PDA

View Full Version : Florida East Coast Questions....

tog0713
09-16-2010, 12:27 PM
With the thermal effect of land heat killing the breezes from the East am considering a trip to the East coast of Florida to ride some waves with decent winds. Was considering Cocoa Beach where I've kited before a few years back. Mapquest shows Cocoa to be 2.5 to 3.0 hours away by car. Was planning to drive over and kite two days with a one night hotel stay. Was wondering from more experienced riders the following:

1. From St. Pete does Cocoa make the most sense for a short kiting trip? Are there other better places within reasonable kiting distance on the East coast?

2. Any suggestions for hotels or places to stay on an East coast kiting trip?

Thanks in advance for your input....

Regards,
Tim

Water Monkey
09-16-2010, 03:52 PM
It depends on what you are looking for.....If you like the waves and can handle some pretty decent swell then cocoa for sure. If you want flat water and better wind then the keys are great but about a 6 hour drive. Hope this helps!

Steve-O
09-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Hey Tim,

I have made the trip hundreds of times since I was a teenager and is the closest and quickest place to get to East side.

I take I-4 to 417, then hop on 528 E. This drops me right on to A1A. Some tolls, but very quick. 2.5 hours

The swell will be big, and the winds won't. You will need a big kite and board to make the ocean work as alot of water will be moving out there and you will need power to get through it. Jetty Park would be the call IMO as the swell won't be as big there and make it more possible with the winds hovering around 15 or so.

There are some flats on Banana River, but are quite gusty on an Easterly wind.

You might check the forecast down the coast as you head south. You might find more wind the farther south you go. Jupiter Inlet is only 3.5-4 hours away vs. Cocoa being an hour less. You might find more wind down there. Some really great riders down there, and would be happy to show you the ropes. The shore break is brutal. Sometimes overhead just to get off the beach. It has given some pros a run for there money.

Sunday will be very big conditions, and I just don't think there will be enough wind to kite it. Kinda sucks cuz the wind is really going to mess up the swell for surfing, but not be strong enough for kiting.

Enter the waverunner. I have been experiementing with tow-in surfing on the last swell (Earl) and its a blast. I plan to do another round on Sunday somewhere over there and hope to get some video of all of it.

Oh yeah, there is a Days Inn on A1A right by the Canaveral Pier. Good rates and close to everything.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Steve-O

tog0713
09-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Steve,

Thanks so much for the tips on East Coast and hotel suggestion. Hope to make it over to Cocoa sometime soon. Hope your tow in surfing works for you this weekend. I look forward to seeing the video.

Best regards,
Tim