PDA

View Full Version : Marco Island thur, sat

jens
02-23-2010, 08:33 AM
I am coming in for the weekend and was curious if there is anything I should know about riding off of the Marco Island beaches.

Local rules, regulations, where people will be riding(tiger tail?)

I am experienced
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/jensmadwind/jens4.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/jensmadwind/baileys724023.jpg

and ride a tt as well as a surfboard but the surfboard isn't making the trip with me. Could somebody recommend a place to rent one.

Thank you

Jens Hanson
608-669-4069

latino
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Marcos island wind direction( tiger tail )
South east wind: kite on the beach or(last far lagoon), side on shore
South s east: kite on the beach or (last far lagoon), on shore
South: kite on the beach or (last far Lagoon) on shore
South west: kite on the beach or (last far lagoon) side on shore
west: kite on the beach or( last far lagoon) side shore
North West: perfect for the last far lagoon
North east wind to east south east wind kite on the lagoon, wind is to gusty
But good to learn kite boarding
tiger tail beach has a big curve to the right west so depending where you are
the wind can change directions,

http://www.swfloridakiteboarding.com/Tigertail_Park_Map_sized.jpg
what not to do on marco island,tiger tail
local kiteboarders & visitors
1* don’t kiteboard on the first lagoon from east to west look picture, reasons the east part of the first lagoon, conception operates on that section, to the right side of the first lagoon is a bird sanctuary sometimes there is a rope but some times the current or storm wash the post and rope away if you don’t understand look at the picture.
2*this is a great kiteboarding spot so all local kiteboarders should not only respect this area but also protect it , if you see visiting kiteboarders please inform them of the protected areas, this way our kiteboarding privileges will not be taken away.
3*please remember to take a plastic bag, there are no trash cans and you need to keep the beach clean, wild life live in this area so please don’t trash the beach.

motzi
02-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Hello,

we come on Monday from Germany to Florida (Miami) and wanted possibly to come on Tuesdays to Marco Island.

My question: is it possible to park the car at S Beach Dr, start here and go by kite to the kite zone :confused: or is there anywhere private beach?

So long! Carsten
I think that would go perfectly on Tuesdays :rolleyes:

ricki
02-25-2010, 09:13 PM
As you can see from the satellite photo, South Beach Drive is opposite the "No Kite Zone." So the short answer is no. Public parking is to the south in the Park. People generally park there and walk up along the beach on to the sand bar to the green outlined areas, away from bathers.

There are three main problems at this launch from past kiter behavior that have brought pressure on access here. One is perceived threats to the wildlife in the wetlands of enclosed lagoons of the Park, hence the no kiting zones. I believe you have this same issue in some areas in Europe. Another is with regard to beach patrons in the swimming areas of the park. The last is to the private home owners along the riding area, treated to the odd lofted kiter or runaway kite.

This launch gets a lot of rider loading, likely too much. For those that ride there we really need to look after our access and effectively encourage others to do the same as Enrigue said. It isn't hard to do but finding another spot like this with fairly easy access for these wind directions would be far from easy. Thanks for asking!

motzi
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
No, I did´t mean the no kite zone ;) what I mean is the area around the Hideaway Beach Club or even further north.
But I almost thought that will be there no public access :( :( :(

ricki
02-25-2010, 11:04 PM
No, I did´t mean the no kite zone ;) what I mean is the area around the Hideaway Beach Club or even further north.
But I almost thought that will be there no public access :( :( :(

I suspect you are right about no public access and parking to the north. Latino can comment further. Most folks just park in the public parking lot to the south and walk. It isn't that bad.

motzi
02-26-2010, 07:42 AM
To me it would not matter ;) but for my sweetie it might perhaps it is better if I could start closer by car. Then she would not stand in the rain.
From Germany I don’t know this.Here you can go kiting wherever you want at 20kn+, because nobody has the idea to go out for swimming at 20kn and we also have not private beaches on the Baltic Sea. You could also at 20 kn starts in Heiligendamm (where the G8-Summit took place) and go kiting at this time.

The beach walkers are more excited when they become something to see.
Only the protection of nature you must be aware. And I found this is okay.

So long! Carsten