FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   anyone see.. (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7040)

JoshTaylor 08-19-2008 12:29 AM

anyone see..

the idiot get thrown down the beach and into the road on baynews9?

was in miami, it looked WINDY. he got yanked a good 25 feet up and like 50 feet onto the sand at probably about 35mph. then thrown again into the road

i have it recored on my cable box, can't find it on their website.

Skyway Scott 08-19-2008 12:39 AM

That will probably be national tomorrow morning.

windrad 08-19-2008 05:04 AM

Nasty

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...43914&src=news

jaco 08-19-2008 05:35 AM

was national last night

Brian360 08-19-2008 05:45 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfxTuWJyk5I

Skyway Scott 08-19-2008 07:11 AM

Does anyone know if it made the national news, like CNN or similar? I hope not, although I can't see the news passing this footage up.
No doubt it's gonna spread like a virus on YouTube. :mad:

Skyway Scott 08-19-2008 07:36 AM

I just read on EK that Pat saw it on CNN.

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay 08-19-2008 07:43 AM

Yes, thats what a kitemare looks like. This one just happened to be caught on tape and is now circulating the globe on T.V. which is not good for us. Imagine what city officials are thinking, they are watching too...

Place that one at the Skyway and he would have been facing 70mph cars.
No doubt about it.
At East Beach,he would have been either into parked cars or into the mangroves.
IRB? 2nd floor of a buliding.
Think about where you ride and factor in the distance.
It could happen to any one of us.
Best of luck to the injured kiter.
Be safe.

Rodan'sWings 08-19-2008 07:46 AM

Wow. very scary. I hope hes going to be OK. Anyone know if that 1st shot of a rider in the water was the same guy? He was on what looked like an old green Slingshot C-kite and surfboard.

Whitey 08-19-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiteboarding Tampa Bay (Post 35946)
Yes, thats what a kitemare looks like. This one just happened to be caught on tape and is now circulating the globe on T.V. which is not good for us. Imagine what city officials are thinking, they are watching too...

Place that one at the Skyway and he would have been facing 70mph cars.
No doubt about it.
At East Beach,he would have been either into parked cars or into the mangroves.
IRB? 2nd floor of a buliding.
Think about where you ride and factor in the distance.
It could happen to any one of us.
Best of luck to the injured kiter.
Be safe.

Please don't go past the post above with out picking up the most important thing you can learn from watching this video.

"Think about where you ride and factor in the distance."

If you watch closely you can see that the riders inital flight started way up wind he had tons of clear unobstructed beach down wind of him and he ate that distance up before you can say release. Try to picture this event in your mind happening at your local launch site.

BigR 08-19-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

If you watch closely you can see that the riders inital flight started way up wind he had tons of clear unobstructed beach down wind of him and he ate that distance up before you can say release

Exactly, looks like he was at the waters edge when he first took off/

The other guy that had his kite low was way more inland.

The beach there in ft laud. is tiki beach with about 100- ft from waters edge to hwy A1A

Erick 08-19-2008 08:43 AM

I was listening to the MJ Morning Show while driving to work and he was talking about the incident. What a scary situation for this guy I just got to see the video.

Very lucky to be alive IMO.

Skyway Scott 08-19-2008 08:44 AM

I think that illustrates clearly why you should never leave the water in the first place to land a kite in hairy wind. "Distance is your friend" in my mind has always meant distance from shore. Once you hit land, you are no longer safe, whatsoever.

If anyone ever gets caught in a strong gust while on the water in the future, please let coming ashore be the last thought on your mind.
If you know people are ready to land you, make every effort to have them grab your kite at water's edge, while you remain in the water.

If no one is onshore to grab your kite and you are getting pulled close to land, release the kite to it's safety line (some kites are 5th, some rear, some front) before you hit shore. Then be ready for the kite to light up (spin around, do weird stuff). If it does look like it is going to whack you, release your leash and say "bye bye" to the kite before it gets the chance. Do everything possible to avoid making contact with land with a "live kite" in heavy wind. The video shows clearly that any distance (would 1,000 yards have mattered?) on land with a live kite is not safe in really strong wind.

I really hope this rider survives. It's hard to believe he only had bruises and "maybe some broken bones" as mentioned in the news.

Danimal8199 08-19-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 35955)
It's hard to believe he only had bruises and "maybe some broken bones" as mentioned in the news.

I thought he was listen in critical condition????

If anyone has more info on this guy please post.

This clip give his name: http://www.weather.com/multimedia/vi...rom=hp_video_4

Skyway Scott 08-19-2008 10:27 AM

I think he is. I read that on KiteForum. The initial news report I saw says something like - "His friends say he is okay, just some bad bruises" (?)
I was scratching my head on that one.

Sorry, I didn't mean to pass misinformation.

WindRyder 08-19-2008 10:32 AM

When I first watched the video clip, the one with the newscaster calling the injured kiter a parasailer, he mentioned that the friends had commented that the kiter was conscious and talking. I wonder if they were trying to downplay the severity of the situation, because they too, were in shock. What a shame.
You guys,please be careful down there. We are expecting some decent wind in the panhandle, but are all on edge regarding this incident. I know that some guys have posted that they are hitting the Skyway, I hope that they are safe.

Danimal8199 08-19-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindRyder (Post 35969)
I know that some guys have posted that they are hitting the Skyway

After seeing this guy hit that building and sidewalk I would not want to hit the skyway, I'm pretty sure that would hurt just as bad :)

WindRyder 08-19-2008 11:04 AM

Lol!!

bryanleighty 08-19-2008 11:18 AM

WOAHHH!!

link is now posted on The Drudge Report..
the most visited site on the internet aside from Google..

welcome to tons of unwanted attention..

so glad the guy is alive.

Skyway Scott 08-19-2008 11:32 AM

That's the most unreal footage of a single person getting hurt (on anything) in years. It's gonna get a ton of play and be the talk of just about every coffee break in the U.S. for the next couple days.

Too bad for us. Now reporters will no doubt hunt down other stories, like in Brazil and Tarifa and run with it.
You guys know how news works. If something gets ratings, prepare to see spin offs of it everywhere (for ratings).
The next story more titillating than the prior.
It won't surprise me if in 3 weeks (it takes time to make a show) there is a "news" show on the dangers of kiting to cash in on this internet buzz. :(

Rodan'sWings 08-19-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanleighty (Post 35976)
WOAHHH!!

welcome to tons of unwanted attention..

so glad the guy is alive.

Although, maybe now newbies will know what to expect with or without instruction, the latest in safety gear and experience. Other than the 200 Ft, Maui loft circa 2003, and a few others, we havent had any scary footage of the dangers of kiteboarding.

oldschool 08-19-2008 04:19 PM

scott's 2nd last post about staying off-shore ...

hey scott - that is some damn good advice - i just copied it and sent it to some buddies up north

Whitey 08-19-2008 05:43 PM

It's very good advice. We just had a great day at east beach today with 7 guys there and we all landed our kites at the waters edge with the rider as far off shore as possible. We also as a group would come to shore and land our kites when we saw the bands of extra low clouds coming across the skyway towards us. If they hit and didn't rock our world we all launched and went back to riding. We had one guy come in and park his truck close to the water, I ask him to consider moving it and explained the reasons. He completley understood and was very cool to move it up wind of us. It was a great day. Very safe group of people to ride with.

Steve-O 08-19-2008 07:47 PM

The entire situation has me beyond frustration. But after much thought today....people are going to do what they want to do. Unfortunately Kevin and all of us will suffer the consequences of a completely avoidable accident. It is one thing to get caught off guard by a surprise squall, it is quite another to ride on the east side of a tropical storm and so close to the center of circulation with clear weather warnings.

Just a question to all riders that rode today. The conditions looked awesome. The radar was relatively clear and the wind readings were pretty steady all day. If you had the option to ride the Skyway (onshore with hard downwind obstacles) vs. East Beach (sideshore with plenty of downwind room for error), then why increase your risk at the skyway on a day of increased weather risks? Scott always preaches that room is your friend. Amen to that brotha!!!!

There are a group of seasoned veteran riders out there that when given the choice, choose East Beach as the safer location on a NE wind. Not trying to make a huge debate, but wouldn't the risk of injury be higher at the Skyway if something were to go wrong? Take that kiter in the news and loft him onto a car driving on the Skyway and you will have a news story for the masses. Most days, the Skyway is a low risk situation, but a day like today is why I pose the question. I definately think today was an acceptable day to ride for experienced kiters, but is the Skyway the best choice? Food for thought.

C. Moore 08-19-2008 08:21 PM

Steve-O,

I and a handful of others rode the skyway today. I would say that everyone that I saw out there stayed way up wind and there wasn't more than 6 people on the water at one time. Everyone seemed to be on the look out for each other by launching and landing kites. I know at times when I was coming to land my kite, I kept my hand on my QR in case something happened.

Al-kite-a, CrazyJ Chris, and I did a DW from Gandy to Lassing. I saw at least 20 Nurse Sharks out there today along the flats and the biggest I saw was close to four foot. We decided a DW run would be the safest thing to do with the conditions that were out there today. Nothing but wide open water in front of you in case anything nasty came through. Usually heavy rain and squalls are on the eastern side of a TS or Hurricane. So we knew the winds were going to be steady and somewhat safe but it never hurts to expect the worst.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Kevin. It sucks to have the media exploit this accident to make him look like an idiot. Lets just all learn from of it and be safe. This accident for the media is our 3 mile island and it will be around for quite sometime. Let us all refrain from talking to the media as they will twist this around and write it as they see fit.

Kevin I wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Sincerly

Skyway Scott 08-19-2008 09:27 PM

I didn't ride the SW today. I couldn't tell if that was the question.
Glad no one got hurt today.

Danimal8199 08-19-2008 09:40 PM

I rode the skyway but only as a last choice when the wind direction switched from ne to dead n making east beach unridable.

Good time at the skyway but will never argue that I'd rather be riding at east beach!

Chedder 08-19-2008 09:47 PM

I'm in Australia and saw it on the news

See you fellas in a couple days when I'm back from OZ. Got some wind here today too. 20kts

amber 08-19-2008 11:31 PM

i was at skyway from about 9 til 2 and the conditions seemed less intense than a really windy day in the winter. There were definitely some gusts but MOST everyone that was out there when I was definitely stayed on the side of caution and stayed away from shore and weren't even pulling their best tricks. I'm sure you will be able to see from my pictures that the wind looked a lot lighter than most of us expected. Everyone was definitely looking out for each other. Media was at the skyway both this morning and this afternoon. Steve had a great idea and asked the reporter to run her article past him before publishing to make sure she had her facts right. I thought that was one of the best ways to prevent the misconceptions, although they always end up making crap up anyway. if anyone approaches you from the media regarding the accident in Ft. Laud., perhaps we can all refer them to a local media/safety spokesperson such as Scott or Steve in order to prevent as much bad press as we can??

bayflite 08-19-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-O (Post 36004)
Skyway (onshore with hard downwind obstacles) vs. East Beach (sideshore with plenty of downwind room for error)

actually... e beach was prolly offshore winds today and skyway was side-on.
steve-o,
kiters are not good at being told "hey capt dip sh1t...don't you see how stupid you are?"
i've witnessed questionable kiting practices by ALL the handwringers.
get ready to be even more frustrated.
but dude... lets jam sometime.
peace

Skyway Scott 08-19-2008 11:50 PM

I take that as a very nice compliment that you would say that Amber.
I think we have a bunch of people that could do a great job.

I spoke a reporter last year after the CK power line incident and he twisted everything I said.
Then they sent a lady out to "talk about the safety stuff". Yeah, right. Al, Bob and I did safety stuff for ten minutes and they clipped it all out.
I don't think it matters who talks to them. Maybe "how" though. I would record the interview.
That way if they seriously misquote you, you have it on tape. I couldn't believe the stuff the guy whipped outta hiz as.s. last year. :(

Steve-O 08-20-2008 07:32 AM

Just throwin out things to think about. Spoke to some riders from East Beach yesterday, and the wind didn't get side off until late in the day. That is beside the point.

I always look for the best possible riding scenerio. That's just me. On an E or NE I always choose EB. For me, it feels like the safer option.

Yes, the wind was fine yesterday, but what if a nasty squall came through and caught just one off guard. That is all it takes right.....just one incident.

On those evenings of huge spikes out of the East, it seems riders at the Skyway are always the ones to suffer. Dragged onshore, released kites going over the interstate.
Remember the kid that got dragged into the rocks? The only reason Chris got into his mess last year at Dunedin was other riders were riding that spot and made it seem acceptable and ok. Well, those riders don't ride there anymore. They have images of Chris to remind them that it's a bad idea to ride the north side of the causeway.

The scene at Tiki beach was about as gruesome as it gets according to Neil. It has changed him, and how he is going to do things down there. One incident can have that kind of impact.

The biggest thing I have gained from the incident, is to spend a bit more time training new students about bad weather and what to look for. We should all make an effort to continue spreading the word about our weather. Scott and many others are leaders out there trying to get the word out especially as it is happening. Kevin is likely that rider that has been told 1000 times, but just doesn't listen. Well, he might listen now if he makes it through. Some have to learn things the hard way.

Skyway Scott 08-20-2008 09:24 AM

If you want to really affect change locally Steve-O, you have the opportunity. WSW sponsors several local riders. I encourage you to put your efforts toward making them the absolute best role models possible.
If they prove to fall short, simply take away the sponsorship.

Once others witness WSW sponsored riders practicing what you preach, it will surely have a positive impact.

It's fairly obvious that this approach could work nationwide to affect rider behavior. What's not obvious is anyone actually doing it.

kitekristrudo 08-20-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-O (Post 36030)
Just throwin out things to think about. Spoke to some riders from East Beach yesterday, and the wind didn't get side off until late in the day. That is beside the point.

I always look for the best possible riding scenerio. That's just me. On an E or NE I always choose EB. For me, it feels like the safer option.

East Beach is covered with palm trees, steel signs, steel poles, channel markers, and cars very close to shore. I was always taught it is an advanced riding location due to the obstacles. As far as I remember there have been more serious accidents at East Beach than at the skyway. Some required an ambulance and one a helicopter. Isn't that where bayflite earned his unfortunate nick name? As far as I am concerned both locations are dangerous regardless of wind direction because wind direction can change in an instant especially if it is a squall.

Quote:

The scene at Tiki beach was about as gruesome as it gets according to Neil. It has changed him, and how he is going to do things down there.
Have you ever heard the phrase a day late and a dollar short?

inferno 08-20-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitekristrudo (Post 36037)
East Beach is covered with palm trees, steel signs, steel poles, channel markers, and cars very close to shore. I was always taught it is an advanced riding location due to the obstacles. As far as I remember there have been more serious accidents at East Beach than at the skyway. Some required an ambulance and one a helicopter. Isn't that where bayflite earned his unfortunate nick name? As far as I am concerned both locations are dangerous regardless of wind direction because wind direction can change in an instant especially if it is a squall.

the reason EB has had the most accidents is because it has the most people riding it.... simple as that

and i think the point stevo was trying to make (atleast what i was thinking) was that on a NE wind, EB is sideshore, this means that is a strong gust hits and you lose control, you get drug along the shoreline instead of onshore like at the skyway..... much safer

and even though there are signs and trees... its still in my opinion one of the safer places to ride... i cant think of a safer place off the top of my head...

beaches have people and deep water
LP is onshore
SW has rocks
Sunset has a small launch area

maybe north beach (if theres not alot of people)

kitekristrudo 08-20-2008 09:58 AM

They are both side shore in NE. But to tell the truth the skyway safety subject seems like it was meant to be an insult to one particular person or group of people who ride at the skyway. Thats how it seems to me.

inferno 08-20-2008 10:00 AM

SW is not really side shore on a NE... more side on.... (depending where you launch from)

bayflite 08-20-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitekristrudo (Post 36037)
Have you ever heard the phrase a day late and a dollar short?

thats a little xtreme dude.

Danimal8199 08-20-2008 12:43 PM

I wouldn't take anything Steve-O says as insulting. He is a very safety oriented rider who I have ridden with on many occasions.

His point is, if you have two places to ride the same wind direction and one is safer than the other, why go ride in a riskier spot?

I'd rather run into a palm tree or sign at east beach than the mangroves, rocks, or multiple roads at the skyway. There is a very close access road, an on ramp to 275, and 275 itself with cars doing 70+. Not much room for error.

There have been some bad accidents at the skyway as well as east beach, the extent of damage for ones self at the skyway could very well be beyong the scope of what anyone has seen before if the right conditions are present...

I posted earlier that I rode the skyway yesterday and I did this ONLY because you can't ride EB on a straight north wind.

amber 08-20-2008 04:03 PM

we've had the east beach vs. skyway discussion before. I personally choose not to ride at skyway because for ME, it makes me nervous that there is a smaller window of error. When it comes down to it, we are all adults and as long as people are aware of possible hazards at launches (if you're not sure, ASK!) they will make choices that not everyone agrees with.

Everyone should make it a habit to ask experienced riders about potential hazards anytime you're at a new launch.