PDA

View Full Version : Miami Wind

gonzoski
05-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi, I´m going to be in miami till monday 31, the forecast says a few knot next friday in key west. Someone can tell what can I do, if it´s somethimg to do??? thanks

ricki
05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Sorry, the wind forecast for South Florida and the Keys is looking pretty light for now. It seems a weak front is moving through clocking winds to the west for a few days. There is a fairly low rain chance between now and Monday in the forecast. It is possible some seabreezes or thermal winds not in the forecast could set up on one or more afternoons between now and Monday. No guarantees but it is a possibility. Also, just because the forecast says winds will be light, doesn't mean it works out that way all the time, things change. Thermal sea breezes are much weaker in the Keys as a rule but it might be more fun to hang out down there.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

Hi, I´m going to be in miami till monday 31, the forecast says a few knot next friday in key west. Someone can tell what can I do, if it´s somethimg to do??? thanks

gonzoski
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Sorry, the wind forecast for South Florida and the Keys is looking pretty light for now. It seems a weak front is moving through clocking winds to the west for a few days. There is a fairly low rain chance between now and Monday in the forecast. It is possible some seabreezes or thermal winds not in the forecast could set up on one or more afternoons between now and Monday. No guarantees but it is a possibility. Also, just because the forecast says winds will be light, doesn't mean it works out that way all the time, things change. Thermal sea breezes are much weaker in the Keys as a rule but it might be more fun to hang out down there.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

Thanks, I´m going to be staying in Aventura so maybe some seabreeze could set up. What you recomend Dania Beach or Fort Lauderdale ????

ricki
05-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks, I´m going to be staying in Aventura so maybe some seabreeze could set up. What you recomend Dania Beach or Fort Lauderdale ????

Really, for light, possible marginal winds, neither! In light winds there is a tendency to go downwind. It isn't feasible to say from which direction the side shore thermals will be coming from but in the case of the spot by Dania Pier or Ft. Lauderdale Beach you have to be able to stay upwind. In the case of Dania, there's the pier to the south and we're banned along John U. Lloyd Park to the north. In Ft. Lauderdale, we have the narrow boat launching corridor with strict out of bounds areas to the north and south. I have never kited there myself but I recall some kiters go in the vicinity of 87th St. on North Miami Beach. You want to stay out of Surfside to the north where I recall kiters are not welcome. At least in this area of North Miami Beach you should be able to have a bit of leeway if the wind is light. You might want to clear things with the lifeguards first. Hope you get some wind!