FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   What's going on? (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   self rescue (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4564)

jim 09-23-2007 04:16 PM

still planning the self rescue demo for sat oct 6 at eb or where the wind dictates. Steve(Kite for Life) will be doing the demo and also doing skill assessments and subsequent IKO card issuing for those interested. Probably shoot for later on in the afternoon like 4-430. Steve said he would volunteer his services but we should definitely make it worth his while. Maybe 20 bucks per person? Just trying to get a count of those interested other than me, my wife wendy ,scott.

Skyway Scott 09-23-2007 04:49 PM

That should work for me.

shogun1204 09-24-2007 08:35 AM

Go to this!

Knowing how to Self Resuce saved my butt this weekend! Was about 500 yards off shore at the State Park here in PC. Hit the face of a swell and went for a jump. Jump was going well until I started to pull the kite down for the land, and had some awesome bar gear failure. Took my leash off and put it through the handle of my board and re-attached it to my CL. Then wrapped my lines around my bar. LOL Got to the kite and had a very long swim back in. I am just glad this is like the 3rd or 4th time I have had to self rescue so no biggie. If this was my first time, and I did not know how to self rescue it could have had a very bad ending. Took me about 30 mins to get back to the beach. Took a 10 minute break pulled out my spare bar and I was off riding again!!!!!! :cool:

amber 09-24-2007 08:48 AM

I'm in for saturday. I'll bring my camera so we can document the session. what else should i bring?

RM3001 09-24-2007 09:18 PM

I'm interested too!

jim 09-25-2007 05:34 AM

probably bring your harness,boots in case we are in the water. god idea to bring the camera.

zextegra 09-25-2007 01:02 PM

Im in forsure.

popeye 09-25-2007 03:48 PM

I guess I'm confused.. isn't self rescue part of your original lesson/cert?

Are instructors skipping this stuff or does it end up in an advanced lesson?

linhster 09-25-2007 09:52 PM

As a newbie to the sport I have had a few incident where panic has set in. I had learn a few hard lesson myself but after reading other kiter experience, I guess I have been lucky.

Is it possible to video (and later on narrate the play by play or the suggested remedies) so other who is not in the your area can also learn from this. Maybe selling it at a reasonable price to recover cost of time and material.

Thanks for sharing your experience so other might not have to endure those kitemare.

popeye 09-28-2007 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linhster (Post 23655)
As a newbie to the sport I have had a few incident where panic has set in. I had learn a few hard lesson myself but after reading other kiter experience, I guess I have been lucky.

Is it possible to video (and later on narrate the play by play or the suggested remedies) so other who is not in the your area can also learn from this. Maybe selling it at a reasonable price to recover cost of time and material.

Thanks for sharing your experience so other might not have to endure those kitemare.

Videos are available just about everywhere... just do a google search and pick one which covers self rescue.

http://www.amazon.com/REAL-Kiteboard.../dp/B000BLKJ5Y

amber 09-28-2007 11:43 AM

i think people have probably seen the videos but are not sure if they'd be able to put it to practical use in real life. that is why we thought it would be cool to let people learn by doing and build their confidence and also to get feedback from instructors/seasoned riders if they are doing something wrong/dangerous.

We're still talking about next weekend for the demo. not sure if it will be sat or sunday...we're going to try to schedule it when the wind IS NOT blowing so we all can ride because i know all of us would rather be riding than talking about riding.

There should be some samples of the luggage tag system and a grill. i'll start a new thread later next week so we can figure out who's bringing what. we dont want to show up with 80 hot dog buns and no beer :)

stay tuned and hopefully we'll all get a chance to ride this weekend!!

jim 10-02-2007 06:57 PM

so...what are the plans for the weekend safety demo? Day/time?

zextegra 10-02-2007 07:15 PM

Im down with bringing some stuff. Whats needed?

RM3001 10-03-2007 06:30 PM

Did we ever finalize a day and time? I need to get a sitter for my two utes!

RM3001 10-11-2007 11:13 AM

Is it going to happen this weekend?