PDA

View Full Version : Miami in November

K3rM1t
10-24-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm headed out to the Miami Beach area for work the first week in November and was planning on bringing my kites for some R&R. After reading the forum, Miami sounds like it's not at all kite friendly and I could use a little advice.

I'll be staying on the beach near 41st street and won't be renting a car unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm from southern california and have been kiting for almost 3 years and am comfortable riding in the ocean, staying upwind and jumping and would easily be a IKO level III rider, but have never been certified (no need out here yet).

So, should I pack my kites? Is there anywhere along that huge beach that is kite friendly? If so, what size kite/s would be best?

If not, where would the best, closest, place be to rig up? Are there any locals out there that would like to show off the right coast to a left coaster?

Thanks!

--Will

bigkite
10-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Hello Will,

It's great to hear that you are coming into town to KiteSurf!

How much do you weigh and how tall are you? This way I can advise you what kite sizes to bring.

Let's say: 9mts, 12mts or 16mts.

There is a beach fairly close to where you will be staying. The rules are that you need to use a leash, helmet and vest. I advise you to do so.
Also, if you have time try to acquire your Level 3 Rider certification.

BigKite is a local Kite School and provides this kind of Certification as well as Information for you.
BigKite can also, pick and drive you to different locations if you request to do so.

visit: www.bigkite.net

Kind Regards,

Miguel

K3rM1t
10-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks Miguel!

Guess I left out my stats. I'm 175lbs and 5'11". With my boards I usually ride my 16 up to about 16mph winds and then can ride my 12. I have yet to need anything smaller as so-cal doesn't get that windy much. If you think it's might get windy enough for a 9 I can bring one.

Which beach are you refering to that's close to where I'll be?

I won't be able to get a cert before I go, but I figured if there wasn't a beach close I'd burn an afternoon with some instructor and get my cert.

Btw- Did you mean kite leash or board leash? I assume kite leash. I can't stand board leashes. I've also never riden with a vest, but I guess it can't hurt and wouldn't be bad to have.