PDA

View Full Version : Kite size to ride this summer

Anto
05-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Hello,

I just arriving in Florida for to live here and I would like kitesurfing this summer. I know it is not the best period because of the low wind...

What size do you use in summer ? And the other seasons ?

I think to buy 13m but Iam not shure if it is sufficient
Also, I will buy a skim or surf

I saw an ad for a Flysurfer SA² 15m, but it is maybe to big for me (my weight is 150 lbs / 65kg)

Thank you for your advices :)

Antonin

BigR
05-26-2010, 10:03 AM
I think to buy 13m but Iam not shure if it is sufficient
Also, I will buy a skim or surf

I saw an ad for a Flysurfer SA² 15m, but it is maybe to big for me (my weight is 150 lbs / 65kg)

A 13m to 15m would be the minimum size for summer

bayflite
05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
anto,
get a big board for summer
and please stay out of gulf swim zones
peace

Steve-O
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Have you had lessons?

For what its worth riding a skim board can get you going in some very light conditions. Flat water goes along way too.

The advantage of being on a skimboard is you can move your feet around and just find that right spot where the board is planing efficiently.

Riding light wind is all about apparent wind, and that comes from board speed.

I am 150lbs and don't need anything bigger than a 14M kite in flatwater. I have been on the big FS 19M kites and they do have some pull, but could really only validate the cost for the heavier guy of 200+ lbs

Danimal8199
05-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr2MzMzTXoE

Anto
05-31-2010, 05:20 AM
Many thanks for your answers :)

I do kitesurfing since 2 years in the Mediterranean Sea (south of France)

I have a Fone board very small (133*36) so I will buy a skim or surf for shure (not decided between skim and surf)

I have a 8m kite (I just sold my 11m to buy a new one)

I thought to complete my quiver with a 10-11m and a 13-14m (with 2 kite and 1 bar)

I was wondering if a bigger kite than 13-14m can be very useful for me. Thanks Steve-O for your advice, this may not be essential given my weight.

What is the best season for the wind in Tampa bay ?

@Danimal8199: thansk for the video, crazy size ^^ There is few amazing projects about generating power from kites, i.e. http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/10/71908 or this one very huge :

http://www.bloganono.com/public/img/kiteyacht_front.jpg

BigR
05-31-2010, 06:39 AM
What is the best season for the wind in Tampa bay ?

Typically it is November thru April that you can use your 8m and 11m kites in Tampa.

Although yesterday (Sunday 5/30) was a great day as well, very nicely powered up on my 14m switchblade and a 133 twintip all afternoon.

Hopefully today will be a repeat of yesterday as well :D :)

Anto
06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Cool, it seems that I don't arrive in the best season, but if the wind is good half the year... I can wait :p

BigR
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
the wind is good half the yearyeah, it is really good half the year, especially if you are already used to the cold since you kitesurf in France. It was averaging 40 degrees during this past winter when it was windy. Now it is 90 degrees :(. It also helps if your job is flexible because the wind here can happen anytime, early, late or all day. You also have the option of South Florida (think warm) or the East Coast (think waves).

theshiatispimpin101
06-02-2010, 12:08 AM
It really depends on the skill of the rider, Last summer i rode ALOT and my biggest kite is a 12m and i use a really big board 145x143. I weight about 155 pounds. If you are looking to complete your quiver with 2 more kites i would suggest a 10 or 11 and for your big kite a 13-14.

I dont think any bigger is necessary. With a 12-14 meter and a big board at your weight you should be fine, any wind less than that is just boring anyways :D

thebestkite
06-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Got a 25.5m SS kite for the light winds .....

Whitey
06-06-2010, 01:41 PM
It really depends on the skill of the rider, Last summer i rode ALOT and my biggest kite is a 12m and i use a really big board 145x143. I weight about 155 pounds. If you are looking to complete your quiver with 2 more kites i would suggest a 10 or 11 and for your big kite a 13-14.

I dont think any bigger is necessary. With a 12-14 meter and a big board at your weight you should be fine, any wind less than that is just boring anyways :D

Wow that is a really big board, is it square or round?

Anto
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM
yeah, it is really good half the year, especially if you are already used to the cold since you kitesurf in France. It was averaging 40 degrees during this past winter when it was windy. Now it is 90 degrees :(. It also helps if your job is flexible because the wind here can happen anytime, early, late or all day. You also have the option of South Florida (think warm) or the East Coast (think waves).

Thanks for your answer! I used to the cold, I did kitesurf during all the winter in France, I brought my full wetsuit :-P

Unfortunately my job is not flexible, I work in a office at bradenton but the workday is finished at 5pm - evening session could be great?

Do you think that South or East Coast have better spots for wind this summer?

I don't think any bigger is necessary. With a 12-14 meter and a big board at your weight you should be fine, any wind less than that is just boring anyways :D

Ok thanks, I will look for a 13-14 meter and a skim or surf!

BigR
06-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately my job is not flexible, I work in a office at bradenton but the workday is finished at 5pm - evening session could be great?

Summertime we only get 15knot sea-breezes from the west usually starting midafternoon till maybe just before the sun goes down. like today it blew 14-18 from 3-7pm

Do you think that South or East Coast have better spots for wind this summer?

it's usually not worth it to make the 2-4 drive to the east coast and 2-4 hour back hoping for more than the 10knots usually forecast, all of Florida gets the same wind during summer

Anto
06-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Ok thanks again for theses advices :D
Good to know that evening session could be great!

I am planning to buy a van in order to travel in Florida during the weekend and to discover the spots, it is for that I was wondering if there is more wind on the others coasts.

What is usually the spot that attracts the most kitesurfers around Tampa/Sarasota?

theshiatispimpin101
06-08-2010, 05:43 PM
LOL typo haha 145-43 obviously :D

kitegrandad
06-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Best spot for summer sea breeze is South Lido Park on Lido Beach. You need to check tides before coming Mote.org. South Lido is the southernmost point of Ldo Beach and we ride the point on an outgoing tide with a sea breeze. If you go make sure to ask someone where to rig since we have restrictions on certain parts of the beach for the Snowy Plover bird sanctuary.

You can check on SRQkiteboarders.com for more info.

Anto
06-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey kitegrandad
Thanks for these useful information! I will go this week or maybe next weekend.

I didn't find SRQkiteboarders.com, but I just did a request to join this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SRQkiteboarders/

kitegrandad
06-13-2010, 04:07 PM
That's the one. Today is a perfect South Lido day 15 and strong out going tide. Seabreezes are mid to late afternoon through early evening sessions. Check the weather for Sarasota on ikitesurf.com and rides on mote.org around Noon. if they look good drive down arriving around 4pm.

BigR
06-14-2010, 07:02 AM
and don't forget to keep an eye out for rapidly forming Thunderbloomers....
they sneak up on you quickly that time of day and year here......

Anto
06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
and rides on mote.org around Noon. if they look good drive down arriving around 4pm.

Regarding rides I found this link on mote.org : http://isurus.mote.org:8080/locations/5081.html

What do I need to check regarding rides, how can I see that they look good? Sometimes rides can be dangerous?

and don't forget to keep an eye out for rapidly forming Thunderbloomers....
they sneak up on you quickly that time of day and year here......

Ok, so it means that I have to be careful when the sky is going dark because of the clouds? Yesterday evening around 7pm, there had a dark sky with a little rain, I need to take care at this moment?

BigR
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Just as sure as there are little green tomatoes on this earth,

every afternoon in July and August from about 6-8pm we'll get buckets pouring down on us with the occasional Zap-Boom!

stpetesal
06-14-2010, 06:40 PM

every afternoon in July and August from about 6-8pm we'll get buckets pouring down on us with the occasional Zap-Boom!

that is for sure, but I have had a nice little seabreez the last few days at TI. good for a fix...Scott L.

Anto
06-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'little green tomatoes on this earth' ? :D

that is for sure, but I have had a nice little seabreez the last few days at TI. good for a fix...Scott L.

I went to South Lido Beach yesterday evening, indeed a nice little seabreez was there. Where is TI ?

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
06-15-2010, 12:30 PM
T.I. is Tybee Island- (in Georgia).
Please avoid riding in the swim zones there too.;)

I heard of a possible lightning strike on a kiter while getting my haircut today. CG was out looking for them with helis and boats Sat. evening around SPB.
Anyone heard anything?

Steve-O
06-16-2010, 07:03 AM
It doesn't surprise me. I watched 3 guys last summer go out in a full on lightning storm. I refused to launch any of them. I know kiteboarding is "cool" but it ain't that cool.

Go get a taser gun, shock yourself, and then decide if you want to kite. Much safer!

kitegrandad
06-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Up until this week we were fine riding Seabreezes but that is changing. Unsettled weather has been killing our winds for the past 3 days. The mote site will give you an accurate forecast of the tidal changes; you want an outgoing tide the steeper the better.

I wish there was a foolproof way of determining afternoon thunderstorms but alas there is none. become a member on The SRQ website and send a message. You will get several responses from knowledgeable riders at South Lido.

we have a meeting Saturday evening at South Lido at 7PM with food and adult beverages. Come early and try to get a few rides (tides willing) then stick around join the pArty and meet the crew.

Anto
06-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks, ok if I go there I will avoid riding in the swim zones ;)

become a member on The SRQ website and send a message. You will get several responses from knowledgeable riders at South Lido.

Great, I requested to become a member!

we have a meeting Saturday evening at South Lido at 7PM with food and adult beverages. Come early and try to get a few rides (tides willing) then stick around join the pArty and meet the crew.

Cool I will be there! After great advice I had on this topic regarding the kite size for this summer, I bought a North Rebel 09 10m with a bar (I receive it today), and I found an used Rebel 14m without bar but I will have it next week, so maybe it will not have enough wind this weekend to try my 10m, but for sure I will be at the meeting. Thanks for the information :)

kitegrandad
06-18-2010, 12:21 PM
If you come bring your own beverage. We will start the meeting at 7PM look for the group.

LSUkiter
06-18-2010, 12:30 PM

I heard of a possible lightning strike on a kiter while getting my haircut today. CG was out looking for them with helis and boats Sat. evening around SPB.
Anyone heard anything?

Definitely no search and rescues. One of my employee's husband is the captain(master chief actualy) of one of the local coastie boats, and there have been no search and rescues

Anto
06-18-2010, 01:11 PM
If you come bring your own beverage. We will start the meeting at 7PM look for the group.

Yes I bring some beverages.

EDIT: I wish it will not rain, I saw few BBQ at Lido Beach, do you think we will use them?

kitegrandad
06-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Hope you made ot to the meeting/BBQ to meet our local riders. I was unable to make it but certain you found a few new ridiknkg friends. :cool:

Anto
06-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Yes I went there, very great to meet local riders!
I can't wait for the wind to come and to try your beautiful spots ;)

Citispider
06-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Hello Everyone.

I just moved to the local area from South Florida due to job relocation. Im trying to find out which is the closest spot to Wesley Chapel. Any leads will be helpful. Happy Fathers Day!!