PDA

View Full Version : Help Crazy Jay

CrazyJay
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Everyone,
I entered a contest for best use of Bamboo. Please go to this website:

http://www.calibamboo.com/projectofthemonth_vote.html

and vote for Jayson O (#11). Im currently in 3rd so your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jayson

Jake
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
So tell us how did you make it? How does it perform? Dimensions, weight....? I've made a couple of boards but not out of bamboo. One out of plywood and epoxy, 135 x 48. Great upwind board but a bit heavy.

Josh
03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
You got my vote. Nice board. Looks like Jason is currently in 2nd in this poll, he only needs a few more kiters to get on board and help him win. We don't want some guy who made "bamboo flooring" (boooo!) win this thing over a kiter.

Bamboo is amazing. We use bamboo charcoal in the lining of NPX wetsuits and it makes them naturally anti-bacterial, warm, and smooth. It regrows quickly so it's a sustainable crop making it "eco-friendly" vs. the normal petroleum-based stuff.

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I rode it for a few minutes a while back. Sweet riding board, butter soft landings, and not too heavy.

Jayson is very talented with the woodworking and, I believe, could turn out any of the projects shown with equal or better results. The furniture pieces and custom kitchens he's done are far more impressive to me. (that bamboo kitchen is SICK though- 2nd for sure)

Although one could do some wicked breakdancing on those bamboo floors :p , the contest is for best use of the material.
I think something you can ride should carry far more weight than something that just sits there collecting dirt.

3rd Place right now. WHAT???

Jay, it looks like you may have to pull the "hot kiter chick model card" to help compliment your work and end this thing...;)

Vote Here for Jayson O.
http://www.calibamboo.com/projectofthemonth_vote.html

CrazyJay
03-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks Steve,
btw Jake, The board is made with 2 - quarter inch sheets of carbonized bamboo ply. Each ply is 3 directional so the board actually has grain running 6 directions for strength. It is wrapped in one layer of 6 oz glass. I has 1 1/2" of rocker (3 stage) and 1/8" concave in the tips and 3/16" concave center board.
Bamboo is actually a grass so it is very light and has internal air bubbles which work great for bouyancy. Compared to foam core it is about 5 times stronger yet still flexes and is about the same weight because I only need one light coat of glass (Resin is heavy... and bad for the environment)
I want to make a few more mods but so far Im thrilled with the way it rides and especially the way it lands.
Thanks for voting everyone. Please pass this along to all your contacts.
Jayson

dwnwndr?
03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
CrazyJay, got a vote in for you, good luck. I ride a bamboo board as my primary deck, though with the paintjob I've got on it, it's not as beautiful as yours. Harold Granados of Cogua Custom (http://www.coguacustom.com/) made mine.

thebestkite
03-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Too bad ...

CrazyJay
03-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your support and your votes.
I got third place.
Maybe I'll do better next month with my bamboo entertainment center.
Thanks again
jayson