PDA

View Full Version : Skim Boarding

Gator Gris
01-05-2010, 06:25 AM
There was a good turn-out at the south Skyway Saturday morning on a north wind at low tide. The conditions were good, cold, and rideable. Towards the end of my session, I wished I had a skimboard to cruise the plentiful 7" deep water.

A month ago I saw coach Bill (back from the Red Sea) tearing it up at EB on a cool looking skim board. Does anyone know what brand and style skim board he was using?

I am trying to find one big enough with small fins for my fat ass.

Gris

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
any skim's a good skim;)
Try the new Slingshots, they're pretty big and come with fins. Rides really well in the chop too.

Gator Gris
01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey man, I saw the Arcane and the Scud on the web site. Can you get the big sizes of these boards to demo?

UTM!

Gris

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
01-06-2010, 06:54 AM
No I don't have them, but both are around for demo. Check with Matt Sexton, he can point you in the right direction on the Slingys.
Also, Danny is selling that Hyperlite wakesurfer for a great price, which looks like a very fun board to kite on.
My Zap fish is really undersized for kiting but you're welcome to take a spin on it anytime. It is incredibly fun!
What I love about about skimming is:
feeling overpowered and totally out of control in 15 knots( or 30!):p

being able to ride in 4" of water- on low tide you will have EB or SW to yourself. I recommend gloves if you're in the shallows-I got a lot of hand cuts bracing my falls when learning.

The stoke of being a newbie all over again! You'll be shocked at how much you learn without fins or straps regarding kite control, body positioning, and going upwind.
Just be ready to leave the twinnie in the car and get lots of "dirty diapers" from crashing.
Check out Lose The Straps, there's a ton of good info over there.

Steve-O
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Wakesurfers by Hyperlite, Liquid Force, and Ronix can be a cool option. They are oversized skim boards IMO with fins and have the added bonus of a foam deck over the top for traction.

Compared to skim boards, they are priced well under.

http://www.watersportswest.com/shopcart/agora.cgi?product=SurfSkate&ppinc=menu1

Check out our website if you haven't had a chance.