PDA

View Full Version : coming down to Ft Myers area week of 4/6

scott540
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi, I will be down in the area next week . We're taking a houseboat outta Ft Myers and heading to Sanibel, Captiva - staying at tween the waters marina and then heading up to Cayo Costa. I'm a fairly new kiter on the water, done mostly skiing snowboarding up her in WI in the winter. Can any body give me some good ideas for kiting around Captiva or Cayo Costa? Thanks

ricki
04-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Hi, I will be down in the area next week . We're taking a houseboat outta Ft Myers and heading to Sanibel, Captiva - staying at tween the waters marina and then heading up to Cayo Costa. I'm a fairly new kiter on the water, done mostly skiing snowboarding up her in WI in the winter. Can any body give me some good ideas for kiting around Captiva or Cayo Costa? Thanks

I've very limited experience in the area with a boat. Have some photos of the eastern shore of some of the islands that I will see if I can find and put up. It would be good to hear from a kiter who has boated around those parts to launches. There is some information at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2099 Wind direction and speed will factor in areas comfortable to access and anchor off of. If you're on the windward shore of a launch area and winds have been up, it may be a bit rough for anchoring unless you're in the lee of a sand bar or something. Such conditions do exist in many areas there. Anchoring off Sanibel Light may or may not be that great idea depending on conditions. Further north up the islands I would guess anchoring might be a bit easier in easterly winds. If strong west winds come you may be compelled to anchor in the lee or east side of the islands and walk to the windward or ride over land wind shadow, currents and other issues permitting. In addition to that you should have access to unique spots by boat. Having experience navigating in the area would be a plus but as I recall the channel along the east side of the barrier islands is well marked. There are frequent sand bars, good for kiting and running aground if you allow it. Not sure about tidal influence on conditions or currents particularly at the ends of islands and around cuts but it might be significant. They likely have good anchorages marked on the NOAA charts I would think in the area.

I would spend some time on google earth zooming in and panning along the islands and with NOAA nav charts for the area. I would then talk to local kiters who have been there ideally or at worse with marina staff or others knowledgeable about the area. The wind might be from any direction but if things run to normal, may be out of easterly directions more than others. If a strong front comes along it could honk strong out of the NW though changing your riding and boating venue. Latino with www.swfloridakiteboarding.com may be able to help you with some more local info. Some weather links for the area appear at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6737 You can find more info by searching this site under the various island names.

Have a good trip!

scott540
04-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all of the great info Rick. Since we're on a houseboat, we will always be anchored on the East Side of the islands and we will be mainly north of Sanibel Light. We do have a dingy and some kayaks to get to other areas. Looking forward to doing some exploring down there and getting out of the snow and into some warmer water.