PDA

View Full Version : Sz vs nwz

bayflite
03-15-2010, 07:09 PM
ok
lets try this

BigR
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
sure, I 'll bite just please, everyone a discussion about Surf Zones and No Wake Zones should be productive in order to accomplish something useful.

Personally , we have no business any where near a surf zone or no wake zone.

We have soo much more mobility than the poor surfers/swimmers/beachgoers stuck in one little area, its not a matter of a sign being posted or not, its a matter of common sense......

hrpufnstuf
03-15-2010, 09:39 PM
I ride in the surf zone everyday there is wind. I will not stop. I have NEVER been told otherwise by Coast Guard or local police. I have interacted with both on several occasions. They have actually been more interested in how to learn than anything. If there is an occasion where they disapprove, I'll gladly accept the ticket (kind of like speeding on the highway) I don't ride near swimmers. There are almost never swimmers when it's windy and cold, but on the occasional warm day, I stay away. Surfers have always been very cool. I don't get in their way and most enjoy watching ( I also surf, longer than I've kited).
I NEVER fly my kite over people on the beach. I find that irresponsible and just plain inconsiderate. I don't think that I or my friends that do the same are risking access. I don't do races.

And finally... I've done all of this with you BrYan!!???

HR (Hand Rolled)

bayflite
03-15-2010, 09:50 PM
hey bro,, i don't spell it like the eagles do i spell mine br >>y<< an
peace bro

Sam
03-15-2010, 11:05 PM
If I recall, No wake zones usuially have a 5 knot speed restriction? I would say to stay outside all marked areas. I would be pissed to see a boat of any sort ripping through a no wake zone at 25 knots wheather there is a wake being thrown or not and I am sure any marine patrol officer or coast guard would not be thrilled either. Not racing this year but either way, they are marked as restricted or regulated areas for a reason due to swimmers, boats at anchor or such. I will look up the exact rule tomorrow in my chapmans book.

BoBo the Safety Clown
03-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Silly question.

Where's the poll asking "Do we need moderators on this forum?"

I would answer NO on both. Remember the surfer kid incident and how much trouble he caused? I do. It doesn't matter if its one kiter or a hundred, we should ALL be 300' from shore especially along the coast. One old bag in ANY of these little towns along the race course could get us banned.

Big R- You and your moderating games are a source of many of the past problems on this forum, and IMO you're not fair enough, and too far detached from the rest of the community to be on the mod squad. Shutting people down only makes things worse, and I think myself and my "characters" over the years have proven that point. Ask any kiter (outside of your click) what's missing from this forum and they'll tell you that its the funny stuff and heated battles of yesteryear that they miss the most. I accept full responsibility for my actions and battles in the past, do YOU?

You really should get a doc to have a look at that itchy trigger finger of yours.... its detrimental to progress and the usefulness of this forum.

Rock on Beezy, you're opinion counts too, whether they like it or not.;)

kent
03-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Question: Are these marks to indicate a NO WAKE ZONE, NO MOTORIZED ZONE, or a SLOW SPEED ZONE? I think that this makes a difference.

If it's a slow speed zone I think we would have a hard time reasoning that riding inside them is ok. I think No Motor Zones are fully ok as long as we adhere to the rest of the safe riding guidelines. No Wake Zones are pretty grey, but if you stick to the letter of the law, even no wake zones have speed stipulations from what I've read.

I guess that it's a question that your local riders need to agree on. From my understanding if you ride along the coast in your area, many times you are riding in these zones.

Regarding larger events running down the coast, I'd suggest that starting them before 10 a.m. would probably minimize the issues during this time of year.

Todd RT
03-16-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/course/p4-4_recklessoperation.htm

Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
Unlawful Operation of a Vessel
Florida law states that it is unlawful to operate a vessel in a reckless or dangerous manner. Specifically, the law designates the following dangerous operating practices as illegal.

Reckless or Careless Operation of a vessel or manipulation of water skis, aquaplanes, or similar devices is the failure to exercise the care necessary to prevent the endangerment of life, limb, or property of any person. Some examples are:
Boating in restricted areas without regard for other boaters or persons, posted speeds and wake restrictions, diver-down flags, etc.
Failing to follow the navigation rules
Improper Speed is operating at speeds greater than posted speeds and that are not reasonable and prudent based on boating traffic, weather conditions, visibility, or other potential hazards. If no limits are posted, you should operate a vessel so that it does not endanger others. Vessel speed always should be maintained so that the vessel can be stopped safely. Specifically, it is illegal to:
Operate at a rate of speed that endangers the life or property of any person.
Operate at greater than "idle speed, no wake" in a posted "no wake" zone.
Exceeding Maximum Loading or Horsepower is the failure of a vessel operator to ensure that their vessel is loaded safely and not overpowered. Florida law prohibits a person from operating a monohull vessel less than 20 feet in length while exceeding the maximum weight, persons, or horsepower capacity as displayed on the capacity plate installed by the vessel manufacturer.
Riding on the Bow, Deck, or Gunwale is allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, seat backs, seats on raised decks, or any other place where there may be a chance of falling overboard.
Remember ...
As an owner of a vessel, you may be responsible if you allow others to operate your vessel in violation of Florida law.
The operator is responsible for his or her vessel's wake and any damage or personal injury it may cause.

Boating Regulatory Zones
On Florida waterways there are signs restricting boat speed. Florida regulates boat speeds in certain areas either for protection of manatees or for boating safety purposes. It is important that boat operators look for signs, understand what they mean, and abide by the speed regulations. Here are the most common signs.

"Idle Speed, No Wake" Zone:
A designated area where vessels must be operated at a speed no greater than that which is necessary to maintain steerage and headway. The vessel should not produce a wake at this speed.

"Slow Speed, Minimum Wake" Zone: Areas where vessels must be fully off plane and completely settled in the water. Any wake created by a vessel in one of these zones must be minimal (very small). If your vessel is traveling with the bow even slightly elevated while in one of these zones, it is not proceeding at “Slow Speed” as required by law.

Maximum 25 MPH, 30 MPH, and 35 MPH Speed Zones: Controlled areas within which a vessel must not exceed posted speed.

Vessel Exclusion Area: An area marked with a vertical diamond shape with a cross in the center that indicates all vessels or certain classes of vessels are excluded from the area.

(What class of vessel is a kiteboard????) :confused: Obviously a sailing vessel. But most sailing vessels don't create a wake.

---------------------------------

Then I found this blurb @ http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0327/Sec46.HTM

3. An ordinance establishing a vessel-exclusion zone if the area is reserved exclusively:

a. As a canoe trail or otherwise limited to vessels under oars or under sail.

b. For a particular activity and user group separation must be imposed to protect the safety of those participating in such activity.

kent
03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually a kiteboard is not a vessel at all and does not require FL numbers or other stipulations required of other vessels.

The speed requirements seem binding, however we do not though a wake. Swim Zones are well defined and totally exclude us, but it would sure make it easier if the other marks were No Motor Zones. I guess that if you ride the coast and you want to turn on a wave occasionally, everyone on that beach is likely breaking the law to some extent.

Simply staying 300 yards (too far in my opinion, 2 kite line lengths seems reasonable) away should suffice as long as people are not endangered and laws are not broken. I guess we need clarification on the second part.

So does anyone know what the marks really are? Bayflight?

kent
03-16-2010, 02:14 PM
PS. I also think that the pole should read "should any kiter be allowed to ride inside the No Wake Zone" I'm not sure of the distinction between racers and kiters. If anything, those racing are far more aware of obstacles in the water and have been warned as such. Freeriders are often far more into relaxed riding and probably not as aware of their surroundings. It's probably different for everyone, but I know that this is true for me.

Whitey
03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I believe those markers along the beach north of John's Pass are "No Vessels" markers.

Danimal8199
03-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Some interesting thoughts to add...

1) the poll shows who voted for what, so come race day I don't want to see the people who selected no to be inside the no "wake" zone, except at take off and landing...although at irb I believe the bouys reads "no combustion" motors/engines. how does a no wake zone bouy make sense where there are already waves of some degree most of the time...don't quote me on that though. They may say "no wake" in the intercostal.

2) of all the down winders I have done over the past 3 years I have rarely if ever seen anyone go much past the bouys at all for more than just passing them on a tack... I will admit that the only time I stay outside the bouys is when I see surfers or swimmers. This time of year though it is especially important to stay a few kite lengths away as mentioned earlier. Also even when not in the gulf I see a majority of riders riding close to shore, so i don't think its just a swim zone thing.

3) this may be old news but still interesting since many kiters also do standup. The Coast Guard has classified sups as vessels that have to follow the same rules outside of designated "swim zones" or bathing areas...this means among other things wearing life jackets and carrying proper safety gear... never seen anyone do that either...http://www.hoviesup.com/hovie-sup-blog/6199203397068241760/January-5th-2009-U.S.-Coast-Guard-Classifies-Stand-Up-Paddleboard-As-Vessels.aspx

anyway I thought it was interesting since they actually have different rules depending on where they are operated.
Danny

BizGuru
03-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Let me explain my vote.

I think the matter of riding inside the buoy on a normal day with no one at the beach catching a wave and during a race are 2 different things. I do think the race organizers should keep everyone outside them. So you are telling me in a downwind race, a racer who is riding inside the buoys is going to slow down and take out cause they notice someone swimming? I really do doubt everyone will do this. So you are creating an advantage in the race for those that would coast right upwind of bathers, and creating a disadvantage for those who are for those who will tack back out when they see bathers in the buoys. Also people are going to be pushing themselves, making them more likely to have an unfavorable situation next to shore. A bunch of kiters ripping down the coast will attract attention and spectators. Don't you think everyone should be setting the best example possible? What about the "I didn't know it was a 'swim zone' I thought it was a 'wake zone'. I like many will enjoy the wave break when there is no one on the beach.

But if we look at four major components I think the gray starts to turn black.
1. Distance race creating more chance of human error / gear malfunction.
2. Extra spectators watching the kiters.
3. The competitive spirit and adrenaline clouding judgment.
4. Rider racing down unfamiliar waters not sure what buoys are what.

This is my opinion on the matter and would like to thank those responsible for putting together this event and apologize for those who did not present there thoughts in a respectful manor.

Mike T
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I did a little research and I also heard about the Coast Guard new regulation that a SUP board is a vessel. Well in the conclusion of the law it states:1 U.S.C.&3 states that "The word 'vessel' includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water." Given the answers to the questions above and the definition of the word "Vessel" in the US Code, when utilized beyond the narrow limits of a swimming, surfing, or bathing area, a paddleboard is a vessel subject to regulations administered by the U.S. Coast Guard.
After reading what the Coast Guard defines as a vessel ( A Kiteboard is a vessel) Some will disagree but it is a vessel and it is required to follow all the laws that pertain too a vessel. Also any vessel under 16 feet without a motor does not require CG approved registration numbers. Also each state can have different laws about what is required as far as PFD and registration. Arizona had a law that required PFD's while windsurfing. Not sure if that got changed in the mean time. You can also search some of the other kite Forums and find regulation from local government that put restrictions on how close to swim zones your allowed to kite! Having spent 20 years in the Coast Guard as Flight Mechanic and having a brother that Kiteboards and is still on active duty I called him and he also told me a kite board is considered a vessel. I hope people will use a little common sence while Kiteboarding, Windsurfing and SUP so that everyone is playing safe not only for the riders but for the spectators, swimmers, surfers and if something goes horrably wrong the rescuers because if something happens you know who gets the call. We Coasties will always be ready to help! So this is why I voted No! Keeping it safe is the only way to ensure that no one has to worry about closures and restrictions and the racing can only get bigger & better! Warm winds! Mike T AMT1 USCG RET

bayflite
03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
guys/gals
it sux but the party IZ over.
member when we started back in '02 or earlier?
people couldn't get enough of us.
"what do you call that?"
NOBODY CARED WHERE WE RODE.
well, it's all changed.
GET OVER IT!
sorry if i missed the sensitivity training coarse
peace

robertovillate
03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I literally had to do a double-take here...I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would suggest or promote the idea of running a race inside the buoys. This is very disturbing to believe that it's even suggested. But this time I don't think it was a "typo".

IMO this would be like running a car race thru St. Pete and saying...go ahead and take a short cut over some spectators. Many people do training sessions for these DW races, so this would also imply that it's OK to do your practice sessions inside the buoys?

Citing the local maritime rules is one thing...but The reality is that - on an average day, when you might see a few kites on a 10 mile downwinder - people will ride inside the buoys occasionally and with discretion to hit the best sections of waves. In MOST CASES these riders are considerate to swimmers and surfers and give a wide berth. And in MOST cases I would say these downwinders are being done safely.

... I'm not sure of the distinction between racers and kiters. If anything, those racing are far more aware of obstacles in the water and have been warned as such. Freeriders are often far more into relaxed riding and probably not as aware of their surroundings. It's probably different for everyone, but I know that this is true for me. :confused: Are you serious???

The problem is that when you have 70 racers who are told that it's absolutely fine to go inside the buoys, going as fast as they can, sometimes at close quarters, fighting for position, it would be counter-intuitive to believe that they would be able to give the same level of attention or consideration as if they were doing a chilled downwind session. Running a race inside the buoys could potentially ruin it for everyone...as in...banning kiting near some of our beaches. Why would anyone even tempt such a fate????

On big days the hardest place for many to ride is somewhere just off the beach and out to the sandbar because of currents, shorebreak, obstacles (people, swim buoys, etc) in the water. What I see - when a rider cannot bust thru the shorebreak he takes the inside line with as much speed as possible, usually within a line length of the beach, so he can break out at the next opportunity...or keep riding the smooth water just off the beach, which is NOT cool.

If people aren't good enough to ride the conditions outside the buoys - then get off the race course. Plain and simple. Make your donation and go out for a session in a location/conditions you can handle. No shame in that.

Please run the races well away from the shoreline at all points along the course.

PS...also, there are sections along the St. Pete/Clearwater shoreline where there are fixed objects, jettys, etc in the water (e.g. the groins North of Johns Pass). Depending on tide sometimes these are not visible until the last second and could be deadly. I get spooked every time I ride past them. Local riders may know about this, but visiting riders probably would not, and even if covered in a skippers meeting, these are serious hazards to be avoided, especially on a big day. This sort of situation probably exists anywhere where you will do a big DW race and best to avoid them by setting a safe and proper course.

al-kite-ah
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
looks like miami may have lost rickenbacker causeway due to the antics over the weekend and someone being rude to law enforcement....maybe Ricki I is checking to be sure if it is only rumor or fact.......so lets be careful around here!!!

oldschool
03-19-2010, 06:05 AM
my buds and i are constantly telling tourist kiters (and even some of our local crew) to stay out of the swim areas, stay well off the beach

what a PITA

os/sarsota

bayflite
03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
come on people
get you vote recorded

linhster
03-22-2010, 10:29 PM
I am not completely understanding the following:

-Swimming buoy restrictions.
-No wake restrictions.

Is there any swimming allow in a no wake zone? I thought wakes are created by vessels. And if there are vessels, usually swimming will be prohibited. ???

Thanks for the clarification...

Unimog Bob
03-23-2010, 06:14 AM
I am not completely understanding the following:

-Swimming buoy restrictions.
-No wake restrictions.

Is there any swimming allow in a no wake zone? I thought wakes are created by vessels. And if there are vessels, usually swimming will be prohibited. ???

Thanks for the clarification...

To my knowledge, boats are not allowed to come inside any buoys out from the beach (about 80 yards) along most beaches in St. Pete. In other words, if you see buoys, boats are not allowed inside of them.

The wording on this stuff is getting in the way imo.
Also, imo, the concept of distance from fellow beach-goers should be independent of buoys anyway. However, buoys exist from much/most of the way from John's Pass south to Pass-a-Grille and boats are not allowed inside of them. This becomes more obvious in the summer, when you see NO boats anchored inside of them or on the beach (the whole point to them being there). Surely, if legal to motor (or even float) inside of them, people would motor their boats at .5 knots to get to the beach if possible. You won't ever see this though. You will see people anchor just outside of them, then swim into the UnderTow and other beach bars.

We have been calling them "swim zones" b/c the goal is to keep swimmer's safe. In my mind, they are actually "no vessel zones".

If anyone disagrees with my take on their purpose or laws enforced within them, just go out and throw anchor inside one of them and see what happens. ;)

In keeping with the spirit of the rules of these areas, I am glad to see that race organizers decided that buzzing through them with 70 kiters at top speed seems like a really bad idea.

Unimog Bob
03-23-2010, 06:27 AM
If someone really wanted clarification on what the buoys represent, they could go to the City. Here is a short snip from some City minutes. They are using the term Swim Zone, interestingly enough. This particular meeting may have arisen over Caddy's not being happy with motor boats NOT being allowed to anchor right on their beach.

Page 2 of 5
June 17, 2008
3. Consideration of Ord. 08-05, Sunset Beach Swim Zone (1st Reading)

It was moved by Commissioner Bildz and seconded by Commissioner Gayton to
approve the ordinance as read. Commissioner Bildz stated that Mr. Amico brought up
the point that the swim zones would be 300 ft., and asked if that was a change. Mr.
Silverboard explained that the ordinance reads no greater than 300 ft. At times the
buoys move due to storms and beach renourishment, and they need to be reset
periodically. He stated that at the last meeting the Commission instructed staff to draft
an ordinance to extend the swim zone from the end of Weckesser Park all the way
around to Blind Pass. Commissioner Collins clarified that the buoys would not be moved
out any further than they currently are, and they are in closer due to beach
renourishment and storms. Mr. Silverboard stated that they are usually set at or close to
300 feet. He suggested that they consider setting a slow speed minimum wake zone
from Weckesser Park north to the area behind the Lion’s Club. This would have less
impact on the business in the area, and reduce the noise in the area. Commissioner
Collins stated that he felt it was a good compromise. Commissioner Bildz stated that if
they wanted to go north of Weckesser Park up to the Lion’s Club, and change the swim
zone to 150 feet in that area, he would be in favor of that. It would be an easy swim due
to the sand bar. Mr. Silverboard stated that they would have to revise the ordinance and
come back again for first reading. If the Commission wants to extend the swim zone all
Page 3 of 5
June 17, 2008
the way to Blind Pass he can leave that in there, but if they want to take it out, he’s not
aware of any problems in that area. He described the area that the boats could come in
to the shore. Commissioner Bildz stated that he felt the proposed swim zone was fine,
with a revision to address the area from Weckesser Park to the Lion’s Club.
Commissioner Minning asked what the depth of the water was at 150 feet out. It is
about 10-12 feet. Commissioner Gayton stated that if we are going to make significant
changes then we should have another workshop to discuss it. Commissioner Bildz
stated that the way the ordinance is written is fine, and all we are proposing is modifying
the area near Weckesser Park. Mr. Silverboard stated that he was proposing that they
modify this ordinance to allow the boats closer to Caddy’s, so that it was in one
ordinance as opposed to two. Commissioner Gayton stated that he would rather pass
the ordinance now, and modify it later after further discussion. Commisioners Bildz and
Collins agreed.

Heidi Horak spoke about the history of the boating issues in the area. The boaters want
to be closer. She feels that the swim zone all the way to the end was extreme. It is only
on the weekends when there are boats in that area that it’s a problem, and now that they
have the slow speed minimum wake zones the boats aren’t going fast. The boaters
want to be closer to the businesses. People do not learn quickly. If they are going to
make a change it needs to be one very clear change that they are willing to stick with.
She feels that they are lacking in imagination and consideration with this ordinance and
they should continue to work on it.

Ray Green stated that he is part of the problem when they created the swim zone in the
past. The activity that they have in back of the houses now is a danger to those
swimming in the area. Two weekends ago a boater came to the shore and threw his
anchor with the anchor rope wrapped around his neck. People will come in when there
are waves pushing into the shore and try to nose into the beach. The problem needs to
be addressed right now. What goes on behind Caddy’s is a separate issue. We need to
extend the swim zone all the way south.

Tony Amico stated that if you are going to take one away without giving something then
they should wait on the whole thing. They are taking away from John’s Pass all the way
to Sunset Beach. There is nowhere that anyone would be able to pull a boat up to the
beach. He feels that they should wait and do it all at once, and make a decision that
should be final. Caddy’s has been a bar and restaurant there since 1947, and will
continue to be. He feels they should have another public meeting and talk about it
further.

Mary Beth Becker stated that she understands Mr. Amico’s point of view, and she
patronizes Caddy’s. She feels that safety issues must come first. There was recently a
child that was almost hit by a wave runner. They have witnessed an intoxicated boater
who was brought to her house with a gashed leg, unaware of how he was injured. They
should concentrate on safety.

Bob Hartman stated that he has small children, and he likes to drop them off at the
beach, and then move the boat back. He is careful, and feels that it isn’t a problem.

Andrew Becker stated that he is a boater as well, and he has kids also. There was a
swim zone behind his house, and when he wanted to see the progress on his house
they wore life preservers and swam in. The area from John’s Pass to Caddy’s is a swim
zone, not a no wake zone. Now that Shell Key doesn’t allow alcohol they have all come
to our beach, and that is a liability that we shouldn’t allow.

Commissioner Bildz asked for clarification of the idle speed no wake zone areas. Mr.
Silverboard explained the different zones.

Ms. Kiefer stated that she agreed that if they were going to make any changes then they
should start over. Commissioner Gayton stated that the intent right now is not to make
changes right now, so we should vote on it now. Commissioner Collins stated that the
most important thing is the safety of the people in the water and the residents in the
area. He feels that they should pass this as written, and then address the other concern
later. Commissioner Bildz asked if we could put the Caddy’s issue on the next
workshop.

Upon roll call the vote to approve was unanimous.

Unimog Bob
03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I have to wonder if the above poll would get different responses if riders were asked if it's a good idea for race organizers to allow riders in the swim zones and not used the term "no wake zone". I am fairly confident that there is no such thing as a "no wake zone" being marked by buoys just offshore from our local beaches. The buoys are there to keep vessels (including jet-skis) out for the safety of swimmers.

Jet skis are only allowed to come to shore in clearly marked areas where jet ski rentals (with permit) occur.

I understand the confusion, because I can't even remember what the buoys say on them anymore, and I ride the beaches a lot. I do remember orange diamonds. :D

Whitey
03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
946 views 19 votes. fear of jury duty has ruined the system.

bayflite
03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
the only think we have to fear is................................................ .................................................. ..........................

selfish riders.

hrpufnstuf
03-23-2010, 06:16 PM
OK, I looked up like Bob said. Beach restrictions are handled by each municipality. Only one municipality specifically restricts kitesurfing inside the buoys which is designated a "swim zone"; Treasure Island. The rest have other restrictions which at best are left to interpretation by law enforcement, courts and lawyers.

Enjoy

HR

Bellaireshores

ARTICLE II. BEACH AREAS

DIVISION 3. WATER SAFETY ZONE*

*State law references: Establishment of restricted areas, F.S. § 327.46.

Sec. 30-81. Purpose.

The purpose of this division is to establish a safety zone and regulate the use of watercraft within the safety zone for the protection of persons, property, watercraft and for the safe use of the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

(Ord. No. 00-01, § 1, 4-20-2000)

Sec. 30-82. Definitions.

The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this division, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

Idle speed/no wake means that a watercraft cannot proceed at a speed greater than that speed which is necessary to maintain the ability to navigate.

Watercraft means a boat, ship, barge, air boats, jet-ski or other device capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.

(Ord. No. 00-01, § 2, 4-20-2000)

IRB

Sec. 74-63. No-anchoring zone.

(a) Established; buoys; speed; transit. There is hereby established a no-anchoring zone, which is defined as that portion of the Gulf of Mexico lying between the northerly and southerly city limits of the city and easterly from the buoy line. The line shall be marked by regulatory buoys placed in accordance with permits and spaced, nominally, at 300-foot intervals along its length. As the buoys will move about their anchor location with the tides or currents, enforcement of this section shall extend to the area defined by the buoys at the water's surface at the time of infraction. Any boat or watercraft operating within the no-anchoring zone shall proceed cautiously at a speed not in excess of idle speed. The boat or watercraft shall transit the no-anchoring zone in the shortest and most direct route possible taking into consideration safe navigation and the safety and enjoyment of other users of the area.

Indian Shores

Sec. 106-78. Water safety zone.

(a) Established; buoys; speed; transit. There is hereby established a water safety zone which is defined as that part of the Gulf of Mexico lying between the northerly and southerly limits of the town and easterly of the following described line: …

The line shall be marked by regulatory buoys placed in accordance with permits and spaced, nominally, at 300-foot intervals along its length, and approximately 200 feet from the shoreline. As the buoys will move about their anchor location with the tides and currents, enforcement of this section shall extend to the area defined by the buoys at the water's surface at the time of infraction. Any boat or watercraft, including motorized watercraft, sail boats, personal watercraft, catamarans or other vessels as defined by Florida Statute, transiting the "water safety zone" shall proceed cautiously at a speed not in excess of idle speed and shall not create any wake whatsoever. In addition, the boat or watercraft shall transit the "water safety zone" in the shortest and most direct route possible taking into consideration safe navigation and the safety and enjoyment of other users of the area.

Redington Beach

Sec. 5-29. Safety zone in Gulf of Mexico.

(a) Designation of safety zone. There is hereby a designated zone of restricted motorized watercraft operation within the described boundaries of the town, and extending 100 yards into the Gulf of Mexico, and running parallel to the town's shoreline of the Gulf of Mexico.

(b) Operation of watercraft. The operation of any watercraft within the safety zone which threatens the safety of swimmers shall be in violation of this section, provided this restriction shall not apply to any watercraft entering the zone because of an emergency.

(c) Moorings to markers or buoys prohibited. The mooring of any watercraft to markers or buoys placed by the town or other authorized body shall be prohibited.

(d) Penalty for violation. Any person who violates any of the provisions of this section shall be subject to the penalties provided in the general penalty provisions of this Code of Ordinances.

Madeira Beach

Sec. 78-4. Restricted swimming areas established.

Within the designated restricted areas, identified with buoys as prescribed in F.S. § 327.40, no vessels of any kind with the exception of surfboards, paddle boats, and sail boats shall be allowed to operate within the swim area, however, such vessels shall be allowed to traverse the swim area to reach water outside the restricted area.

Treasure Island

Sec. 58-33. Surfboards.

(a) Reckless use. It is unlawful to operate, manipulate or otherwise use a surfboard or similar device in a reckless manner. A person is guilty of reckless operation of a surfboard who operates same in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property without due regard, caution and circumspection, or in a manner as to endanger or likely to endanger, or injure any person.

(b) Colliding or striking against persons. No person shall operate, manipulate or otherwise use a surfboard or other similar device in such manner as to cause same to collide or strike against any person.

Sec. 58-92. Restricted boating areas.

(a) Definitions.

(1) Slow speed-minimum wake indicates a restricted or controlled zone which has been established to protect the interest of the public. Slow speed-minimum wake means that a vessel must not proceed at a speed greater than that speed which is reasonable and prudent to avoid an excessive wake or condition under the existing circumstances. For the purpose of this section, slow speed-minimum wake and slow down-minimum wake shall mean the same. …

(2) Idle speed-no wake indicates a restricted or controlled zone that has been established to protect the interests of the public. Idle speed-no wake means that a vessel cannot proceed at a speed greater than that speed which is necessary to maintain steerageway.

(b) Restricted boating areas. There shall be created within the city various restricted boating areas in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico, which shall be marked by the city manager with regulatory buoy markers in compliance with the state uniform waterway marking system, which shall restrict all boating activities from these designated swimming areas pursuant to F.S. ch. 327 and the rules of the department of environmental protection, division of law enforcement, F.A.C. ch. 16N-23.

(c) Zones.

(1) Swim zones. The following areas shall be designated as swim zones; and all boating activity shall be restricted within an area that is located between the water line and a buoy line, which buoy line shall be located by the city manager at a point no greater than 300 feet out into the Gulf of Mexico from the mean high water line in the following locations:

a. From the north side of 77th Avenue northward to the south end of Weckesser Park, a distance of approximately 4,185 feet.

b. From the south side of Weckesser Park to north side of parking lot 5 (at 100th Avenue), a distance of approximately 2,445 feet. The width of the swim zone adjacent to 3rd Avenue South and Sawyer & Harrell's 2nd Addition, Block 8, Lots 13,14, and 15 and east eight feet of vacated alley on west and Lots 10, 11, 12 and vacated alley (a total distance of 200 feet), shall be set by the city manager at no greater than 125 feet until March 31, 2009 unless swimmer safety considerations dictate otherwise. Thereafter, the width of said swim zone may be adjusted by the city manager to up to 300 feet as may be needed to ensure the safety of swimmers.

c. From the south end of the county park (104th Avenue) to the north end of 121st Avenue, a distance of approximately 5,200 feet.

Within the restricted boating areas, no boating activity shall be allowed except as specifically authorized by the city manager for various city-authorized or city-sponsored events. This restriction applies to all boats that use a motor as their primary or secondary means of locomotion, kite surfing, sail-powered vessels 20 feet or greater in length and other similar vessels and devices. This restriction shall not apply to nonmotorized vessels including surfboards, sailboards and skimboards, canoes and kayaks. Sail-powered vessels under 20 feet in length may ingress and egress the beach perpendicular to the shoreline.

St Pete Beach

Sec. 94-36. Zones of restricted operation.

(a) There are designated zones of restricted watercraft operation as shown on the map which is attached to Ordinance Number 86-21 designated as exhibit A, which map is adopted by reference as if set out at length in this section and is on file in the city clerk's office.

(b) Zone 1, as designated on such map, is a protected area and reserved for swimmers only. No watercraft shall enter or operate within zone 1, provided this restriction shall not apply to any watercraft entering zone 1 because of an emergency. The city commission may grant a special occasion permit granting an exception to this subsection upon written request. The city commission shall determine whether the requested exception constitutes a special occasion. In granting this special occasion permit, the city commission shall be authorized to impose on the permit whatever conditions it deems are appropriate and reasonable and may adopt those rules and regulations it deems appropriate to protect the safety, health and welfare of the public.

(c) Zone 2 is intended primarily for swimming. Motorized and nonmotorized watercraft are prohibited from operating parallel to the beach within this zone. The city shall maintain buoys to mark the outer limits of this zone.

Mike T
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I Think you got it wrong! It goes like this!
The Only thing we have to Fear Is Fear it Self! FDR Franklin D. Roosevelt OR
The exact quote is,
"Nothing is to be feared but fear itself." Sir Frances Bacon coined the phrase in "of Tribute" which he wrote in the early 1600's.
Lets move on shall we! I feel the need for speed, Pray for wind! Cheers! Mike