FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   whats up with the wind lately??? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2747)

inferno 12-08-2006 10:45 AM

whats up with the wind lately???

is it just me, did i loss my mojo???? or has the past couple windy days been really gusty and felt like it has had holes all over the place????

at least were getting wind, i just wish it was cleaner (glad i got a bow kite :)

TampaBay Noob 12-08-2006 10:58 AM

Nah, it's just the wind. Yesterday it was gusty as hell, it really seemed like one big gust the way they were rolling in back-to-back. Very challenging indeed.

bryanleighty 12-08-2006 11:18 AM

i think you lost your mojo.

ha.

actually the wind has been odd the last few times I've been out. lots and lots of gusts .. powered and suddenly underpowered... got a couple nice lofts in the middle of jumps and also went to throw a couple only to have it die out as i'm sending the kite and ... nothing..

bow kites do make it easier to handle .. today would have been brutal for me on a C with how up and down it was..

i did one tack and as i turned and moved the kite across the sky the wind kicked in and it ripped me off my board.. i was near the far shore line and luckily was on soft mucky sand.. i avoided the far shore line the rest of the session scared to have that happen near rocks.

yikes.

toby wilson 12-08-2006 12:53 PM

Glad you're okay Bryan. Scares like that suck but at least they keep you respecting Mother Nature... :D

bryanleighty 12-08-2006 01:03 PM

true true true..

when it happened it was nothing.. but after i got to thinking how it could have been vicious if it had happened just about 20 feet upwind of where i was.

i got jacked off my board last January.. C kite.. gust and got lofted at cypress .. was out in the water and just happened to come down on the small sandbar .. tons and tons of deep water in every direction and i get lifted and dropped in 3 inches of water..

scared me really good and gave my body a jolt that took many days of advil to get over.. luckily nothing more than that.. but i still remember the absolute helpless feeling of having no say in what was going on ..

Skyway Scott 12-08-2006 06:58 PM

North wind in St. Pete in the winter is pretty much always gusty, especially at North Skyway "normal side". Lots of holes.
Thank goodness for the newer kites which make it more tolerable.
The south side was alot better today, but man it came in waves over there.