PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast Kiteboard Challenge

C. Moore
01-25-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.gulfcoastkiteboardchallenge.com/docs/flyer-sm.jpg

Full Size Flyer: http://www.gulfcoastkiteboardchallenge.com/docs/flyer.jpg

http://www.gulfcoastkiteboardchallenge.com

Pre-Registration opens Jan 29th on the website.

Thanks
Chris Moore

Water Monkey
01-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Follow us on facebook under the event, Gulf Coast Kiteboard Challenge.

kent
01-28-2010, 02:22 PM
killer we will be there with tons of S. Fla. riders. Are there any options for NE wind like we did in the bay a few times? It did give a pretty good chance of getting the event off. Although this year we are getting quite a few NW wind days. Also note the the guys at SW FL kiteboarding are keeping series points and will surely count this event. Thanks again. I'm looking forward to it.

ricki
01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Looks like a busy weekend from the calendar: http://fksa.org/calendar.php

Too bad as February and the rest of March have no scheduled events listed!

hrpufnstuf
03-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Seems to me that the priority for SAT the 13th should be the race if there is wind and the SUP stuff if there is no wind. Just my thoughts.

HR

Water Monkey
03-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Of course we will kite if there is favorable wind on the 13th for the event. The SUP race will go on either way as I have been running a stand up series with many stand up racers not being avid kiteboarders. Either way we are covered and can expect a great weekend!

hrpufnstuf
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Groovy!

HR

Steve-O
03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I know its a week out, but Accuweather is showing a front coming through next weekend for the race with NW conditions anywhere from 20-30+......Fingers are crossed. Might we get lucky 2 years in a row with a pre-race party event followed by a race the next day like last year???????

One thing is certain, we have had a hell of alot of fronts this year with lots of north and NW in it. And the fronts have been pretty strong.....so I'm thinking chances are good this race might happen.

Can I get a whooohooooooo!!!!!!!

Water Monkey
03-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Would be pretty lucky 2 years in a row! It's a wait game for now......

kent
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
wow, just got back to town. I can't believe that I didn't miss the east coast down wind race. it's been a NW year, lucky for you guys.

it does look pretty good for the tampa event this coming weekend. do you have pretty good interest? i think Damo will be in the DR this week for the Cab shoot, but we will bring the miami crew for the event. i sure hate the goofy thing though! i guess it's not so bad if the wind holds as predicted at wnw as it will be more of a reach.

fingers are crossed. see you there.

C. Moore
03-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Kent,

I hear you on the goofy thing. Lets keep our fingers crossed for wind this weekend, but since your in town and you can make it, that means no wind for us.

You were out of town last year which gave us some of the best wind in our race history.

Yes the first year's event was windy (actually it was nuclear) last years race was pretty steady wind all day. So Kent, are you sure you don't have anywhere to go? :)

-Chris

Steve-O
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Last years race had over 100 entries. Most people sign up last minute.

I believe we will have at least that and more this year. Lots of great riders in the area looking for that ultimate challenge.

Race details coming shortly covering:

Course
Start/Finish
Start Procedures
Trolley Info/Emergency Procedures
Day of Race check-in procedures
Awards Time and Place

Let's not forget that this is another charity event raising money for All-Children's Hospital. Sponsors have put up some great prizes for the raffle. Let's make it a goal to top last years donation to the hospital.

dwnwndr?
03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Steve-O, I'm in - I'll pay up on Friday!

kent
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
i know I saw it somewhere, but is there a rider meeting this weekend somewhere? it's still a long way out, but it seems like Saturday may be the day. the race will be very fast if the wind is out of the west. riding hard on the edge until the curve and then blast off to the finish! i know that quite a few people have had a hard time with races on the Gulf Coast given the goofy foot thing and often down wind orientation. In my opinion this will be a much easier race for 1st time down wind racers. If you ever wanted to give one a go where you don't have to ride far from the beach, it looks like this gulf coast race is for you.

i'm not sure, but i understand that Modica may be there for the finish helping out with Cabrinha. if you ever wanted to learn some killer strapless riding or just see some of the best, get over there to check him out. i know that he's getting ready for the KPWT wave event in Jamaica soon!

hrpufnstuf
03-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I REALLY think you should move the riders meeting to Friday and race Saturday. Your website says its on Satutday...the windy day.

HR

kent
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
thus far is the meeting for kites to be at the finish? if so, i can't imagine getting up to the start very early. is it possible to get a riders meeting in at the start early in the a.m.? if the race started by 10 or so, everyone should be finished by noon at the latest. You could still get in an SUP event afterward if anyone wanted to race in these winds.

I'm in either way, just tell me where to go and when to do it. thx guys.

BigR
04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Seeing as the next Week now shows the other side blowing (prolly for the duration of the season), maybe the organizers should shift the Challenge to Tampa Bay

kent
04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
no way Big R.... there are no swim buoys in the bay to cut!

you guys coming down to MIA for the Kite Masters this weekend? Should be a good turn out and tons of fun. Breeze on!

BigR
04-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I'd like to but we were just M1A a week ago for family and Lori goes next week to DC and following that we are in Hood River so she says just to chill in Da' Bay fer this week, kites out, dogs on the boat to the flats here......

Whitey
04-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Are the organizers still working towards doing this event this year?

Steve-O
04-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Chris has the ultimate say with this one, but I believe he will be waiting until Fall of 2010 to pull this race off. There are just too many people along the beaches this time of year to take the risk with kiters doing this run.

I think between OCT and DEC, there will be some opportunity to have the race.

C. Moore
04-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Been a while since I have been on the forum so sorry for the delayed post.

We are going to post-pone this until fall. Like Steve-O pointed out, we have to many beach goers on the beaches right now and not enough cold fronts in our future to make it worth wild.

-Chris

Gui
11-08-2010, 07:56 PM
As the season just started I was wondering what's the plan regarding the Gulf Coast Kiteboard Challenge ;-)

Steve-O
11-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Info coming soon.