PDA

View Full Version : HOWZAWIND???

Pages : [1] 2

ricki
02-18-2006, 12:13 PM
In this frequent lightwind wonderland we live in sometimes whether or not it is rideable is a bit of a subtle call. This even using realtime winds, flags, trees, etc.. We often just don't really know until we're there.

What to do?

If you are at the beach and it looks rideable, tell us about it! It may change but then again, it might not before we can slide in a session.

This is a public service your kite buds can appreciate, so post and post often (that'll mean there's more wind!).

ricki
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
No wind in the forecast but it is going off Delray currently (Sunday, 12:30 pm):

Sideshore 15 gusting to 20 mph!

ikitesurf doesn't show any indication of this. Grab it while you can.

The winds eased off a bit after I got up there but were still ranging from 12 to 17 mph much of the time. Pretty good considering 5 mph was forecast!

ricki
02-20-2006, 02:01 PM
The forecast is for 5 to 10 mph today, Monday, Feb. 20, 2006.

The wind is 13 gusting to 15 mph and perhaps building in the Delray area as of 3 pm.

ricki
03-07-2006, 01:29 PM
WIND JUST TURNED
ON!!!

NNE 20 gusting to 24 mph at delray

it may build

HIGHFLYN
04-07-2006, 12:02 PM
As I sit here at work, I'm watching the trees bend from the south/southeast @ 15mph+. Hope to catch a session this afternoon!

If thats not possible, Forcast for tomorrow is BREEZY 15-20 from the south :D

ricki
04-07-2006, 12:05 PM
As I sit here at work, I'm watching the trees bend from the south/southeast @ 15mph+. Hope to catch a session this afternoon!

If thats not possible, Forcast for tomorrow is BREEZY 15-20 from the south :D

I hope to grab some water time myself later on today if things are rideable. Where are you located? 15 to 20 sounds good. It would be great if that happens for Kite4Girls on Key Biscayne.

HIGHFLYN
04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
I couldn't agree more about the Kite4girls this weekend, I was going to head down that way.

But I've decided to stick it out around the home front and take advantage of the wind on Sat. Since it's been a fickle spring so far. Plus the 80mile drive down south would eat up valuable kiting time. Perhaps next year.

I'm up here in Lake Worth/Boynton Beach area and as of this post it's looking GOOD outside :D

Man is that clock s-l-o-w- or what :shock:

Daudbhai
04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi Rick,

I'm headed down to the West Palm Beach/Delray Beach area end of next week. Just wondering what beaches I could kite at. I was down at Ft. Lauderdale last year and know the rules there. Does anyone know the rules for Palm Beach? What are the conditions like this time of year?

Thanks

DB

ricki
04-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi Rick,

I'm headed down to the West Palm Beach/Delray Beach area end of next week. Just wondering what beaches I could kite at. I was down at Ft. Lauderdale last year and know the rules there. Does anyone know the rules for Palm Beach? What are the conditions like this time of year?

Thanks

DB

The cold fronts that bring the wind seem to be thining out as spring moves on. Although last week we had the best straight five days of stronger winds that I can remember for several years.

If something good comes through the wind could pick up a bit otherwise you might be looking for afternoon thermal winds in the 10 to 15 mph range. These don't happen everyday unfortunately. So, it may be on the lighter side but fingers crossed anyway.

Regarding Palm Beach, guys do ride there but launch and land to the north of the guarded beach. Make sure you stay beyond 300 ft. or more from the beach if you cross over the guarded sections.

Jupiter is just to the north and can have some great conditions if the wind is on. There is a kitebeach to the south of the inlet. Jeremy at Florida Kiting can fill you in on local precautions (avoid guarded areas and the fishing pier mainly).

Delray has a law on the books governing kiteboarding. You can't launch or land off of guarded beaches or come within 400 ft. of them from offshore. Most guys launch and land to the south of the main beach (about 200 yards south of Casurina St.).

Have a good trip!

HIGHFLYN
04-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Will the afternoon sea~breeze do it again today, I sure hope so. The past 2 days have been a GOOD!!

And to think that it's all just about to end from the next several months :cry:

But on the other hand perhaps this will be the summer of WIND :P

ricki
04-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Will the afternoon sea~breeze do it again today, I sure hope so. The past 2 days have been a GOOD!!

And to think that it's all just about to end from the next several months :cry:

But on the other hand perhaps this will be the summer of WIND :P

Yes, it was great last night. Here I had blown off the prospects earlier in the day and pretty much ignored what was blowing out the window at the office. I even left late looked around and said IT'S BLOWING and hit the beach.

Looking at the windgraph for yesterday it almost linearly went up from about 10 am to 7 pm, peaking with average winds of 17 mph gusting to 20 mph. Outstanding thermal winds!

It hit me last night that the drought we are in along with other conditions may be pretty good for late day thermals if not for our water situation. Normally we would also have those 10 mile high cumulonimbus clouds moving seaward from the everglades but that hasn't started yet either.

HIGHFLYN
04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Yes, it was great last night. Here I had blown off the prospects earlier in the day and pretty much ignored what was blowing out the window at the office. I even left late looked around and said IT'S BLOWING and hit the beach.

~Smiling~ that it was and looking at the Jupiter cam and the Boca "red reef" cam it looks as thought it's doing it's thing again :D

Here's to another afternoon session :cheers:

I kited a solo session last nite north of Lake Worth pier, I'm gonna have to try and make it down your way one day Rick and say hello in person :thumbsup:

ricki
04-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Hope to see you there. Currently the windomatic has it at 15 kt. gusting from 14 to 17 kt. I think it might read a bit high and usually think of it in mph instead of kts. Still pretty good for this time of year. The good thermal winds keep coming through.

There are some clouds out west today but they don't look like much on color radar, yet!

ricki
04-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Spoke too soon, looks like some heavy weather may be moving to the NE from the everglades. Have a care, the summer thermal cycle may have just started.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/extras/weather/radar_a.htm

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=NCR&rid=AMX&loop=yes

HIGHFLYN
04-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I squeezed in a session @ Hammock park in Boynton, from 5:15 till 7pm. I was keeping a close eye on those storms to the NW and when I saw that first bolt of lighting~ I called it quits.

Turns out to have been a good call all around, about 15 minutes after I hit the beach and wrapped it up. The wind died and switch NW as I drove home northward in the rain.

Glad to have caught it while it was there. This work **it really gets in the way sometimes~ LOL

Hope you were able to get U some :wink:

ricki
04-26-2006, 07:03 PM
I squeezed in a session @ Hammock park in Boynton, from 5:15 till 7pm. I was keeping a close eye on those storms to the NW and when I saw that first bolt of lighting~ I called it quits.

Turns out to have been a good call all around, about 15 minutes after I hit the beach and wrapped it up. The wind died and switch NW as I drove home northward in the rain.

Glad to have caught it while it was there. This work **it really gets in the way sometimes~ LOL

Hope you were able to get U some :wink:

Glad you got some time in. I took all the stuff to the beach just in time for it to shift side offshore and drop off in speed. It looks like it came back in a while though somewhat. Still there were some pretty nasty squalls coming through with NWS warnings. The radar suggested that they might move to the north and south of the launch in Delray. I bagged it and headed home to do some work. Next time!

HIGHFLYN
04-28-2006, 02:14 PM
looking good outside as of 3:15pm 15-20 ENE and it looks as though it's going to hold all weekend 8)

ricki
04-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Yes, the windomatic has it at 16 to 22 kts. average 18 kts. at 3:30 pm and it might be building. I feel what should be an excellent session coming on tonight! Have fun out there.

ricki
04-29-2006, 03:50 AM
I was thinking about a roadtrip to Ft. Pierce today. Looks like the forecast is strongest along the SE coast right here ...

TODAY
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KNOTS.
NEAR SHORE...SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET BUILDING TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE
AFTERNOON. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 9 TO 11 FEET. NORTHEAST SWELL
3 TO 5 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO 30
KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 10 TO 12 FEET IN THE
GULF STREAM. NORTHEAST SWELL 3 TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KNOTS.
SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 12 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM.
NORTHEAST SWELL 3 TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED
AREAS.

Summer's not here yet!

HIGHFLYN
05-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Seems to be a little NE puff out there ppl 14-17mph. Hope to squeeze a session in this afternoon. I'll be between Boynton and Lake Worth.
Perhaps someothers will take advantage of this late season NE

Good luck to all!!!

ricki
05-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Seems to be a little NE puff out there ppl 14-17mph. Hope to squeeze a session in this afternoon. I'll be between Boynton and Lake Worth.
Perhaps someothers will take advantage of this late season NE

Good luck to all!!!

Thanks for the heads up. The Windomatic at Delray has it at 13 to 18 kts. average around 15 kts. right now. Also, no squalls on the radar, time to hit it!

Have a good session.

HIGHFLYN
05-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Hope your able to get some time in Rick, I powered out a 2.5hr session.
Sargasum (seaweed) was THICK and I feel a few lice. But it was WELL worth it. I hadn't inflated a kite in weeks and was having some serious withdrawls :shock:

ricki
05-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Hope your able to get some time in Rick, I powered out a 2.5hr session.
Sargasum (seaweed) was THICK and I feel a few lice. But it was WELL worth it. I hadn't inflated a kite in weeks and was having some serious withdrawls :shock:

Glad it was a good session, it does seem like a while since the last wind. I saw some huge mats of sargassum offshore in the Straits yesterday flying back from Abaco. Well, it sure is here now!

It was a good day, not nuclear but worlds ahead of extended calms. It was good to get out for a while.

I saw a couple of other guys up and down the cost. How did folks do tonight?

HIGHFLYN
07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
07-20 @ 11:50AM

I've checked the radar, I've watched the trees and I've looked at all the cams and wind graphs.

It's B-L-O-W-I-N-G and I can't take it anymore. I'm hitting the beach (Boynton Inlet/North side). looks to be 16m'able

Hope it doesn't peater out and I can enjoy the rest of the day on the water :lol:

HIGHFLYN
07-20-2006, 02:33 PM
7-20 @ 1:34 (packed up and off the beach)

Like a parched man chasing a mirage in the dessert, the doldrums of July fooled me into bailing out of work to hit the beach. In search of the wind that I watched all morning.

Be it the EXTREME heat or just the way Mother Nature toys with ones mind. I did my best and was not rewarded. So here I sit back at work, trying to focus. But only dreaming of the days that I have to make a choice between my 10m or 8m :roll:

I'm just about ready to sacrifice....... a kite, a board, heck if I knew of any virgins. I know the wind gods would reward us all. Rather then to continue this torture. I just want to RIDE

HIGHFLYN
09-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Pulled a S-W-E-E-T downwinder this afternoon, From Lake Worth to Hammock park in Boynton. Winds were nothing special 12-14 ENE compared to last nights. But still do'able and fun.

Hope someone else got some of the wind that was'nt on the forcast :)

ricki
09-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Pulled a S-W-E-E-T downwinder this afternoon, From Lake Worth to Hammock park in Boynton. Winds were nothing special 12-14 ENE compared to last nights. But still do'able and fun.

Hope someone else got some of the wind that was'nt on the forcast :)

Just got back from Surf Expo. Per tradition, there was no wind during the show. Strange how that works out.

Sounds like a nice downwind session. I'll have to head up that way and give it a go. You do get some nice swells up that way at times too.

ricki
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
WIND ALERT!!!

It is 18 gusting to 21 kts. SSE at Delray, 3:15 pm, 9.19.06. No squalls nearby for the moment. It MAY shift offshore from the SW but it is still rideable for now.

Go get some if you can!

ricki
09-24-2006, 08:13 AM
WIND ALERT

14 kts. gusting to 16.5 kts. Sunday, 9 am at Delray. This isn't forecast, isn't thermal but it's here. Get some if you can.

I see it is about 15 kts. at Fowry. Some of this may make it in closer to shore down there. It may even build or then again it might vanish?

HIGHFLYN
09-26-2006, 03:30 PM
WIND ALERT!!!! :shock:

Boynton Beach 14-17knots out of the S-SE as of 4:20pm

Ocean has white caps ALL over- Sea's are flat. Don;t know how long it will last

ricki
09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
WIND ALERT!!!! :shock:

Boynton Beach 14-17knots out of the S-SE as of 4:20pm

Ocean has white caps ALL over- Sea's are flat. Don;t know how long it will last

I just looked out the window and checked the anenometer, you beat me to it! WAY TO GO! See you at the beach.

kiwiar2000
09-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Get in the action now, guys!

HIGHFLYN
09-27-2006, 11:51 AM
You beat me to it!

Ahhh haaa that I did :P :lol: :D

I had to race home to Lake Worth, Grabbed my gear. Checked the radar. That bummed me out, There was a cell just west of the beach moving east. So I packed it in my ride and HAULED azz back to Boynton Public. Hoping that the 7 miles I just travled south would give me that extra 1/2 hour of ride time.

As I'm booking it for the beach, I see a (single) kite in the air. I give the wave to Jeff from BESTKITEBOARDING.

I get my gear set up and ready to launch in record time. Land Jeff's kite and chat for a few to find out that he had been there since 4pm :roll: (it' now 5:40) He gives me a launch and off I go into my liquid relaxation. Wind held up for about 45 minutes and then that storm that had run me from LW. Sucked all the wind in that it was going to and it tappered off to maybe 10 knots.

Work really can get in the way sometimes :roll:

ricki
09-27-2006, 06:05 PM
You beat me to it!

Ahhh haaa that I did :P :lol: :D

I had to race home to Lake Worth, Grabbed my gear. Checked the radar. That bummed me out, There was a cell just west of the beach moving east. So I packed it in my ride and HAULED azz back to Boynton Public. Hoping that the 7 miles I just travled south would give me that extra 1/2 hour of ride time.

As I'm booking it for the beach, I see a (single) kite in the air. I give the wave to Jeff from BESTKITEBOARDING.

I get my gear set up and ready to launch in record time. Land Jeff's kite and chat for a few to find out that he had been there since 4pm :roll: (it' now 5:40) He gives me a launch and off I go into my liquid relaxation. Wind held up for about 45 minutes and then that storm that had run me from LW. Sucked all the wind in that it was going to and it tappered off to maybe 10 knots.

Work really can get in the way sometimes :roll:

Yes, you did. We should race to call the wind alert more often. For one thing that means will have more wind and for another, more of us should grab water time.

I drove up to the inlet after your alert yesterday anxious to checkout some of those nice swells you can get up there. I arrived missed the swells, saw the outgoing tide, saw no one out (aside from Jeff at the park to the south) and figured next time! I was staring at that mass of clouds in the NW too while trying to dial in a radar loop on my phone. It didn't look all that encouraging, another reason to bear south. Sorry it stole the wind, still it was good for a while. It is great the wind has come up despite poor forecast twice in two days. Tonight I think will be a miss, soon though?

Yes, regular work hours can really take a toll on our high grade water time.

HIGHFLYN
09-29-2006, 11:04 AM
We should race to call the wind alert more often. For one thing that means will have more wind and for another, more of us should grab water time.

I'm calling an EAIRLY~ WIND ALERT here!!

Currently @ LW winds are North @ 9-11knots as of 11am.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for an afternoon (Cool front) North wind session. Ahhhhh the SEASON is knocking on our southerly door. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

ricki
09-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up, sadly I was landlocked in a suit, giving a presentation at the time. Quiting time is coming up though and I think it might build, 12 to 13 kts. and rising hopefully at 3 pm.

How about the forecast for 20-25 kts???!

I hope it comes to pass, just because they predict it and so far out doesn't mean it will happen though. I'll try not to jinx it by identifying the day.

YEAH! Bring on the cold fronts, finally!!!

ricki
10-01-2006, 10:23 PM
15 to 20 kts. forecast from Monday night through Friday!? You gotta love fall. The wind is back!

BizGuru
10-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I can't wait. Looking to hit commercial beach after work tomorrow, maybe hammock park in boynton.

ricki
10-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Is this great or what?! I had to do a model shoot late today into the early evening in Ft. Lauderdale. Tons of guys were on the water ripping it up and having a great time. I finished up at around 7 pm just in time to rig up and have at it. Lots of light from the shore and moon. It was a great session, scenic and peaceful. More of the same tomorrow and more to come for the next few days with a return of 15 to 20 kts. on Saturday by the forecast.

ricki
10-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Checking ikitesurf the wind has turned on to the north already as the cold front slides down the peninsula. The isobars are stacking up nicely up north.

http://www.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xg4_ir_anim.gif

The winds seem to be turning on just to the north of the cloud line at the leading edge of the front.

What are the guesses out there as to when the winds will come, barring stalling, God forbid?

I guess for Delray the winds will hit 15 to 20 mph by 1 pm by current indications.

You can fine tune and update your guess by winds turning on ikitesurf and passage of the front at the day wears on.

There doesn't seem to be a major squall line at the leading edge of this one but I wouldn't mess with that part anyway. Wait until it passes and the stronger winds fill in behind.

Other guesses out there?

kiwiar2000
10-14-2006, 09:44 PM
i second to that!

HIGHFLYN
10-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Wait until it passes and the stronger winds fill in behind.

Other guesses out there?

You were spot on that one Rick :wink:

Saturday was an epic day for the Southeast ~ Flat, crystal clear water and PUMPING winds 18-23 kts before the front line passed then it kicked up to 22-27kts. Flew a 10m & 120 x 38cm ALL DAY :D

Sunday wasn't as consistant, good winds to start @ 16-18kts but tapered off as the day went on. Plus the conditions were really punchy (lulls/gusts).

Would NEVER complain though, Not only was there wind
But it was good wind & it fell on a weekend :P

ricki
10-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Wait until it passes and the stronger winds fill in behind.

Other guesses out there?

You were spot on that one Rick :wink:

Saturday was an epic day for the Southeast ~ Flat, crystal clear water and PUMPING winds 18-23 kts before the front line passed then it kicked up to 22-27kts. Flew a 10m & 120 x 38cm ALL DAY :D

Sunday wasn't as consistant, good winds to start @ 16-18kts but tapered off as the day went on. Plus the conditions were really punchy (lulls/gusts).

But it was good wind & it fell on a weekend :P

Saturday was a great day and a great start to frontal season. Sunday was a bit uneven. Mainly because of the waves and apparent wind, I used my smaller board and ended up doing more walking. Despite that it was still good. Looking forward to the next front.

We can guess when the wind will turn on at various launches and whether or not there will be squalls at the leading edge. Here's to a full season of wind!

kiwiar2000
10-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Saturday was an epic day for the Southeast ~ Flat, crystal clear water and PUMPING winds 18-23 kts before the front line passed then it kicked up to 22-27kts. Flew a 10m & 120 x 38cm ALL DAY

But it was good wind & it fell on a weekend

Yes, Saturday was a great day here at Biscayne Bay,
however, Sunday afternoon was good, but it was not consisted as you mentioned and it was a bit gusty.
Indeed, we are lucky that good winds come by on the weekends!
-Danny

HIGHFLYN
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
WIND ALERT!!! :shock:

NNE @ 19-21KTS AS OF 2:20 PM 10-23-06

Ocean if flat and the wind is BLOWING

ricki
10-23-2006, 02:53 PM
WIND ALERT!!! :shock:

NNE @ 19-21KTS AS OF 2:20 PM 10-23-06

Ocean if flat and the wind is BLOWING

Yeeha! It's here again. I was going to venture a guess at time of arrival this morning but it was already pumping 19 mph at Jupiter so it was likely just a matter of a few hours.

See you out there!

ricki
11-15-2006, 08:05 AM
It's old news at this point but for the record it is 18 gusting to 21 kts. at Delray currently. The wind is on, but so is work. Next time.

HIGHFLYN
01-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Wind Alert!!

1-19-07 @ 11:54am currently blowing 21mph from the N in Jupiter, chest high ground swell and flat (surface) ocean conditions

Hope to see Palm Beach~south fill in with in an hour or two

See you on the water ;)

ricki
01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Sounds good, enjoy it! Funny thing about being on the injured list, you start to ignore forecasts and even actual wind conditions. Amazing but true. Grab some joy out there.

HIGHFLYN
03-03-2007, 11:12 AM
WIND ALERT!! 3-03-07 @ 12:15pm Just checked the cam up in Martin County and it's NUKING w/No storms on the radar:
NNE 25.6 to 26MPH w/Gusts to 37MPH

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/119596.gif

BizGuru
03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
The winds are here! Time to get out of work and ride!

ricki
03-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Good idea. Looks like the squalls are moving inland hopefully. Have fun out there.

kiwiar2000
06-07-2007, 01:45 PM
winds are 13 knots at my house.

ricki
06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
winds are 13 knots at my house.

It peaked at Delray at 16 to 20 kts. around noon but has settled down to about 10 kts. currently. It may come back. THANKS for the heads up.

Still, they put this shot up on the wind meter site at Delray, not sure if I like the look of them sea critters ...

http://windomatic.com/login_images/ChrisDragonSlayer.jpg

ricki
06-07-2007, 02:26 PM
If you're heading out be sure to check color radar, the summer storm season seems to be here, i.e. 60 mph gust spikes currently forecast for Broward in squalls.

* AT 307 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING NICKEL SIZE HAIL...AND
DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 17
MILES NORTH OF MICCOSUKEE RESORT...OR ABOUT 12 MILES WEST OF
MIRAMAR...AND MOVING NORTH AT 5 MPH.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN PRODUCE DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60
MPH...LARGE HAIL...DEADLY LIGHTNING...AND VERY HEAVY RAINFALL. STAY
INSIDE AWAY FROM WINDOWS UNTIL THE STORM HAS PASSED.

More at: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=mfl&wwa=severe%20thunderstorm%20warning

kiwiar2000
06-07-2007, 03:40 PM
wow, 60 mph. Its dark here in Miami.
Anybody with any wind alerts, please let us know in advance right here!

kiwiar2000
06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
nice shot!

AEsco48
06-09-2007, 12:08 PM
TWC shows 18mph NE at KeyB....should be decent at Matheson

kiwiar2000
06-09-2007, 03:02 PM
called one of my buds down at matheson hammock.
7 kites out there.
-Danny

AEsco48
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
when i got there at 2pm on sat there were 22 kites up...then the wind went down...marginal

kiwiar2000
06-11-2007, 11:56 AM
we're talking about some crazy, abrupt summer breezes!

HIGHFLYN
06-22-2007, 03:48 PM
WIND ALERT!

Boynton Beach as I type this is 14-17kts SSE

I'm off to the beach, YOU have been informed :cool:

ricki
06-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks Michael! Missed that one but grabbed an hour or so tonight. Sorry for the late notice. It looks like we are in a favorable thermal wind generation pattern currently. Have a care though, on Thursday the thermals turned off an hour before sunset. It wouldn't be that hard to get caught out offshore.

HIGHFLYN
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
You all knew it was coming, well it's here.

Currently 13.6 to 18mph in Boca

Rains are still a few hours away, It's on and I'm out!

Oh yea~ WIND ALERT!

ricki
06-26-2007, 02:41 PM
You all knew it was coming, well it's here.

Currently 13.6 to 18mph in Boca

Rains are still a few hours away, It's on and I'm out!

Oh yea~ WIND ALERT!

You called it, have fun. I'm stuck to after 5 pm.
It's 12 to 14 kts. in Delray, may strengthen.

The radar shows a very large hole to seaward at present between squalls. Hope it doesn't fill in before sunset.

kiwiar2000
06-27-2007, 11:32 AM
wind was rocking yesturday!
Started out w/ a 14-15 knt session then it became a 18-19 knt session!
kick ass.

ricki
06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
wind was rocking yesturday!
Started out w/ a 14-15 knt session then it became a 18-19 knt session!
kick ass.

Glad you had a good session, same up here after the squalls moved past.

Looks good now at 4:30 pm, the wind has risen back up from near nothing to 12 to 15 kts. Think it might build some more. The radar looks pretty good to the east right now off of Palm Beach County. Hope folks grab some of this tropical wave sans rain.

tonykite
06-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Hello,
How was it tonight?
I was out at 6.00 at Miami beach but the wind never really filled in.
I guess it would have been rideable if you could reach the wind line far out.

Tony

kiwiar2000
06-27-2007, 08:14 PM
tony,
it was a bit windier around 2-4:30
I think tomorrow its going to rain w/ 18 knts!

ricki
06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Got wind skunked up here. The table was set, hot clear skys, no squalls but despite all the wind eased. Next time!

kiwiar2000
06-27-2007, 09:04 PM
next time....maybe tomorrow?
raining right now in kendall

ricki
06-27-2007, 09:41 PM
next time....maybe tomorrow?
raining right now in kendall

They're saying 80% rain chance tomorrow with some squalls mixed in. Perhaps there won't be squalls not or at least there might be some large holes between the heavy stuff. Keep the faith, useable wind is coming soon?

AEsco48
06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
good day today at matheson...no rain...got there at 11am...low tide so it was FLATTTTTT....wind was not that consisten...prob 1 hr of not enough wind from 11-430..

ricki
06-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Glad you made it out and got some wind. I was delayed up this way, looked at the radar and saw about 50% sky coverage with clouds/squalls along about 100% of the coast. So, I kept running errands. Turns out as Delray was getting hit pretty hard there was a large hole with good winds south off Deerfield for about two hours. Then a nasty looking shelf cloud moved in complete with violent gusts. What is it? Oh, yeah ... next time!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/abq/officeinfo/photo_album/PicOWeek/Clouds%20and%20Landscape/NWRoswell%20Shelf%20Cloud%209%20Oct%202005.jpg
From: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/abq/officeinfo/photo_album/PicOWeek/Clouds%20and%20Landscape/slides/NWRoswell%20Shelf%20Cloud%209%20Oct%202005.html

AEsco48
06-29-2007, 08:28 AM
yea when i left i had planned to sit out a good amount of time due to storms....but it was near perfect

HIGHFLYN
07-08-2007, 10:14 AM
WIND ALERT!

Currently SSE 15-17mph in Boynton ~

Update: Squeezed a session in from 12:20 till 2'ish
13m Bularoo and surfboard, right toward the end of the session. I can in and swapped out for a kiteboard and that must have thrown the switch to off. Fun while it lasted!

Update X 2 (See Summer Sessions)

HIGHFLYN
07-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Keep an eye on it today, Seems to be coming on already here in Palm Beach County.

Currently SSE @ 11-14kts and building? (wishfull thinking)
Radar shows some small spotty showers here and there

BizGuru
07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Sounds good, I got some new kites to check out... hopefully it will be strong after 5:00.

So far it looks good, I see someone out there riding at Hammock Park.

HIGHFLYN
07-12-2007, 01:28 PM
WIND ALERT!!

Currently 15-16kts @ LW

Best wind in WEEKS ~

ricki
07-12-2007, 01:35 PM
WIND ALERT!!

Currently 15-16kts @ LW

Best wind in WEEKS ~

Thanks for the heads up! It's 15 to 17 kts. SE in Delray with no squalls on the radar for now.

HIGHFLYN
08-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Wind Alert!

SSE 12-13kts and building @ LW ( just started to come on )
No storms on the radar as of yet

ricki
08-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Wind Alert!

SSE 12-13kts and building @ LW ( just started to come on )
No storms on the radar as of yet

It is similar again today just south in Delray. The thermal cloud stack is well inland, moving NE and hopefully will stay there. The wind might build, fingers crossed.

AEsco48
08-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Wind!!!! In South Miami... its 4pm now...

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/environment/index.cgi#

HIGHFLYN
10-30-2007, 07:33 AM
For anyone that chooses to head out today, Use Caution it's WINDY!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/561Flyfisherman/summary.gif

ricki
10-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Caution is the way to go for sure. If you haven't already been out in conditions like this, a few times handing things well, it would be a good few days to sit out, especially in the waves. There are supposed to be some squalls coming through the SE later on today as well. The waves must have boosted some more overnight. Hope we don't have any guys rigging too big, doing inadequate preflighting or anything else ill advised and slamming into stuff along the shore.

ricki
10-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Did anyone get messed up today? Hope not! It may have been gusting over 40 kts. offshore from Delray tonight based on the wind record. The waves seemed to range from about 6 to 12 ft.. Hazardous winds and waves to be sure. Conditions may be larger and the wind perhaps stronger tomorrow especially if there are squalls. We didn't have any for most of the evening. Looked liked they were hammering ashore further south and north though.

AEsco48
10-30-2007, 09:57 PM
it was not fun, just too gusty....(5-7pm)

flkiter
10-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Key West went off nicely, I was out on 8-10 meter kites. Really nice smooth winds and warm too. The Sun was out all day.

AEsco48
10-30-2007, 10:32 PM
a 3-4-5meter would have been perfect in Miami

ricki
11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Wind is coming, maybe, is already going off Jupiter and points north. Been watching it creep south since this morning. I guess it may be on the Delray area within an hour or so? Fingers crossed, could be around 20 mph from the NE, hope not from the N. Then again, it may stall as happens at times.

ricki
11-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Windzon, hope it makes it to quiting time without squalls. Had a good session Monday through sunset and beyond.

AEsco48
11-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Wind!!

ricki
01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Anyone get out tonight? It was 16 to 21 kts. sideshore at Delray! Good homecoming.

windydayzz
01-13-2008, 07:34 AM
I going to go nuts if we don't get some good east wind. I live in homestead and rode almost half the days in Dec and now since the new year i have not been out. Is anyone else feeling this? I think we are having a bad season..

eclipsedave
01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
It was rockin in Jupiter fri.+sat. 20+ south! I finally got a chance to get guys+girls out on the 08 Eclipse kites in good conditions

ricki
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
It's 18 kts. gusting to 25 kts. north at Delray right now. Hope is bends sideshore over there from side off. Anyone know if it is rideable? Sure hope so.

ricki
01-15-2008, 06:29 AM
It was a bit lighter than I was hoping but at least it was sideshore most of the time. It was a nice twilight season.

Looks like the breeze and even wind are back. Here is the NWS forecast for the next several days:

COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL OUT 20 NM-
WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL EXTENDING FROM
20 NM TO 60 NM-
450 AM EST TUE JAN 15 2008

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR HAZARDOUS SEAS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE
TONIGHT FOR THE GULF STREAM

TODAY
NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT 6
TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET NEAR
SHORE AND UP TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP IN EXPOSED AREAS.

WEDNESDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET NEAR SHORE
AND UP TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY
IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO
8 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

THURSDAY
SOUTH WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET...EXCEPT
5 TO 7 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED
AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS THROUGH THE DAY. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

THURSDAY NIGHT
SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS
NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT
SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET
OR LESS NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

SATURDAY
WEST WINDS AROUND 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING NORTH AROUND
20 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET BECOMING 4 TO 6 FEET
IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP BECOMING
ROUGH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

ricki
01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
It's 15 to 21 kts. avg. 17 kts. north now. Hope it stays, builds and is bent to sideshore at Delray.

ricki
01-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Honking yet again and who's stuck at work??? Anyway, it is 17 kts. gusting to 22 kts. ENE. Probably some good waves starting to come on too. Maybe after work today ...

Daudbhai
04-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey Rick,

I haven't posted in a while but it seems that I will be a permanent resident of South Florida (Miami) very soon. I am moving out of the cold northeast and down to Miami. The catch is with spring and summer coming in Cape Cod the winds are usually best upper teens to mid 20's almost everyday. I will be sacrificing that for permanent residence in the sunshine state now but hoping not lose a season does the wind blow to ride at least one or two days a week?

BigR
04-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Maybe 10-15kts if real lucky, bring big kites 16M or bigger during summer at best

ricki
04-01-2008, 11:03 AM
In a "normal" year you should be good to about mid May. Unfortunately, useable wind can go on holiday for sometime after that until the fall. There can be bouts of poorly forecast seabreeze and the odd tropical system with a sufficiently large hole between storm cells to allow a reasonably safe session out through the summer.

ricki
04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Looks like the wind just shifted to north in Jupiter. ikitesurf has pretty strong stuff coming through as of 11 am. Average 34, lulls to 29 and gusts to 40 mph out of the north. If it stays north at the coast this will make it side offshore too. Pretty intense conditions, have a care if you head out rigged with the right sized kite.

ricki
04-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Thermal-rama!

Did anyone else grab some of this unforecast pretty good southerly breeze this afternoon? It seems to be climbing even now, up to 16 kts. gusting to almost 20? That is what the stationary meter says, I think it may read a bit high. Still, it was a fun unexpected session. Who else got some?

meangoat
04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Might have to check the weather when i get out at 6p. Might be some decent wind.

ricki
04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
It is offshore currently in SE Florida with the passage of a weak cold front. Thermals can crank the winds to useable sideshore conditions at times. Thermal winds normally kick in by 3 pm or earlier as a rule. No joy yet this afternoon. Still, you never know with thermals. They are rarely accurately forecast or cover large sections of coast. When you have them that is usually when you know. That is one reason this section was setup to allow folks to spread the joy when sudden wind shows up. So if you're at the beach and the wind pumps up from a useable sideshore direction from light or offshore, let us know here!

meangoat
04-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Christophe says we might be getting some wind by Wednesday this week. So im hoping that comes.

ricki
04-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Anyone grab some breeze time tonight? It backed off a bit once I arrived after work, naturally. Still, it was good for cruising, even managed to throw some jumps despite the lower winds.

HIGHFLYN
05-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I've seen better days, But one can't be choosie when summers closing in on us.

Currently 15-18mph SE in Boynton

ricki
05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
thanks! windomatic is down, was hoping it was in that range.

linhster
05-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Fort Pierce was rocking... We had a nice turn out. Check the chart but I think it was in the mid 20s and gust in the 30s. Finally got to use my 7m. :lol:

ricki
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Fort Pierce was rocking... We had a nice turn out. Check the chart but I think it was in the mid 20s and gust in the 30s. Finally got to use my 7m. :lol:

Did you have good swells to go with? If so must have been an epic session. Had a good one down here although the wind was gusting to about 20 mph and hanging in the mid to low teens. Wonder how Miami did? Perhaps all the SE got some good wind today.

ricki
05-08-2008, 10:08 PM

Did you have good swells to go with? If so must have been an epic session. Ft. Pierce is incredible in strong winds with good waves. Had a good one down here although the wind was gusting to about 20 mph and hanging in the mid to low teens. Wonder how Miami did? Perhaps all the SE got some good wind today.

linhster
05-08-2008, 11:02 PM
The waves were not quite as epic. Although right before we all left, there was a thunderstorm that was just arriving and it did bring some nicer waves.

HIGHFLYN
05-09-2008, 12:48 PM
REPEAT of yesterday here in Boynton Beach (maybe even a bit better then)

Wind just turned side-on shore 15-18kts SSE

ricki
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Too funny, you just beat me to it. I thought it was supposed to be offshore today. That is still coming later on this afternoon per the PBC forecast. It looks great for now. Watch out for the afternoon side offshore shift. Guys have sent boards drifting up to OBX by getting caught out. I'll have to miss out on this one so get some extra shredding in for me.

HIGHFLYN
05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
9-26-06 (page #2)
you beat me to it! WAY TO GO! See you at the beach.

5-09-08
Too funny, you just beat me to it.

Just like old times ~

I thought..... well it was offshore eairly this am. So I left my gear at home.... Oooops you think I'd have learned by now (anytime theres South in it, BRING YOUR GEAR with you)

ricki
05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Yes indeed, just like old times. Hope someone grabbed the wind on Friday and Saturday. I had to sit this one out unfortunately. Hope some useable wind comes through this week. May is hanging in there.

HIGHFLYN
05-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Wind just came on SSE 15+ kts @ LW

ricki
05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Sounds good. Just stopped by the beach in Boca Raton about an hour ago. The wind was sideshore out of the south, 13 mph gusting to around 16 mph. Looking at the clear sky, I think it might grow stronger with thermals as the afternoon goes on. Of course there is a front inbound and the wind should shift side offshore from the SW sometime today/tonight per NWS. Grab it while you can and watch out for the offshore shift.

ricki
06-02-2008, 01:49 PM
14 - 16 SE in delray

note- couldn't see west, it's dragging a thermal cloud stack seaward

check radar

ricki
06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
12 to 16 kts., average 13 kts. SE reported in Delray with no squalls in site for now.

ricki
07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
just saw a guy overpowered on a 17 m flat kite at delray. no squalls near. thermal wind in low teens, gusting higher sse.

HIGHFLYN
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
just saw a guy overpowered on a 17 m flat kite at delray. no squalls near. thermal wind in low teens, gusting higher sse.

Today is a repeat of yesterday~ Get it while you can!

ricki
07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Today is a repeat of yesterday~ Get it while you can!

Missed it again, second day in a row too. Hope no one got caught in the wind shift offshore. Looks like a weak cold front in late July?! Amazing, times are changing. It looked nice until around a little after 6 pm. Next time.

Jeff
07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey Rick,
Yup You sure did miss it.. The last two days werent bad at all in Boynton. We were all out on 15s and had a great session for July. Yesterday at around 600 pm the wind did shift or totally died. I was right near the beach so i just swam in..The kite just fell right down and that was it . There was also a local news crew at out spot covering the drowing of a lobster diver from Delray. Sad to hear that..He drifted from delray to Gulfstream...

ricki
08-02-2008, 01:25 PM
12-15 FT. laud south

nasty squalls coming from west

check radar to see if you have time to rig

BizGuru
08-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Yeah I took my brother out on the drift boat fishing at 1:oo pm only to watch thermals build up and people start kiting.... =-( When we got back at 5 I ran to the beach right as the last guys were getting off the water...

ricki
08-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Yeah I took my brother out on the drift boat fishing at 1:oo pm only to watch thermals build up and people start kiting.... =-( When we got back at 5 I ran to the beach right as the last guys were getting off the water...

Sorry you missed it too. I noticed it went off again yesterday, was good for a few hours then dropped like a rock and shifted offshore again. As long as I keep missing these sessions looks like you guys will be in for some good thermal winds?

Jeff
08-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Hi All,
We all had a great Lightwind day yesterday at our spot. We were all on 15s and had a blast. I never realized how great a light wind day can be,Sunny,Wind, Clear Water it was beautiful...After a while a few of us started racing each other back and fourth.. Didnt see anybody out in Delray but there was a kite or two up near the inlet. I would give yesterday a 10 not for the wind but for an overall lightwind fun day. Late afternoon it was all gone...Hope some of you others got out !

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2)
08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
im jonesing for some wind!! last time i felt wind and water on my face was driving down the highway, HURRY UP WIND SEASON!!! my last ride was my birthday, may 18th! im like a crack addict with no fix. i need me some wind.

HIGHFLYN
08-29-2008, 10:55 AM
13-15kts in Boca right now :)

~n~ Building?

ricki
08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
13-15kts in Boca right now :)

~n~ Building?

Just stopped by the beach in that area over lunch. Waves are building and you can see wind lines being driven from the NE. I think it is build, thanks to the gradient between TS Gustav and the system to the north. It's 16 - 18, avg. 16 kts. ENE in Delray currently. Barring storms, didn't see much of that at lunch, it is ON!

ricki
08-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Nice session today at Delray. I was a little worried about being swept over by a particularly nasty feeder band from Gustav just south down the coast earlier today. It looks like Gustav pulled far enough west to yank the feeder bands west with it and off my part of the east coast. Had no squalls at all for the second day session. I had a choice between 13 m and 7 m in new flat kites. Have several in between but they are a couple of years old. So, I opted for the 7 m. Guys were out on 9 to 12 m, must have been pretty lit on the larger kites. I did ok with quite a bit of sining at critical points. Well offshore about a mile out I could lock it in quite a bit. Even saw a pod of dolphins out there! They kept sounding and swimming off so I couldn't manage to get them to jump when I did. Next time! I hope no one went out in the squalls earlier today. It's sunny now and this one is over, til next time. Fingers crossed on those systems.

How did you do today?

HIGHFLYN
09-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Haha~ Great job there on the 7m Rick, We went over to the West coast and Surfed the Jetties in Venice, FL

It was Fantastic, Chest to 1-2ft Over head with 20+mph Offshore winds. Seems as though there is still some wind here (PBC) this am along with a some waist to chest high surf. I'm off to the beach w/my 14m and surfboard!!!

Gustav has been good to FL~

ricki
09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Haha~ Great job there on the 7m Rick, We went over to the West coast and Surfed the Jetties in Venice, FL

It was Fantastic, Chest to 1-2ft Over head with 20+mph Offshore winds. Seems as though there is still some wind here (PBC) this am along with a some waist to chest high surf. I'm off to the beach w/my 14m and surfboard!!!

Gustav has been good to FL~

Sounds like fun, surf on the SW coast, there's a contrast! It was good this morning then the wind backed off, great swells too! I kept switching from my smaller to monster board, fun stuff either way. See it is blowing through nicely right now. Lots of guys are catching up on all that no wind time over the last few days.

How did folks do today?

ricki
10-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Things are looking up for the weekend ...

SATURDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING 15 TO 20 KNOTS
IN THE AFTERNOON. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET BUILDING TO 3 TO
5 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET
NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 6 TO 8 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE
OF THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine.php

Maybe the wind will come a bit earlier and stay longer. Have fun!

caribkitesurf
10-03-2008, 08:05 PM
yeah ... saw a forecast like that today, believe it when i see it... might get lucky and get some wind last day here in miami tomorrow. heres hoping!

ricki
10-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Sorry guys, it looks like it has changed. Lots of weather inbound. Doesn't seem to have a lot of large holes either at this point.

More at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

BizGuru
10-05-2008, 01:10 AM
Well I was at the beach at 8am, messed around on the key for a nice session at 3:00pm when the skies cleared.

HIGHFLYN
10-05-2008, 02:56 PM
There's still a few hours of daylight left (3:56pm) , In PBC it's currently 15-18kts ENE & building?

I kited this AM on a 14HP, But it looks to be w-a-y winder at the moment!

troubleshooter
10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Woohoo!

Looking like the 20's for Sunday Monday Tuesday.... Ikitesurf forecast for Crandon.

Bring it on!

ricki
10-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Hope you're right. It would be good to see folks get some nice storm-free wind for a change.

I haven't had much luck with ikitesurf forecasts. Their realtime winds, weatherflow and other resources are great. The computer generated forecasts were rarely accurate however. How have they been doing lately?

Be sure to checkout the resources we have laid on for our area. Over time they've been pretty good with the odd exception at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

troubleshooter
10-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Now why do u have to try and burst my bubble:rolleyes:

I hear ya. I'll use your resources and we'll see. I think with this area the iKite is a computer generated forecast and places like Hatteras and such have a live forecaster.

ricki
10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Nope, not in this case. The NWS forecast implies the same for Sunday (at the above link).

SATURDAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING 15 TO 20 KNOTS.
SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.
SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

We never had human forecasters checking the machine info down here in the past at ikitesurf. Have they added a forecaster down here?

troubleshooter
10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
We never had human forecasters checking the machine info down here in the past at ikitesurf. Have they added a forecaster down here?

Any iKite guys cruise the forum that can give us some feedback?

Im likin' that Sunday forecast. Nice direction too. It's time to dump the easterly and get some good coastal wind directions for a change. Lets keep it going til June!

SQFrederick
10-13-2008, 07:11 AM
I haven't seen any sign of a live forecaster in south Florida... It's all just computer forecasts, and they usually aren't that close... I've been pretty disappointed with iKite since I got here. At least it does give me some idea of what the wind is currently doing...

HIGHFLYN
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
It's not Epic, But it's kiteable. None of the sensors are showing it either due to it being almost Due North. But from LW south it's 14-18kts and building

This is your chance to get your share of some Ocean "flat" water, before it swings around to NE this afternoon.

Peace~ I'm off to the beach

ricki
10-30-2008, 11:57 AM
It's not Epic, But it's kiteable. None of the sensors are showing it either due to it being almost Due North. But from LW south it's 14-18kts and building

This is your chance to get your share of some Ocean "flat" water, before it swings around to NE this afternoon.

Peace~ I'm off to the beach

Looks like it just turned NE at around 12 to 15 kt.. May build, hope so. Have fun out there!

troubleshooter
10-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Wooooohoooo!..........Again

NE 20-25 knots for Friday and 15-20 for Saturday. Sunday time to recover.

From iKite: Crandon Station

10/28/08: The building to which we are attached is undergoing renovations. We plan to install a new station, but do not have a date just yet. We hope to have it up in a month or so. We apologize for the inconvenience.

That sucks the big one. Down for a whole month in prime time? What building is the sensor attached to thats under enovation? Anyone know?

ricki
10-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Saw a ton of kites off Delray at lunch. Had did it go today guys? Lots of wind and no storms that I noticed.

troubleshooter
10-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Sweet day at Crandon. Averaging at least in the 20 knots. And man was it gusty. Thank god for depower.

But even with the gusts it was nice and solid wind and some really nice riding. Will do it again in the morining. Will have to see what the winds are forecast to be.

Edit:

Wow. Just checked iKite. Consistant gusts upper 30's to low 40's (mph) all afetrnoon with a rock solid 20 knots. Guess the meter is back up

ricki
02-16-2009, 12:42 PM
NE 20 gusting to 26 kts. at Delray, windzhere!

Safe_Cracker
02-16-2009, 01:04 PM
14 gusting to 18 here with an occasional 20 :) here in Pompano. All I have to say where the heck is everyone? I was down at 1000 s trimming a thruster 8m for like 2 hours with a little skimming I was surprised there wasn't many out... Polo.

ricki
03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Who got some wind over the weekend? Grabbed some in Islamorada and Palm Beach. It was on the lighter side but nice to get back into it.

ricki
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Wind has been blowing for how long? Not stopping yet, forecast looks great for the weekend but keep an eye out for squalls ...

Rest Of Today...South winds around 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Tonight...Southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday...South winds 15 to 20 knots. Near shore...seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet. Well offshore...seas 4 to 6 feet. Northeast swell around 2 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday Night...South winds 15 to 20 knots. Near shore...seas 4 to 6 feet subsiding to 2 to 3 feet. Well offshore...seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.

Sunday...South winds 20 to 25 knots with higher gusts. Seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 5 to 7 feet well offshore. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine/

ricki
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Outstanding or what???! Some nice conditions today. Probably best for a 9 or 10 m but in new kites I have 7 to 12 +. Figured I would risk the 7 m, rigged it big and hope for the best. I was amazed to come to shore to retune it for LESS power. It doesn't boost all that great in marginal winds but for ripping in strong winds, in and around waves it works well. Locking in most of the time too.

How else got some good water time in?

theshiatispimpin101
03-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Wind was extreme all day, 30 knts up to 40 knts, to much for my 10 meter switchblade which is sadly my smallest kite atm. I decided to drive out to EB to see what was going on, noticed some 7s and maybe smaller not sure. Watched as mike hall and billy parker did some huge jumps and kite loops :D

troubleshooter
03-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Had about 15-20 knots in the keys today. Very nice riding. Solid wind too because it was just coming rocksolid off the water coming inland. Just enough side on to get you safely out there.

30 -40 knots??? Where was this?

ricki
04-07-2009, 05:51 PM
4 - 6 ft. glassy faces off pbc, go standup! (winds offshore)

ricki
04-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Got your smaller kites? Wind is coming ...

"Tonight...East winds 15 to 20 knots becoming 20 to 25 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas.

Saturday...East winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas.

Saturday Night...East winds 20 to 25 knots becoming 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas.

Sunday...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Monday...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Monday Night And Tuesday...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas."
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/marine/

ricki
04-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Where's the wind coming from?

"Synopsis
A ridge of surface high pressure will strengthen across the western Atlantic Ocean through early next week...maintaining a very strong flow of easterly winds across the local waters. The threat for shower activity will be highest in the Atlantic waters...but will be a slight chance at best...as an upper-level ridge of high pressure is forecast to remain in place over the region."

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con_pres.gif
It's all about pressure differential, say between that big high over Bermuda and lower pressures out in the Gulf of Mexico. or at http://dadecosurf.com/images/tanal.1.gif

The greater the differential, the stronger the winds as in ...

http://www.sailflow.com/cgi-bin/mapperv2.jpg?regionID=171&regionProductID=30&date=04%2F25%2F2009%2015%3A00&websiteID=4&tid=453&hid=57612577&rid=293943272&model_time_id=1517103
http://www.sailflow.com/images/legends/30.forecast.gif

conchxpress
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Smathers was crankin Friday, Sat, and Sunday with 20-24 east winds. Riding was best in the mornings and very early afternoon, since the new moon sucked all the water out by 3 pm. It was like someone just pulled the plug in the bathtub. At low tide, you could walk out to the posts and still be in thigh deep water. Winds forecast to continue thru tomorrow and back off on Tuesday. Besides the locals, there were riders from Jupiter, Orlando, Illinois, and France. With gusty conditions and kickers out past the jetty, everyone got a good workout. Sorely missed was Greg, who was in Missouri???!!!! Riders new to the area were eager to talk to the locals to find out the conditions and local etiquette. It was a great weekend.

Frank

dwnwndr?
04-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Frank - I was in KW for a wedding up from South America, first time kiting at Smathers -- I read the do/don'ts & checked the pics that are posted on the FKA forum & hit up a few of the folks standing around the launch area before heading out, really helpful tips & assistance getting kite up/down in that little launch. Must say I felt quite welcome by the local crew & wanted to say thanks -- same thing for the guys up at Whale Harbor (Other Side & 7) two good sessions on the way down & up the keys.

~ Saludos Aron

conchxpress
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Aron, glad you had a good experience in the Florida Keys. Everything went great despite the gusty conditions, which could have had dire consequences without everyone cooperating and looking out for each other. Just the way it should be. Everyone comes away with new friends and great sessions. I can't speak for Islamorada, but the core group at Smathers is a great bunch of guys - and gals. Thanks for your positive input.

ricki
05-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Nice session tonight! Squalls miles to the north and south but blue skys and white benign clouds in the middle where I was. Nice wind too, about 18 to 25 kts. and head high+ swells. Great when things work out, could have just as easily been shut down by squalls.

Anyone else get some quality water time?

linhster
05-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Got a session in with Greg for about an hour in Fort Pierce. The condition were similar up here. I heard there were some folks out earlier in the day. :-)

ricki
09-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Evening winds?

Seems that may be want is on tap for the next few days per the NWS forecast. Had some lows around 6 mph but gusts to about 18 mph with average winds around 14 mph at the Dania Pier last night. It looks like it started to fill in after 5 pm or so. Still daylight then for a while anyway.

ricki
10-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Another nice all be it real short session tonight. Waves and good wind around 20 to 25 kts. Got squalled out in short order though, less than 45 minutes. Still, it was good to get out and I shot some GoPro video. Stayed tuned for that. How else got some wind time today?

troubleshooter
11-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Ok. Someone get their funk on and do the wind dance. Another little fart pushing thru on Wed/Thurs but its all west :(.

We need some wind!

noel
11-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Not sure what your looking at. Here's what I see.

Maybe 15 knots by dark on tuesday.
20 knots se-s all day wednesday.
Some time thursday comes the west wind.
20-25 knots from the north on friday.

ricki
11-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Wind is forecast on the way to the SE later on tomorrow, Wednesday and back again Friday. Maybe some squalls too so be sure to look for them in the forecast and on the water. Wind is back, soon.

troubleshooter
11-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Oh yeah. Its looking better now. Not what I saw yesterday. This is going to be a slow moving front thats going to give us the full spectrum of the wind with a closeout from the NE just in time for the weekend.

ricki
12-02-2009, 08:00 AM
SE 23 kts. in Delray and no squalls in sight, yet. Expect to see some possibly dangerous ones today but for now it is clear ... and at the office. Next time.

troubleshooter
12-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Ah heck. Now it all went to crap again. Hope you got your riding in today.

ricki
12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, maybe 8 tacks worth after 4:30 pm? Wasn't the shortest session ever but well on the way. I opted to use a 7 m as it has particularly light bar pressure for my messed up wrists. Don't need to wear all the obnoxious splints with this setup. When I checked the wind online it looked doable, at the lower end. Got there, the first few tacks went fine, with a moderate level of power. Had nice seas too around 6 to 8 ft. outside. Eventually though I was having trouble riding upwind, at least as far as I wanted to go. I finally headed in, wind waited a bit decided it was lulling further and called it a day. It was still good to get out, all be it for a short ride. Who else got some today? Starting early was the way to go.

ricki
12-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Useable wind in the forecast for tomorrow ...

Synopsis...A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST THIS EVENING. A SURFACE LOW MAY DEVELOP OVER THE WESTERN ATLANTIC TODAY GENERATING A NORTH TO NORTHEAST SWELL THAT COULD BEGIN TO AFFECT THE LOCAL ATLANTIC WATERS BY SUNDAY NIGHT.

$$ .GULF STREAM HAZARDS...WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS.

THE APPROXIMATE LOCATION OF THE WEST WALL OF THE GULF STREAM AS OF DEC 04, 2009 AT 1200 UTC...

3 NAUTICAL MILES NORTHEAST OF FOWEY ROCKS. 5 NAUTICAL MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF PORT EVERGLADES. 4 NAUTICAL MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF LAKE WORTH. 5 NAUTICAL MILES EAST OF JUPITER INLET.

THIS DATA COURTESY OF THE NAVAL OCEANOGRAPHIC OFFICE.
Tonight...North winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 3 to 5 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Sunday...Northeast winds 12 to 17 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Sunday Night...East winds 12 to 17 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. North swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=232&map.y=225&site=mfl&zmx=1&zmy=1

Sounds like what they used to call NE 15 to 20 kts., maybe. Rain at 20% suggests not a lot of squalls left.

Whitey
12-05-2009, 05:31 PM
If you get over there tomorrow what we had here today, it will be a lot more that 15 to 20. It was smoking in the Tampa Clearwater area today. Close to 30 at times and steady 23 to 25 kts. Hope you get it tomorrow on the east coast, have fun.

troubleshooter
12-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Yes. May get ridable for Sunday. This week has been the most squirly forecast. Normaly, these frontal forecasts are pretty solid. This one, every time you check the next forecast it changes....significantly. Plus, whens the last time you saw a forcast like the one below for Deerfield to Ocean Reef.....12-17 knots......13-18 knots. They are distinguishing between 1 knot????

.TONIGHT...NORTH WINDS 17 TO 22 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.SUNDAY...NORTHEAST WINDS 13 TO 18 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
.SUNDAY NIGHT...EAST WINDS 12 TO 17 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET
SUBSIDING TO 2 FEET OR LESS. EAST SWELL 2 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS
A MODERATE CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

ricki
12-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Yes, mainly off SE Florida though, still doing 5 kt. increments elsewhere. No clue why? Maybe they're giving us what we've been asking for, more accurate forecasts?

Glad you guys in Tampa had a great wind day!

troubleshooter
12-05-2009, 09:57 PM
What do you think. Enough east in the forecast for the Whale. I always hate dead on NE forecast for the keys becuase its a hit or miss situation. A little too much N in the NE and its shutdown. A little more E in the NE and its lit. Anyone gamble?

HIGHFLYN
03-28-2010, 06:31 AM
South Palm Beach this AM is ESE 15-20kts w/some fun 2-4ft wind chop and the radar is clear (for the time being)

Forecast to pick up thru out the day http://www.fmvperformance.com/forum_items/Smileys/default/goodjob.gif

fredanson
03-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Intermediate Kiter visiting, and looking for good locations to kite around palm beach Sunday with this wind. Prefer to get some local knowledge before heading out. Thanks in advance.

ricki
03-28-2010, 09:06 AM
You will likely find other riders close to Palm Beach in Jupiter to the north or Delray Beach to the south. There are waves in both spots, perhaps around 3 to 4 ft. maybe a bit more off Jupiter currently. More about each riding area in this forum in the stickies.

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2086
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=349

Be sure to check in on weather conditions at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

ricki
04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Great wind weekend and out of no where. Well almost from the advanced forecast, was a great set of conditions. Who got some riding time in? Was able to hit it both days for a while.

troubleshooter
04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Nah. Got the short end of the stick. For some reason NOAA got stuck on the forecast for the Keys. It never went past Friday AM and I didnt notice. It switched from 15-20 to near 15. My last few experiences with near 15 have been pretty cruddy. Low and behold Im out midday Saturday and the wind is honkin. By that time it was too late and Sunday was out of the question.

Big mistake for so close to season end. Glad someone got to ride.

500EPILOT
04-26-2010, 08:26 AM
I had a great session at Whale Harbor yesterday, its seems that everybody rode so hard on Saturday and Sunday morning that I had the place all to myself at 2pm and rode until the wind dropped around 4pm!!!

Four20
04-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Rode annes ,whale and curry Sat and sun annes is good again today

ricki
04-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Glad some got some time in across the Keys. Had some waves on Saturday off Palm Beach Cty., smaller on Sunday but less chopped up due to the wind shift to side shore. It was blowing 24 kts. at points Sunday. Hope we get some more before things are turned off for the summer. Strange wind year we've been having.

troubleshooter
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Al lI know is I didnt get nearly enough riding in this season. It was exhausting looking for wind. Im gonna have to fork out some dough for a FS Silver Arrow 19 or Zephyr to get some summertime riding. I will laugh if we get consistent 15-20 knot easterlies all summer.

troubleshooter
04-26-2010, 08:09 PM
knock on wood....knock knock....Wind comin this weekend again. Fri/Sat 15-20 E-SE

ricki
06-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Wind the last two days in early June too???! It was gusting around 20 kts. last night, clear sunny conditions as well. Wonder if it will happen again tonight?

patternw
06-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Wind looks like its back for a few days.

What is the current process for riding at Matheson, now that there are new regulations in place? I don't want to rush out of work to get out there only to find that I'm not able to ride...any information that I should be aware of would be great.

Thanks.

ricki
06-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Breeze is here, unusual for June. Seems to be in the low to mid teens currently. As hot and clear as it seems to be we may get some thermals to boost things even higher as the day goes on. The breeze is related to a tropical wave, hope things stay calm in the hurricane department as always.

Here's the forecast:

Today...East winds 14 to 17 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Tonight...East winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Wednesday...East winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Wednesday Night...East winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Thursday...East winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Thursday Night...East winds 14 to 17 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Friday...East winds 11 to 14 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers and thunderstorms.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=289&map.y=76&site=mfl&zmx=1&zmy=1

I would guess there will be some squalls moving through at points so check the normal weather resources and keep an eye open at the launch.

ps - I will ask Kent to make a post about Matheson. Just hung up with him and posted an update to: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?p=45802#post45802

troubleshooter
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Sweet few days! Been cookin on a 10 meter in solid 20 knots all day. What an unexpected but nice surpirise for the end of June. I had my gear all packed away for the summer.

troubleshooter
06-28-2010, 05:51 AM
That was a really nice week last week. Wind everyday since Tuesday. I think the Keys got 1 or 2 extra days of wind through the weekend.

I hope everybody got a chance to get at least a day off and ride. I recall 2 years ago we got a good first week of June, last year it shut down for good in May. Maybe a sign of a few good summer days to get us through the off-season.

ricki
06-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Glad you got some good sessions in. I waited until quiting time and was pretty much skunked through the whole time. Could have gone out but with beach winds going from 7.5 to 12 mph near onshore with 3 to 4 ft. seas, it was doable at times but not necessarily a lot of fun. The further south you went, the better conditions were. Even going from Boca Raton to Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday brought the winds up into a more useable range. As far south as the lower Keys, things really improved substantially.

ricki
07-20-2010, 10:28 PM
NICE wind tonight, waves were pretty fun too. Who else got some? Looks like more on the way too.

troubleshooter
07-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Smokin' in the Keys today.....again.

Solid 20 knots all day. Never seen it be solid all day in the summer. Even had a few systems move through during the day that pushed it to 25-30 solid for about 20 minutes a piece. Wierd, no real squal line, just a few slightly grey clouds and it went from 20 to 25-30 knots just like that.

Had a week of solid riding in June and now this. Guess its making up for our crappy season. Wierd kiting in hot 20 knot winds.

greg meintjes
07-21-2010, 04:35 AM
The wind has been amazing down here this Summer, easily the best Summer season in years, lets hope this continues .....

Greg

ricki
07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Here comes the tropical system, soon tropical storm, with luck for South Florida just some wind (useable for the most part) and rain. I would watch out for squalls as always. A kiter was badly hurt already by a squall from the system in Puerto Rico. Would be great not to add to that number through carelessness. Looks clear out for the next little while with rising winds today with squalls inbound later on.

ricki
07-31-2010, 09:30 PM
NICE thermals yesterday before the squalls struck from inland. Seemed similar today but without all the fireworks around Ft. Lauderdale. Anyone get a session in? It must have been close to 20 at points last night when it was supposed to max 9 kts. side offshore!

ricki
09-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Great session again tonight, had another one Monday. Today there were these real nice 4 to 5 ft. ground swells forming about 300 ft. off the beach. NICE ramping swells! No squalls either and the wind was pretty good until after sunset when it eased a bit. Who else got some nice water time in today?

noel
09-02-2010, 01:24 PM
2 great days down here in Islamorada. A little gusty for some reason but got better in the afternoons. Tuesday afternoon on my 8m and yesterday on a 10m. A great summer session yesterday till I tomahawked my 10m and blew it up good thru the LE to the TE. $ = :( Not many people riding which also made it nice.

ricki
09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Got some nice wind for a while tonight, gusting into the mid 20 kt. range at one point. Nice waves to go with too. It was strange, most of the sky was clear to the north and south but there was a narrow 15 mile long squall line running due west right over where I normally ride. The squalls would keep appearing and running in too. They seemed to cover about a three mile width. There was blue sky to the south and a shelf cloud to the north at one point. Anyway, chose to head south instead of north and had a nice squall free session. Who else got some wind time in?

noel
09-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Tuesday was pretty good. By the end of the day, it was a solid 25. Yesterday was kind of a wash although a few people rode including myself but at times in the pouring rain. Alot of squalls yesterday. Today seems squally also. Can here thunder as I type.

ricki
09-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Glad you folks are continuing to have nice wind in the Keys. These tropical systems will throw off some strange looking squalls at times. Good thing they show up pretty far away as a rule. Enjoy the next week of wind!

Looks like we have steady wind on tap for the next several days off Palm Beach County. Nothing nuking but useable.

Today...East northeast winds 12 to 15 knots becoming 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. East swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Scattered showers.

Tonight...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. East northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday...East northeast winds 13 to 16 knots becoming 14 to 19 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. East northeast swell 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday Night...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots becoming 14 to 17 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. East northeast swell 2 feet increasing to 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday...Northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...North northeast winds 16 to 21 knots becoming northeast 12 to 15 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers through the night.

Monday...Northeast winds 12 to 17 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. Northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Monday Night...East northeast winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. North northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Tuesday...East northeast winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. North swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=282&map.y=69&site=mfl&zmx=1&zmy=1

greg meintjes
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Took these today of Nick (THE TONGUE) and Brenden at Smathers.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=34154&id=107471112610258

ricki
09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Looks like a nice session, thanks for posting Greg! Here are a few for folks that aren't on Facebook:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs669.snc4/60944_155729584451077_107471112610258_382747_34388 47_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs650.snc4/61049_155730244451011_107471112610258_382752_37094 53_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs330.ash2/61049_155730251117677_107471112610258_382754_23058 35_n.jpg

Great shots although that last one looks painful?

Had a nice sunset session in front of the lighthouse tonight playing with some video camera perspectives. It is nice to have wind!

ricki
10-04-2010, 08:41 AM
WOW ...

Synopsis...THE PRESSURE GRADIENT BETWEEN HIGH PRESSURE OVER THE EASTERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY AND LOW PRESSURE OVER THE GREATER ANTILLES WILL GRADUALLY TIGHTEN THROUGH THE NEXT FEW DAYS LEADING TO INCREASING WINDS AND SEAS ACROSS THE LOCAL AREA WATERS THROUGH THE WEEK.
Today...North northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers.

Tonight...North northeast winds 14 to 19 knots near shore to north northeast 18 to 23 knots in the gulf stream. Near shore...seas 5 to 7 feet. In the gulf stream...seas 5 to 7 feet building to 7 to 9 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Tuesday...North northeast winds 17 to 22 knots near shore to north northeast 21 to 26 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 7 to 9 feet near shore and up to 9 to 11 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters choppy. Chance of showers.

Tuesday Night...North northeast winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 9 to 11 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Chance of showers.

Wednesday...North northeast winds 21 to 26 knots. Seas 9 to 11 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy. Slight chance of showers.

Wednesday Night...North northeast winds 19 to 24 knots. Seas 8 to 10 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Thursday...North northeast winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Thursday Night...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

Friday...Northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=292&map.y=67&site=mfl&zmx=1&zmy=1

ricki
10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
15 to 28, avg. 23 mph in Jupiter and 18 to 22, avg. 20 mph in Pompano right now out of the NNE. It's here!

ricki
10-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Forecast looks good for the weekend!

Coastal waters from Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach FL out 20 NM (AMZ650)

Friday...Northeast winds 12 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Friday Night...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday...East northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday Night...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday...East southeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...East southeast winds 14 to 17 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

Anto
10-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Looks good! Thanks Rick, you just gave me the motivation to do a little kite trip there this weekend. I will leave Sarasota tomorrow morning, I think Jupiter is the closest spot for me to find some good winds this weekend.
If somebody from Tampa Bay wants a ride, let me know :D

I never rode 'big' waves, I saw these spots in Jupiter:

http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/loc/jupiter_inlet.html
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/loc/jupiter_civic_center.html
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitesurf/loc/juno_kitebeach.html

Juno Kitebeach seems great, but maybe there is an other one better in/around Jupiter? I ride for 3 years in flat water, I'm glad to try some waves finally :D

Antonin

ricki
10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Hello Antonin,

The forecast and the wave height projections appear below. I like Jupiter but have also been riding in waves for almost 12 years on kites. I can recall folks having difficulties in the break there if they weren't used to it. NE is close to onshore there, toss in a breaker line and getting out can be difficult at times. These aren't very big conditions for Juno/Jupiter either as it can get quite a bit larger.

For a first time in waves, you might do better a bit further south IF waves develop as forecast. This may not happen this time. With each inlet you pass heading south the wave height drops. Delray Beach might be better for you although even there getting out can be challenging at times with near onshore winds. For a first time out you would do a lot better with side or side onshore winds. These aren't in the forecast in the area unfortunately for this weekend. The kite beach is south of Atlantic Ave, off the guarded beach about 150 yards south of Casurina Road. We need to stay away from the guarded beach there. There is about a mile and a half of private beach south of there with fewer issues. If the winds are lighter or later in arriving the waves could well be less of a factor.

Regarding Juno, I would ignore the other two spots particularly the inlet as the beach can be very narrow, there can also be surfers and tidal currents. Not a good spot for a first venture. You might be fine in Juno but the place to go is kitebeach, about a mile north of the Juno fishing pier and well south of the Inlet. The waves may not be much of an issue depending on how conditions develop. I would be sure to check the forecast again tonight and even in the morning if you are driving over Saturday. There is a nice livecam of Jupiter inlet and Boca Raton further south which shows conditions similar to Delray at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

Have a good trip!

Tonight...East northeast winds 12 to 17 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Dominant period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Saturday...East northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday Night And Sunday...East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers.

Sunday Night...East southeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers and thunderstorms.

Anto
10-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Hello Rick,

Thank you I really appreciate your advices, very useful particularly when you never went to a spot :)
I'll check the forecast and webcam tomorrow morning before to leave.

I don't have any problem to ride upwind, but it could be a lot more difficult with the Atlantic's waves. If the waves seems to big at Kitebeach, I'll go directly to Delray Beach.

I'm glad to go there, it's been a while I didn't spent all day kiteboarding :D

ricki
10-23-2010, 05:49 AM
You are welcome Antonin. If you look at the zone wind forecasts moving southward down the coast you will see things pick up as you move towards the south. The zone north of Jupiter is expecting around 15 kts. and the zone immediately south of it, 15 to 19 kts. If you look at ikitesurf right now that is what the winds are approximating. It is around 12 off Jupiter right now, not real good, further south it picks up. The wind has been going all night so there will be waves at least long the windier parts of the coast. So, Delray should be a bit stronger than Jupiter from what is showing up this morning. It is a tighter, congested launch with a narrow corridor for access beyond 100 yards but NE 16 St. in Pompano might be even a bit better than Delray. Lower waves and a bit more wind from current indications. The launch rules are posted on a sign there if you go. As you know, all this varies daily. Often Jupiter has more wind than points south, just not this time.

Anto
10-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Thank you Rich; I followed your advice, I went to Pompano because it looked more windy.
In the middle of the afternoon, it was very light but at the end of the day, it was really perfect in 14m.
The waves was not very big and it was OK to get out.

It was very good, except the fact that I lost my GoPro HD (and my leash didn't resist...) and I hurt my feet. It is weird because my feet was more or less good after the shock, and at 9pm when I was eating it begins to hurt so bad, impossible to walk! I came back at the motel on one leg, I put ice, but it didn't change anything, I had a lot of pain for few hours. I took Ibuprofene and tried to sleep, and this morning, I feel a lot better. It is very strange, the pain was so intense last night I thought I will be injured for weeks, but at the final, I'm almost good to ride this afternoon :lol:

Despite that I don't regret this trip and I will do it again soon to get this great east wind, very happy to have rode the Atlantic ;)

ricki
10-24-2010, 08:59 PM
You are welcome! It picked up again nicely today, Sunday, hope you felt up to getting out. Some guys were even on 9 m kites. I did a short six mile round winder shooting video from the kite and chest harness. I am sorry to hear about your GoPro. I dropped one free diving on a wreck in 125 ft. of water in lower visibility a month or so ago, sucks. Still, it beats dropping a camera worth several thousand dollars! Sorry to hear about your foot injury, hope it heals fully and fast! Keep working at wave riding if you like it, it can grow on you.

Anto
10-25-2010, 08:11 AM
I went to Juno Kitebeach yesterday, but unfortunately when I walked my feet was not very good, so I stayed on the beach (I prefer to miss one sesh than to be injured longer!)

The wind was very good, and the waves really bigger than at Pompano. Indeed, it is probably better to have a side wind to begin in this condition! I can't wait to come back there. I saw some crazy moves in surf, it was pretty interesting to watch.

It sucks for my GoPro, I don't have the budget to buy it again, but it is just materiel so I don't want to feel too sad about it, next time my leash will be indestructible :D

ricki
11-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Nice session last night, waves and moon. Could have used more consistent wind but it was fun all the same. Anyone else get one in?

Safe_Cracker
11-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Actually Ricki this is the most wind I have seen on my holiday trip 17th-29th, ever! I rode almost every night under that moon between Lauderdale pier and Pompano pier only I think it was two or three nights it didn't blow. I choose not to go to far out usually the swim buoy because I alway feel like shark bait and I use extra flotation for that " JUST IN CASE" moment ;) . Now the other night (28th) was spectacular, the moon didn't come out till 12:40 and when it did was a deep, dark yellow. I finished up that night with a down winder from Lauderdale to 16th, fricken awesome. I returned back to Chicago with a HUGE smile can't wait to come back in Feburary. For now I will have to settle with Lake Michigan which tomorrow when I go to Miller Beach in Gary IN will be 29F 20kt gusting to 25kt with a water temperature of low 40's :p REFRESHING WOOHOOO!!! Hold down the fort till I get back...

Polo:cool:

ricki
12-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Glad you had a good trip with wind! Sounds like some intense dry suit weather back home. Stay warm and safe and see you back down here in February.

troubleshooter
12-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Ugh!...I hope we are not getting in to that north/west wind pattern like last season. Kickin' 20-25 on Sunday late thru Monday......but west in it:mad:

ricki
12-11-2010, 06:57 AM
No wind to speak of, fog as of 8 am but there seems to some nice swells. At least there was when things were under fog. Good for surfing, SUP in the waves or sponging. Here's shots from Jupiter and southern Palm Beach County:

http://evsjupiter.netfirms.com/zoo001t.jpg

http://www.evsboca.com/lat001t.jpg

More at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

ricki
02-13-2011, 09:04 AM
A bit late but was that GREAT wind or what yesterday afternoon. I was able to go out late for a couple of hours. Had good close side shore wind away from the beach and landshadow boosting into the mid 20's or so. Wore a good full wetsuit so cold wasn't an issue. It sure was nice not to be underpowered for a change. Who else got some?

jibber006
02-13-2011, 10:03 AM
please contact if you have any info on a blue Jimmy Lewis twin tip, lost on SoBe saturday feb. 12th

mahalo!

ricki
03-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Starting tonight by the forecast, its about time too! This is for Palm Beach County but nice rideable winds are forecast for the entire east coast of Florida!

"Tonight...Northeast winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Dominant dominant period 3 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated thunderstorms in the evening. Chance of showers through the night.

Wednesday...Northeast winds 14 to 17 knots near shore to northeast 17 to 22 knots in the gulf stream. Seas 4 to 6 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Dominant period 8 seconds. East northeast swell around 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Wednesday Night...East northeast winds 16 to 21 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. North swell around 2 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Thursday Through Saturday...East winds 18 to 23 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. North northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters rough in exposed areas. Slight chance of showers."
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=280&map.y=68&site=mfl&zmx=1&zmy=1

ricki
03-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Nice wind run for several days through the weekend. Looks like more rideable wind on and off through the week. It is feeling more like a "normal" wind season this week, here's to it!

ricki
03-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Where did this come from? Hope it happens!

"Sunday...Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet building to 4 to 6 feet in the afternoon. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday Night...East northeast winds 17 to 22 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet building to 7 to 9 feet. North swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers.

Monday...East northeast winds 14 to 19 knots. Seas 7 to 9 feet. North northeast swell 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers. "

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=287&map.y=66&site=mfl&zmx=1&zmy=1

ricki
04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Rare good rideable wind is up, SE to SSE in the mid to upper teen mph range. Go grab some if you can!

ricki
04-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Got out late, was well powered on a 13 m, could have gone a bit smaller. It was nice to have some "normal" spring wind for once. Who else got some?

ricki
04-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow, nice session today or what! Winds 17 to 22 gusting to 25 kts. at one point. Fun times and no squalls in my area but some miles to the north and south at points. I was hoping to at least get 12 to 15 kts. per the forecast. Photos to come.

ricki
04-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Looks like 15 to 20 kts E in the Keys through Monday. Have fun down there!

ricki
04-29-2011, 06:43 AM
It looks good in the SE from the forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Hope it happens!

Tonight...Northeast winds 13 to 16 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Isolated thunderstorms in the evening. Isolated showers through the night.

Saturday...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Dominant period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Saturday Night...East northeast winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Sunday And Sunday Night...East winds 13 to 18 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas.

Monday Through Tuesday...East southeast winds 11 to 14 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=284&map.y=67&site=mfl&zmx=1&zmy=1

ricki
04-30-2011, 08:56 AM
The wind turned on within the hour. It is up to 17 to 20 kts. NE in Delray!

ricki
04-30-2011, 09:48 PM
What a great day in parts of Palm Beach County. I know the wind was lighter at points to the north and south but we lucked out today. Winds were around 13 to 20 kts. for most of the day, ENE with some waves nearshore to go with. The water was clear and blue at points, almost felt like the Bahamas at times.

Hope some other kiters got some quality wind time in today. Tomorrow's winds should be more widespread by the forecast.

ricki
05-29-2011, 03:53 AM
Better late than never ... WIND is on the way!!!

South Florida is forecast to have several days or more of wind in the 15 to 20 kts. range starting tomorrow. This May hasn't been that bad really, not nuking but rideable for quite a few days. Hope you can get out and grab some quality water time.

More at:

BigR
05-29-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't suppose there'll be any way to kite from crandon next weekend?..........

gotta resort back to the old ways I guess..........

ricki
05-29-2011, 09:16 AM
No, as far as I understand it, we're done riding there on weekends until after Labor Day. Its an annual tradition after all. You can hop a sea taxi boat to the flats however.

BigR
05-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I dislike flat water,

but there are ways 2 launch just gotta be creative

Very unusual to get the forecast wind in June, Hope I didn't jinx it

ricki
05-29-2011, 04:41 PM
There is that, then again you would do better for waves further north anyway. Why not check out Ft. Pierce or Jupiter on Tuesday if you can fit it in? Although he wind is supposed to stay up longer further south, perhaps for much of the week, even Palm Beach might not be a bad prospect.

BigR
05-29-2011, 06:25 PM
we'll see what the forecast brings,
my crash pad is MIA so logistically............

ricki
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Hope it comes through. We had some great winds at the end of May three years ago. It would be nice to have it again!

ricki
05-30-2011, 07:33 AM
It is here and it is rideable now! Why are we being treated in the forecasts to about a week of late "season" (such as it was) wind? Checkout this video cast:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/media/mfl/articulate/Videocast/player.html

ricki
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Blowing about 16 kts. SSE between Delray and Dania. A stack of thermal squalls seems to be moving seaward from the Everglades. Grab some wind time if you can before the squalls come too close bringing gusts and lightning.

volume311
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
The afternoon sea breeze has been pumpin the last two days. Out from Noon-5 in Dania both days. Clear flat water and enough to have a good time.

11.5 Kahoona and a twin tip for reference.

ricki
09-02-2011, 01:46 PM
16 kts. in Delray, squalls are moving side shore well off the coast for now. Sun is out, riding time!

ricki
09-05-2011, 12:35 PM
16 avg. gusting to 19 kts. SSE in Delray!

ricki
10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
HOWZAWIND??? ... mighty fine!!!

Got out last night for the first time in a month. It was nice to well powered, find it cuts the wrist irritation way down not to be underpowered. Shot some interesting images too, stay tuned for that. Who else got some? More to come for the next several days, 15 to 20 kts. + from the forecast, yeeha!

ricki
02-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Sunday is looking STRONG, ride within your abilities and rig right for the conditions!

Saturday Night...North northwest winds 21 to 26 knots. Near shore... Seas 4 to 6 feet. In the gulf stream...seas 5 to 7 feet building to 8 to 10 feet. Dominant period 7 seconds. Intracoastal waters choppy.

Sunday...North winds 20 to 25 knots with gusts to around 35 knots. Seas 6 to 8 feet near shore and up to 8 to 10 feet in the gulf stream. North swell 3 to 4 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.