FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   ** KITER BUZZ ** (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   IMPT. - LBTS Access (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8210)

ricki 04-29-2009 08:44 AM

IMPT. - LBTS Access

Many thanks to the seventeen folks that came out to the Lauderdale By-The-Sea (LBTS) commission meeting last night in support of kiting. We could sure use more people with your commitment and drive! I heard about it late that afternoon (thanks to Lia of Best!) and came in at around 8 pm as it was far down the agenda. We were first told the subject would be tabled for discussion until the next meeting after sitting there for several hours. Fortunately, it was brought up for discussion anyway at around 11 pm.

Concerns were expressed by the commissioners about several things including:

1. Kiteboarders launching, landing and riding too close to bystanders.
2. Unlicensed kiteboarding instruction (at Daman's?) without permits and in an unsafe manner.

The days of riding along the shore in and out of bathers, running kites over peoples heads should have stopped years ago. It definitely needs to stop now.

If the beach is too crowded to safely set up and ride, IT IS TOO CROWDED, go someplace else.

Students and new kiters usually lack proper kite control. They need to be well away from bystanders along with their instructors.

Instruction is a business, businesses need occupational permits, insurance, lesson plans are good too, etc.. Bottom line, without these things, there should be NO kiteboarding instruction in LBTS.

There was still more discussed but those are some of the high points. We have a month before the next Commission Meeting to come up with some viable solutions to the problem. We are planning a meeting of concerned kiteboarders to discuss issues and how to preserve access on the evening of Tuesday, May 5, 2009. Location to be announced here soon.

Input?

Chefmini 04-29-2009 11:51 AM

Rick, I am a new kiteboarder to the scene and did my second lesson there this past January. My first was up at Jupiter Kiteboarding. Decided to take a lesson that was close to home.
It was my first time at Damons Beach and was kind of suprised they could even give lessons there. The day I went the beach was packed with people. It was fairly light winds and about 6 other kiters. My biggest fear was losing control of the kite and crashing it on someone. worked on body dragging for an hour and called it a day. Those kind of learning conditions really made me lose my mojo to learn. Continued on to the flats of key west and Crandon where the learning curve helped me big time and the set up was much more in control. Also required to get IKO certification. There were no suprises and no crowds.
No disrespect to the crew at that beach but I agree they need to get some permits, and work on specific times for lessons and not just do it to make coin regardless of how crowded the beach is.
Would love to go to the next town meeting. Can you please post earlier when you know of the next one.
It would be a shame to lose access to that spot.

ricki 04-29-2009 09:37 PM

Any suggestions for a meeting place in the area for this coming Tuesday?

Lia 04-29-2009 10:28 PM

Meeting location

Perhaps we should do the meeting next Tuesday at Damon's on the beach so we can look at the location and make some plans as to sketch out a plan of the layout of the beach and rules for the proposal? Anyone against this as a meeting location? How about 7PM?

ricki 04-29-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lia (Post 40168)
Perhaps we should do the meeting next Tuesday at Damon's on the beach so we can look at the location and make some plans as to sketch out a plan of the layout of the beach and rules for the proposal? Anyone against this as a meeting location? How about 7PM?

Well Daman's certainly seems to be at the center of some of the issues. However kiting throughout the entire township is at risk. Is the management there willing to set aside a beach and ocean corridor for kiting? I recall they have a lot of beach traffic there although perhaps less than in some years past. How often is crowding at Damans not an issue when moderate winds are on? There are still issues around the pier, off the streets with parking to the south of the pier, parking lot to the north, etc.. The only place where there doesn't seem to be immediate issues is where some of the actual residents of LBTS live and ride, to the north and away from easy parking and beach access. It would be good to try to address riding practices with a few basic rules throughout the town if possible. Or, do you want to try to make Daman's a designated launch? Would a meeting with management of the resort be in line once we have our first general meeting about keeping kiting going throughout LBTS?

Lia 05-01-2009 03:06 PM

Meeting Wed. May 6 : 7pm

KIteboarders Unite!
Wednesday, May 6, 7 PM
Meeting at 13th Street, Pompano Tiki Bar Ocean Point

We are facing several issues about kiting and regulations at the city meetings along the coast of FL. Let's all get together and come up with a plan to keep kiteboarding safe and accessable in South Florida! See ya there!

Gregg Brown 05-01-2009 06:40 PM

Meeting

Damon's is good for me; Tuesday I have a standing obligation at 7 PM; Wed. would be better but I'll make it Tues. if that's best for everyone else.

GreggB

ricki 05-01-2009 07:20 PM

Hello Gregg,

I originally suggested Tuesday, a week after the Commission Meeting. Lia clued me that is Cinco de Mayo. So we decided to move it to Wednesday, May 6, 2009. Sorry for the schedule conflict but there should be other opportunities. Also, the meeting location is close by, just a bit further north. It is the same place Surf Rider meets, the Tiki Bar at in Pompano.

So the meeting, really need a good turnout of concerned riders too is:

Meeting for Area Kiteboarders

Wednesday, May 6, 2009
7 pm at the Tiki Bar
Oceanpoint Resort
1208 N Ocean Blvd
Pompano Beach, FL 33062
(954) 782-5300

Map and Directions at:
http://tinyurl.com/d8xbnw

As access is under threat in several cities along in Southeast Florida, "Area Kiteboarders" could be a fairly large group. The focus of this meeting will be LBTS but we will also talk a little about trying to preserve access in other areas. If you love to ride and feel like working to maintain your privilege to continue to do so, this is a good time to weigh in and help out.

Gregg Brown 05-01-2009 10:07 PM

LBTS Access

I've been kiting now for about a year, after windsurfing since 1980. I've lived in the area just west of LBTS and its one of my favorite sailing spots.

As a reference, the area immediately seaward of the beach bar at Damons is devoted to volley ball courts (2), so I doubt that south of the access path and Damons is feasible. On the other hand, in the past, the LBTS beach-patrol/rescue has requested that kiters stay to the north of the access path.

The beach area immediately north of the access path is dominated by a single condominium complex (Sea Ranch Club) with primarily seasonal visitors. In general, it seems (at least to me) that this beach area north of the access path is less crowded compared with the south. This is where most of the kiting in LBTS has taken place in recent times.

Perhaps if the Town would designate this area (either formally or informally) as a designated launch area then it would be easier to "self-regulate".

ricki 05-04-2009 09:36 AM

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album406/Damons.thumb.jpg
Click photo for full sized image of the area around Damon's Beach

Thanks for your input Gregg. I assumed the area north of that easement on to the beach and seaward of mean high water was a part of the Town of Sea Ranch Lakes. Just checked, it isn't but a part of LBTS. The area upland of mean high water is private property.

This can be a crowded, congested area. We can approach LBTS to see if this could be setup as a designated launch. We can ask, not sure how it will be received. It would be great if it could be a well managed concession to minimize problems. That would need to come from someone with an interest in setting up, bidding on and running a concession. They would enforce rules, no small task to avoid complaints and problems. He would need to look into the feasibility and legality of operating a waverunner to get students offshore for instruction. Shoreside instruction here even with permits doesn't seem to be feasible with crowding in that area.

I think some of the problems have been irresponsible people kiting among bathers, passing kites over peoples heads while too near shore, walking kites upwind through bystanders, instructing newbies illegally without permits and in crowds. Another problem is leaving kites and lines lying around instead of winding lines up and "parallel parking" kites in a smaller area away from the waterline. In congested areas, you need to get the gear out of the way of bystanders, emergency traffic, etc.. Obvious, stupid practices geared to cause us problems in short. Looks like they have succeeded.

The easiest solution, would be to craft some simple rules and allow the honor system to enforce them. i.e. don't launch if too crowded, get offshore beyond a 100 yards and stay there until time to come in. If you want to ride near shore, go someplace else less populated where this isn't perceived as a problem. In my experience, this doesn't work all that well in SE Florida as all too often people simply don't know the rules or don't give a damn. The goal is to stay off the radar and avoid complaints. Some of us ride this way routinely, there are others that do the opposite. If we pulled together more as a community and actively promoted this simple approach, we probably wouldn't have serious problems in most places.

Registration of kiters was proposed by the BSO four years ago. Offending kiters out of the lot would be logged in a database with two strikes and you're out being enforced. Made sense to me then and even now. Enforcement could be tricky but if it is the only way we can be allowed to kite in the town, so be it.

Some locals have proposed limiting registration to 25 individuals for the entire year. Riders would carry an issued kiting ID with residents being allowed early access. Again, doesn't sound bad but capping at 25 could easily result in very few riding off LBTS on a regular basis. I would think increasing the cap but maintaining reasonable enforcement of basic rules targeting at avoiding complaints might work. There is no real provision for tourists or out of town riders in this either necessarily.

It has been suggested by resident kiters to not allow kiting between 11 and 4 pm on weekends and holidays, peak user times, though out LBTS. Again, if the launch area is well run and/or if riders abide basic rules, the time limitations may not be necessary, IF the site isn't too crowded.

Another approach would be to designate a set of rules for the more densely populated and more readily publicly accessible area south of Sea Ranch Lakes alone. The less accessible areas further north don't seem to have a lot of complaints at this time.

A lot of this comes down to us, what we are willing and able to effectively enforce with other riders. Going hands off hasn't worked, we are being forced to make some changes, here and elsewhere.

Important rider meeting to discuss maintaining access

Wednesday, May 6, 2009
7 pm at the Tiki Bar
Oceanpoint Resort
1208 N Ocean Blvd
Pompano Beach, FL 33062
(954) 782-5300

Map and Directions at:
http://tinyurl.com/d8xbnw

ricki 05-06-2009 02:39 PM

Just a reminder about tonight's meeting to talk about issues in LBTS, Pompano and Ft. Lauderdale. We need to work to secure things better for ourselves, through our actions on the beach. Looking forward to a good turnout and exchange of productive ideas.

There is some information about past issues involving kiting and the township at:

http://www.lauderdalebythesea-fl.gov...13_Minutes.pdf
- just search for "kite"

It looks like BSO and LBTS staff responded to a complaint regarding eight kiteboarders riding too near the shore in January, possibly before the above commission meeting. This may have led directly to our current problems.

ricki 05-25-2009 06:12 PM

IMPORTANT MEETING, KITERS SHOULD ATTEND TOMORROW NIGHT!

We've received some input from a few Commissioners on our proposal to preserve kitesurfing in LBTS. We have a shot at stabilizing things there but need your help. Things are heating up at some Broward and surrounding launches, we could use your support on this one.

One of the Commissioners said it was important that there is a strong turnout of kiters at tomorrow evening's commission meeting. They need to know that their decision is in the best interest of a substantial group of people, US!

So, please make a point of coming to the meeting, resident kiters by all means but KITERS IN GENERAL and in good numbers is what we need to keep things going.

Thank you in advance for showing up to keep us flying in LBTS.

Where:

LBTS Town Commission Meeting Room (north of breeze way)
4501 Ocean Dr.
Lauderdale By-The-Sea, FL

at 7 pm, Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Directions

ricki 05-27-2009 09:09 AM

Huge thanks to the 20 or so that made it to the commission meeting last night and hung in there until about midnight, AGAIN! That sort of commitment is golden and I thank you for it. I was dismayed after we said our piece in a hurry late last night, considering all the careful preparation, discussion, meetings to work up a pack of solutions and advanced discussion with Town staff. You think you cover the bases but in fact ... ?

I understand from Mike O'Keefe, we may not be that far away from a solution. Not too different from the registration concept "B" perhaps without a designated launch with greater emphasis on staying 100 ft. away from bystanders. The focus would shift to designating a "no ride zone" south of Pines Rd. AND INSIDE 100 yards of shore. Beyond 100 yards is fair game as long as you don't land on the beach to the south or come too close to the pier. This was part of last night's proposal of course. It would be nice to remove as much complexity from this as we can. There would be a general prohibition on instruction as well. This will be worked out, put into a real short proposal, discussed among ourselves, presented in private to commissioners and to the open commission in July. More to come but I don't think our time was wasted, when you're right and have a good approach, you're right ... right? Let's hope so.

A parting comment, think of the amount of time we've devoted to just the issue of LBTS. I would guess between a bunch of us sitting through 8 hours of commission meetings, kiter meetings, private discussions and more, we've collectively spent well over 300 man hours trying to fix this situation. I told this to the commission last night to underscore the level of concern and responsibility among most kiters. So, the next time you see someone threatening to toss YOUR access into the pirana tank, grab your kite buds and have an effective, tactful talk with the fellow. You've shown your constitution and commitment, now I would ask that you take it "to the beaches" and make it count. Think of all the commission meetings we might miss if we succeed. Over to you and thanks again!

ricki 07-17-2009 03:42 AM

The LBTS town commission meeting is coming up next week. Michael, a kiting LBTS resident has been working hard to craft a document to serve as a guide to the Town in regulating kiting. The text follows:

"Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida Kitesurfing Proposal

July 28, 2009

Overview

The purpose of this proposal is to provide a recommendation to the Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida, Town Commission to set appropriate rules, regulations and procedures to help ensure safe and responsible guidelines for kitesurfing (also known as kiteboarding) in the township of Lauderdale by the Sea (LBtS), Florida.

Summary

Anyone wanting to kitesurf in LBtS will have to complete a registration form applying for a permit with the city of LBtS (administered by BSO), pay an annual fee (estimated at $100), fly a streamer and comply with kitesurfing guidelines.

The registration form, besides indemnifying the city of claims, will set forth basic rules, regulations, standards and penalties. In summary the rules will be:

• No flying a traction kite (larger than 1 square meter) on the beach, other than to enter and exit the water.
• No teaching/instruction of kitesurfing, to include use of “trainer kites” (whether in the water or on the beach).
• Kitesurfing will not be allowed within 100 feet of any person on the beach or in the ocean.
• Kitesurfing will not be allowed within the swim buoy area (i.e. within 100 yds from shore) from Pine Street to the Southernmost town city limits.
• Permit holders are expected to abide by the aforementioned guidelines as well as to assist the city in the enforcement thereof.

All permit holders will have to show proof of current registration at all times while on the beach when requested by any city official (to include, but not limited to: BSO, VFD, parking or Code/Zoning enforcement, etc). Any violation of the foregoing rules will subject the permit holder to surrender of their permit, as well as will be in violation of a LBtS Code of Ordinance. All minors will have to have consent from a parent/guardian, who will execute the registration application and assume responsibilities therein.

Proposal's Details

Registration Application – Attached as exhibit 1 is a registration application for the City of St. Petersburg, Florida, city owned skate park. Although obviously St. Petersburg's registration is for minors and it is for skateboarding (and not kitesurfing), the fundamentals remain the same. It is recommended LBtS adopt a similar form which in summary requires the applicant to:

1 . Comply with all rules and regulations.
2 . Carry self funded insurance for injury or liability claims.
3 . Release, waiver of claims, hold harmless, and indemnify the city from all liability.
4 . Will not sue the city.
5 . If a minor is the applicant, parent will assume full responsibility of minor.
6 . Accept realization of risks.
7 . Notice to seek legal counsel before signing agreement, as one will be releasing and/or waiving valuable legal rights.
8 . The registration will be valid for one year (as will the $100 fee), beginning October 1, 2009, and will have to be renewable yearly every first day of October.

Fee – The most important aspect of determining a fee is to realistically estimate the cost associated with implementing this proposal, and setting a fee structure that will cover all associated costs – i.e. no taxpayer funds to be used. To do this, costs of signs, attorney's fees, and administration costs for the registration/forms will need to be estimated. Following which a realistic estimate of how many permits will be sold needs to be established.

As a very rough estimate, costs could be around $2,000, and permits sold could be estimated at around 20, for an estimated fee of $100. There will be no difference made between a resident and a non-resident permit holder, other than residents may:

• Be accompanied by one kitesurfing guest or family member(s) (all will be subject to the kitesurfing rules)
• If it is determined that a limitation is required on number of permits issued (see next section), resident/property owners of LBtS will be exempt.

Limitation of Number of Permits – At the onset, there should be no limitation on the number of Permits issued. However, there could come a time in which the number of issued permits may need to be suspended due to overcrowding (which would in turn affect public health, safety or welfare). This overcrowding, could be determined by the Town Manager with input from BSO and/or VFD and/or current permit holders. This would be based on and similar to LBtS's existing Code of Ordinance for Parks:

Sec. 14.3-3. Regulation of public use.
(a) Park hours
(2) The Town Manager, his/her designee or an on-duty law enforcement supervisor is authorized to close any park or portion thereof at any time for the protection of park property or the public health, safety or welfare.

Rules – As stated above, the rules are basic and simple. No flying a kite on the beach, no teaching, stay away from beach-goers (100 ft) and no kiting 100 yds from shore from Pine Street southward to the city limit.

An argument could be made about testing the competency of a kiter. However, the rule in which prohibits a kiter from flying a kite on the beach, other than entering and exiting the water, should eliminate any non-competent kiters. As non-competent kiters will need to fly their kites for extend periods on the beach (typically know as “walking it up the beach”).

Furthermore, these rules, along with the requirement of having a fee-based permit could be amended to the existing LBtS Code of Ordinance of:

Sec. 5-6. Surfboards, boats or watercraft prohibited in proximity of bathers.
It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to use or operate surfboards, boats, or watercraft or to surf or boat within the Town in the proximity of bathers so as to cause a hazard to bathers' safety, or to other persons using the beaches.
(Code 1962, 5-8)

Jurisdiction of the Beach – Notwithstanding there are a number of LBtS ordinances which regulate activities on the beach (ie Sec. 5-6 referenced above), I reference an opinion by Florida State Robert A. Butterworth dated 5/24/2002, subject-Regulation of Dry Sand Portion of Beach, in summary states:

“The City of Destin may regulate in a reasonable manner the beach within its corporate limits to protect the public health, safety, and welfare. This regulation must have a rational relation to and be reasonably designed to accomplish a purpose necessary for the protection of the public.”

Streamers – It is recommended that permit holders be issued a small (say 2”x 16”) bright colored streamer to be attached to the trailing edge of their kites. It is believed that some sort of visible identification is needed to readily identify properly registered kiters.

Given it will be cumbersome for the local authorities to do an ID check on everyone, a kite without a streamer will be easy to spot and enforce by both the authorities and registered kiters.

Although an argument could be made that it would be easy for someone to obtain a fake or counterfeit streamer, once a “community” of registered kiters is established, those using such “fake” streamers will be identified and cited.

Launch Area Lane/”Pathways” - It is not recommended that a launch area with a pathway through the surf be a favorable approach at this time. This is because of the cost involved and determination of location. First, to align, anchor, and maintain approximately 6 – 8 swim buoys through the surf-line would be very expensive. Second, given the general area in which a pathway would be located (ie in the “backyard” of a condominium) numerous LBtS residents are likely to object to this solution.

Without a “pathway”, and the rule which maintains kiters are to stay 100 ft away from beach-goers, kiters will be encouraged to “spread out” to less populated areas of the beach – thereby maintaining a safer environment.

Conclusion

Since roughly 2000 local kitesurfers have been enjoying the beaches of LBtS. During this time there have been no reports of serious injury or sustained complaints by beach-goers. However, approximately 18 months ago, due primarily to the growth of the sport and certain individuals who decided to establish an unauthorized kitesurfing school(s) in LBtS, various concerns have arisen by city officials, residents and responsible resident/non-resident kitesurfers.

As a result of this growth and these certain irresponsible individuals, it is prudent at this time to put forth a formal “structure” to ensure safe and responsible kitesurfing guidelines in LBtS. In doing so, representatives made up of LBtS resident kitesurfers, local non-resident kitesurfers, and a representative of the kitesurfing community, came together and collaborated on the details contained herein. Albeit, the details may be lengthy, the basis of the proposal are based solely on what we believe is “common sense”.

We ask that you please accept this proposal for consideration. Thank you for your time and service."

John Moriconi 07-18-2009 08:47 AM

Rick, I'm Intrested in starting out to Kiteboard in the South Florida area. I have not taked my first class yet. I want to know would it help the cause to show up at the up comming Lauderdale by The Sea meeting. I know numbers of people to show support of a cause are best. What time is the meeting being held? Thank you, john

ricki 07-18-2009 05:11 PM

John,

Thank you for your interest, it is appreciated. We usually go with two or so spokespersons and encourage as much of the kiting community as possible to show up. We've had a strong turnout the last two meetings. We need to be there by 7 pm when the meeting starts. Unfortunately, they have started talking about kiting much later the last two sessions. Still, we don't have a lot of choice of coming in late should they start early.

Rick

ricki 07-19-2009 07:12 PM

Crandon has had in depth rules like these for many years, it was a special case, the ONLY one in North American that comes to mind. The requirements were dictated by the County Park Management unlike any other park area in Miami-Dade County. LBTS may have this in place soon to manage the very few riders that kite there and minimal reported historical problems. I hope this is NOT an exact model to be copied in other areas. Imagine, $100.+ per coastal town or city. That would be around $1000. per year per rider for Broward alone. Lots of us ride all over routinely, in MULTIPLE counties. How many thousands of dollars per year might we have to pay to be able to ride.

Which way do we want to have things? The choice is OURS to make through our actions and the peer pressure we bring to bear. Do not TOLERATE using tact, poor kiting behavior which may TAKE YOUR OPTIONS away from you. Group project, get involved, it was serious before, what do you think it is NOW? It is easy to point fingers, but has the kiting community responded with sufficient effect through self policing to maintain access yet? Look at the recent results, you decide. It sure would be nice to have fewer issues, it is our choice.

ricki 07-27-2009 06:41 PM

We're late on the Commission Meeting agenda for tomorrow night, July 28, 2009. I hope things are on autopilot at this point. I guess we'll know better by tomorrow late. If folks want to come to represent you are more than welcome to do so and thanks!

conchxpress 07-27-2009 08:53 PM

Kite Lobby

Why don't organizations like PASA and IKO get involved as lobby groups? I know I've paid dues to IKO. I guess the dues were for nothing more than a nice shiny card. Maybe someone should start a national kite lobby, or something more general, like a national water sports association. In California, people are trying to exclude SUP surfing from beaches where lay down surfers ride, saying that SUPs are really water craft since there is a paddle involved. Every other business seems to have one <lobby>. Every politician ever running for office, poo-poos special interest groups but can't seem to live without them. The theme for this administration seems to be legislate, regulate, and eliminate. Sorry for the rant, it's just that I'm getting sick of reading every day on different forums how someone wants to restrict this or restrict that.

ricki 07-27-2009 09:04 PM

Does seem to be a lot of suggested restrictions floating around these days. I am happy just to try to tackle this stuff at a grass roots basis. We lobby on a less formal basis but through local means and contacts. It seems to work, in one way or another, much of the time.

Look at all the cities we've had to tackle in the last ten years. You need people with influence in each jurisdiction, seems unlikely to find an affordable lobbyist that could have that extensive a network. If there was something amiss at the Federal or State level, a lobbyist might be the way to go. We should be able to raise the necessary cash with something of significance at the state or national level. I understand the AWSI is trying to do some lobbying. About what, where and to what effect I am less clear. Usually, you pick a few major issues and hit them hard. We have so many among all the threatened jurisdictions.

greg meintjes 07-28-2009 04:54 AM

surfrider foundation

Maybe we should try and join with the surfrider foundation, although they are surfers(primary) we all want the same thing , and that is to enjoy our sport. There will be differences of course, but they have the numbers and we can also add to there numbers so it could be beneficial.

Greg

ricki 07-28-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg meintjes (Post 41359)
Maybe we should try and join with the surfrider foundation, although they are surfers(primary) we all want the same thing , and that is to enjoy our sport. There will be differences of course, but they have the numbers and we can also add to there numbers so it could be beneficial.

Greg

Good points Greg. The Surfrider Foundation is well connected, has lobbyists and is making a difference. It is worth noting they gave me a heads up about a efforts to ban kiting in Pompano before any of the local kiters. Also, during one threat to Virginia Key, the represented kiting interests when no one else could make it during the business day. I'm two counties north and none of the local kiters contacted could make the meeting. Anyway, we owe them already is my point.

I've been thinking about trying to more effectively promote what they are trying to do on here. You've helped to shove me off the fence Greg. I will start to repost announcements from the Broward Chapter. Do other folks receive email notices for other counties? We should give them our support, they frequently put out the call for people to help out in their efforts.

John Moriconi 07-29-2009 06:25 AM

Went to last nights meeting too bad they ran out of time to discuss the kiteboarding issue. I guess it will be on the next agenda.

ricki 07-29-2009 07:11 AM

Thanks for coming John and sorry about the outcome. They had decided to discuss kiting during the next session, two commission meetings back. We were outside in front of the commission room at about 20 minutes til midnight when they called us back in. They asked for a bunch of stuff, which we brought to the next meeting. It was presented in hard copy before the meeting and via email and in person, again after 11:30 pm. I was worried about getting bumped that time too. In response, something very similar was requested to be brought to last night's meeting?! Well, we did just that but unfortunately, this time, they actually did bump us to the next scheduled meeting. Sigh, "public due process" might actually be a four letter word.

Anyway, thanks again to the rough ten people that came out last night to represent, stayed through the discussion of other events. Your time and commitment is much appreciated. Next time ...

ricki 07-30-2009 02:20 PM

Here's an update via Mike O'Keefe from Barabara Cole of http://barbaracolebythesea.com/

We all know they never got to kiteboarding during the Commission Meeting on Tuesday night. What we didn't know is the Commission Meeting was resumed the next afternoon?! The topic came up and as there were no kiteboarders present, the issue was withdrawn for further consideration by the commission, for now.

This is what was conveyed by email, I can't comment further on this that that. One thing I am fairly sure of, when the winds return, IF we shove this issue back into the commission through poor riding behaviors, kiting will be taken to task again.

Do yourself and everyone else a huge favor, ride responsibly, ride smart.

Thanks!

OttoNP 07-30-2009 03:48 PM

Wow, I just read this now...while i do not think it is the worse proposal, I have a much better, easier, and more profitable one for the city.

I live in MI and have stayed at the hotel right by the spot several times over the years, it has great deals! As a visitor, I do not like the idea of paying $100 for 1 or 2 sessions and some streamer on my kite...

Why don't you just create fines and/or jailtime for kiters that endanger people? These laws already exist for waverunners, and boats. With my plan you do like a $500 fine and you will collect $2000 in only 4 violations. You could ever do jail time or a higher fee...kite compensation and auction, whatever...

It is always a few bad apples ruining it for all of us, that is why the control system you set up should punish the few bad apples, not all the good responsible kiters by making them folk out money, time, and hassle. Let the responsible kiters be and punish the irresponsible ones....

p.s. If you look at my old posts after my trips I was worried about access issues in the future....

dwnwndr? 07-31-2009 08:37 AM

I just moved to the area this month, haven't had a chance to get out yet 1) not so much wind 2) work...... I've read through this issue & was wondering what local coordination there is within the kite community. When I lived here about 5 years ago (aka my pre-kite days, just the longboard) I was pretty active with the Surfrider foundation - though it was a very small group & falling into disrepair. I'm not sure where they stand these days, but why not join up & participate in their efforts. It definitely helps 'the cause' of all surfers (SUP, Kite & surf), makes us all look more united and presents a more professional front to access & other issues (also they've got cool t-shirts & beach cleanups which promote a good public image). Anyway, I'm looking to get involved in whatever anyone has going on & will be joining back up with Surfrider S FL chapter.

Saludos,

Aron

OttoNP 07-31-2009 09:10 AM

groups and foundations fail over and over from what I have read. Some people just don't care and ruin it for everyone. Kiting needs to be regulated the same was as boats, cars, etc...those that are irresponsible pay the consequences to society.

Why should 100s of responsibile kiters have to pay $100 when instead you can just fine the few irresponsible kiters?

kitehi412 07-31-2009 08:55 PM

Unfortunately Otto, this seems to be the best recourse for controlling access in
LBTS. I was at the meeting Tuesday night and also unaware that the commission meeting
would continue the following day. The $100.00 fee and streamer, along with 'policing'
ourselves, will hopefully avoid the sport from being banned here.

OttoNP 08-03-2009 08:48 AM

Why don't you guys try to change it to what I said? Rick?? anyone? Don't you think it would be better to have the city police the people? That is how they have handle other issues when people endanger the public (driving, boating, waverunner, etc...) why should kiting be different? I would think the city would welcome the source of income (fining has much more earning potential then licensing). Also, what are they going to do when people just ignore it and ride anyway? (fine them) We need to give up on the idea of self policing and start getting cities to punish the irresponsible kiters for it. The problem with self policing is we lack the authority to fine/jail/punish infractors, all we legally have is peer pressure...

ricki 08-03-2009 10:07 AM

We tried five years ago to do just that in LBTS. Have the BSO enforce some minimal, sensible rules written into local ordinances. Looked like it might have happened too, then they lost interest? This was a critical component of the most recent proposal until it was tabled. It would be great to have the kite cops be real cops for once. What happens next? Not sure, if we poke a stick at the commission through dumb riding behaviors, we'll likely get dragged back in there yet again to try to preserve access.