PDA

View Full Version : Quad fin?

wdewilde
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
All,
I am looking to start ridding a dedicated strapped Surf Board. After the Kite race last week and observing so many ripping it up on these types of boards I want to get started riding one. I am looking for some sage advice from the people that have been riding that type for a while and what is the best option for me. I currently ride twin tips Nobile /Cabrinha /North. I am 6 foot and 200 pounds, thoughts?

shogun1204
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I ride my buddies LF Rawson board and the JL surfboards. I highly recommend either one of those surfboards.

Kitespear813
03-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I ride a custom 5'8 quad from coylesurfboards.com in new smyrna, Chris is an awesome shaper and a kiteboard instructor.

BigR
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
If you are gonna ride mainly in the gulf waves then choose a quad not a tri.

tri's are for bigger waves with glassier surfaces, quads are for our choppy type smaller waves. quads plane up quicker than tri's but cannot hold as much wind as tri's. also, quads pivot on turns whereas tri's carve on turns.

I am just over 200# and use a 5'9" quad, as well as a 5'5" quad, 5'6" tri and 6'1" tri, but the 5'9" is my go to for board for most of our conditions here

an important consideration to choose is your rocker line and rail softness, I would do flatter rocker and soft rails for our conditions

DO get full deck pads, with or without footstraps they are wayyyyyyyyy better than bare deck