PDA

View Full Version : Where is the wind?

urjc22
11-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Will be down in the Keys from Nov. 23 to Nov. 29 and it seems like the wind season has been slow to start?

noel
11-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Actually this is pretty normal. Winds usually start @ middle to end of November. Been kind of dead for a week or two but a few morning sessions if you are ready for it. We're waiting for you to bring the wind with you.

Otherside Boardsports
www.othersideboardsports.com

troubleshooter
11-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Actually, last year we had our first big wind front the 3rd day of September. 3more back to back 20 knot fronts through September and 3 more in October followed. That was sweet. This sucks.

noel
11-19-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm only saying that on average, this is normal. Last year was probably the exception. Of course when was the last time you remember (hurricanes don't count) a high pressure system giving us 30-40 mph winds for 4-5 days so early in the season?

urjc22
11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
How many days out do you guys generally look at the forecast? As of now, doesn't look like any wind within the next week.

troubleshooter
11-19-2009, 07:42 PM
This time of year (frontal season) if you see a blip on the long term forecast (usually a week out) that means something is coming. The day it comes may be delayed a day or move up a day. Look for the blips that start with a wind shift with light variable winds the day before then a 15-20 knot forecast usually E to NE starting the following day. Forecasyt are usually solid 3 days and earlier.

Last year was an exception but we can only hope. This seasons frequency really does suck so far. I think it all got packed into that 30+ system.

jim
11-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Interesting that we have had more seabreezes this season in sarasota than usual so far.Rideable at 15+many days of the week.Supposedly this is a strong el nino year and from what I'm told that means more west winds-maybe thats shutting down the prevailing east wind you guys in the keys get? Hope your season gets going!

Safe_Cracker
11-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I come down every year and there is usually wind, what happened didn't you guys do your wind dance lol ? I will start my dance maybe if we all do it together haha...:p

Polo...

noel
11-21-2009, 10:18 AM
And all of a sudden, BAM! The forecast changes and there's 20 knots for tuesday afternoon and wednesday and more for friday.

troubleshooter
11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I see a blip comin in Thursday to Friday with a wind shift and increase but what do you see Tuesday and Wednesday?

noel
11-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Iliesurf does this sometimes and I jumped the gun. Rode this morning powered on my 14 for an hour or so. Big board ridable till 1:00. Tuesday is down but still looking rideable. Friday and saturday are starting to look better.

Otherside Boardsports
www.othersideboardsports.com

Pedro
11-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Just arrived in Florida and plan on hitting the Keys early Tuesday morning...probably Whale Harbor to start out....forecast calls for 10mph-15mph (Tuesday-Thursday)....oh well....hopefully can do something with big kite-big board combo on that....

Tried looking elsewhere in the state, thinking I would surely find a better forecast this time of the year....nothing, unfortunately....

If no wind, then stand up paddle with stone crabs and lobster every day! :lol:

conchxpress
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Pedro, If you get to Key West and still not much wind, there are a couple of places to rent SUPs if you didn't bring your own. There is a Kayak/SUP concession at the Hurricane Hole Marina just over the bridge from KW on Stock Island. They have Jimmy Lewis boards. Also at the beach on the Atlantic end of Duval, the beach boy, Juan - calls himself Juan de la playa - has a couple of boards for rent. He's got a Laird, a C4 HoloHolo, and a 16 foot race board. The 16 footer is a killer board.

Up near Whale Harbor, I know OtherSideBoardSports rents boards. Not sure of the brands.

Buenos Vientos