PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a surf board leash

highroller
07-11-2009, 08:32 AM
To put to a board to teach kiting to my girlfriend. Anybody have an extra one laying around that they want to give away or sell cheap????

conchxpress
07-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Why would you want to? Teach her the proper upwind body drag first - forget the dangerous leash.

greg meintjes
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
You do not ever want to use a board leash when kiting, if you are teaching your gilfriend ,make sure you teach her the basics like body dragging first. Board leashes are very dangerous when kiting, even ones with the reel.

Greg

highroller
07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
ok ... just to clear this up to everyone I put my GF through the IKO course so its not like I am doing this with no certified training before hand. So what you are all telling me is that now a days they teach the board start with no leash and just body dragging upwind ....

if that is the case I will have her practice with no leash then!!

conchxpress
07-13-2009, 01:29 PM
If you search board leashes on this forum, and other kite forums, you will soon recognize the potential for injury with board leashes. And the upwind bodydragging will only enhance her kite skills. If she took a recent IKO course, they shouldn't have had her use a leash anyway.

highroller
07-13-2009, 01:41 PM
got it ... nevermind the post ... I guess I was just outdated on how I had been taught many years ago ...

upwind body dragging it is!!!

ricki
07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Well done Felipe. Hey I had several nifty board leashes to go with equally antiquated directionals. Times change, it is good to have new options. Body dragging upwind is fairly easy to learn with proper instruction. I believe it should be taught before water starting. Too many instructors in the past blew it off as leashes made things so much easier, and dangerous?! I hope this is becoming far less common these days.

highroller
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
yep ... I was taught with a leash after being taught body dragging so that is why I was looking for one but as you said in this sport safety is key ....

I much rather make sure she has upwind body dragging down ... thanks guys!