FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   ** KITER BUZZ ** (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Long Live Freestyle!!! (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5883)

b-rad 02-29-2008 09:39 AM

Long Live Freestyle!!!

ok...I'm all about long distance races...but anyone ready for a hard-core freestyle event?

like really chill everyone throwdown rider judged photo heavy party on the water???

kitehigh911 03-05-2008 02:09 PM

freestyle

BRAD thank you

LETS DO IT

will

Brent B 03-05-2008 03:42 PM

freestyle

im game just let me know when and where?

b-rad 03-08-2008 08:54 AM

we had a real fun day last sun...we got the slider finished and a crew came down and sessioned it hard...

lets see if this wind turns for tomorrow...I'm sure the same thing will happen again...

lets keep in touch for one of these weekends coming up...

Bobby 03-08-2008 07:55 PM

woot

im down when you say its blowin
hit me up the next weekend your ready for a slider session and ill come down with some of the boys
-bobby

Brent B 03-09-2008 01:00 AM

where

where is this slider park im there next time its blowin?

Magnum T.I. 03-09-2008 09:32 AM

The "Slider Park" is about 100' off the beach at Whale Harbor, just look for the kites in the trees, you'll find it......
Seriously, I am all for some friendly competition and slider action, but why dont you guys use your 64 jet skis to pull it out a little further from shore?
Might make for a safer event (for the bystanders) and encourage others to hit it.
just a suggestion.......;)

Skyway Scott 03-09-2008 10:04 AM

Funny.

miamikiteboarding 03-09-2008 03:57 PM

All agree.
Brad thanks for putting together this race to Key West. good follow up. Looks like each major spot will have its local contest .

as far as FREESTYLE, the next Event organized by Miamikiteboarding will be during the Kiteboard Masters /Kite4girls on APRIL 12-13 and will feature FREESTYLE CONTEST on the first days as well as LONG DISTANCE or buoyes race , on the 2nd day.
There will be a prize money for each.
Men & Women of course , has per our K4G concept, the women have their own Event within this 2 days of Kitesurfing Festival in Miami.

Brad , what do you think of applying the same points system as we started during the Fowey Race last week ? this will continue on a Ranking process throughout the all season in Florida for all riders attending Kite races ?
it's a reward for those who previously attended other races and Mostly an incentive for any riders who wish to compet meanwhile they obtain a ranking at the end of the season .
It could be interesting to declare a winner in each categories. Men, Women, Youth , Senior ?

Which could lead to a Florida championship. and could be of interest for a Big SPONSOR ? and a big prize TBA...??

Oh BTW , We also work on another long distance to get to you almost : MIAMI TO KEY LARGO !!
it's only 40 Miles and 80% flat water, in Biscayne Bay .
Good warm up and trial to your race KW actually . The ending is in Card Sound precisely.
We did it couple of times with Fabrice years ago, and always had this race/downwinder in Mind . So it's a good timing to set it up.
We will provide Chase boats as ususally AND a BUS to drive the racers back to starting point

FYI, if any riders want to give it a practice trial: Miamikiteboarding do offer a full-day Private Downwinders for ADVANCED riders with Chase boat and road drive back . Minmum 3 riders, upon reservaton. Check our www.Miamikiteboarding.com downwinder page.

We just need a "Ft Lauderdale to Miami" Race and we get the distance from Jupiter to Key West pretty much all covered in 4 Long distance races ...Who's up to it ??

we stay tuned.
christophe

b-rad 03-09-2008 04:19 PM

Yo Magnum, I sense a little...mmm...are you upset about something? If you are referring to last Sunday, those were put there in side shore winds for a small group of professional riders to session...and it was awesome. They were not put there to encourage anyone else to try and hit...

You may or may not know that normally we put them out on the otherside of the channel in the no-motor zone. We keep them on the shoreline in different places and yes we do use our 33 jet skis to move them around all over the place.

What's your name magnum? Have we ridden together?

b-rad 03-09-2008 04:28 PM

Christophe,

Sounds good to me. I think it's a great idea to connect the events. Good for kiting, good for Fla and good for kiters...

And lets add a few miles on your downwinder to Key Largo and head into Islamorada...eventually cover the entire east coast...maybe we could finally get permission to round the cape and we could session some of Florida's best waves!!!

Magnum T.I. 03-09-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 30133)
Funny.

Naahhh, thats the lightly funny version...
I'm just tryin' out my brand new tongue sharpener that came with the new callout system. Anybody get theirs yet? They were supposed to go out next day air from what I heard on the infomercial.
Maybe there was a recall...oh well...
Let's RACE!

b-rad 03-09-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum T.I. (Post 30145)
Naahhh, thats the lightly funny version...
I'm just tryin' out my brand new tongue sharpener that came with the new callout system. Anybody get theirs yet? They were supposed to go out next day air from what I heard on the infomercial.
Maybe there was a recall...oh well...
Let's RACE!

now that IS funny...

I like being called out. It's way better than people talking smack in the shaddows and keeps me in check...just not sure that sunday deserves a calling out...other than calling out how freakin sweet our new slider turned out... and calling out for all freestylers to come practice on it whenever they want (as long as it is set out). (Please don't hit her when she's sleeping on the shore)

oh...and I figured out that the new toung sharpener on the callout system only really works when you enter your name on line one...

Magnum T.I. 03-09-2008 06:09 PM

Yes, we know each other B-rad, we're both kiters...
Sure let's discuss it... I was there about 4minutes, here's what I saw between the slider and shore: Suicide leashes, no helmets, balls out kiting with bystanders in the wind window,kiteloops,jump transitions, trees, rocks, cars directly downwind, and jet skis blazing through the riding area -which was mainly the area between the sailboat and shore.I must admit that I didn't really see any kites in the trees, I just threw that in for effect. But I do have some sail tape if you guys need some.....;)

I just dont think that was a good choice considering the recent bans created by riding 2 close to shore. Maybe you and the "pros" or whoever it was should realize that a slider 100' from shore is flat out dangerous, and actions such as that are what needs attention in our sport.

If you didn't listen to the infomercial, ALL kiters are encouraged to stand up for their spots, and call out bad behavior, and it shows no preference to riding level,# of jet skis, or sponsorship status. Shit man, you're getting off easy with just a slight ribbing, the experts suggested videotaping it and making it public.

Nice talkin at ya, see you on the sandbar....;)

BTW, Friday's looking kinda sweet from the SE, see ya on the water!

Bobby 03-09-2008 10:56 PM

hmm

Brad I am going to totally agree with Sir Magnum on this one. You totally invite a bunch of your kiter-noobs to your beach week after week and encourage them so greatly to hit the slider that is so conveniently placed 10 feet off of your beach, meanwhile teasing them with cookies asking them to loop there kite very close to the beautiful palm trees of whale harbor where all the innocent spectators stand about.
Live on seven
-Bobby

Magnum T.I. 03-10-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-rad (Post 29812)
ok...I'm all about long distance races...but anyone ready for a hard-core freestyle event?

like really chill everyone throwdown rider judged photo heavy party on the water???

Good thing it wasn't a "rider judged photo heavy party", huh?
Would have been more like a "mass suicide of sponsored riders".
(The jet ski collection is A-mazing,but some of you guys would have to pawn those skis to buy your next quiver!) BTW- I didn't notice the "Pros Only" sign...my Bad, Bee-rad... (I'll put a rush on that sail tape for ya)
I am just bustin' yer nuggets, Bee-Rad,I can respect the arrangement you have with the WH people, we have a killer setup there,without a doubt!
The moral of the story is that WH is your responsibility, and very visible to everyone, even from the B-ridge. Hopefully this little chat will encourage you and others to pay attention to your actions and kite a little smarter. Think it will work?

B-Safe, B-rother,
~M-agnum

b-rad 03-10-2008 09:17 AM

thanks bobby-

Magnum, four years ago that wasn't a spot. I developed it. I have spent tons of money and time to keep this launch open (to the public). I'm for sure not going to do anything wilingly to loose it now. On the contrary, our session on Sunday with 30+ kites was great for Islamorada, our sport and that spot (the owners were there all day watching and they loved it...and they DO know the dangers).

The wind was side, side on-shore; no bystanders were in the window, cars were not downwind, and the palms are there as protection. When you can hit the kicker as hard as you want, miss the pass and loop the kite four times as you get drug like 200 feet and you are still a kite line away from shore, it is ok by me. Many people crashed...we crashed all day on 7's, 9's and 10m kites. Kites looped near the shore, for sure. If it was ON shore it would have looked much different.

I'll admit that it might have been inconvenient for kiters to come and launch in the middle of that session unless they were comfortable riding with kiters all around.

I wish you had some video...I would love to see it!!! I think there are some pics. We are on the same side Magnum...we want the same thing. I would be happy to discuss it more with you if you want. You know where to find me...(I don't know where to find you, but that's ok...you can keep your alias...it might be cool if you introduced yourself to me in person...if you really want to help keep launches open...)

with love-
B-rad

b-rad 03-10-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum T.I. (Post 30169)
Good thing it wasn't a "rider judged photo heavy party", huh?
Would have been more like a "mass suicide of sponsored riders".
(The jet ski collection is A-mazing,but some of you guys would have to pawn those skis to buy your next quiver!) BTW- I didn't notice the "Pros Only" sign...my Bad, Bee-rad... (I'll put a rush on that sail tape for ya)
I am just bustin' yer nuggets, Bee-Rad,I can respect the arrangement you have with the WH people, we have a killer setup there,without a doubt!
The moral of the story is that WH is your responsibility, and very visible to everyone, even from the B-ridge. Hopefully this little chat will encourage you and others to pay attention to your actions and kite a little smarter. Think it will work?

B-Safe, B-rother,
~M-agnum

mass suicide?? pawn skis to buy next quiver??? What are you talking about? Are you just trying to start trouble? I hear your point about having the slider too close to shore...ok...but...if you just want to bust my nuggets...thanks for nothing...

We are taking donations for more sand on the beach...feel like helping out or just want to bust nuggets????

Magnum T.I. 03-10-2008 06:08 PM

I'm almost done bustin on ya, and I do commend your efforts up there, Brad.(I'll even buy the beer when we have that chat) Thanks for sacking up and taking it. Next time that slider goes out, I could almost bet ya a dozen skis it will be well away from the beach.(mission accomplished)
I am all for protecting spots,and more sand on the beach-
Have you considered hauling tourists out to the sandbar to see the pros in action, up close and upwind?
How about free lessons or jet ski rides for the sand man?
Raffle a ski? (just kidding)
Sell the kite catchers, I mean palm trees.
Raffle off some helmets and impact vests?
Throw a fundraising concert, party or event.
Wet boardshort car wash for old ladies?
Shit man, I don't know. My show's been off the air since the mid-80's- I am broke...

BigIan 03-10-2008 09:13 PM

brad,

let us know about the slider you know brandon and I are down to come to WH and show what slider riding is all about..

LF represent!

- Ian

Bobby 03-10-2008 09:23 PM

bump

bump =)
cya this weekend brad and IAN

-Bobby

Ian this is mikeys friend from matheson
I almost got that loop 3 down 8)

BigIan 03-10-2008 09:42 PM

brad,

let us know about the slider you know brandon and I are down to come to WH and show what slider riding is all about..

LF represent!

- Ian

Magnum T.I. 03-11-2008 06:00 PM

Bump?(WTF?) hmm.. Not sure what this is in "Tier 1" talk, but I'll take a guess!
Bag
Us
More
Please?
O.K., I'll bite.
"Long Live Freestyle" (OOPS, I think I just stepped in some stoke....)
B-obby is displaying what is known as "Sharing the STROKE".:D Both of you got into an arguement you can't win, its about access and safety and staying AWAY the beach, not how bitchen' yer new slider is, bro.
B-rad is in a high profile place, and has the responsibility of managing a bunch of kitelooping clowns when they are at his spot, and you are obviously one of them. He doesn't seem like he wants to say anything else here, so: What are you guys going to do to help the situation?
Whats it gonna take to get you off the beach?
I have an idea!
Load up those 3 dozen jet skis with tourists and drive them out to the sandbar where they can all look at you real close, get glamour shots, and even get your autograph.(replace you kite knife with a sharpie if you want) Show them you're rigged suicide style and they might tip you, bra!
I applied what I have heard and read about access, to what I saw last week. This was Neil's, Rick's,Kent's, everyone elses plan right?
(Just testing the waters, if you don't like it- then be pissed at them.)
"Tier 1's", as they are called, are at a serious disadvantage in this situation, and the forum floggings will continue until they get the picture.
I did my part by bringing it to everyone's attention, and its up to you, the "pro" kiters and "hanger-on'rs" to start showing some care for our access. Its not newbies that are the problem, its you guys.
Rock on B-ros.

b-rad 03-13-2008 11:39 AM

Yo Bobby, Ian...it will be out this weekend...love you both long time...

Magnum...they are friends...no arguments there...

If you have been around a while you would know we have done events at the sandbar and will be doing them again...

I don't have time right now to address every silly issue you bring up...you are making fun of lots of hard work and friends...

got to go...

Magnum T.I. 03-13-2008 02:32 PM

Actually I Didnt make fun of ANY hard work or friends. I even gave you some ideas.
I bagged on Bobby for sticking up for you at the wrong time.
As far as silly issues goes, I merely addressed a problem with a little humor. I have/will spare you of pointing out every "silly issue" I got you on and you confirmed. There's plenty.
Let's just call this water under the B-ridge, and call it even.

If I wasn't on your side then I would have taped it- and been sportin' some new neoprene, courtesy of Kent's offer for taping kooky behavior.(All Florida Contest thread). I wouldn't do that to a fellow kiter, period. I just shook my head and left...

I did goof on you,the "experts", and their new "system", because if they are not going to back up what they say, then its all just a big joke. High profile riders, shops, and schools have the burden in this situation, not safe kiters and hecklers like me. Just letting them know that we are willing to try their idea-IF THEY have the nuggets to back it up..I have SERIOUS doubts that sponsored riders, will ever lose their hook up because I know those friendships run deep and thats not likely to change, so therefore the "system" is not likely to work.
Hopefully 3 things happen from this thread:
1. The slider and kicker gets moved to the sandbar.
2. ALL Leaders think about the responsibility they carry to LEAD BY EXAMPLE.
3. Hot Doggers/Pros/Kooks realize that they are in the spotlight now more than ever- and will possibly be called out for riding too close to shore. It can be seriously funny, or just serious without the funny, but it's very easy to address publicly.
Kite safe

kitehigh911 03-13-2008 03:24 PM

sliders

dont be hatin if the kicker and slider are close to the beach

Magnum T.I. 03-13-2008 03:39 PM

Thank you for galvanizing my point Kitehigh...
If you didn't understand it, sorry about your luck.
Share the Stroke:(

ricki 03-13-2008 03:40 PM

How far (how many kite line lengths) should sliders and particularly kickers be from shore and bystanders? How much distance do you need to burn up a messed up kiteloop in higher wind? What about using protective gear? Opinions?

kitehigh911 03-13-2008 09:07 PM

kite

i dont know just dont crash

Bobby 03-13-2008 10:25 PM

Rick I, its all about trial and error.

Bobby 03-13-2008 10:30 PM

As for Magnum the kiter policeman... come session the kicker with us this weekend. ive got somethin you can stroke

Brad, ill be down there friday-sunday.. I see theres no wind but hey, I got a place to stay in Big pine anyways. I dont know if you are headed to the collegian in key west, but I will stop by on the way down. Also Im bringing the ski, we can session the slider for a bit if its out. I wanna right on the wakeboard boat tho. So get ready to get stoked, and Ill cya down there.
Give ya a call tommorrow

Peace

ricki 03-13-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby (Post 30450)
Rick I, its all about trial and error.

Kickers and sliders have been used in kiting for a long time. I first saw them used in competition in 2003 in Corpus Christi during the Velocity Games. I recall Best constructed some in 2004 for use in the Keys. I think it is safe to say the days of trial and error are well past. So, how about some numbers? I can throw some out but where is the fun in that, I always put out guidelines, for many years. Some other guys should take a turn.

http://gallery.kiteforum.com/albums/...TICKS_IT_s.jpg
Anyone remember this shot of the legend himself?

how about this one of Andy Hurdman?

http://gallery.kiteforum.com/albums/...SH_S.sized.jpg

or this one of Jon Modica in 2004 in the Keys?

http://gallery.kiteforum.com/albums/...46_s.sized.jpg

Blasts from the past

b-rad 03-14-2008 08:59 AM

As for distances from shore...it depends...

Obviously, you want them far enough away where you can fall, drag, drag and drag some more and still not hit land. It depends on the wind angle too. If it is side shore then they can obviously be closer to land (same with your jumps) and still be a safe distance away. (this was the case with the session Magnum is referring to above...but to the novice kiter it may look too close...I don't know if Magnum is novice, but he is acting like one) If it is on shore...you want at least a few line lengths...more if its really windy...and it depends on the rail, kicker and the shoreline too...and whose hitting them.

It could also be safer to have them in closer (within safe distance) where someone can run out and help a busted person out.

If it's offshore...heck, build it from the shore...

b-rad 03-14-2008 09:07 AM

oh yeah...bobby, the boat is in and the wawa is flat...

not sure if we're heading down...lots of lessons and stuff up here...and S makes smathers small fast...and I think nobody can ride...

if its south on sat we might put the slider really close to shore and hit it going out...the kicker too...

ricki 03-14-2008 10:20 AM

Sounds reasonable, distance is your friend in this sport, particularly when things go south. If you are only going 20 mph you are still eating up 30 ft. per second say while burning up an out of control kiteloop. Also, you don't want your kite coming close to overflying spectators onshore even if a kicker to kiteloop(s) gets stretched out. Setting up out of the way with three line lengths, ideally more depending on wind speed, direction, type of moves and nearshore traffic seems like a good starting point.

As far as offshore winds, as long as the kicker guys don't land through nearshore traffic and you have enough clean wind going closer should be less significant. Even in the flat Keys, don't you normally want to be about far off, approaching a 1/2 mile for cleaner winds on offshore days? That should limit nearshore congestion too.

Thanks for your input Brad. You have had this gear in place longer than anyone else I can think of in South Florida.

Magnum T.I. 03-14-2008 10:21 AM

Now I REALLY tried to quit bagging on you guys already, I really did.
Dumb replies get more smashing. You guys really should be wearing helmets, all tht crashing is affecting your ability to think and respond with sensible answers...
No thanks on sharing the stroke B-obby, I don't like group sex...
Side shore again?
B-Rad, first it was side shore, then side on... Let's call it side-on-on and I might agree with ya.
Assuming I am a newbie, wouldn't a slider pointed DIRECTLY at the beach be ridden in an "onshore wind"? Seems to me that side shore winds would have turned the slider parallel to the beach and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I heard the "we need to be close to the beach in case we get hurt" arguement many times, and my answer is this: Helmet,vest, and rigging your safety properly greatly reduces your chance of injury. Take the distance traveled from any kitemare or broken bridle scenario and apply it to the day in question. Thank goodness for those palm trees, or you would be in the parking lot.
And BTW, I'm not the "kite police", this is our first real try at self regulation.
Kent- Do you have those suits in Magnum-size? Next time, I'll just roll tape...
(You can hate me if you want for slamming you, but I actually did you ALL a big favor and saved you from REAL embarrasment. At least I have the sack to speak up about it....
Rick-
Normal kiting is 300' (100m)from shore, right?
onshore/ high winds add 200'
extreme riding (loops,sliders, etc) add 100
rigged suicide add 100
Thats 700' on any given sunday(onshore,windy)... probably about the distance to the_____.
side/side off winds could be much closer of course.
Later

kitehigh911 03-14-2008 09:54 PM

kite

drop it magnum

b-rad 03-14-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum T.I. (Post 30485)
Now I REALLY tried to quit bagging on you guys already, I really did.
Dumb replies get more smashing. You guys really should be wearing helmets, all tht crashing is affecting your ability to think and respond with sensible answers...
No thanks on sharing the stroke B-obby, I don't like group sex...
Side shore again?
B-Rad, first it was side shore, then side on... Let's call it side-on-on and I might agree with ya.
Assuming I am a newbie, wouldn't a slider pointed DIRECTLY at the beach be ridden in an "onshore wind"? Seems to me that side shore winds would have turned the slider parallel to the beach and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I heard the "we need to be close to the beach in case we get hurt" arguement many times, and my answer is this: Helmet,vest, and rigging your safety properly greatly reduces your chance of injury. Take the distance traveled from any kitemare or broken bridle scenario and apply it to the day in question. Thank goodness for those palm trees, or you would be in the parking lot.
And BTW, I'm not the "kite police", this is our first real try at self regulation.
Kent- Do you have those suits in Magnum-size? Next time, I'll just roll tape...
(You can hate me if you want for slamming you, but I actually did you ALL a big favor and saved you from REAL embarrasment. At least I have the sack to speak up about it....
Rick-
Normal kiting is 300' (100m)from shore, right?
onshore/ high winds add 200'
extreme riding (loops,sliders, etc) add 100
rigged suicide add 100
Thats 700' on any given sunday(onshore,windy)... probably about the distance to the_____.
side/side off winds could be much closer of course.
Later

I've got three things to say to that...

1st of all, as for as the direction of the wind that day...you're right, the rail was pointed directly at the shoreline...and it was set up slightly downwind...(that means as you approach it, you bear off the wind a bit) It was pretty close to across the wind...which would point it directly at the shore...also we were making tacks to the back of Bobby's sailboat from the launch...so call that wind direction whatever you want but that's the direction of the day...

2nd, this isn't our "first real try at self regulation" we have been doing that down here since 1999...it might be YOUR first real try at self regulation...and a weak one at that...

3rd...I wouldn't be talking so much about having sac while you are still speaking anonymously...

Magnum T.I. 03-15-2008 02:10 AM

props neil.....

lets just call them out....

it will make us all more responsible kiters....

I got your back, and will help you get numbnuts off your beach...there are plenty of laws pertaining to unsafe activity, public nusiance, potentially dangerous behavior....

maybe some officers reading this can give us some laws we can use to help us enforce our safety rules....

there are too many of us whose world would change if we couldn't kite...

so just to be clear...if you kite in Islamorada and you are a jackass...I will put your picture and a description of what you did everywhere...accidents can happen...sure, we are all human...but there is a difference between an accident and a donkey...we won't be stupid about this, but if you have no respect for all the work we have done...you're gone...

ride as hard as you ever have....just do it offshore...

Sound familiar?
(My advice to you is quit while you're B-hind, before I really embarass you.)
Water under the B-ridge, whaddya say pal?

b-rad 03-15-2008 08:46 AM

not sure how you think that embarrasses me...

there is a difference between an accident and a donkey...

which donkey do you want to call out from that session...because there were no accidents...

and go ahead...I'm a big boy...really embarrass me...

It still looks a little bad to be talking trash without a name...so anytime you really want to grow a sac, play in the big leagues and tell us who you are...go ahead...