PDA

View Full Version : HAS ANY ONE HEARD OF THE GK SONIC

sean
10-09-2005, 03:36 AM
HAS ANY ONE HEARD OF THE GK SONIC AND HOW DOES IT COPARE TO THE CROSS BOW

ricki
10-09-2005, 07:53 PM
HAS ANY ONE HEARD OF THE GK SONIC AND HOW DOES IT COPARE TO THE CROSS BOW

I sent an email off to Greg of Globerider Kites regarding your question. He should reply directly here.

sean
10-15-2005, 05:24 AM
any one going to help????????????????????????????????????????

bigkite
10-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Sean,

what's up buddy. It's Miguel

the main idea behind the GK Sonic is that they pattented at system that reduces the amount of bridle lines that other bow kites carry.

In my opinion making it less complicated to attach and differenciate middle from outside lines for first time users.

The middle line attachment swivels up and down the line that stabilizes and connects to the trailing edge control.

Kind regards,

Miguel

ricki
10-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the input Miguel. I understand that the Sonic and Crossbow have differing shapes, presence and absence of pulleys and variances in bridling. Can anyone comment upon the influence of these differences on performance? I understand the Bow kites have impressive gust handling characterisitics. For a given kite size, say something around 11 to 12 m, what would you estimate the upper end to be? How does the kite behave near the upper wind limit?

Thanks!

GK
10-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi guys,
sorry for the delayed response, lost my old password and had to re-register.

We had an 11m Sonic here for testing for about 2 weeks after SurfExpo. Had to send it to Cali after that, but I'm getting more in about a week. We'll be scheduling demos around the state and I'll post them here.

The kite is simply amazing. The range is huge, it has really light bar pressure but super responsive. The jumps are big and floaty. Relaunch is effortless. Here is a link to some great pictures and reviews by different riders.
http://212.67.202.47/%7Etonyshep/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=5651

The key to the Sonic's performance is the KPO system on the front bridle. This simple mechanism balances the kite perfectly on the front lines by allowing the kite to rock back and forth as it sheets in and out.

I'll be glad to answer any of your questions.

Greg K

GK
10-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Forgot to mention, retail price in the US for the 11m... $1380 complete w/ bar and bypass leash. Not bad when you condider this kite will replace 2 or 3 of your classic C kites. I can't wait to travel with only one kite!

GK

Wolfie
10-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Where would one be able to purchase one of these fine kites if one were so inclined? I have not been able to find them on the web in the US.

GK
10-19-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi Wolfie
I will have 11m and 14m Sonics in stock by November 15th. My first shipment due in 2 weeks is already sold out! Contact me if you want to get on the waiting list. info@usakite.com

Thanks,
Greg

sean
10-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Well i tried the two kites sonik was good but the x bow blew the shit out of the sonic i think the sonic will be a graet kite once they get the bar wright
have bought the 16m x bow will buy the sonic 11m next year if the get the bar wright

GK
10-22-2005, 06:24 AM
What did you find was wrong with the Sonic bar? You're probably the first person I know of who prefers the X-bow bar over the Sonic bar. All of my friends who own X-bows really like the Sonic bar more, just for the simplicity. They have asked me if they can order just a bar to use with the x-bows they already own. I have to explain that this bar won't work the same way with their kite.

Where did you try a Sonic? Just curious.

GK

ricki
10-22-2005, 11:44 AM
What did you find was wrong with the Sonic bar? You're probably the first person I know of who prefers the X-bow bar over the Sonic bar. All of my friends who own X-bows really like the Sonic bar more, just for the simplicity. They have asked me if they can order just a bar to use with the x-bows they already own. I have to explain that this bar won't work the same way with their kite.

Where did you try a Sonic? Just curious.

GK

Good questions GK. Would you have a closeup image of the Sonic bar that you could upload? I haven't seen one before and would like to see how it is setup.

GK
10-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Here you go Rick...

http://www.airjam.co.uk/Sonic_Bar_2.jpg
Here's a shot showing how the sheet cleat works.
The cleat is on the bottom of the bar, very nice.

http://www.airjam.co.uk/Sonic_sam1.jpg
Here you can see how simple the bar is.

http://www.airjam.co.uk/Sonic_mattT1.jpg
Unhooked, no problem.

http://www.airjam.co.uk/Sonic_matt_tailg1.jpg
Hooked in, one handed. Super light bar pressure.

http://www.taklaman.com/images/SonicStopper.gif
This shows the stopper ball. It uses a small piece of PU tubing
that fits inside the spectra CL line. The stopper jams down
on the tubing in order to stop the bar. To blow the bar
you just push it away. The ball pops off and the PU tube is thin
enough to pass through the bar. You can adjust the tubing
wherever you want it.

http://212.67.202.47/~tonyshep/webpics/sonic1.jpg
The Sonic completely depowered in 20+ kts. If you drop the bar
the kite will fall to the edge of the window and sit on its wingtip
until you recover the bar.

Hopefully I'll have mine next week! Can't wait.

GK

ricki
10-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the great shots GK! That is one simple bar design. There is a jam cleat on the underside of the bar? The front line pressue is sufficiently light at all times that you don't need the normal pulley reduction to be able to pull it?

The minute power control in these bows is impressive. I liken it, in only two VERY light wind sessions so far, to snowboarding in deep powder vs. skiing. With a snowboard it is EASY to have minute control with minimal exertion. Skiing, for me anyway, it takes more technique and exertion to control speed in deep powder.

Neat stuff!

sean
10-23-2005, 11:57 PM
i tryed out the sonic in melbourne Australia @ stkilda beach the guys had pulled out the stopper and rigged up a elastic line to hold the bar in a nutral possi it did not look right. It is posibal the guys trying to sell the kites are not up to speed with how the hole depower thing as for bar presure i love it as i am a huge water ski one again to date the x bow is the best kite i have

GK
10-24-2005, 06:18 AM
It is posibal the guys trying to sell the kites are not up to speed with how the hole depower thing

I think you're right Sean. I saw on the Stonker website that Alex had invented his own bar modification instead of using the stopper as it was designed. This could be very dangerous! I think that when they received their first kites the stopper was not a part of it. I hope they have changed this now!
I'm glad you like your x-bow, my friend is very happy with his, its an awesome kite.
Take care,
Greg

ricki
11-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Hello Greg,

It was great to see you last weekend and to tryout the 11 m Sonic. The bar pressure certainly is light. I didn't experience the stalling you warned might happen but it seems that most of the new flat kites have some quirks. I was intrigued by the different riding dynamics with the kite from normal C kites. Sheeting in and out during turns is an interesting thing to play with and really can bump the power up. Having all that wind to play with made things even better. I have some photos to process and assemble into an article, coming soon. It was a good session, thanks!

highroller
11-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow that looks like an amazing kite. Wish I could get my hands on one. Anybody selling a used one????

ricki
11-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Wow that looks like an amazing kite. Wish I could get my hands on one. Anybody selling a used one????

In time I suspect there will be some used ones out there Felipe. For now it is hard to come by new ones. I understand GK should have some new kites available for purchase in a few weeks. It is great to see the industry working hard on new innovations to help us to grab more fun time on the water.