PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Length

conchxpress
08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
There seems to be a lot of different ideas on the "perfect" paddle length. Some manufacturers say 8-10 inches greater than your height, some say 7 inches. Some people advocate a shaka(we all know what that is right - hang loose), some authorities recommend a shaka and a fist, which in my case turns out to be about 10 inches. I'm 5'11" and I use an 80" which is great for me, although at times I'd like an 82. I understand that in the surf, a shorter paddle may be ideal. So what's the answer here? Answer: whatever works for you. So the solution may be buying an adjustable paddle as your first one (or renting one) and trying out the different lengths, then go from there.

ricki
08-10-2009, 09:02 PM
We go with about 7 inches. Your point about starting with an adjustable paddle is a good idea. One thing you want to avoid is messing up your shoulder by using too long a paddle or hyperextending too far. It would be good to learn what other folks use.

conchxpress
08-11-2009, 04:52 PM
At 7 inches, I would feel like I was bending over too much. I like a more erect posture with butt tucked in allowing more of a leg drive at the finish. I seem to get more glide that way. Then again, I started with an 80 which is 9" above my head so I don't really have anything to compare it to. If I meet up with someone who has a 77, I'll give it a try.

Whitey
08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
82" wish it was longer at times. I'm 6'-0" tall.
I think that the width of the board has something to do with the comfort of the paddle length. If the board is really wide then the paddle has to be longer to reach the same depth in the water than it would if the board is narrow and the angle of the paddle is closer to straight up and down. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but I know what I mean.