PDA

View Full Version : Is this cold for real

The Kite House
01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Ok, so its blowing 25 knots here, but holy crap cold. Is it time to move further south? Ya gotta love el nino!

you guys kiting up there on the main land?

ricki
01-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok, so its blowing 25 knots here, but holy crap cold. Is it time to move further south? Ya gotta love el nino!

you guys kiting up there on the main land?

Been side offshore here for about 12 days in the SE. Supposed to get particularly balmy up here tonight at around 30 F.

Hey Paul, didn't think anyone in Key West had wetsuits, what you boys using against the chill, bear grease?

How about folks on the west coast? Bet you folks have been loving all these westerly winds. Also, did it snow in Cocoa Beach yesterday for the kite event?

Steve-O
01-11-2010, 06:57 AM
The winds in Tampa have be mostly north. One has to cover everything in order to get out. Alot of folks are passing up good wind for warmer days. One guy said he drove all over looking for riders and couldn't find a soul. I can see why folks fly south for the winter.

Whitey
01-11-2010, 07:38 AM
There are about a dozen of us with the most severe form of the habit that are riding in this, up here in the Tampa Bay area. 27 degrees here this morning. Rode yesterday in water + air temp total of 89 or less. It really makes you appreciate what we have here most of the year.

We were talking yesterday about the potential sea breezes this will create in the spring / early summer when the land is 85 - 90 and the water is 65, could be really special this year.

Unimog Bob
01-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I've been in this area for 41 years now. This is about as cold as it gets (for a week or so straight anyway). Yesterday felt pretty cold when I fell in. :o
I don't wear gloves or booties though, so.... ;)

In terms of the Gulf "staying cold" and having epic seabreezes due to the water temps, I wouldn't bank on that. The Gulf is so shallow that it tends to heat up pretty quickly, despite how low the water temps get during the winter. So, we may have a great spring wind-wise, but it won't be because water temps will stay cool while 85 degree plus winds around. It's just not how the Gulf works.

clamike
02-09-2010, 08:30 AM
next time you all just have to hop on a quick plane to the Cayman Islands. It was windy and cold here too, but the temp. only got down to 64F on the coldest night.... not too bad, still just in shorty wetsuits..... You are right Paul, time to move further south

thekitesurfcentre
02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
snow on the beach here, nasty! this spring is going to be freezing

kitesurfing lessons london (http://www.thekitesurfcentre.com/kitesurfing-lessons-school-london)

ricki
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
snow on the beach here, nasty! this spring is going to be freezing

Where is here? I agree, it could be cooler than normal in parts. At the lighter end of the spectrum went free diving for a few hours today off Ft. Lauderdale. Wore a full 3 mm suit, with a 3 mm vest and hood AND a 2 mm vest/bc. Still got cold near the end, wasn't kicking much though which may have helped. Scooters can really strip heat off you.