FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Course Racing (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5638)

Sam 01-27-2008 09:47 PM

Course Racing

Hey so I was planning on running an informal course racing series, very informal but for those of you who dont know course racing has been big in san fransisco and there are some other areas around the country so why not bring some of it to tampa. looking to just take a quick poll to see whos intrested. just planning to do 3 or 4 races about 15 min per race or less. long enough to be intresting but not to take up the whole day. I would keep all of the scores and tally up the overall results. mabye 3 different dates and try to give a few days notice. scoring format would be similar to sailing's low point scoring system (first is one point, second is two points...and add all of your total daily scores together and the winner has the least amount of points.) planning on having a start sequence on the water and courseswould be trapezoids or triangles. if theres decent wind this week I would be willing to put together a trial run later this weekto get the kinks worked. I would perfer to hold it on a flatwater spot like skyway but have acess to a boat so once everything is running smooth could hold one or two in the gulf to mix things up a bit. if theres enough intrest, I will organize the rest and put something together. let me know what you all think and post suggestions or any other comments. this would be free or if intrested bring a 6 pack and the top 3 from the day can divide it up accordingly.

BigR 01-28-2008 06:27 AM

Cool, let us know when.

Sam 01-28-2008 08:07 AM

definatly. going to try to hold the first one on a weekend but we will see what the wind brings. will keep you all posted.

BigR 01-28-2008 08:17 AM

A big advantage in course racing is if you can use a good directional board, it gives you more upwind / downwind angles as well as low end

Skyway Scott 01-28-2008 08:31 AM

I loved that first one Sam. I am more than interested.

Steve-O 01-28-2008 08:55 AM

Count me in. I would love to learn more about course racing.

Skyway Scott 01-28-2008 09:16 AM

Anyone reading that might not think it's fun. Just give it one try.
It was ten times more fun than I ever would have imagined, and I came in last!! :)

toby wilson 01-28-2008 10:11 AM

I don't know, I'd just make you all look bad and I really don't want to feel responsible for that... ;)

TritonKiteboarding 01-28-2008 10:37 AM

quad fin directionals dominated in san fran this summer, upwindability is hands down what wins the race.

BigR 01-28-2008 10:52 AM

Toby doesn't stand a chance........

I've got two quad fin directionals; a 5'5" and a 5'9".
the 5'5" is faster with little rocker but the 5'9" is better at upwind

Time to lay down your wagers, a six of negra modelo is mine