FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Early next week? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4612)

bryanleighty 09-13-2007 09:24 AM

Early next week?

looking possible...?.. ikite showing some stronger NE.

Skyway Scott 09-13-2007 09:27 AM

iKite forecast

inferno 09-13-2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyway Scott (Post 23054)
iKite forecast

is that an oxymoron???

Skyway Scott 09-13-2007 09:28 AM

I don't know what that means. It has moron in it, so probably.
We are pretty hard on Ikan'tsurf. Maybe we should back off?
That'd be cool if a NE came. More sunset/night rides.
It's the best direction for the 9 to 5'er.

inferno 09-13-2007 09:57 AM

cant wait for my DP's to start up again :)

bryanleighty 09-13-2007 11:30 AM

Im getting psyched as well!

looking at wind history for Sept 2006.. only about 4 or 5 days of consistent looking winds (per skyway graphs).. a few big evening E days.. but from these graphs it was pretty bleak.

we've had 6 days this Sept that are around the 20mph mark so far..

oct 2006 shows about 16 days around the 20 mark.. quite a number of mornings that tapered off at mid-day.. quite a number that are 20+ and strong all day..

Nov about the same as Oct... some very windy days.

and so on and so on..

soon ..

Skyway Scott 09-13-2007 11:38 AM

Don't forget Bryan,

Last year the SW sensor had a VERY strong tendency to stay pegged all day long at 17 knots regardless of the actual wind where we ride. If you were to sit at the SW on these days, it very rarely (it did a few times) but rarely blew all day from the East or NE. It's more likely to slow by 11am and then fill in again about 2 hours before sunset. So, don't trust the wind history from the SW is my point.

The only wind directions (typically) that it will blow good all day are a true NW cold front and those SSE switching to SSW days at EB (these days tend to be the draw before the coldfront, with a strong t'band just to our north). Amazingly, we had a TON of those days (either NW or SSE) last year on the weekends..... 17 weekends in a row, as I remember. Pretty unreal.

This year the SW sensor seems to be reading about 4 knots high but is consistent and is not getting pegged, which is good. :)

bryanleighty 09-13-2007 12:37 PM

scott / danny.. (and/or anyone else that would care to join in).. lets try to keep track of our kite sessions for this up coming season.. starting from now just try to take note of any day you get out to ride.. wind speeds, kites used, location, count of other kites in the air and any other details..

i know that if you have a gmail email account it has a built in online calendar that you can share out.. easy to use and update..

thoughts?

Skyway Scott 09-13-2007 12:55 PM

That's a great idea. I always try to get wind speed details from people every day they ride. I don't write it down, but take mental notes. It helps give a feel for patterns over time by doing this. Maybe just use the let's ride area and post short sesh reports.

BigR 09-13-2007 01:20 PM

Cool, a sess counter

bryanleighty 09-13-2007 01:47 PM

im going to try to keep a log.. do my best.. i always post on the forum (im slightly addicted obviously).. but i really want to try to keep a more detailed log and see how it looks at the end of the season. plus the forum could take a dive and lose posts, etc..

nothing too fancy.. but maybe could find some good cross referenced days where its blowing 25 at one spot and 15 at another and find some sort of trend..

im certain it will be interesting...

Sean B 09-13-2007 01:49 PM

I can contribute north county sess reports, as I usually do anyways. :p I'm out there quite a bit.

Steve-O 09-13-2007 03:36 PM

Count me in too, I spend quite a bit of time up north but venture to the south as well. I could definately benefit from the study of our microweather and patterns as I see the entire county as a place to ride.

On that note, there was a day last year that was really interesting. Was at Honeymoon for the morning and it was blasting out of the SW. I am sure it was going off everywhere. However, a big frontal storm came through and killed it. Waited there for an hour or two to see if it would fill in and never did. Very cloudy and absolutely no wind. Called some guys on the way home at East Beach and they reported sunny and blowing 20+ still out of the SSW.

Sure enough on my drive to East Beach the clouds lessened, the sun came out and the wind was there until dark. Amazing what a 45 minute drive can do. The frontal boundary I think literally stalled around north county with clear skies to the south.

shogun1204 09-13-2007 04:12 PM

Blow

Well It needs to blow Next Weekend!!!!! Linda and I will be down for some family stuff, but will have the gear in the truck! Watch out the PC Royal Era Kite crew is coming to town!!!!!! If it blows and anyone want to try out the new Royal Era kite just let me know, we have the 8, 10, and 12!

popeye 09-13-2007 07:05 PM

Sweet you have the Era's? I thought you were into Eclipse. I rode the 14 and it was pretty good. It definitely does not go upwind as well as some other kites (waroos,hypertype,etc) but it jumps really well (better than the waroo) and pulls like a truck.

Once you get used to it, it's a really fun kite. I would definitely consider one for my next kite.

shogun1204 09-13-2007 07:18 PM

Nope

Nope, you must be thinking of someone else. I rode the 15 Hyper, 13 ozone, and 9 Atom last year. Loved them all, but really like the Hyper the most! Plus my girl loves the Era kites too and we just share the quiver.

Unimog Bob 09-13-2007 07:22 PM

Accuweather is calling for 16mph on Sunday!!

Woodson 09-14-2007 07:53 AM

Share your calendar:

Good idea Brian. My gmail address is "bryancwoods". You can send an invite to share your calendar. I'm interested in knowing how much people are getting out and I'm not aware, times, locations, etc.

Skyway Scott 09-16-2007 01:35 PM

That first night we rode the Era kite was messed up Tom, I still can't figure it out. It left me with a horrible first impression.
I am confident the Era goes upwind as well as the Hyper after Bob and I rode them at the same time, both on Glides, and we held identical tacks (several times with different windspeeds that day). Unless something really weird happens with a sleeper kite coming out of nowhere that's really good, I am getting a 14m Royal. Thanks to Bob's demos, I now realize it's an improvement over the Hyper.

bryanleighty 09-16-2007 04:19 PM

what about the hyper2?

kite looks amazing in the graphics dept.

there are so many quality kites out these days.. its a tough call to plunk down that much money..

Skyway Scott 09-16-2007 05:48 PM

I don't know. The Hypers are definitely the coolest looking kites, imo.
I don't know if EK is getting them or not. The RRD website is confusing. It sounds like the Type 9 is the Hyper's replacement and that the Hyper II is a "beginner kite" unless I read it wrong.