PDA

View Full Version : Lifeguard Problem

ricki
04-18-2009, 10:13 PM
The problem is with some of us, not lifeguards.

I just spoke with a lifeguard supervisor and friend of many years at an area beach today. We've worked on lifeguard orientations to kiting as far back as 2001. I asked him how it was going with local kiters, he shook his head and said they're about to give up (on us). If that happens there could be yet another ban in SE Florida to join the other actual and threatened bans.

What's the problem? The usual.

Guys riding inside swim area buoys, too close to bystanders, newbies rigging up among other beach patrons without a clue how to fly or avoid tangling others up. The guards try to reason with the kiter, here's the touchy part, the guards get disrespect, lip service or the like. I was told the problem was more to do with new and out of area kiters as opposed to most experienced local kiters. He said some of the experienced guys talk to the problem kiters at times which is appreciated.

Guards have a full time job looking out for public safety. It isn't easy, doesn't pay barrels of money but they do it despite weather, crowds, lost kids, drunks or the odd annoying kiter. They are there to save lives and deserve our respect.

- So, if you're kiting or about to and a guard asks you to do something, why not just do it? Without a bunch of griping or insults.

- More likely, if you see a kiter doing something wrong, likely to cause problems for himself and US, go talk to him. You're doing yourself a favor even if it doesn't seem like it.

- Here's a newsflash, new kiters need to be far away from bystanders both on the beach and in the water. Help convince people about this as it is in their interest as well as ours.

So, please help keep your access in place, too many areas are under threat of restrictions. Show lifeguards respect and if you can talk to some of our own, why not do it? The access you preserve may be your own.

greg meintjes
04-19-2009, 06:46 AM
We get that on a regular basis on Smathers beach, Kiters will set their stuff up and launch right in the swim areas , when they can see we are all kiting further up the beach, and although some of these guys are newbies, most of the people I have gone down and spoken to are experienced riders with a few years experience. The excuses that I get range from '''I know I should be riding up there ,but my friends are down here, to I just wanted to ride for 20 minutes or I know what I am doing, I am an instructor'''

We don't have any lifeguards on our beach, which I believe actually helps us from problems, but out of all the locals we have riding down here, most will agree that the person setting up in the swimming area is inconsiderate or just a plain idiot but only one or two of them will make the effort to go and approach them and try get them to move up and kite with us.

Greg

ricki
04-19-2009, 06:23 PM
We get that on a regular basis on Smathers beach, Kiters will set their stuff up and launch right in the swim areas , when they can see we are all kiting further up the beach, and although some of these guys are newbies, most of the people I have gone down and spoken to are experienced riders with a few years experience. The excuses that I get range from '''I know I should be riding up there ,but my friends are down here, to I just wanted to ride for 20 minutes or I know what I am doing, I am an instructor'''

We don't have any lifeguards on our beach, which I believe actually helps us from problems, but out of all the locals we have riding down here, most will agree that the person setting up in the swimming area is inconsiderate or just a plain idiot but only one or two of them will make the effort to go and approach them and try get them to move up and kite with us.

Greg

So, in your case Greg, the majority are from off island. Given demographics in KW it makes sense. Still, it would be good to get the word out about how things need to be approached there. A summary of things appears at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?p=30970

Has that set of rules changed Greg? If so, I should update it.

Any other input out there? As old as this sport is, it really sucks that we're still risking loss of access.

greg meintjes
04-20-2009, 05:26 AM
Most problems are caused by visitors , but a few local riders also do not care about setting an example by riding irresponsibly etc, on Friday we were all on 8m and 9m ,s and there was some guy trying to teach his buddy on an 11m, so we still have problems. A lot of the newer riders are starting to ride more responsibly and we have got a great crowd forming down here. The city is in the process of designating the area where we kite as a kiting area with signs for us, but this is a long process with lots of behind the scenes bullshit involved.

Greg

ricki
04-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Most problems are caused by visitors , but a few local riders also do not care about setting an example by riding irresponsibly etc, on Friday we were all on 8m and 9m ,s and there was some guy trying to teach his buddy on an 11m, so we still have problems. A lot of the newer riders are starting to ride more responsibly and we have got a great crowd forming down here. The city is in the process of designating the area where we kite as a kiting area with signs for us, but this is a long process with lots of behind the scenes bullshit involved.

Greg

The unofficial kiteboarding instructors, the most impacting ones I see not uncommonly are two guys who have no idea what they are doing, teaching one another. Our sport looks so easy and harmless after all? Rigged too big and in the wrong location on top of it, not good. How often is this played out in other areas? Better still, what to try to do about it? Raising awareness of what should be done, what not and what can go wrong seems an obvious direction. Other ideas and experiences?