9 usually only gets used in 20+.. late teens for some days if its expected to pick up. tho if the 9 can over a few more knots I would love to always be riding the smallest kite for the conditions.

seems that most my riding has been on my 16 as of late.. wind not perfect for the 12.. but the 16 is often too big/slow to have fun beyond some floaty jumps and stuff.. i can usually loop that beast w/o issue..

thinking the 13/9 combo might be the perfect quiver.. keep my 16 for the light wind days.. keep my 12/9 old waroos for backup.. (not worth too much on the market)

my 2006 9m is still in amazing condition minus the replaced bridle. canopy is perfect and i love the hell out of the kite..

bryanleighty 01-17-2008 01:13 PM

scratch this thread.. 9 and 13m 2008 waroos on their way.. be in tomorrow for weekend fun.
spoke w/ Rob at EK and he gave me lowdown on the 13m.. sounds exactly what I am looking for. I am positive that a 9/15 split would be too much..
I'll keep my 16 as my lightwind cruising kite..

work bonus just announced.. all is well in the world.

tho i really wanted the 13 in purple that the only color they didnt have it in. got green.. 9m orange.

Tom Stock 01-17-2008 01:48 PM

Awesome Bryan! I bet you won't use the 16 much...

Pay attention to the trim... the new 08s are very efficient so they are a little more sensitive to back stalling. The 06's you could over sheet like crazy and get a little more bottom end before they back stalled, but the 08s (at least the 9) will completely dump the power if you do that.

You are gonna like those kites.

Tom Stock 01-17-2008 01:50 PM

BTW I'd like to hear your comparison of the 9m 06 and 9m 08. As far as I can tell them are not even close to being the same kite. The new one is a hybrid C (just my opinion).

bryanleighty 01-17-2008 04:18 PM

absolutely regarding the comparison...

At my weight, the 2006 9m only comes out in pretty litt up conditions.. maybe w/ the new kites and them having some better low end production I can get more time on it. I'd love to cover 80% of our conditions with a 9/13 split.

i rode the 12m waroo as my lightwind kite for a couple months before buying the 16.. I really was able to cover a lot of wind conditions with that kite. Once I got the 16 I got pretty lazy at trying to eek out power from a small kite when I had the large one in the car..

I tend to rig larger kites to ensure I have the power.. I am really trying to learn kiteloops and riding smaller kites with a bit less power might make them a little less painful.

vstone511 01-17-2008 05:17 PM

i just pick up a 10 and 14 m switchblade3 and i love these kites doesnt matter what kinda wind they will hold really stable, never back stalls zero bar pressure every thing about this kite is freakin rad serious the 14 is fast and the ten is even faster and when you boost there really floaty lots of hang time a i say they were worth every penny

Skyway Scott 01-17-2008 05:39 PM

Fantastic. It's always good to like your equipment.
Still, I could have sworn this thread was entitled "2008 Waroo" and Bryan was trying to figure out sizes.
It sort of sounds like Bryan already bought them, too.

Tom Stock 01-17-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vstone511 (Post 27873)
i just pick up a 10 and 14 m switchblade3 and i love these kites doesnt matter what kinda wind they will hold really stable, never back stalls zero bar pressure every thing about this kite is freakin rad serious the 14 is fast and the ten is even faster and when you boost there really floaty lots of hang time a i say they were worth every penny

Welcome, vstone, how long you been riding? What was your last quiver?

toby wilson 01-17-2008 06:44 PM

I actually got to ride Sam's 12M SB3 yesterday...thanks Sam. Everyone knows that I love my '07 Thrusters and am pretty vocal about it when I post. I can't say that I have ridden an '08 Waroo but what I WILL say is that I have to agree with vstone. The SB3 is a NICE kite. Boosts HUGE, to the MOON and has TONS of power for a 12M!!! Takes some getting used to though, I had it fly over my head a couple of times but I attribute that to rider error/not enough time on the kite. I will also state that I have NEVER been a Cabrinha fan but that I think they really made a nice kite with the SB3! Pretty expensive tho...Just my $0.02...

Tom Stock 01-17-2008 07:13 PM

Yeah I heard it's pretty good this year but expen$ive as you mentioned. I am surprised it flew over your head. That can make keeping the kite in the air in really gusty winds pretty difficult. Thats the only reason I didn't get a hypertype when they were on sale.

vstone511 01-17-2008 07:38 PM

tom hey whats up
i started riding last summer i havent rode any best kites but i have heard tons of pro's and con's about them more so con's i just got my first quiver switchblade 3 i have riden slingshot, liquid force, monkey kites and had looked at best as a possible choice along with cabrinha and slingshot i was just making a suggestion on these kites i wasnt sure if he had bought kites yet

Tom Stock 01-17-2008 08:52 PM

Right on, see you out on the water.

Chad085 01-17-2008 09:22 PM

9,13,16 sounds like all bases covered bro, especially if you have a few different boards to play around with. I haven't ridden an '08 best 13, but i'm sure with a big board you could have fun probly 15knts maybe even 12 and if it picks up just grab another board. It seems like these newer kites are getting faster and more power from smaller sizes. I've got an 11 and a 16, which can leave a gap but i usually make out ok with a board swap. Just remember when you get those new kites to take a moment and embrace that fresh, crisp, new kite smell and feel, it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside:)

Unimog Bob 01-18-2008 05:58 AM

Hey somone has to help WSW pay the rent, T-shirt sales only go so far. Has PT Barnum posted on this thread yet?

BigR 01-18-2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Has PT Barnum posted on this thread yet?

No, as for as I know Alex ( Gumball from Best ) has not posted any of his over the top / used car salesman HYPE on this forum yet

Unimog Bob 01-18-2008 07:07 AM

Just teasing Raul, I'd really like to try the SB3. It has been a while since I've given any Cab kite a fair shot. I guess I've been avoiding it because if they were really a lot better I still don't think I coud pry the money out of my wallet.

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 07:36 AM

Since most riders only ride back and forth and do small jumps, whats the point anyway? Not like they need the pro model. But some beginners seek out the best gear they can find hoping to shorten the learning curve and assume that because the price is higher that it's better gear. Unfortunately price has absolutely nothing to do with the design of the kite. That has to do with labor costs and profit margins. Hype doesn't mean anything either, that has to do with commissions.

I based my kite choice on 3 years of kiting experience moving into a lot of unhooked riding, Scott on 8 years also just moving into a lot of unhooked riding, Billy on 7 or 8 (?) years as a superhero, Crazy Jay on his (8?) years doing crazy kite loops to blind and unhooked riding on small C kites, and most beginners on 2 hours of experience relaunching in 8 knots.

My point is everyone is at a different level and they choose the kite for the level they are riding at and the type of riding they do. A free riding kite is not a freestyle kite.

The kite for Billy may not be the kite for the guy who's only been riding 6 months and isn't unhooking. Maybe he just wants low end grunt instead of a fast looping kite.

Variety is what makes the world interesting. Spend what you want, ride what you want, and as you progress you'll probably find your kite flavors changing.

When someone recommends a kite, ask what type of riding they do and how long they've been riding and it'll help you decide if it's your type of kite.

BigR 01-18-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

I'd really like to try the SB3. It has been a while since I've given any Cab kite a fair shot. I guess I've been avoiding it because if they were really a lot better I still don't think I coud pry the money out of my wallet

Yeah, I'd like to try one too, but I can't seem to let go of the XBow III's.

Also, I think this low priced thing vs. high priced thing is a myth. Once you make a fair comparison, i.e. price both size kites with bars with single pump inflation systems, I calculated the cabby's are only $100 maybe $150 more esp. since you can negotiate the price on cabby's but not the others.

Steve-O 01-18-2008 08:27 AM

Well said Tom. It just sucks that guys on this forum gotta throw the first punch all the time at the shop I work for. It is no wonder I find myself on the defensive all the time which inevitiably is a no win situation. So I am done battling the negative comments. I am doing this job not to get rich, but to help raise a beautiful baby girl and give her the best opportunity in this difficult world, and give back to a sport that has given me life again.

I joined the forum to learn more about the sport, our local riders, and occasionally post a demo here and there. It is hard sometimes to stay on track, but I will do my best.

OK so some demo news.....we are working out the details with ERA to host a demo early next week. Times and locations to be announced.

We are also finalizing the launch of Nobile Kites here in the US. We are looking to have the first batch of kites available here in the US. More as that develops. Hoping for next month at the "Back to the Bay" race.

Always have SB3's and Rev's on hand for anyone wanting to give them a whirl. I never push them on anyone so feel free to come up to me wherever I am and ask. Or simply call and I can try to meet you somewhere you are riding.

Oh yeah, and thank's Raul for pointing out the obvious. It really is a silly argument when you compare apples to apples.

Have a great weekend.....I will be in the shop busy selling T-shirts.

bryanleighty 01-18-2008 09:27 AM

Exactly Tom!

I ride the kites that I ride for my own personal reasons.. if someone asks my opinion, I will give it to them but because I like something means jack-diddly to another rider.

My ONLY advice I would give anyone starting off is to buy a newer but used kite first. Thats to save a few bucks as we all know the first 6 months can be tough and keep the technology as new as your wallet will allow.

I ride the kites I ride and buy from the place I buy 100% out of familiarity and experience w/ how well I've been treated during past issues that required customer service.

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR (Post 27905)
Once you make a fair comparison, i.e. price both size kites with bars with single pump inflation systems, I calculated the cabby's are only $100 maybe $150 more esp. since you can negotiate the price on cabby's but not the others.

I think you did your math wrong.

08 Waroo quiver (15M, 11M, 9M + bar and lines (who needs 3 bars): $2696.00 + tax
08 SBIII quiver (16M,12M,8M): $4817.00 + tax

5154.00 SB3s after tax
2884.00 WAROOs after tax
======
2270.00 less expensive quiver.

BigR 01-18-2008 10:26 AM

Not a fair comparison at all...........

The waroos do not come with bars in your example and they also do not come with one pump system

lets be fair.

'08 Nemi e-z pump 12m + bar/ lines = $1398
'08 Switchblade III 12m + bar/ lines = $1579
difference = $181

you can't compare waroos with no bar/lines or no e-z pump to switchblades complete with bar/ lines.

those prices are straight from manufacturer website.

http://www.neilprydemaui.com/items.php?id=528

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/08-NemesisHPEZ

whats the big myth?

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR (Post 27929)
Not a fair comparison at all...........

The waroos do not come with bars in your example and they also do not come with one pump system

No, I included one bar and one set of lines. I do not need THREE bars for a quiver. Also, I don't like Hp's,and I hate one pump it sucks so I'd like to have the option to leave it out.

12M SB3+BAR: 1579
13M WAROO+BAR: 1148
=============
====
$431 cheaper (before taxes) and it's one size bigger. Buy it without the bar and save another $300 for a total of $731.

$731 is a lot of money in my book.

inferno 01-18-2008 10:52 AM

youre not going to win this one raul :)

BigR 01-18-2008 10:54 AM

LOL!!!!!!

if thats the way you wanna play it then the true calculations are:

$1180 for the SBIII without bar
but since I hate single point inflation system subtract another $250
( since I can use my current bar and have no need for one pump )

price SBIII = $930 w/o bar or single point inflation
price waroo = $731

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 10:55 AM

Where can I order an SB3 without bar and one pump? Is that possible? :D You are still $200 over lol! Do some "new age" math! If $200 is missing from your wallet was it ever really there?

I'm really just playing with Raul... we are good friends. I just had to play when he said $150 difference.

BigR 01-18-2008 10:56 AM

apples to oranges........

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 10:58 AM

Are we really going to do this, again?

My gripe isn't about the money issue, anyway.
If someone doesn't care or is too lazy to comparison shop, that's their problem and they can part with their money. What do I care?

My gripe is about a local shop guy claiming the Waroos are inferior kites and that he wouldn't ever teach again, if it were on waroos. In addition, statements were made that new riders won't progress as quickly on them as on Cabrinhas. What a load of crap. The statements were heavily bias and way off base. They were made in response to a Best thread... basically hijacked. It was a joke.

I still can't help but suspect that not having a Best account heavily tainted your statements against Best, Steve. If not, only ignorance is to blame.

The Best thread got real ugly and I wish I could learn to control my responses to bias and misinformation better. I am trying. I got pissed and apologize for the "tone" I had. I don't apologize for standing up to bias and misinformation.

To show that it is hardly personal or aimed at WSW, but more aimed toward the ridiculousness of the statements, here is a thread from KF.
I would focus solely on what ToastSyn and myself say.
At the time, Toast worked for EXTREME KITES and is still an EK rider.

Toast posts on page 1 and then page 3 (skip 2). Then I respond. It got heated. I am not proud of it, but it proves it's not about you Steve.
It's not even about me riding the waroo. It's about misinformation and bias.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.p...a52247abb27235

Tom Stock 01-18-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigR (Post 27934)
apples to oranges........

But oranges are more expensive!

bryanleighty 01-18-2008 11:06 AM

i think you are both correct..

obviously if you are talking a one-pump vs a non-one pump its apples and oranges

think the HP vs SB is the "better" comparison..

Tho, I am with Tom in regards to what I want with a kite and when I see a price for a Cab or a SS it kinda freaks me out. I just bought 2 new kites (kite only, no bar) for less than 1 SB complete.

Its all about what you want in a kite and what your budget is.

also..I could have bought 4 used 2007 waroos for the price i paid for 2 new.

Skyway Scott 01-18-2008 11:11 AM

HP has Cuben fiber. That stuff is expensive. :rolleyes:
This money argument isn't worth it, imo.

http://most-expensive.net/