PDA

View Full Version : Kite race through the BVI?

ricki
03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
What a great venue, particularly if the wind is on. If not, well it is still scenic, nice clear water diving and no end of party spots. Did the BVI Kite Jam go off? Hope so, still in these times can be hard to swing something like that. It seems like a lot of the activity extended between Anegada and Necker Island.

It can get technical with headland wind shadow of the trades with kites more so than with windsurfers but there is a great deal more to the BVI. Check this out:

http://www.farrimond.me.uk/BVI-HIHO%20map.jpg

This was setup for windsurfing. What islands didn't we hit?! I think we hit even more islands in 1998. Party every night at a new land fall. Some fun. I took two kites and two directionals along. Kiting was only starting to show up, I think they carefully cropped me out of video they were shooting. Andy Morel, HiHo organizer tried to put on similar kite events a couple of times but the response was weak. Not his fault, it really was ours, we didn't know what we were missing. Not really sure what the Kite Jam was going for aside from the Necker Island digs starting at around $25k and up. As I recall, the HiHo was about $1700. all inclusive once you got there. They have added SUP to the HiHo, wonder if they would consider kites again? Andy is a long time expert at putting these things together.