PDA

View Full Version : Bull Shark Nails Spearfisherman Holding Cuda

ricki
01-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Imagine that? Details follow:

"Miami diver bitten by bull shark
It was reported that he was spearfishing.

Elliott Key diver bitten by shark expected to live - South Florida - MiamiHerald.com
A Miami-Dade man bitten by a bull shark Wednesday morning is expected to undergo surgery to repair his lacerated arm.

The attack occurred while the man was spearfishing near Elliott Key and snagged a barracuda. A nearby bull shark lunged for the fish and ended up biting the man.

The injury is not life-threatening, said Bethany Rundell, a South Miami Hospital spokeswoman.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue met the victim, who was rushed to the Matheson Hammock Marina about 10:40 a.m., said fire spokeswoman Cristina Armand.

-- LUISA YANEZ"
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/1413295.html

and

"Shark Attacks Man Spear-Fishing Off Boat
Witness: Shark Bites Man's Arm As He Reels In Fish

POSTED: Wednesday, January 6, 2010

MIAMI -- A shark bit a man who was spear-fishing for barracuda about 20 miles out to sea on Wednesday morning.

Lazaro Cabrera said he and his friend, 32-year-old Dreyser Chirino, were spear-fishing barracuda about 20 miles out to sea at the time of the attack. He said he and his friend were in wet suits in 30 feet of water.

Cabrera said Chirino had just speared a barracuda when a 12- to 14-foot bull shark went for the fish and bit Chirino's arm along with it.

"The shark confused the 'cuda with his arm and grabbed his arm instead," said a man named Francisco, who helped Chirino.

Cabrera said he used a tourniquet to stanch the bleeding during the 25-minute boat ride back to the Matheson Hammock Marina, calling for help on the way.

Paramedics met them at the marina and rushed Chirino to South Miami Hospital. He was undergoing surgery on Wednesday evening, and doctors said he is expected to be OK.

Cabrera said he and Chirino often spear-fish with sharks nearby, but this is the first time something like this has happened."

Video at the same link:
http://www.justnews.com/news/22149831/detail.html

More at:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/318532-miami-diver-bitten-bull-shark.html

ricki
01-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Wow, 20 miles out to sea in 30 ft. of water. Someone should call the coastguard, the reporter is lost? Sort of a turnaround scenario on Paul's go to with the cuda and sharks.

kent
01-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Wow, fast boat too! only 25 mins. to cover 20 miles. I wonder what the fuel consumption rate was? Also, if they saw a 12-14 ft. Bull Shark they should have shot it... this would clearly be a world record for a Bull as they generally don't exceed 7-8 ft. often.

ricki
01-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Wow, fast boat too! only 25 mins. to cover 20 miles. I wonder what the fuel consumption rate was? Also, if they saw a 12-14 ft. Bull Shark they should have shot it... this would clearly be a world record for a Bull as they generally don't exceed 7-8 ft. often.

Reminds me of other poorly written pieces. The numbers provided are irrelevant, you just have to have them, any numbers. Recall a story of a plane that went down off Ft. Lauderdale, six miles offshore in 60 ft. of water? Wonder if they are as exacting with the numbers on their paychecks? Could be small numbers come to think of it.

That is a big bull to be sure. Are the females usually larger than the male bulls as in the case of Caribbean Reef Sharks? I've even learned how to tell the sex of the Caribbeans, by five o'clock shadow? No, by claspers, those sausage shaped extensions on the anal fins. Guy sharks got 'em and female sharks wish they did (according to Dr. Burgess). Video to follow on that soon as I get the sound track sorted out.

Whitey
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Kent, I think you should look into the hull design on that boat. Any bottom shape that will get them to 70 mph with a single 150 outboard might be something we could work into a race board design.